Darth Vader (Star Wars) vs John Carter (John Carter of Mars)

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Post Reply
sonofccn
Starship Captain
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 pm
Location: Sol system, Earth,USA

Darth Vader (Star Wars) vs John Carter (John Carter of Mars)

Post by sonofccn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:28 am

Been away for a while, missed this place in my absence and wanted to get back into the saddle again as it were. And because I'm an old fuddy-duddy, and been rereading old pulp/planetary-romance books, I thought I'd go old school for my challenge. Namely A New Hope era Darth Vader vs novel John Carter so without further ado...

Inside the shadow of the bleached, cyclopean blocks of a coliseum amphitheater on the barren, windswept Barsoom two titanic duelists stride into the open. One, cowled in tenebrous blackness, is the Emperor’s mailed fist and Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader. A shimmering scarlet blade rising out from his gripped lightsaber as he brusquely greets his challenger. From the other corner ,the champion of Barsoom and husband of Princess Dejah Thoris, approaches John Carter cheerfully brandishing his gleaming Phrik made sword as he salutes his foe. A pregnant lull falling over both warriors as they regard calculating the other before, at some unspoken word from the watching heavens, the two close in a weaving maze of alien steel and searing light…

Does the immortal Virginian triumph or shall the cruel Dark Lord?

Alternate scenario: What difference, if any, is made by substituting either the 2012 movie version of John Carter or Clone Wars era Anakin respectfully?

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm
Location: A Beta Quadrant far far away

Re: Darth Vader (Star Wars) vs John Carter (John Carter of M

Post by Darth Spock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:33 am

sonofccn wrote: Inside the shadow of the bleached, cyclopean blocks of a coliseum amphitheater on the barren, windswept Barsoom two titanic duelists stride into the open. One, cowled in tenebrous blackness, is the Emperor’s mailed fist and Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader. A shimmering scarlet blade rising out from his gripped lightsaber as he brusquely greets his challenger. From the other corner ,the champion of Barsoom and husband of Princess Dejah Thoris, approaches John Carter cheerfully brandishing his gleaming Phrik made sword as he salutes his foe. A pregnant lull falling over both warriors as they regard calculating the other before, at some unspoken word from the watching heavens, the two close in a weaving maze of alien steel and searing light…
Very wordsmithing. Such wow. Luv.

I'm going to have to go with The Black Daddy on this one. It's been ages since I read A Princess of Mars, but as memory serves, Carter's biggest boon was from having Earth-man strength against low-gravity Martian weaklings. Even if his swordsmanship exceeds Vader's, Vader cheats. Junk flying across the arena, long distance asphyxiation, etc. The Martian warlord gets cacked and retires to Earth for awhile.
Sorry, I wanted to keep in the spirit of the original presentation, but I'm tired....

sonofccn
Starship Captain
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 pm
Location: Sol system, Earth,USA

Re: Darth Vader (Star Wars) vs John Carter (John Carter of M

Post by sonofccn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Darth Spock wrote:Very wordsmithing. Such wow. Luv.
Thanks. Was afraid it was just silly and terrible. :)
Darth Spock wrote:I'm going to have to go with The Black Daddy on this one. It's been ages since I read A Princess of Mars, but as memory serves, Carter's biggest boon was from having Earth-man strength against low-gravity Martian weaklings.
More or less, superman in reverse as it were, through JMS performed a more literal interpretation which I thought was worth a read even if it goes against the author intent as it were.

But yeah, while no slouch by any means, against the force equipped, cybernetic enhanced Vader Carter's losing in brute strength.
Darth Spock wrote:Even if his swordsmanship exceeds Vader's, Vader cheats. Junk flying across the arena, long distance asphyxiation, etc. The Martian warlord gets cacked and retires to Earth for awhile.
Well Carter is the best swordman of two worlds while, in my opinion, Vader relies comparatively more on brute force/stamina to win his fights. Carter, arguably, would also be more adjusted and adapted to Barsoom/Mar's low gravity and is far more nimble/agile than armor entombed Vader.

Additionally, through of debatable value and possibly counteracted by Vader's own force powers, Carter is a powerful telepath:
Princess of Mars, page 22 Kindle edition wrote:Likewise, under Sola's tutelage, I developed my telepathic powers so that I shortly could sense practically everything that went on around me.
Princess of Mars, page 63 Kindle edition wrote:I thought to surprise him into revealing this combination and so I asked him in a casual manner how he had managed to unlock the massive doors for me from the inner chambers of the building. As quick as a flash there leaped to his mind nine Martian sounds, but as quickly faded as he answered that this was a secret he must not divulge.
Verdict: All that said I'd have to agree big "black daddy" will take this albeit after a fight. He should be stronger and better protected against their respective weapons in addition to being telekinetic and should just be able to doggedly stay in the fight waiting for an opening to end it.

User avatar
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Paradise Mountain

Re: Darth Vader (Star Wars) vs John Carter (John Carter of M

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 pm

I nevre noticed JMS had published his analysis of this book's Carter.
Most enlightening.

The fight would be quite entertaining if it were not for the fact that one of the two duelers has access to telekinesis.

For one, Carter would most likely easily smoke the magnaguards, and a fight against Grievous would be much more even.

In fact, by being a Sith, Vader isn't such a good choice for this fight. He's bound to rely on his powers more than the average Jedi, who at best seems to Force push.

How would that fight go against Luke Skywalker (ROTJ time), Obi-Wan Kenobi and Mace Windu during the Clone Wars?

sonofccn
Starship Captain
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 pm
Location: Sol system, Earth,USA

Re: Darth Vader (Star Wars) vs John Carter (John Carter of M

Post by sonofccn » Sat May 09, 2015 3:54 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:How would that fight go against Luke Skywalker (ROTJ time),
In my opinion I'd have to go with Carter. Luke has a rather more adhoc Jedi training/force-discipline, I would say he is not a noticeably better swordsman than Vader, isn't much more agile and lacks the protection of Vader armor.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Obi-Wan Kenobi and Mace Windu during the Clone Wars?
Obi-Wan would be a challenge. He has an agile, acrobatic fight style and seems to stay cool and level headed in a fight.

As for Mace Windu I don't really know. Of the top of my head I can't really recall what he did besides get himself killed in episode III.

Post Reply