The UFP and GE versus the Daleks

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:48 am

Narsil wrote:Yes, fantastically done, congratulations GStone. You've successfully ignored that the Dalek canon occurrences include devices that can very easily destroy planets, travel to any point in time and space, and just plain destroy the whole blinking galaxy.
There is nothing in my posts that say I have ignored anything. I have had to constatntly remind you of how you are manipulating and ignoring canon facts and logic. Your baseless accusations don't mean anything to me.
Because the Time Lords, with even more of such abilities, aren't letting them do it. That's why the Time War happened, because they couldn't one-up the Time Lords in a history-manipulation fight and thus they went to war.
Yet, you're claiming that is one possibility, while saying at the same time that it couldn't happen because of Time Lord interference. This is pathetic.

Crack open a dictionary and look up the word 'consistency'.
You massaged away the Time Lords very well there, as well as every other higher-time race such as the Eternals, the Guardians, the People and all of the others.
No, given that my knowledge of Time war specifics is limited, there's no way I could have planned on massaging anything. I wouldn't have known what was to be misrepresented, if that was my intention. However, since you seem to know more than I do, you have clearly demonstrated that this was your intent all along (given your own knowingly self-contradicting actions), aside from your obsession with me.

No obsession is healthy.

I had no intention of massaging anything. You use as a possible argument something that you damn well know wouldn't happen and claim that I ignore facts and manipulate the canon.

Go ahead. Knowingly contradict yourself again.

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:47 pm

To start of: GStone, if you don't mind, should we continue this discussion after this post I'm going to snip parts of it out because it's frankly becoming hard to edit and read this way. Go ahead and remove older stuff from me from your reply if you so wish as well.
GStone wrote: No, I accept they are dissimilar. But, that doesn't make what's similar disappear, such as the presence of carbon and the presence of quantum resonance frequencies of energy fields/particles that have substance.
I never said this was not the case, I am however pointing out that the Borg have in fact shown their adaptation has clear limits.

Both in their ability to kill (species 8472 kicked their behinds in space as well, even though the Borg had non-nanoprobe weapons aplenty and even though species 8472 was carbon based -tho this is from memory, correct me if I'm wrong-)

And in their ability to defend (the Borg have been seen on ships that broke down due to hitting asteroids, being too close to the sun and bits of blown up planet, which contain mostly very normal atoms which will all have a quantum resonance factor. They've also shown an inability to defend themselves versus some non-federation energy weapons as well as future federation weapons)
Refusing to accept something might not go the way you thought up is not a valid debating style. And that goes for you just as much as for Narsil. And yes, you are just as guilty of it.
I have repeatedly had to show evidence after evidence of canon facts when their presence is dismissed, when some arguments are brought up in their oversimplified forms and ones that don't take certain things into account.
I suppose it's better for us to agree to disagree in this, I simply don't agree that showing a faction has the pieces to the puzzle meaning they can make it work. Seeing federation tech in action, as well as their mishaps and failures frankly makes me feel there is a very good chance improvised items/weapons/defenses will fail to work.
I don't deny that Dalek time travel physics is probably different than borg time travel physics. Given that they are from different universes, I can say that with almost a 100% certainty. The only reason why I still leave that sliver of doubt is because we have not had any canon evidence from either universe just what that temporal physics involves for specifics. That's all on that matter.

I don't deny that the borg have never gone up against dalekanium, but we do know from the Who canon that it is a polycarbibe. That is a compound that includes carbon. Are to assume that this is carbon other than the real world version? Based on what?

Even if the other materials used in dalek armor are nothing like what the borg have ever faced before, they are still familiar with carbon. And I'm gonna on a limb here and say that you were assuming that I was speaking of getting by the armor through at least the carbon parts of it, not that just because they could get through the carbon part, that means they'd get through all the other elements, too.
I have no problems with this assessment. I'm perfectly willing to concede that the carbon present in the armour is liable to be bypassed.
I'll give you one quote which shows exactly what I think the problem here is:
They did use a temporal vortex to send a sphere to the past. A mini-vortex opens and send a weapon beam/torp through to inside the dalek.
There are two really, really big problems here. Problems which I see with your debating style a lot. It's not personal in anyway, but you must realize that

1) Dalek and Borg temporal tech are like Fed tech and stone age caveman tech.

There really is no comparison.
And to be fair, we don't know the full extent of borg time travel abilities either. They have enough precision to create a vortex to a specific point in time. They are also able to maintain temporal synchronicity through an entire borg cube when doing things, like transwarp speeds.

As was said earlier, the daleks may have had lesser one-on-one abilities to time lords and used overwhelming numbers. We aren't too clear on the full extent of their abilities.

And the legnth of time a society has a particular tech doesn't mean it's uber. Many times, this has been used as an argument in favor of Empire tech being more advanced than Federation tech, because they've been around for thousands and thousands of years more.
The point here is not the amount of time they used the tech, but rather that they have actually shown it to be quite uber and -which is also quite important- fully integrated in their society and technology. I'd not go so far as to say they eat, drink and sleep time but it's obviously quite close to that.
You take one example of Borg timetravel and expect them to be able to be effective with their tech versus creatures that are so advanced in timetravel they're capable of pushing individual beings through time.
I have not said this. I have not taken one example. There are a few examples, but I do bring them up to their larger context and what it means for borg 'society' and their technological development.
Oh and go pretty much anywhere, anytime at will.
Oh, yes...I said this...right. Even though I didn't. And if it were true they could use their time traveling abilities to go pretty much any where or any time, why the hell are there transwarp conduits? They wouldn't be necessarily. Oh, wait. There are transwarp conduits used by the borg. There are also hubs. There were 6, but Voyager brought that down to 5, so they must not be able to use their time traveling abilities to cross space. It must be limited to...oh god...wait for it...

DUN dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunn!!

TIME!!!!!

NOT SPACE!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

[laughs]
I was however, refering to the Daleks having the ability to go anywhere and anytime, not the Borg ;)
This is like me saying "I've seen ships from Babylon 5 use lasers, 20th century earth can also make lasers so we'd have a chance at defeating their spaceships using our lasers".

It just does not work that way, because what you are doing here is equating any level of capability with any other.
God, why do you keep acting like I think Trek factions are omnipotent? I spoke of canon facts of adapting to energy fields and converting materials of both universes. I have never said a drone's arm cannon could punch through dalekanium.
You did, however, strongly imply that Dalek shielding and armour where liable to be broken by the Borg regardless. Unless I've misunderstood your conclusions regarding quantum resonance and tubules.

I have problems with that because we don't actually know how the Daleks shield themselves or exactly what their armour is. I'm not saying it's impossible they might breech it, I'm just not very positive about their success chance. There are -in my mind at least- strong hints that the Daleks use temporal technology for their weapons and shielding. Which would be quite unlike anything the Borg have ever faced.
2) You assume the Borg can in fact open up these mini vortexes in the first place and as often as they like too.
1. I never said as often as they liked.
Well, they do have to destroy 10 million ships ;)
2. So, you think it's easer to open a much more massive opening for an energy field than something smaller? The borg temporal sensors in astrometrics are able to scan different time periods and this is said by Chekotay before he and Janeway get there, finding it is now the astrometrics lab of the future. He was still expecting the temporal sensors to exist from his own time period perspective. Are you suggesting that borg temporal sensors need a vortex the size of the one seen in First Contact that got the sphere to the past?
Actually, and I realize this is something that goes against common sense, in the real world it is very often far easier to do things on a big and large scale than a small and confined one. Besides, we know next to nothing about how the Borg actually create these vortexes to begin with (other than which particle they use) and that, coupled with the fact that temporal weapons would be a killer technology which the Borg would surely use if they had it, is somewhat of a reason to not assume they can do it

And on a side note, it's trivial for real-world science to detect all kinds of interesting things with devices. Things we cannot readily use or produce in any way. The ability to detect something is different entirely from the ability to use it as you'd like ;)
We have exactly one point of reference in the entire Startrek canon where the Borg use timetravel and they sure as hell didn't use mini vortexes then. Why would I, or in fact anyone else, have to agree to them suddenly having this capability?
And here we have the following 2 images rom Dark Frontier:

http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/display ... =95&pos=19
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/display ... =95&pos=35

Eyeballing it, it is a ship that is somewhere similar to Voyager's volume. This ship had a transwarp coil on it, which was recovered and used on the Delta Flyer. This borg ship must have had chroniton fields throughout it. Their use at transwarp speeds can't be limited to just fields for cube sizes.

And I'm not suggesting that the borg would be able to create this mini-vortex on their own. They might, but I'm not 100 certain. But, what I do know is that if this suggestion was given to the borg, by someone in the Federation, we do know that they have used chroniton fields with transporter beams in Past Tense to try to find Sisko, Bashir and Dax. So, it wouldn't be entirely out of the question.
Well, that's kind of my whole point - they might, might not. It's very hard to conclude anything that way. See, the problem still remains - the Borg have zero reason to not use similar tech in the series (it's not as if they have moral issues), yet they never use tech in that manner.

In my mind, if the Borg -the single force in the Galaxy that won't shy away from using anything, no matter how vile, to gain their advantage- don't show the ability when it would be useful for them, it's quite reasonable to assume they don't have the ability to use it.
The answer here is simple: despite your protests, we don't. They might be able to do it. But since that is not quantifiable, we can't use it in the debate. And certainly not as an accomplished fact!
And if we only limit ourselves to what is specifically seen in the canon, then talk to Mike D about the Voth showing up and using the transporter as a weapon. All we ever saw it do was move Voyager to the inside of the ship. Talk to him about seeing soldiers equipped with phase cloaks. We only ever saw them used by a couple scientists. We don't know just how widespread the technology is. Ooo, what if it's a restricted teechnology and the scientist and his assitant were allowed special use of it in an attempt to discredit them, so the Voth government could maintain its control of its people?

We've only seen a couple daleks do personal temporal shifting and each time it was done, it was stated to be an 'emergency temporal shift'. It must not be used in normal circumstances. Those larger ships must be what's regularly used for time travel by them. Maybe it's because it's very draining on the indivudal, 'foot soldier'drone's power supply.

Do you really want to exclude any and all potential applications of known facts about their respective technologies and societies?
Oh no, but I have a more restricted vision of what is and what is not reasonable to include. For instance, we see Daleks using emergency temporal shifts under their own power so it might not be too much of a stretch to assume more than the ones we see doing it can use the technology. Or to assume other, conceptually similar ideas can be used (such as Daleks transporting someone else through time instead of themselves).

It's just that I personally (and I admit this readily) draw the line when things start becoming different in concept than what is shown. The Borg have shown the ability to manipulate time on a certain scale and using a certain amount of time. Your mini-vortex suggestion differs in scale, in required method (generated on a weapon most likely and the Borg don't usually fire 'torpedoes'), in application and most likely in required timescale as well (it's likely the minivortex would need to be generated much quicker as to not give away what is going on - the Daleks do know plenty of timetravel stuff after all) etc.

Now, the reason I feel these are problematic is we have no idea what kind of restraints the original tech requires. I'd have zero problems with the Borg attempting to use temporal vortexes somewhat bigger or smaller but I'm just not convinced they can just scale the tech to whatever dimensions they like.

(And on a sidenote, it was established to wear out the Dalek power supply to a degree - this was one of the given reasons why they used their pigmen instead of just blowing stuff up themselves)
It doesn't work that way though, because if you are allowed to turn assumptions into facts, so can anyone else in the debate.
No, I see potentials as possibilties, based on shown and spoken of capabilities, their context and the logic of known trends.
Well, you do extrapolate from current abilities and have a tendency to add quite a bit more powerful items to the factions than they've shown in the canon.

See, that is kind of the deal. My idea that more than just two Daleks might have emergency temporal shift capability is quite different from your ideas on say Federation phase cloaked ships firing temporal phased gravimetric warheads of yields far greater than the average photon/quantum torpedo has ever shown.

It's not meant as an offense or anything, but that tech jump is quite literally, insanely huge. The Federation took years to come up with rudimentary anti-Borg equipment after first meeting them, yet your suggestion -which is off the charts in usefulness and power compared to their conventional weapons- is supposed to be figured out in under twelve days.

And I object to that based on evidence that the Federation is not actually that quick in weapons research ;)
In which case this battle will be over real quick because I'd just state "The Daleks go back in time and erase all relevant civilizations from existence" and whenever you'd post a counter my counter would be "That's irrelevant, they've already erased the civilizations from existence so they cannot possibly do that".
Then, fine. Maybe you could answer this for me then. If the point before hand is to take out these civilizations and their first idea is to go back before they appeared and wipe them out using time travel...why the hell have they shown up 'during the late twenty-third century'? Why would all 10 million ships do that?

Is it taunting? This is the time war era fleet. It's my understanding that they would just 'exterminate'. Is it to find out about the enemy? They already know enough that they want to kill them all.

This isn't about Trek capabilities. Explain to me the point. Is it a whim?
I'm assuming the Daleks feel they don't need timetravel to exterminate things. However, that said, they most definitely use it in combat when they need too - they managed to evade the Time Lords quite effectively using it.

I'm assuming there are very good reasons the Daleks feel they don't need timetravel. Now, I'm not going to claim to know exactly what the Time Lords 'Black Hole Carriers' where but the entire dialogue around the Time War was quite clear in that both sides where ridiculously powerful and that their little fight had vast repercussions throughout pretty much the entire galaxy, if not universe.

This is also supported by on-screen Dalek abilities like producing materials which where invulnerable to any conceivable attack (well, as far as the Doctor -he who burns up supernova's to say goodbye- considered anyway) and hiding yourself between universes if the need arises. And of course that the Time Lords, who need no further introduction as to the kind of tricks they did, could not actually 'exterminate' them quite so easy - even though they clearly wanted, no, make that needed too.
What you are doing there is turning the assumption into an accomplished fact. Like you did in the Culture thread*.

*) Just so you know, I didn't stop arguing there because I felt you where right. I stopped arguing there because your style of arguing makes debating useless.
I hadn't assumed anything one way or the other.
I gave plenty of concessions to see if you'd concede your idea was just an assumption or even that there was a chance of failure.

I always have. From the first time the versus question came up, I said point blank that the ideas I came up with might not work, but the point was that it wasn't ever as bleak as a lot of people were making it out to be.
And the main thing here is how far is the versus debate taken. Do you stick with just what is exactly seen or heard on screen, like everyone is stupid and couldn't ever think of anything beyond what is seen, regardless of the fact that technological development does happen. Or do you bring in the larger context of societal/scientific development, based on other facts here and there in the respective canons?

You choose the former, I choose the later.
Well, I don't fully agree here. I have nothing against some extrapolation. I just don't agree that yours is reasonable (in that specific scenario) ;)

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 am

Roondar wrote:To start of: GStone, if you don't mind, should we continue this discussion after this post I'm going to snip parts of it out because it's frankly becoming hard to edit and read this way. Go ahead and remove older stuff from me from your reply if you so wish as well.
That's what I usually do, so don't worry.
Both in their ability to kill (species 8472 kicked their behinds in space as well, even though the Borg had non-nanoprobe weapons aplenty and even though species 8472 was carbon based -tho this is from memory, correct me if I'm wrong-)
8472 ships are nimble, but they do come off as powerful. Their ability to adapt may require the existence of sensor information/data storage, which seems to be the case in suriving borg components in drones and with ships. If we are to accept that this is true, on a ship-to-ship level, the probability of the borg adapting to damage from dalek weapons might just depend on how much damage they can do (assuming that there is no interaction between the borg and a single dalek and that there is no info download from the dalek/assimilation happening).

With the knowledge that their weapons are organic, as well as the fact the immune system of 8472 is very quick to attack borg nanoprobes, there could be a similar thing going on with their weapons and their 'attack' of borg tech/ships.
And in their ability to defend (the Borg have been seen on ships that broke down due to hitting asteroids, being too close to the sun and bits of blown up planet, which contain mostly very normal atoms which will all have a quantum resonance factor.
I've never denied that a large amount of brute force could get through. In BoBW, Riker was commenting on the fact that the borg shouldn't have been able to adapt as quickly as they did, since we have seen them to take damage before adapting.
They've also shown an inability to defend themselves versus some non-federation energy weapons as well as future federation weapons)
In addition to the above, both the queen and Admiral Janeway believed that with the knowledge from the future about the weapons, the borg would be able to adapt.
I suppose it's better for us to agree to disagree in this, I simply don't agree that showing a faction has the pieces to the puzzle meaning they can make it work. Seeing federation tech in action, as well as their mishaps and failures frankly makes me feel there is a very good chance improvised items/weapons/defenses will fail to work.
Settled! Now, we can get to what's important:

MARBLE WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't deny that Dalek time travel physics is probably different than borg time travel physics. ... I don't deny that the borg have never gone up against dalekanium, but we do know from the Who canon that it is a polycarbibe. That is a compound that includes carbon.
I have no problems with this assessment. I'm perfectly willing to concede that the carbon present in the armour is liable to be bypassed.
We are one step closer to marble wars.

Do you have your bag? ;-)
You did, however, strongly imply that Dalek shielding and armour where liable to be broken by the Borg regardless. Unless I've misunderstood your conclusions regarding quantum resonance and tubules.
You didn't. The question that remains is just how quick they might get through? A long time or a little?
Well, they do have to destroy 10 million ships ;)
And, at the same time, all those that got sucked into that thing Rose and the Doctor made, couldn't keep themselves from going in, except for the one that did the emergency temporal shift. And at the same time, too, Rose could hold on to the thing stuck on the wall. She didn't have any hover tech or time travel tech. The reason she was sucked in was because she tried to get the large lever to move.
and that, coupled with the fact that temporal weapons would be a killer technology which the Borg would surely use if they had it, is somewhat of a reason to not assume they can do it
Seven said she knew of the borg trying to stop first contact. I forget the ep, but she said it when she was in one of Voyager's halls. And, given that the later seasons of VOY were after FC came out, that'd mean they have the tech. And, with all the transwarp conduits in that hub before it was destroyed, they could have easily plowed through earth in the present instead of going to the past. They also could have traveled to the past before getting close to earth and then, travel to it. So, it seems that they might be trying to 'fatten up' the Federation tech wise. It wasn't my theory, but it does make sense.
And on a side note, it's trivial for real-world science to detect all kinds of interesting things with devices. Things we cannot readily use or produce in any way. The ability to detect something is different entirely from the ability to use it as you'd like ;)
That's the power of positive thinking.
In my mind, if the Borg -the single force in the Galaxy that won't shy away from using anything, no matter how vile, to gain their advantage- don't show the ability when it would be useful for them, it's quite reasonable to assume they don't have the ability to use it.
They are about efficiency, but we don't know the extent of their plans. We do know, for instance, that Seven was left on Voyager as part of some fact finding like expedition of the queen. They only regularly send just 1 cube to take on the Federation when they could easily plow through the whole damn thing if all of them were brought in, but they don't.
Oh no, but I have a more restricted vision of what is and what is not reasonable to include. For instance, we see Daleks using emergency temporal shifts under their own power so it might not be too much of a stretch to assume more than the ones we see doing it can use the technology. Or to assume other, conceptually similar ideas can be used (such as Daleks transporting someone else through time instead of themselves).
Maybe and maybe. I bring up the temporal vortex thing because, for instance, E-E didn't create the vortex, but they were able to use it when they chased the borg to the past. Could the daleks project out an 'emergency temporal shift' (vortex- for lack of a better word), so something else moves through time? Maybe. That might be how they move who fleets. One ship makes the 'vortex' and the others use it. Has there ever been evidence (visual, verbal or one's shifting tech was caput, but another's was fine and both were known to time shift and the one that wasn't working still hadn't worked after the shift) that'suggest one could use another's time shift 'rift'?
It's just that I personally (and I admit this readily) draw the line when things start becoming different in concept than what is shown. The Borg have shown the ability to manipulate time on a certain scale and using a certain amount of time. Your mini-vortex suggestion differs in scale, in required method (generated on a weapon most likely and the Borg don't usually fire 'torpedoes'), in application and most likely in required timescale as well (it's likely the minivortex would need to be generated much quicker as to not give away what is going on - the Daleks do know plenty of timetravel stuff after all) etc.

Now, the reason I feel these are problematic is we have no idea what kind of restraints the original tech requires. I'd have zero problems with the Borg attempting to use temporal vortexes somewhat bigger or smaller but I'm just not convinced they can just scale the tech to whatever dimensions they like.
Well, first, I'm not suggesting a torp that can time travel on its own. Borg ship uses the vortex generator, whatever that is, and fires the beam/torp/whatever inside.

Second, for them to be able to scan different time periods, the energy of the scanners in one time frame would need to interact with the energy of the other time frame. Somehow, that signal is getting through. Whatever the size of the borg temporal sensors, they are much smaller than a sphere ship.
(And on a sidenote, it was established to wear out the Dalek power supply to a degree - this was one of the given reasons why they used their pigmen instead of just blowing stuff up themselves)
So, it might come down to the numbers. Does ayone know approximately how many borg there are?
Well, you do extrapolate from current abilities and have a tendency to add quite a bit more powerful items to the factions than they've shown in the canon.
But, I don't go around, acting like just because the daleks fought the time lords that they are more powerful than Q. Yes, I do think of possibilities becuse of the extent I take versus debates. It's more applied science fiction, but I don't do anything that's completely unreasonable and I do it for both sides. I also make note of certain restrictions that are known. Trek just comes off as being more malleable than many others.
See, that is kind of the deal. My idea that more than just two Daleks might have emergency temporal shift capability is quite different from your ideas on say Federation phase cloaked ships firing temporal phased gravimetric warheads of yields far greater than the average photon/quantum torpedo has ever shown.
Well, on that bit, I did admit freely that the possible method I was using for how the transphasic torps worked might not be how they actually worked. I was working on one possible version.

As far as the torp, I showed gravity plays a role in subspace communications, that it was part of the signal sent by Data to the rest of the away team via phase realignment, that warhead yields are variable. Many do go to the default position that Harry was exaggerating on the extent of the yield, but given that there is also a likely chance that he wasn't (because there are times when people don't exaggerate when this sentence is applied to other situations), I don't see evidence that it must be an exaggeration without a doubt.

I point out the limitations of trapdoor protection, no existence of being able to scan temporally phased objects in the Cultureverse. But, from what I understand, the Culture combines different tech pieces often. I don't remember if this happened in the novels, but I wouldn't be against the Culture taking a hyperdrive, slapping on some medical robots in a compartment, so it can go into an older or younger universe and pop back in to get past another's force field, make the commander/ruler a Culture hippy and pop back out.
It's not meant as an offense or anything, but that tech jump is quite literally, insanely huge. The Federation took years to come up with rudimentary anti-Borg equipment after first meeting them, yet your suggestion -which is off the charts in usefulness and power compared to their conventional weapons- is supposed to be figured out in under twelve days.
Again, it's never been required that it needs to be done in under 12 days. Hell, that intial post for that thread said they're to take out the major powers in the alpha and beta quadrents. Even at Culture speeds, that's gonna take longer than 12 days.
I'm assuming the Daleks feel they don't need timetravel to exterminate things. However, that said, they most definitely use it in combat when they need too - they managed to evade the Time Lords quite effectively using it.

I'm assuming there are very good reasons the Daleks feel they don't need timetravel. Now, I'm not going to claim to know exactly what the Time Lords 'Black Hole Carriers' where but the entire dialogue around the Time War was quite clear in that both sides where ridiculously powerful and that their little fight had vast repercussions throughout pretty much the entire galaxy, if not universe.
Then, shouldn't we assume that since we know from the canon that the borg can time travel (and that trek canon isn't doing a highlander movie-tv canon split), that they have a good reason for not using it all the time? That we are not going to claim to know exactly what the reason is, but that there is one, since they aren't time traveling all the time, assuming they aren't doing it all the time off screen?
and hiding yourself between universes if the need arises.
Was it ever said just what the source of that hiding trick was? They used time lord tech to shove a bunch of them into a small space, but I don't remember them saying just what the source of the hiding part was.

Okay, marble wars in on!!! Where's your bag?!