Starfighter sub

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Picard
Starship Captain

Starfighter sub

Post by Picard » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Option 1

By act of ROB, good guys get modern Western fighters modified to fly in space, with now-useless air intakes used to launch proton torpedoes. Republic Army gets Dassault Rafale instead of clone fighters while Jedi get equipped with Saab Gripens. Rebel alliance gets Saab Gripens instead of A-wings, Dassault Rafales instead of X-wings, Eurofighter Typhoons instead of Y-wings and F-15s instead of B-wings.

Option 2

Same as before, but Vipers from oBSG get used instead of A-wings and Starfuries from Babylon 5 get used instead of all others.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: Starfighter sub

Post by Lucky » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:09 am

Picard wrote: Option 1

By act of ROB, good guys get modern Western fighters modified to fly in space, with now-useless air intakes used to launch proton torpedoes. Republic Army gets Dassault Rafale instead of clone fighters while Jedi get equipped with Saab Gripens. Rebel alliance gets Saab Gripens instead of A-wings, Dassault Rafales instead of X-wings, Eurofighter Typhoons instead of Y-wings and F-15s instead of B-wings.
I'm going to just say that the jets you are subing in don't have the range to matter, and they don't match the roles of what they replace often.

An A-wing is more an interseptor

A y-wing is a bomber

A B-wing is an anti-capital strike craft making it more a bomber
Picard wrote: Option 2

Same as before, but Vipers from oBSG get used instead of A-wings and Starfuries from Babylon 5 get used instead of all others.
What kind of Starfury? There is something like three different models seen during the Babylon 5 alone.

Have you ever seen OBSG? Vipers are monsters last time I checked.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Lucky wrote:I'm going to just say that the jets you are subing in don't have the range to matter, and they don't match the roles of what they replace often.
Rafales are primarly air-to-air fighters just like X-wings, and "modified to fly in space" would include new propulsion system, similar to one on X-wings or A-wings. It doesn't seem to me that either has fuel capacity greater than what Rafales have, and Star Wars ships do use liquid fuel.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Picard wrote:Option 1

Option 2

I don't get the basic plot here. What's the battle?
As for option 1, how do these birds maneuver in space?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't get the basic plot here. What's the battle?
No particular battle. Though if you want, it can be Battle of Coruscant for Republic and First Death Star for Rebels.
As for option 1, how do these birds maneuver in space?
Thrust vectoring, since it is a known technology and would require a minimum of modifications.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Huh, thrust vectoring hardly is an elegant form of trajectory control. It will actually be terrible. Those planes at least need something aking to the jet valves we see on nBSG Vipers, placed in many crucial areas of the crafts, especially the nose, which allow them very good maneuvers.
Otherwise the ships are forced to limit themselves to the most simple trajectories possible.
And let's not about the missiles.

I'm not sure to understand the point of this though, you're redesigning crafts in ways that require a complete change on their innards. If that can be done, anything goes.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Yeah, and I'd be quite willing to accept basically anything short of redesiging their weapons (beyond gun), sensors and defense suites, since that is the actual point - how more effective would fighters with missiles be in Star Wars, especially with sensors that can't be jammed?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Jamming's pretty heavy in Star Wars.
High quality optics, like found on droids, would allow missiles to dodge the usual counter measures one can think of. However, seeing something is one thing, understanding what's going on is another. We've seen that highly mass produced droids have rather crappy AIs, althoug there's no excuse for that because what they accomplish is leaps and bounds above a mere target acquisition.
It mainly looks like missiles aren't worth the space they take. For some reason, their charges aren't spectacularly powerful, nothing to top a simple salvo from laser cannons (low MJ).
I do'nt think your revamped fighters would do any better. They're not designed for space and their weapons are just not up to the task. Shields in SW act like reactive armour, and not only they seem to be able to tank low MJ shots (although not explosive, which makes a difference), they can regenerate.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:58 pm

OK, thanks. So reason for lack of HE missiles in SW isn't simply "I wanted a WWII feel", nice to know...