Hi

Please come in, grab a username, and introduce yourself.

Currently, account activation is set to administrator approval. Please e-mail webmaster@starfleetjedi.net to activate your account.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Hi

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Well now, I suppose I better introduce myself.

I'm very familiar with ASVS - I guess in a way you can say I "started" there though I never really bothered to post much there because by the time I started lurking it was already dead. I've lurked at SDN and SB.com, but once again never really posted there because, well, the whole debates there seem rather "adversarial" so to say. So I came here because I read a post on ASVS (yes I still lurk there even to this day, Tyralak still makes posts there which I find interesting) directing both him and I to this site, so I figure I'll give it a try.

So what am I expecting from this website?

- Well, I'm expecting that people won't be assholes here, and I'll try not to be an asshole back.

- To be honest with you, I've lost interest in the vs. debate - since we're dealing with two fictional universes here with varying amounts of interpretive evidence to show for it, I've concluded that reaching a consensus is damn near impossible and it's always going to be one side who believes Trek to be the most powerful vs. one side who believes Wars to be the most powerful. This actually would be rather healthy for the enjoyment of both franchises if large groups of people didn't take it so seriously (because, you know, the Internet is serious business. Serious ****ing business). But I'm still interested in Star Trek, Star Wars, and aspects of the vs. and canon debate not touched upon in the normal firepower calculations and debates - what you might say is the more "literary" aspects of each franchise (to illustrate this, take a look at this Wong essay about how to analyze Sci-Fi - I'm more interested in examining the two franchises from the oft-ignored left column). Of course, I'm not stupid enough to use such literary interpretation to derive firepower calcs, either.

- I'd also like to find a place to do Star Trek or Star Wars episode, movie, or misc. product reviews. I've found inspiration in Chuck Sonnenburg, Confused Matthew and First TV Drama's Enterprise Reviews who are, as I've found so far, the only people to take a truly deconstructive look at Voyager and Enterprise. If I ever post reviews, I'll probably refer heavily back to all three, especially if I'm about to make a point they've already made, and rather than plagiarize I'd rather have readers refer back to the source material.
- I might do some other Star Trek, Star Wars or sci-fi related misc essays too, just based on whatever I feel like
- And I may talk about creative writing in relation to science fiction, since that's a driving interest of mine and a big reason as to why I'm even interested in all of the above and vise-versa.

Well, there you go.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Well, hi man. Enjoy your stay!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:59 am

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find what you're looking for here, and I look forward to you bringing a fresh outlook on the Versus debate and other discussions pertaining to Trek and Wars in general.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Welcome to SFJ.net!

I think you'll find that pretty much everyone here is polite... most of the time... ;)

Have fun...

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:46 am

A very belated Hello to you and welcome.