Largest object ever observed in science fiction?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Largest object ever observed in science fiction?

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:17 am

Most people will probably say either a ringworld or a Dyson sphere, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that it's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

According to official backstage info (supposedly), Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is 40 million light years tall.

Yes. 40. Million. Light. Years. Tall.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:06 pm

The Xeelee have created entire artificial universes as far as I'm aware, and have also got the ability to throw galaxies at people. There's also stuff like the TARDIS which is, internally, near-infinite in size despite possessing the external size and shape of a police box due to the fact that it occupies more than the few standard dimensions that we usually interact with. There's also some of the galactic-scale stuff of the Perry Rhodanverse, but I'm a bit on the unsure side as to any specific details.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Narsil wrote:The Xeelee have created entire artificial universes as far as I'm aware, and have also got the ability to throw galaxies at people. .
The Anti-Spirals (also from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) have clearly been able to demonstrate these abilities as well.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm pretty much tempted to say my penis, in my fan fiction. At that point, the dumb object syndrome is just... well, what's the theme again?

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann isn't so much sci-fi as fantasy and Sheer Awesome channelled through a series of sci-fi esque elements.

And to be quite honest, everyone knows that the biggest object ever observed in anything whether fictional or not is Morgan Freeman's aura of sheer awesome.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 am

Seconded!

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Re: Largest object ever observed in science fiction?

Post by Tyralak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Most people will probably say either a ringworld or a Dyson sphere, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that it's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

According to official backstage info (supposedly), Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is 40 million light years tall.

Strowbridge's Ego. Hands down, no contest.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:01 am

Tyralak wrote:
I'm afraid I don't follow.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Most people will probably say either a ringworld or a Dyson sphere, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that it's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Tall? That does not compute! I can understand long and wide but tall? In space? How so? How does that work in environment where there is no up or down to begin with?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:12 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
Tyralak wrote:
I'm afraid I don't follow.
He's referencing a certain versus debator from the old ASVS days.
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:59 am

PunkMaister wrote:Tall? That does not compute! I can understand long and wide but tall? In space? How so? How does that work in environment where there is no up or down to begin with?
The dimension of the Z axis of said object when said object is traveling along its normal orientation.

...which, in this case, is by using galaxies like stepping stones. Yes, literally.

It's an anime, don't overthink it.
Mike DiCenso wrote:He's referencing a certain versus debator from the old ASVS days.
-Mike
Thank you for the clarification. I had used the Google newsgroup archives a while ago to browse through the debate as it had occurred previously, but I do not recall seeing the name "Stowbridge." Was he an infrequent contributor?

But I'm getting off-topic.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:The dimension of the Z axis of said object when said object is traveling along its normal orientation.

...which, in this case, is by using galaxies like stepping stones. Yes, literally.

It's an anime, don't overthink it.
Oh that explains the brain turned off kind off deal they got with that and sure why not if in fairy tales and such people can walk on clouds why not a super duper gigantic thing that uses galaxies as stepping stones as we would crossing a pond. To such a thing off course we might as well be microbes or subatomic particles...

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 am

PunkMaister wrote:Oh that explains the brain turned off kind off deal they got with that and sure why not if in fairy tales and such people can walk on clouds why not a super duper gigantic thing that uses galaxies as stepping stones as we would crossing a pond. To such a thing off course we might as well be microbes or subatomic particles...
Did I mention that this super duper gigantic thing is powered by sheer awesomeness?

No, really. It's literally powered by sheer awesomeness. It draws upon the awesomeness being generated by its crew.

No doubt you think I'm just being silly, but...you just need to see the anime for yourself to believe it.