How were the Dursleys suppose to reply in response to the le

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Lucky
Jedi Master

How were the Dursleys suppose to reply in response to the le

Post by Lucky » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 am

How were the Dursleys or a muggle born suppose to reply in response to the letter from Hogwarts?

mojo
Starship Captain

Re: How were the Dursleys suppose to reply in response to th

Post by mojo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:35 am

Didn't the first letter come in the regular mail? Return address? Been a long time tho, maybe I'm misremembering.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 am

"Three things lay on the doormat: a postcard from Uncle Vernon’s sister Marge, who was vacationing on the Isle of Wight, a brown envelope that looked like a bill, and – a letter for Harry."
It's debatable, I suppose, but to me that suggests it came in the ordinary way. When no reply arrives, the magic letters begin to arrive by owl.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:48 am

If you mean in other cases, usually a professor brings the letter personally to an all-muggle home. Obviously the Dursleys wouldn't need to have the magical side of the world explained to them, so it was probably assumed that a letter through the muggle post would suffice. The response could have been delivered in any number of ways.
Speculation, though, again.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:50 am

What is that, my first serious post in five years? And it's about Harry Potter? Ugh.
I AM 37.