Keanu Reeves in The Day The Earth Stood Still and what it me

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Flectarn wrote:anyway, wasn't this thread supposed to be about it's relation to star trek?
Actually, yes, it was. I was trying to raise the possibility that the movie could be used as a barometer as such in order to try and predict what kind of movie the upcoming Star Trek movie will be, based on the fact that both are regarded as classic 1950-1960's sci-fi.

I am, however, forced to concede that this conclusion is flawed and this "experiment" a wash due to the likely divergent messages and themes the two movies are likely to have (as Flectarn pointed out, TDTESS seems to be more of a heavy-handed Aesop vehicle, while the upcoming Star Trek film is being advertised as almost a pure action flick).

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:27 am

Flectarn wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: yeah, they took the line in the matrix about humanity being a virus, wrapped it in a cloak of a classic and turned it into a movie. It's environmentalism (anti-humanism really) is so heavy handed (and point missing) it made me cringe and I'm in the bloody green party. There is some stuff at the end where klaatu relizes the good in humanity (love, i think) and stops his nano-bot swarm. moreover I don't get why he was trying to get the UN this time... he wasn't going to give us a message that meant anything other than you die now.
meh

anyway, wasn't this thread supposed to be about it's relation to star trek?
Well to be honest when it comes to this sad, sad excuse of a remake I cannot find any relationship. Star Trek is all about hope for a better future and so on and the ESS remake is just pure absolute anti humanism and nihilism promoted by the insane Hollywood left in a nearly 2 hour package.