Greetings

Please come in, grab a username, and introduce yourself.

Currently, account activation is set to administrator approval. Please e-mail webmaster@starfleetjedi.net to activate your account.
Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Greetings

Post by Dragoon » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:36 am

As the title says, greetings everyone! I stumbled across this forum while reading st-v-sw.net and I believe I shall be pulling up a chair to stay awhile. I'm an avid fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars, so this should be fun to look at.

I'm also intrigued by the Versus debate. I've read up on the entire thing, gone through old debates, read through both SD.net and st-v-sw.net and made up my own mind about things.

Personally, I fall more towards trek and STvSW then SDN.

But that's not incredibly important and I'm sure people will find out my viewpoints soon enough.

yours,

Dragon

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Welcome!

Always nice to see a fresh face. I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

AFT
Bridge Officer

Post by AFT » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:17 pm

Welcome to the Forum Dragoon!! But don’t make us wait too long to read your opinions. The forum has been kind of slow these days.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 pm

Welcome to boards! We much appreciate a fresh face now and then.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:11 pm

Yes greetings Dragoon. I look forward to hearing your opinions in the coming days, and of course welcome to the board.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:32 pm

Yes, welcome, Dragoon! I look forward to seeing you contribute here as you did on the previous forums. :-)
-Mike

Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Post by Dragoon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:21 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Yes, welcome, Dragoon! I look forward to seeing you contribute here as you did on the previous forums. :-)
-Mike
Which previous forums?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:56 pm

Weren't you on the old STrek-v-SWars.Net and the second ST-V-SW.Net forums?
-Mike

Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Post by Dragoon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Weren't you on the old STrek-v-SWars.Net and the second ST-V-SW.Net forums?
-Mike
To the best of my knowledge, no. Must be another Dragoon. =)

Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Post by Dragoon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:38 am

Oi, gevalt.

I just got involved in a debate with a rabid Warsie over on the deviantart forums. He's a Saxtonite AND a SDNer. He had the gall to chew me out for using RSA's site...

He's rolling out the standard 200 gigaton, etc, arguements. Any suggestions?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:53 am

I'd say to tell him to not copy another's argument. He did it with either Darth Servos or Batman's or whatever in the thread they got going at SDN. You just need to stick to the facts, which you have. Call him on the junk he's trying to throw your way to deflect from the fact that he can't refute the facts. I find that they really hate it when you take large chunks of what must be their attempts at well thought out and detailed responses and respond with just words like 'irrelevent', 'this has jack squat to do with ...', 'this doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about. it'd be best if you focus on the topic at hand' and you keep saying it again and again because it's true, no matter how much they want it to not be true. They take it personal when you give constructive criticism about how they can't stay on topic.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:51 am

Just note that ICS is not the best source of info. Basically NJO to XWING novels cover themselves up wiyth movies and show smaller figures.

See also poitnts in "Another horrible thread", section "other websites".

Just keep in mind that there are multiple claims at SDN. Basically try to challeng e them tyo get ANY good claims from NON-ICS sources... which should be interesting.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:35 am

Challenge their notion of what a BDZ is. It is an orbital bombardment meant to destroy a society, not a slagging or vaporizing of the entire crust like in TDiC. Tell them that most examples have multiple ships preforming an unspecified bombardment over an unknown period of time.

Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Post by Dragoon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm going to be rescinding my request for advice. To do otherwise woudl make my a hypocrite.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:16 pm

It really depends on what you are asking for.

If you're simply asking for debating advice, like how to better present your evidence, the kind of questions that should be asked, I don't think that makes you a hypocrite, because basically the arguments will still come from you.

Now, if you were to come to this site, and ask for counter-arguments, that could be hypocrytical, because the arguments used in your debate wouldn't be yours.