Star Wars/Star Trek "Must See/Read" list

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
SpacePaladin
Padawan

Re: Star Wars/Star Trek "Must See/Read" list

Post by SpacePaladin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:01 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Sothis wrote:Darth Plaguieus (sure I spelt that wrong but meh) is a good read. I think it's designed to make us hate Palpatine all the more. Any chance that he may have had redeemable qualities ends with this book.
You mean they protray Plagueis as a sort of "grey area" guy who might have represented a better future, perhaps, because he wandered where the Jedi were to afraid to go?
Or was he painted as a plain badass vilain we wish had still been there?
I think Sothis is just talking about Palpatine in the context of the post. Based on what I've read on websites, they depict Palpatine as a power-hungry monster who isn't doing what he's doing for any sort of greater good. He enjoys what he does, and he enjoys the methods that he uses to achieve power, and revels in the suffering that it causes. Plaguieus' depiction isn't really the crux of the post.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Considering the name of the book, I thought the portrayal of Palpatine was contrasted against that of Plagueis.
Anyway, in the movies, there never has been one single redeeming trait at all I could find.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Considering the name of the book, I thought the portrayal of Palpatine was contrasted against that of Plagueis.
Anyway, in the movies, there never has been one single redeeming trait at all I could find.
I don't see a way to place spoiler tags so what I say next is unfortunately something of a big spoiler:

There's a point in the book where a young Palpatine is being taken from Naboo by his father to get him away from Plagueis' influence. Palpatine isn't truly aware of what he can do but in a fit of Force rage kills his entire family - and doesn't show any remorse or regret over this.

ShirleyArcam

Star Wars/Star Trek "Must See/Read" list

Post by ShirleyArcam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am

I read a few of these. It was pretty neat to see the Star Wars characters drawn in anime-style.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:37 am

its a trap!

prolly, I ain't even clicking on that.