Star Trek: Discovery

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Jedi Knight

Star Trek: Discovery

Post by 359 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:07 am

Is bad.

More to come later.

Jedi Knight

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by 359 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 pm

And is much better watching episode 2.

Episode 1 is still bad, but creates a nice backdrop to set off a much better second episode.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 am

Much as they had some novel that was a riff on the "West Wing" genre of super-busy multitasking leadership, this is a riff on every Netflix binge series. It's perfectly fine taken as a reboot and mini-series on that level, disconnected from the rest, but it's Star Trek in name only and simply doesn't fit the existing continuity.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am

Well I would give Discovery a B at the end of its first season. A slow start and the finale was a little disappointing, but some nice moments all the same.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:49 pm

Sothis wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am
Well I would give Discovery a B at the end of its first season. A slow start and the finale was a little disappointing, but some nice moments all the same.
If it's a B, I should give it a solid watch sometime.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:05 pm

It’s pretty good. It’s a different take on a few ideas and continues Star Trek’s ideals of social commentary, but in a new way.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Indeed, now with the whole first season worth of material I will change my stance of "It's bad" to "It's good."

Plus, I think we get the best incarnation of the mirror universe yet. *And* they've made a beautiful upgrade to the awkward geometry of the Constitution Class (If only the Discovery herself weren't so hideous).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 am

Good start and a fantastic take on the Mirror Universe and then they kind of blew it at the end by turning a very interesting character into a two-dimensional villain.

The new take on the classic Enterprise is a amazing, frankly. It's exactly the kind of update that people had been hoping for with the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise, but we didn't get. This version keeps the original TOS ship's proportions for the most part, along with the details, like the copper navigational deflector dish, but add in the shapes and details to the primary and secondary hulls reminiscent of the partially abandoned Phase II Enterprise that Mike Minor and Matt Jefferies designed. This addresses interestingly enough the issues with the TMP-era refit and how such a radical refit could have been produced out of the TOS design. So well done to the DSC staff on that and I look forward to seeing more of it next season.
-Mike