Karen Traviss

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote: It would be like sitting down to watch and episode of the 50s TV show "Happy Days", and the Fonz is suddenly gay.
I take it you mean the time period the show ostensibly takes place in, right, and not the 70s, the decade the show was actually made in? ;)

But incidentally, I remember hearing somewhere about a gay character, or a gay-related aesop, being contemplated for an episode of Happy Days that got nixed not very far into the production process at all. And I'm not referring to the younger Cunningham having the sudden hots for Scott Baio's Chachi in that one Family Guy skit. Even if you figure that Scott Baio was sufficiently androgynous such that we can both fantasize about him and it won't be considered gay :p

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:21 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote: It would be like sitting down to watch and episode of the 50s TV show "Happy Days", and the Fonz is suddenly gay.
I take it you mean the time period the show ostensibly takes place in, right, and not the 70s, the decade the show was actually made in? ;)

But incidentally, I remember hearing somewhere about a gay character, or a gay-related aesop, being contemplated for an episode of Happy Days that got nixed not very far into the production process at all. And I'm not referring to the younger Cunningham having the sudden hots for Scott Baio's Chachi in that one Family Guy skit. Even if you figure that Scott Baio was sufficiently androgynous such that we can both fantasize about him and it won't be considered gay :p
...and no one would be gay, if you want to be precise. Also, neither of those scenes were in the same episode. The "androgynous" scene was actually in "Meet the Quagmires", the "Back to the Future" parody.

Well, yes, I was referring to the era that the show was recreating, but, to be honest, I had no idea that it was made in the 70s. I wasn't even close to having been born for either era, so I wasn't really concerned. I mean, both eras took place before the world had any meaning...;)

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:28 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote: ...and no one would be gay, if you want to be precise. Also, neither of those scenes were in the same episode. The "androgynous" scene was actually in "Meet the Quagmires", the "Back to the Future" parody.
I know, but I am contractually obligated by the manatees to mention both references to Scott Baio :)