Aliens on various megacities?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Kahless
Padawan

Aliens on various megacities?

Post by Kahless » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:33 am

Since I saw AVP2 today, I was wondering how the aliens would do against some scifi megacities? So heres the two scenarios:

Scenario 1: A hundred alien queens are transported to 40K Earth. They land in the poorest, most heavily populated areas.

Scenario 2: a hundred alien queens are transported to Corscant. They land in the poorest, most heavily populated areas.

How long can they both hold out?

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:27 am

As long as it takes enough fire power to be pointed in their general direction. Neither the Imperium nor the Empire would think twice to purge something like that from their cities. Even their most holy of holy locations in the 40k universe are pretty much a given as, "if we need to, we nuke it."

Of course, I whole heartedly believe the space marines or imperial guard will have destroyed the aliens long before they become a serious threat. Lasguns, bolters, very heavy armor, transporters, psykers... Queens are going down. Sure there will be casualties... but face it, no space marine is going to investigate the eggs, they'll just set them on fire... and those infected will be executed on the spot.

The empire will most likely just burn that section of the planet off and rebuild it, marking those who died as making the, 'most noble of sacrifices for the greater good of the empire.' Presumably old palpy would obviously sense their presence as well meaning that the element of surprise is gone, not unlike the psykers in the 40k universe.

Looking bad for the aliens... all in all, the targets are just a little too ambitious, even for 100 queens.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Trinoya wrote:Presumably old palpy would obviously sense their presence as well
I see no reason to thin that.
After all, Palpatine was unable to sense Yoda and Obi-Wan were still alive and on Coruscant?
Palpatine wasn't able to sense that his Legion of his best Troops were getting their arse kicked by some small teddy bears?

Palpatine, contrary to popular wank, cannot sense everything, and would have no reason whatsoever to sense the Alien Queens.

I have no doubt that Coruscant would fin out something was wrong and that advanced weapons and sensors would help win the day, but it wouldn't be quick, and it would be costly.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:00 am

The ability to sense serious events happening is a demonstrated force ability. It is also known that Palpy was masking his presence from the jedi. I'm pretty sure he will sense 100 alien queens landing on his capital and slaughtering the first 10,000 people as well...

This is, of course, assuming that the bounty hunters, smugglers, and general law enforcement don't destroy the aliens first since it is, after all, the 'most poor and heavily populated area.' Sounds like any number of the countless areas of Courscant that have, *ahem* better equipment than the average civilian merely for protection.

Long story short, I do not foresee the alien invasion surviving longer than... oh... 4 1/2 hours... give or take however long it takes for storm troopers to start showing up by the thousands...

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:36 am

Well if you add in a dozen or so predaliens to the mix I think a nasty infestation could be built up in a short enough amount of time for a real bloodbath to happen.

Granted in either case the empires will win. Niether has any qualms about nuking a few innocents and would do so at the first signs the situation was dire.
Trinoya wrote:The ability to sense serious events happening is a demonstrated force ability. It is also known that Palpy was masking his presence from the jedi. I'm pretty sure he will sense 100 alien queens landing on his capital and slaughtering the first 10,000 people as well...
I'm sure Palpy would sense it then, but by that point you wouldn't really need force powers to know something bad was brewing.
This is, of course, assuming that the bounty hunters, smugglers, and general law enforcement don't destroy the aliens first since it is, after all, the 'most poor and heavily populated area.' Sounds like any number of the countless areas of Courscant that have, *ahem* better equipment than the average civilian merely for protection.
Xenomorphs are fast, agile, and quite clever. They are quite strong, bleed a corrosive acid when wounded,plus spit it as well, and have a knack for sneaking up on you. The inner mouth has enough force to punch through a Predator mask and quite possibly a US army helmet,which while I can't say how good a bounty hunter armor will hold means if I was bobba fett I wouldn't want to test it. Conversly the average Imperial citizen is armed with a form of blaster. Thermal detonators, any yield estimates for these?, should be plentyful but not something everybody carries around for personal protection. All in all unless the brood is dropped is plain sight and not in some dark, dank spot to build a nest I think the various smugglers, bounty hunters and ilk would be hard pressed to hold thier own let alone wipe out the aliens.

My prediction timewise? A couple of days to a week, figuring in a day of them keeping to the shadows and growing thier numbers plus initial respons set to contain and possible study the new alien lifeforms rather then totaly exterminate .

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 am

I'm just going off the initial post. The most poor but heavily populated areas of the planet are most likely going to be those used by smugglers and bounty hunters. While I do not doubt the stalking capabilities of the Xenomorph, or even their comprehension abilities, the fact that it is the QUEEN that is being delt with first makes it a non-issue. Queens must reproduce first, a process that while not very time consuming, will be problematic while being shot at... and certainly 100 are not going to go unnoticed in a 'heavily populated area' for longer than 15-30 minutes.

I expect some where around 10, maybe even as high as 15 queens to get the first successful hatchery going... but on average we see between 30-50 xenomorph eggs in a hatchery and even if they are all successful that is only 450-750 xenomorphs in a heavily armed and watched area, with reinforcements definitely on the way by maturity.

Now if it said, "most poor and unpopulated location" then you're talking big time problems for courscant and almost certainly the use of star destroyers in purging the aliens. As it stands now... the bulky (target wise) Queens, while fast, are hindered in mobility due to the design of the planet and limited on servants to go out and grab victims for the eggs, depending more on dumb luck ala "Alien" to actually get a face hugger in the right location (though AvP apparently the tail can do all that jazz I guess).

I think for your four day estimate each queen needs to be given 5 xenomorphs upon arrival, at least to give them a fighting chance.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Trinoya wrote:I'm just going off the initial post. The most poor but heavily populated areas of the planet are most likely going to be those used by smugglers and bounty hunters.
Agreed.
the fact that it is the QUEEN that is being delt with first makes it a non-issue. Queens must reproduce first, a process that while not very time consuming, will be problematic while being shot at... and certainly 100 are not going to go unnoticed in a 'heavily populated area' for longer than 15-30 minutes.
Which is why they will seek out a sewer or abandoned warehouse to set up a brood first. As I said it all depends on how and exactly where these queens arrive. If they tumble to the ground in the middle of a busy street filled with bounty hunters and smugglers then yes the infestation will be off to a very bad start. However that seems unfair and overly tilted expectation in the favor of the megacity.
As it stands now... the bulky (target wise) Queens, while fast, are hindered in mobility due to the design of the planet and limited on servants to go out and grab victims for the eggs, depending more on dumb luck ala "Alien" to actually get a face hugger in the right location (though AvP apparently the tail can do all that jazz I guess).
As AVPR shows a facehugger can and will crawl quite far in search of a host and this would be near a heavily populated area ensuring no problems securing hosts,through a slight problem getting them back into the lair. That I think would be the biggest problem early on, making sure no one drags off facehugged hosts away to a hospital, but not a huge problem if a few queens don't start laying eggs and tend to the growing hive.

StarPixie
Candidate

Post by StarPixie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:32 pm

Last edited by StarPixie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:16 pm

About Holy Terra, I don't know, but on Coruscant, I'm seriously doubting the ability of the Empire to contain the problem.

It will take time to prevent infested people from travelling out.
Facehuggers will crawl into plenty of small places and vehicles.

Seriously, Coruscant is just a huge big city with plenty of hosts, I can't see how they could prevent an infestation without nuking the whole place up.

If R2's security sensors are any indication of what you could expect (AOTC, Padmé assassination attempt), as an average, on Coruscant, the planet is screwed.

Clear Air Turbulence
Candidate

Post by Clear Air Turbulence » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:41 pm

A Xenomorph infestation on Couruscant would be very tricky to contain, IF no-one reports the giant killer bugs to the authorities in time. The gestation period is between minutes and hours, so a very large number of drones could be around pretty quickly, I would also contest that there won't be lots of well equipped/skilled bounty hunters running around in slums. What there will be is lots of petty criminals and thugs, which are not likely to be more skilled with a blaster than the petty criminals and thugs of more gun-toting nations on Earth (America is a good example). While the blaster should have much more chance of downing a Bug than a modern pistol, they aren't a highly coordinated or trained force, and the bugs will swamp and simply murder them. Once the army gets involved it's all over for the bugs (as it is in AvP2, and to a lesser degree in Aliens).
Stormies are actually going to be very good for this, their helmets should protect them well from facehuggers, and image enhancement is very useful. The fact that they will think little of flooding the entire building/block etc with nerve gas helps too.