Keanu Reeves in The Day The Earth Stood Still and what it me

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Keanu Reeves in The Day The Earth Stood Still and what it me

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:47 am

Reposting this from GameFAQs; BTW, if you're wondering why this is here, the full title is supposed to be "Keanu Reeves in The Day The Earth Stood Still and what it means for Abram's Star Trek":

I'm betting a fair number of you, especially fans of the original series, are familiar with the original movie The Day The Earth Stood Still. There are actually a lot of parallels between that film and Trek, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the inspirations for Star Trek like Forbidden Planet: very much focused on decisions of people in command, the fear people had of the Cold War at the time, distrust, and an underlying overall message of humanity's cooperation needed in order to ensure survival. It was very much a message-driving flick, with perhaps only 15% or so of the film actually devoted to any action, and even that was pretty limited in its scope.

Well, my point being is that the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still starring Keanu Reeves is going to be our barometer to gauge what Abram's version of Star Trek is like. Once again there are many parallels between this remake and Abram's remake - mainly, the remake's trailer seems to completely abandon everything the original film stood for and make the film seem like an almost pure action flick.

So, we'll gauge the success of The Day The Earth Stood Still, and we'll see if it's a harbinger of things to come for Abram's Trek.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:52 am

I have not seen the original movie, but I should say that this one looks amazing. At least the trailer was f***ing epic. I am very exited about this movie and will look for what you indicated.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:22 am

After I discovered that the movie will not be about an "end to violence," but instead an end to "pollution," I became too scared that captain planet is making an appearance in it. Apparently some alien race did the same thing we are doing to our planet and they paid for it, so rather than let us make our own mistakes on our world they get off their high horse and come down to our level to nuke the crap out of us until we all have solar powered cars or are dead, whichever comes first.

Seriously, just make Gork be Al Gore...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:14 am

This thread ought to be posted in the review section.
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:30 pm

For when this does get moved, I saw the original and it sucked majorly, even for a movie of its time.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Trinoya wrote:After I discovered that the movie will not be about an "end to violence," but instead an end to "pollution," I became too scared that captain planet is making an appearance in it. Apparently some alien race did the same thing we are doing to our planet and they paid for it, so rather than let us make our own mistakes on our world they get off their high horse and come down to our level to nuke the crap out of us until we all have solar powered cars or are dead, whichever comes first.

It's actually Gort, Gork being one of the Ork gods in WH40K. As for the original, I consider it a classic but it is tremendously boring when compared to a modern sci-fi movie.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:53 am

i saw 'the day the earth stood still' at the rave a couple of weeks ago, and it was absolutely awful. this was one of the most boring, pointless movies i've ever seen in my life. i absolutely hated it.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:40 pm

(sadly shakes head) I wish I could have seen you suffer...

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:47 pm

On a related note, The Day The Earth Stood Still has been nominated for two Razzie Awards, Worst Sequel/Prequel/Remake/Rip-off and Worst Film of the Year. Keanu Reeves is nominated for Worst Actor.

http://www.movietome.com/infocus/show_b ... _id=775653

And on a relevant note to the board as a whole, The Clone Wars movie is also nominated in the Worst Sequel/Prequel/Remake/Rip-off category.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:41 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Keanu Reeves is nominated for Worst Actor.
Again?
And on a relevant note to the board as a whole, The Clone Wars movie is also nominated in the Worst Sequel/Prequel/Remake/Rip-off category.
Deserves it.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:08 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote: And on a relevant note to the board as a whole, The Clone Wars movie is also nominated in the Worst Sequel/Prequel/Remake/Rip-off category.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Deserves it.
Amen to that! ;-)
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:43 am

I think Keanu Reeves played exactly the character the director wanted him to. It's not meant to be a feel-good movie.

Granted, perhaps it could have been done better...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote: Granted, perhaps it could have been done better...
That's the whole point, JMS... it could have been done better.... much, much better.
-Mike

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 am

Trinoya wrote:After I discovered that the movie will not be about an "end to violence," but instead an end to "pollution," I became too scared that captain planet is making an appearance in it. Apparently some alien race did the same thing we are doing to our planet and they paid for it, so rather than let us make our own mistakes on our world they get off their high horse and come down to our level to nuke the crap out of us until we all have solar powered cars or are dead, whichever comes first.

My sentiment on the movie exactly and the reason I did not watched it in the first place. They took an antinuclear/antiwar cult classic and turned it instead in an ecoterrorist's wet dream! Damn them!

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:08 pm

PunkMaister wrote:

My sentiment on the movie exactly and the reason I did not watched it in the first place. They took an antinuclear/antiwar cult classic and turned it instead in an ecoterrorist's wet dream! Damn them!
yeah, they took the line in the matrix about humanity being a virus, wrapped it in a cloak of a classic and turned it into a movie. It's environmentalism (anti-humanism really) is so heavy handed (and point missing) it made me cringe and I'm in the bloody green party. There is some stuff at the end where klaatu relizes the good in humanity (love, i think) and stops his nano-bot swarm. moreover I don't get why he was trying to get the UN this time... he wasn't going to give us a message that meant anything other than you die now.
meh

anyway, wasn't this thread supposed to be about it's relation to star trek?