Twelve colonies of Kobol{NuBSG} vs CIS{SW}

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
sonofccn
Starship Captain

Twelve colonies of Kobol{NuBSG} vs CIS{SW}

Post by sonofccn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Due to a mammoth warp eddy brought about by Q having the sniffles the reimagined Twelve colonies immediately before the series proper are transported kit and all through space and time replacing the Galactic Republic at the start of the Clone Wars. Where upon the Confederacy of Independent Systems, seeing a technologically advanced but vulnerable society ripe for the picking, promptly declare War and unleashes its mighty droid army.

Who wins?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Twelve colonies of Kobol{NuBSG} vs CIS{SW}

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Wow, you have already created a massive mess.
By literally erasing the entire Galactic Republic (!!!), you have most likely removed a considerable number of civilizations. For the sake of it, let's say that the planets are still there, but completely empty of any trace of civilization if it was affiliated in any form to the Republic.
With the Republic gone, many of the forces that kept the CIS whole are gone.
They need a very good reason to remain coherent, and the Colonies hardly are that important to warrant such an union. The Confederacy has no reason to stay and you can bet that many groups in the CIS kept ties with Republican interests, although officially sitting on the other side of the fence.

On the other hand, the Colonies are nothing more than some exotic combination of four planetary systems interlocked into two pairs, and both pairs orbiting the same central point.
They might have had some time to adapt, but apparently by the OP the CIS already knows about them.

Can we get a bit more information on what goes on on both sides and how they met for the first time?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Just sticking with the technology and avoiding the economic ramifications to the Confederacy . . . the starship combat is going to go poorly for the Colonies. The weapons ranges are similar, but the Vipers are probably going to be chewed up.

1. Even their more realistic movements (most of the time) aren't going to enable them to deal with fighters capable of out-accelerating them by multiple times. Their maneuverability will probably allow more than a few surprises for the droid fighters used to fighting things that move like aircraft rather than proper spacecraft, but I don't have the feeling that their bullets will be as effective as fighter blasters, negating that possible advantage.

Advantage: CIS

2. While a Colonial flak wall might detonate some or even most incoming turbolaser fire . . . including some that wasn't going to hit anyway . . . I can't imagine that a Colonial ship could survive too many megaton-level bolts from a full-scale broadside, though I imagine they could withstand most of the smaller-scale shots. I don't know which ships might be capable of megaton-shots, though.

A nuke hit Galactica in the miniseries but no yield is given. In the miniseries a Cylon fighter missile was estimated at fifty kilotons onscreen, whereas a hit against Caprica was estimated at fifty megatons onscreen.

I don't know if the fifty megaton weapons are missile-mounted for ship-killing shots or capable of being so, or if those were just the planetary attack bombs. However, a quick perusal of online opinions suggests ship nukes in the 100 kiloton range.

Galactica has no shields, but seems to be constructed quite solidly . . . I imagine you could slam an Iowa Class against it and not disrupt anyone's rack-time.

I don't have that sense about Confederate frigates. Should a battlestar happen upon an unshielded Confederate frigate, I think it could take it out with nukes . . . after all, a tank cannonade does a good enough job of damaging them, and a flight of Y-Wings really tear them up.

Advantage: CIS guns, Colonial armor

3. The Confederacy almost certainly has many times more vessels than the Colonies. If I had to take a guess, I'd say thousands of ships versus maybe hundreds, probably dozens.

Advantage: CIS

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:12 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Wow, you have already created a massive mess.
By literally erasing the entire Galactic Republic (!!!), you have most likely removed a considerable number of civilizations. For the sake of it, let's say that the planets are still there, but completely empty of any trace of civilization if it was affiliated in any form to the Republic.
With the Republic gone, many of the forces that kept the CIS whole are gone.
They need a very good reason to remain coherent, and the Colonies hardly are that important to warrant such an union. The Confederacy has no reason to stay and you can bet that many groups in the CIS kept ties with Republican interests, although officially sitting on the other side of the fence.
Well the Confederacy may have little reason to stick together it also has few other options, at least in the short term. Any planet(s) which try and stick out on their own would risk being subjugated underneath the Confederacy's military might. As for economics most of the Confederacy was composed, I believe, from alien bankers and industrialists who made their profit exploiting the "hickish" Outer Rim worlds which largely should remain intact following the departure of the Republic.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Can we get a bit more information on what goes on on both sides and how they met for the first time?
Okay. Following the "exchange" a Confederate cruiser is dropped out of hyperspace right on top of the Colonial system thanks to the uncharted incursion of its unique gravity well on hyperspace with the Colonial Navy quickly detecting and surrounding the foreign vessel. Following them confirming it isn't a new Cylon warship basic diplomatic briefs are exchanged and then the cruiser leaves.

The Colonials are, reasonably, startled at the discovery of a large, galactic civilization on their doorstep so to speak and makes steps to prepare for conflict while Count Dooku, tasked with trying to hold the disparate Separatists together, takes note of the heavily militarized, advanced space borne civilization reported back by the cruiser. Considering them a greater threat than the debauched Hutts or petty pirates who plague the Outer Rim as well as believing a short, victorious War will help unify and unite the Confederacy he gives the command to crush them under heel.

Would that be a sufficient fleshing out of a story?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am

Yes, it's sufficient. Thanks. I'll think about it.