SGA 4x01 & 4x02 Quantification thread *Spoilers*

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

SGA 4x01 & 4x02 Quantification thread *Spoilers*

Post by l33telboi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:28 am

First off, Spoiler warning, if you don't want to know stuff about the new episodes, don't read this!

For the longest time I’ve been wanting to undertake some larger project, something a little more substantial then the somewhat inane vs. debating threads on SB and the occasional tech thread there.

So I thought that I’d start a weekly Stargate tech thread. Basically, whenever a new episode is released, I’d put down everything important in it in a thread and then we could all have a merry little discussion about it.

So, I thought I’d get a jump-start on this whole thing and start with “Adrift” and “Lifeline” of the fourth season of Stargate Atlantis, now instead of later. The proper episodes haven't been released yet, but there is a whole lot of interesting stuff we learn even with these early unfinished ones which were leaked a while back. I will, of course, update once the real episodes are released.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Alright on to business:

The shields on Atlantis:

There are a number of interesting things we learn about the shields on Atlantis in these episodes. Among them is the fact that shields can apparently be shrunk if the power-output drops too low. This seems to be quite a handy feature, as it allows the ship to maintain shielding around the vital central spire even in emergencies. It also limits the areas that needs life-support, gravity and inertial dampening if the city would happen to be in space at the moment, so presumably power-consumption is cut back quite a bit.

It’s also confirmed near the end of “Lifeline” that the shield starts drawing more power if strain is put on it. I’ve always had a pet theory about Stargate shields that pretty much said this, but now it’s actually canon.

Basically it goes a little like this, we know that you can project stronger and weaker shields by pumping more and less power to them. So just having the shields active would mean it draws a lot of power. But then when the shields are hit with something, the shields start drawing even more power. The problem of how Atlantis radiates the excess energy away arises though. Think of the thousands of years this city lay on the ocean floor for instance, if it was drawing power the whole time, it would’ve had to radiate it away somehow. Maybe channeling the excess heat into subspace? We know they can draw power from subspace, why not into it as well?

The alternate theory I’ve heard is that the shield is simply an energy barrier, you project some energy to it and that’s it, it remains active as long as that initial energy remains in place and it doesn’t need to continuously draw power. Then when something hits the shield, it replenishes shield strength by pumping more energy to it, making it ‘whole’ again.

Atlantis lying on the bottom of the ocean for instance would mean it didn’t draw almost energy at all, as the shield functioned much as a solid wall, rather then a field that continuously needed to draw more power.

The descent to the new home-planet for Atlantis might also merit some shield calculations, but that will have to wait for the real episode to be released. The current copy just has too bad a picture quality to be able to tell exactly what is going on.

However, if my eyes didn’t deceive me, then at one point the city actually seems to be descending so fast that it’s displacing its own entire height per frame. That would mean it was descending several thousand kilometers per second, tens of thousands of kilometer per second even. Wikipedia seems to say that there’s a rule of thumb that says the temperature exhibited on a re-entry craft is the same in Kelvin as the velocity is in meters per second. In other words, if Atlantis was going 10km/s, the temperature would’ve been around 10 000K. Given how large the city is, the total amount of power it had to deflect would’ve been tremendous. However, I don’t know how to get the heat flux from something like this, perhaps someone could help?

One more thing in relation to the high-velocity descent, I’ve recently been looking up on what hypersonic objects would look like inside an atmosphere, and apparently it’s at the 10km/s and upwards mark where one can expect the air to start to ionize behind the object. In other words, a blue trail of plasma would be visible behind it. I don’t think I saw that in the episode, but then again the saturation was all to hell. And I guess the fact that there were shields actually absorbing the heat would put a limit on the ionization.

Atlantis power production:

First, a little background info to keep in mind during all this. The city has apparently had its main power conduits damaged by the Replicator beam, meaning that the city has suffered a serious blow to power production. The city is pumping out massive amounts of energy and most of that goes to waste because of the damaged conduits. This is what caused the ship to drop out of hyperspace too early, there simply wasn't enough power getting to the hyperdrive. The conduits are later on patched, but they aren't able to fully repair them while in space. So everything Atlantis does in these two episodes is bound to be drawing a lot more power then it would under normal circumstances. Even a tiny hyperspace jump was said to have drawn a lot of energy from a nearly full ZPM at the end of “Lifeline”.

The power production system also seems to be quite smart. A ZPM that is near depletion apparently refuses to pump out as much power as a fully charged one. Instead, it continuously lowers the power output, instead of power production hitting a sort of wall and shutting down altogether. This could be significant, given that we've seen quite a few ‘nearly depleted’ ZPMs over the years. This feature seems to be built into the city, rather then the ZPM itself though, as we’ve seen a ZPM be drained in a matter of seconds. All in all, this episode once again indicates that a ZPM can really be drained very quickly.

The city, when it detects the lowering power output, decides to decompress the buildings on the outer-piers and turn off the gravity, lifesupport and pretty much everything in them in order to still maintain some shielding around the vital areas.

This gives us some indication to how power-intensive the various systems are in relation to each other. The hyperdrive for instance, is probably the most power intensive of all the major systems, seeing as how it's the first thing to go. Then the shields are shrunk and everything from gravity to life-support is shut down outside of it. It's suggested that drones can still be used though. So the list would be Hyperdrive > Shield-generators > Weaponry on the power-intensity list. Sub-light propulsion and communication was off-line due to damage, but the way the people talked, it seemed they expected these things to still be operational if they hadn’t been damaged.

Atlantis Scaling:

EDIT: Alright, obviously i wasn't seeing straight when i first made this, so i'll just have to correct it a litte.

In this episode there's also a very scalable event on Atlantis itself. We see a puddle jumper leaving the main spire and from that we can get the rough size of the city. The quality of the episode I have is quite bad though, so the real scalings will have to wait for the real episode to be released. However, I have done a preliminary scaling that's meant to do nothing but give us some idea of how big the thing is.

The first step was to scale the puddle-jumper to the top of the central spire. I didn't know the real length of a puddle-jumper, so I put in a place-holder length for when I do the real scaling. To me, 5m would be a fair lower-limit. But perhaps someone else knows a better length? Perhaps you even know of some scalings done on it previously? In any case, the first step in the scaling:

Then comes the second step, getting the width of the city from the top of the spire:

As you can see, this gives us a figure of almost 2.6km, which seems fairly in-line with several of the other scalings I’ve seen around, though a little smaller, to be expected i suppose, given that the jumper has been somewhat nerfed. There's also this picture, that could possibly be used to do a scaling on. It depicts the top of one of the larger spires on one of the piers, and as you can see, Zelenka and Sheppard are barely visible in the shot. In other words, a fairly large building.

Atlantis FTL:

It seems as if the hyperdrive on Atlantis is actually somewhat better then the one on the Apollo, given Carter's comment about how Atlantis should've beaten the Apollo to the new home planet.

In “First Strike” it was said that it would take at least “a few hours” to get to the new home planet. I will go into detail on this at a later stage in this post, but it’s indicated (though not 100% certain) that the distance is at least 2000 light-years. Assuming that by “a few hours” McKay really meant 24 hours, it would give Atlantis a FTL speed of at least 712000c, though probably much faster, since both the time and distance variables I gave were quite ungenerous.

Midway Station:

We also get a first glimpse of the Midway station, the station bridging the Pegasus and Milky Way galaxies via the gate network, in this episode. The station itself seems to be fairly small, perhaps some 100m in length at the most. It hosts the two Stargates and a control room of sorts, and that’s about it.

It’s interesting to note that it’s apparently possible to communicate with the Midway station live from either galaxy. Remember how the gate line is built to function? One gate dials the other and transmits the matter to that one, then that one transmits the matter to the third one etc. This would cause quite a significant lag in the communication, and IIRC then it actually took quite a long time for Sheppard to cross from the Pegasus galaxy to the Milky Way when he was trying. So how do they manage live communication? Perhaps the gates don’t need a fully active wormhole for communications? Perhaps they’ve improved the system to the point where you can now go in on one end and exit the other in very little time at all. Basically, the gates wouldn’t have to shut down and re-dial at all, but the wormhole connecting the all would be one long continuous corridor.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. In any case, some images of the thing.

The Apollo:

The Apollo, the new BC-304 we first saw in "First Strike", is back. There's nothing really significant we learn about in this episodes, but there are a few things one might mention.

First off, the communication on the ship is not long-ranged enough to actually reach the Midway station without using the gate-network as a booster, although, considering that the station is placed between the two galaxies, it's not really all that surprising or telling. It does however show that the comm systems on Earth vessels are inferior to that of Asgard vessels. Which is interesting, since the BC-304s are based on Asgard technology.

There's some interesting details on the sensors revealed as well. For one thing, the long-range sensors can't be used while the ship is in hyperspace. The ship basically has to revert to realspace to use them.

Another interesting detail about the sensors is their range. At first, it's theorized that the Apollo would have to make 180 000 small jumps in order to blanket the entire area between Atlantia and the intended new home planet for Atlantis with sensors sweeps. It's also interesting that Carter later finds a way to augment the sensors so that they can actually reduce 180 000 jumps to 50. That would mean that these sensors now have a range that is 3600 times longer then they were before. Quite a significant boost indeed. Or, a more plausible explanation would be that what’s-his-name was actually resorting to some hyperbole when he gave the 180 000 small jumps figure.

Now then, distance between the two planets is unknown. But, like I mentioned earlier, there might be a way to establish a minimum distance between the planets and thus also the sensors. McKay at a later stage in the second episode says that he predicted the Apollo was some 2000 lightyears away from Atlantis. Now Atlantis was traveling in a straight line from Atlantia to the new homeworld, and the Apollo was supposed to meet them there. Since then the two haven’t been in contact, so apparently McKay would’ve assumed that the Apollo was still waiting for them at the rendezvous point. This would indicate that the distance between the two planets would be further, but at least 2000 lightyears. This is not 100% certain, but logically it makes a heck of a lot of sense.

This would mean that the original sensors would have at least a 0.0111 light-year diameter (which is quite small indeed) but the new ones would cover an area at least 200 lightyears in radius. The 0.011 figure, as you can see, is quite ridiculously small, which gives some more merit to the theory that the 180 000 was the result of hyperbole.

The Apollo is also shown to carry at least 7 missiles which it launches at the Asuran ship, probably more though, since there’s much of that scene which is seen from either inside the cockpit of the jumper or the Apollo. What kind of missiles these are is unknown though. They didn’t seem to display the thermal flash which one would expect from nukes, but then again, even what the BC-304s call missiles are far into the megaton-range (perhaps even gigaton) given their displayed effects in “Family Ties”.

Personally, it’s become clear to me that it’s a simple matter of the VFX guys not being interested in adding the great white flashes from the nukes. We’ve seen the nukes so many times now in space, and whenever they hit shields, there is no great white flash.

The Asteroid Belt:

This is one of the most interesting bits in both episodes, and yet, the shot seems to be unfinished and most of it is missing altogether, so there's not a whole lot new to be learned here. There are a few things though.

First, it is suggested that a shielded Atlantis would be able to fly through it if it actually had its shields up. Atlantis, is apparently traveling quite fast as well and unable to decelerate because sub-light drives are damaged. If we get to see how fast the ship is going in the final version of the episode, we might be able to get a calc going on shield strength.

Second, it's suggested that the ancient chair might be able to clear a path through the field. We don't actually see how big these asteroids are, since the scene is missing, but McKay refers to them as 'building-sized or larger'. It's worth saying that in the second episode, we do actually see some of these asteroids, and they appear to be a little bigger then the puddle jumpers, but no more. Of course, that was a very brief segment, so it could be that there were larger pieces which we didn't see.

Thirdly, puddle-jumpers are apparently able to destroy most of these asteroids with their on-board drone weapons. Given the size of the asteroids seen going pop in the second episode, it would indicate that jumper launched drones are around a gigajoule in yield, perhaps more. But like I said, we'll have to wait for the final episode to get anything more substantial out of this.

It’s also interesting to see that there are apparently at least 12 puddle-jumpers fully loaded with drones (at least 4 per jumper) on Atlantis.

Hyperspace travel:

This is quite a trivial bit of information, but I thought speculating on it would be quite nice. Atlantis runs a danger of being ripped apart if it enters hyperspace with insufficient power. I'm guessing this is a throwback to what is said in the first season of SG1, that extreme force is being projected at ships traveling through hyperspace.

Jumper Hyperdrive:

You may remember that McKay in "Tao of Rodney" was able to figure out how to create a hyperdrive for the puddle jumper. Well in this episode, it is revealed that he didn't finish the upgrade, but that it was doable. What results is a hyperdrive with a very limited range, it’s unable to make even a ‘short’ 2000 light-year jump. They were able to jump to Asuras though, but how far that is from where Atlantis was is unknown. It was also a one-way trip, as the hyperdrive burned up too much energy to make a second jump.

Jumper Cloaking

There are two interesting things to note about the cloaking device in these episodes.

First off, they seem quite effective even against civilizations with a high tech-level, as indicated when a Jumper is able to land on Asuras without even being in danger of being detected by at least passive sensor sweeps, though it’s possible that active sensor sweeps might locate it.

Secondly, the cloaks can now apparently be turned into anti-replicator fields. This shouldn’t be too surprising though, seeing as how they basically did the same thing with Atlantis’ shields in “The Return”. The shields in this mode could also be extended quite a bit, which is also a previously seen feat, though the distance they extended in this episode seemed quite a lot larger.

The cloak/shields/AR-field also seems to be a lot less power-intensive then hyperdrives, seeing as how the Jumper didn’t have enough power to actually jump into hyperspace, but did have enough power to cloak and extend the AR field quite a bit. It could be possible to calculate power needed to enter hyperspace simply getting the energy needed to lift the jumper to orbit. This is another thing that would require a scaling of a puddle-jumper, so I might just have to do that myself later on, if there isn’t a scaling available already.

Asuran Ships

There seems to be two different sorts of Asuran ships introduced in the second episode. The first type attacks the Jumper just as it’s taking off from the Asuran homeworld. They fire at the Jumper but cause low damage, indicating that they might be some form of fighter-type craft. The second kind is seen when the Jumper reaches space, and that’s the one I will focus on now. Sheppard’s expression upon seeing this new ship-type also suggests it was something different from what was firing at them at first.

The most noticeable thing about this new ship is that it apparently is able to cloak. This is something quite uncommon for standard capital-ships, though there have been a few incidents with such ships.

Offensively the ship seems to fire slow-moving energy-pulses at a slow rate of fire, though these could be drones as well, it’s hard to tell given the quality of the video I have. What’s most striking about them is that the Apollo can take a short bombardment from them with no apparent problem. This would mean that the ship is offensively much less impressive then Ori ships for instance, quite possibly even somewhere in range of Wraith Hiveships.

Defensively the ship is able to take at least 7 missiles launched from the Apollo (whether these were nukes or not is unknown) as well as railgun fire.

Another striking thing is that the Asurans apparently had a ‘massive fleet’ at their disposal only a short time after they had their construction-yards destroyed by the Apollo.

Since this was a new ship-class, I thought a few pics might be in order:

Wraith

The Wraith are hardly mentioned in these episodes, but there is one interesting tidbit of information about them as well. Towards the end of the second episode, a large fleet of Asuran ships are headed towards a Wraith planet. So even though the Wraith are mostly spaceborne, they do seem to control actual planets as well.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Just adding my comments for the moment, since I have not seen the episodes (but I've hear baad stuff about them).
l33telboi wrote: The shields on Atlantis:

There are a number of interesting things we learn about the shields on Atlantis in these episodes. Among them is the fact that shields can apparently be shrunk if the power-output drops too low. This seems to be quite a handy feature, as it allows the ship to maintain shielding around the vital central spire even in emergencies. It also limits the areas that needs life-support, gravity and inertial dampening if the city would happen to be in space at the moment, so presumably power-consumption is cut back quite a bit.
It is a confirmation of what was quite crystal clearly established since Rising.
It’s also confirmed near the end of “Lifeline” that the shield starts drawing more power if strain is put on it. I’ve always had a pet theory about Stargate shields that pretty much said this, but now it’s actually canon.
A confirmation of what happened in Siege part III, which itself was also completing info given since Rising.
Brutal changes of pressure and force strain the shield. That's how it can deal with water pressure without problem, as long as it doesn't change that much. Which is impressive. The shield can cast a semi-solid forcefield apparently.
Basically it goes a little like this, we know that you can project stronger and weaker shields by pumping more and less power to them. So just having the shields active would mean it draws a lot of power. But then when the shields are hit with something, the shields start drawing even more power.
I don't agree with that one, as far as Atlantis is concerned, that is. McKay stated that the shield could last almost indefinitely when it wasn't under stress.
The problem of how Atlantis radiates the excess energy away arises though. Think of the thousands of years this city lay on the ocean floor for instance, if it was drawing power the whole time, it would’ve had to radiate it away somehow. Maybe channeling the excess heat into subspace? We know they can draw power from subspace, why not into it as well?
That or neutrinos. :D
The alternate theory I’ve heard is that the shield is simply an energy barrier, you project some energy to it and that’s it, it remains active as long as that initial energy remains in place and it doesn’t need to continuously draw power. Then when something hits the shield, it replenishes shield strength by pumping more energy to it, making it ‘whole’ again.

Atlantis lying on the bottom of the ocean for instance would mean it didn’t draw almost energy at all, as the shield functioned much as a solid wall, rather then a field that continuously needed to draw more power.

The descent to the new home-planet for Atlantis might also merit some shield calculations, but that will have to wait for the real episode to be released. The current copy just has too bad a picture quality to be able to tell exactly what is going on.
I completely loosing faith in doing any reliable calc. The writers seem hellbent on insisting that stupid things like reentry or take off can put a ZPM on its knees, and consider that an unshielded puddle jumper is able to resist direct fire from Asuran combat ships.
Which is shit, cause I remember the episode Condemned, where primitive man mande hurtled bombs did seriously fuck a puddle jumper.
The show is dramatically lacking in consistency.
However, if my eyes didn’t deceive me, then at one point the city actually seems to be descending so fast that it’s displacing its own entire height per frame. That would mean it was descending several thousand kilometers per second, tens of thousands of kilometer per second even. Wikipedia seems to say that there’s a rule of thumb that says the temperature exhibited on a re-entry craft is the same in Kelvin as the velocity is in meters per second. In other words, if Atlantis was going 10km/s, the temperature would’ve been around 10 000K. Given how large the city is, the total amount of power it had to deflect would’ve been tremendous. However, I don’t know how to get the heat flux from something like this, perhaps someone could help?
Dunno. It's friction. I suppose we'd have to consider the heat on the city's underneath. Did the new episodes even hint at the existence of an invisible hull hugging shield for the underneath part?
I don't think the hull would withstand that directly.
It's almost a free fall.
I doubt the Lantians were landing their city that way.

---
EDIT: Image

Apparently, they reshaped the shield, because considering the angle at which we're looking at the city, it's clear now that it can also cover the underneath.

---

Anyway, these kelvins exist because of the huge friction. Meaning that as long as the ship moves downwards, heat will exist, which is logical; so we can look at something like x watts per surface area unit. What is important is also the density of the fluid moved from under the city. It's tricky because the density will increase as the city will drop. The city displace a mass of this fluid, in our case, air, that I suppose is roughly equal to its own mass.

I think in english, the term would be a differential equation or something like that, one that evolves in time. To simplify this, you could consider, as a conservative value, the moment when the city enters the thermosphere of this planet - assume it's Earth-like - and use the density at this level for the whole fall.
One more thing in relation to the high-velocity descent, I’ve recently been looking up on what hypersonic objects would look like inside an atmosphere, and apparently it’s at the 10km/s and upwards mark where one can expect the air to start to ionize behind the object. In other words, a blue trail of plasma would be visible behind it. I don’t think I saw that in the episode, but then again the saturation was all to hell. And I guess the fact that there were shields actually absorbing the heat would put a limit on the ionization.
Yes. If there are shields. This sort of reasoning would indirectly confirm their existence underneath the city, which to me always seemed logical and necessary. It would be stupid not to shield the bottom of a spaceship, from the moment you have a large upper volume being shielded as well. It's not like it would eat that much energy, as long as it idles. And if it's under strain, it's probably because it has a good reason to be that way. So to me, an underneath, but invisible shield, was always a given. Otherwise, near orbital misses would have obliterated the city since a while.
Atlantis power production:

First, a little background info to keep in mind during all this. The city has apparently had its main power conduits damaged by the Replicator beam, meaning that the city has suffered a serious blow to power production. The city is pumping out massive amounts of energy and most of that goes to waste because of the damaged conduits. This is what caused the ship to drop out of hyperspace too early, there simply wasn't enough power getting to the hyperdrive. The conduits are later on patched, but they aren't able to fully repair them while in space. So everything Atlantis does in these two episodes is bound to be drawing a lot more power then it would under normal circumstances. Even a tiny hyperspace jump was said to have drawn a lot of energy from a nearly full ZPM at the end of “Lifeline”.
One logical question: do those power conduits create an internal tube-like subspace field? Sorry for the technobabble, but I'd suspect that a leak in power conduits dramatically depleting a ZPM would actually lead to the whole city instantly turning into a big, blinding and fastly expanding ball of ionized gas.
How are those conduits patched?
Do we see how the inside of the conduits is?
The power production system also seems to be quite smart. A ZPM that is near depletion apparently refuses to pump out as much power as a fully charged one.
Instead, it continuously lowers the power output, instead of power production hitting a sort of wall and shutting down altogether. This could be significant, given that we've seen quite a few ‘nearly depleted’ ZPMs over the years. This feature seems to be built into the city, rather then the ZPM itself though, as we’ve seen a ZPM be drained in a matter of seconds. All in all, this episode once again indicates that a ZPM can really be drained very quickly.
Near depletion? It really was near depletion? While I'm a bit surprised, since I thought they escaped the planet before the asuran beam actually completely swallowed every single potential joule out of the ZPM, I'm glad they actually thought about this huge inconsistency, and approximatively found a way to explain why the ZPM has another safety parcimony system, which forces the city to run on low power, only powering essential systems.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it could explain how how a power source holding insane amounts of energy, and equally able to be siphoned extremely fast, would suddenly not provide enough energy to enable a proper take off.
But then, considering the very low amounts of energy this would require (low megatons at best), it means that this failsafe kicks in quite early.

It's also problematic, because in McKay & Mrs Miller, the ZPM was flash-depleted without a question, down to its last percent. Since I don't see any Tau'ri scientist recalibrating a ZPM, we're looking at a contradiction.

I prefer my idea that the city's computer, and not the ZPM, refuses to pump out large amounts of energy for certain systems, like stardrive, hyperdrive, shield and weapons, when it's not counting at least 2, if not 3 ZPMs working together.

The reason is simple. I don't see why the ZPM would make a difference, make a choice, between the stardrives and a sort of transuniversal portal.
While the city could, with a bit of help.
The city, when it detects the lowering power output, decides to decompress the buildings on the outer-piers and turn off the gravity, lifesupport and pretty much everything in them in order to still maintain some shielding around the vital areas.
Cutting off life support and artificial gravity, ok, but literally decompressing whole parts of the city will not preserve energy. It will only waste rare atmosphere. It takes no energy to contain air inside a box.

This gives us some indication to how power-intensive the various systems are in relation to each other. The hyperdrive for instance, is probably the most power intensive of all the major systems, seeing as how it's the first thing to go.
Mh... well, this is problematic. I can't picture hyperdrives taking so much power, when Anubis and Apophis have been using ships as large as Atlantis, and didn't need a ZPM.
Then comes the Wraith, with their 11 km long spaceships.
Sure, it could take a significant amount of energy, but not up to the point of competing with ZPM power levels.

Especially since I can't see a ZPM that leaks, but fails to set the city ablaze, being short of providing enough power for hyperspace trip.
Then the shields are shrunk and everything from gravity to life-support is shut down outside of it. It's suggested that drones can still be used though. So the list would be Hyperdrive > Shield-generators > Weaponry on the power-intensity list. Sub-light propulsion and communication was off-line due to damage, but the way the people talked, it seemed they expected these things to still be operational if they hadn’t been damaged.
I'd argue that shields are much more important than weapons. How good weapons are if you're actually dead? :)

- It's for the honour.
Atlantis Scaling:

In this episode there's also a very scalable event on Atlantis itself. We see a puddle jumper leaving the main spire and from that we can get the rough size of the city. The quality of the episode I have is quite bad though, so the real scalings will have to wait for the real episode to be released. However, I have done a preliminary scaling that's meant to do nothing but give us some idea of how big the thing is.

The first step was to scale the puddle-jumper to the top of the central spire. I didn't know the real length of a puddle-jumper, so I put in a place-holder length for when I do the real scaling. To me, 5m would be a fair lower-limit. But perhaps someone else knows a better length? Perhaps you even know of some scalings done on it previously? In any case, the first step in the scaling:

Then comes the second step, getting the width of the city from the top of the spire:

As you can see, this gives us a figure of 3.6km, which seems fairly in-line with several of the other scalings I’ve seen around, and the dialogue of “I’m over a mile away from the central spire”. Though it is higher then the 3.2km figure I’ve based previous assumptions on. There's also this picture, that could possibly be used to do a scaling on. It depicts the top of one of the larger spires on one of the piers, and as you can see, Zelenka and Sheppard are barely visible in the shot. In other words, a fairly large building.

Interesting. I remember seeing the shots from inside the spire, looking at the rooftop and seeing the clouds, and the puddle jumped was actually taking much room inside that tunnel.
So I supposed that the exit hatch is actually very small in comparison to the large beveled tower roof.

The 3.6 km figure is largely within the 3.5 km ballpark I've seen thus far. Due to the low video quality, we'll have a better occasion to make better scalings later on.

That said, the scaling I'd really like to complete is the one about the satellite weapon.
We see the puddle jumper docking to one of the station's arms, but I can't make heads and tails of the whole spherical & radial structure. Towers point in all directions, and the shots I have aren't good enough.
Atlantis FTL:

It seems as if the hyperdrive on Atlantis is actually somewhat better then the one on the Apollo, given Carter's comment about how Atlantis should've beaten the Apollo to the new home planet.

In “First Strike” it was said that it would take at least “a few hours” to get to the new home planet. I will go into detail on this at a later stage in this post, but it’s indicated (though not 100% certain) that the distance is at least 2000 light-years. Assuming that by “a few hours” McKay really meant 24 hours, it would give Atlantis a FTL speed of at least 712000c, though probably much faster, since both the time and distance variables I gave were quite ungenerous.
Well, 24 hours is not a few hours. It's not even nearly one day, which the character would have likely mentionned. It's a full, single day.
I think something between 3 and 9 hours is more in line with it. They don't even talk about (nearly) half a day.

Midway Station:

We also get a first glimpse of the Midway station, the station bridging the Pegasus and Milky Way galaxies via the gate network, in this episode. The station itself seems to be fairly small, perhaps some 100m in length at the most. It hosts the two Stargates and a control room of sorts, and that’s about it.

It’s interesting to note that it’s apparently possible to communicate with the Midway station live from either galaxy. Remember how the gate line is built to function? One gate dials the other and transmits the matter to that one, then that one transmits the matter to the third one etc. This would cause quite a significant lag in the communication, and IIRC then it actually took quite a long time for Sheppard to cross from the Pegasus galaxy to the Milky Way when he was trying. So how do they manage live communication? Perhaps the gates don’t need a fully active wormhole for communications? Perhaps they’ve improved the system to the point where you can now go in on one end and exit the other in very little time at all. Basically, the gates wouldn’t have to shut down and re-dial at all, but the wormhole connecting the all would be one long continuous corridor.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. In any case, some images of the thing.

Looks nice.

We know that the stargates can't communicate with each other... though I think it was implied that they do open a wormhole. Not sure about that.

But anyway, a live communication implies that the stargates don't work as gates anymore, but as relays.

The Apollo:

The Apollo, the new BC-304 we first saw in "First Strike", is back. There's nothing really significant we learn about in this episodes, but there are a few things one might mention.

First off, the communication on the ship is not long-ranged enough to actually reach the Midway station without using the gate-network as a booster, although, considering that the station is placed between the two galaxies, it's not really all that surprising or telling. It does however show that the comm systems on Earth vessels are inferior to that of Asgard vessels. Which is interesting, since the BC-304s are based on Asgard technology.
It would confirm the idea that the Asgards didn't gave top notch tech. Only tech sufficient enough to deal with potential enemies and small assaults.
There's some interesting details on the sensors revealed as well. For one thing, the long-range sensors can't be used while the ship is in hyperspace. The ship basically has to revert to realspace to use them.
Funny. The signals are sent through subspace, and they travel through subspace. Didn't the Daedalus, at one point, receive comms while it was in transit for a week or more?
Or maybe not. I admit I never paid much attention to this detail.
Another interesting detail about the sensors is their range. At first, it's theorized that the Apollo would have to make 180 000 small jumps in order to blanket the entire area between Atlantia and the intended new home planet for Atlantis with sensors sweeps. It's also interesting that Carter later finds a way to augment the sensors so that they can actually reduce 180 000 jumps to 50. That would mean that these sensors now have a range that is 3600 times longer then they were before. Quite a significant boost indeed. Or, a more plausible explanation would be that what’s-his-name was actually resorting to some hyperbole when he gave the 180 000 small jumps figure.
I suppose the man's Lee? He seems to be conservative. And not necessarily right (see Zero Hour's ZPM). Well, no one can be always right, but...
Now then, distance between the two planets is unknown. But, like I mentioned earlier, there might be a way to establish a minimum distance between the planets and thus also the sensors. McKay at a later stage in the second episode says that he predicted the Apollo was some 2000 lightyears away from Atlantis. Now Atlantis was traveling in a straight line from Atlantia to the new homeworld, and the Apollo was supposed to meet them there. Since then the two haven’t been in contact, so apparently McKay would’ve assumed that the Apollo was still waiting for them at the rendezvous point. This would indicate that the distance between the two planets would be further, but at least 2000 lightyears. This is not 100% certain, but logically it makes a heck of a lot of sense.

This would mean that the original sensors would have at least a 0.0111 light-year diameter (which is quite small indeed) but the new ones would cover an area at least 200 lightyears in radius. The 0.011 figure, as you can see, is quite ridiculously small, which gives some more merit to the theory that the 180 000 was the result of hyperbole.

The Apollo is also shown to carry at least 7 missiles which it launches at the Asuran ship, probably more though, since there’s much of that scene which is seen from either inside the cockpit of the jumper or the Apollo. What kind of missiles these are is unknown though. They didn’t seem to display the thermal flash which one would expect from nukes, but then again, even what the BC-304s call missiles are far into the megaton-range (perhaps even gigaton) given their displayed effects in “Family Ties”.
They still haven't figured out that the missiles should detonate before they get destroyed by hitting shiels.
This is getting old and stupid, frankly.
Personally, it’s become clear to me that it’s a simple matter of the VFX guys not being interested in adding the great white flashes from the nukes. We’ve seen the nukes so many times now in space, and whenever they hit shields, there is no great white flash.
Yet in No Man's Land, we got those flashes.

Besides, is it true that the puddle jumper took direct hits from the Asuran ship and survived?
Is it true that the 304 did so as well and didn't buckle that much?

The Asteroid Belt:

This is one of the most interesting bits in both episodes, and yet, the shot seems to be unfinished and most of it is missing altogether, so there's not a whole lot new to be learned here. There are a few things though.

First, it is suggested that a shielded Atlantis would be able to fly through it if it actually had its shields up. Atlantis, is apparently traveling quite fast as well and unable to decelerate because sub-light drives are damaged. If we get to see how fast the ship is going in the final version of the episode, we might be able to get a calc going on shield strength.
Certainly better than certain imperial captains not being pleased about getting inside asteroids fields with their warships.
Second, it's suggested that the ancient chair might be able to clear a path through the field. We don't actually see how big these asteroids are, since the scene is missing, but McKay refers to them as 'building-sized or larger'. It's worth saying that in the second episode, we do actually see some of these asteroids, and they appear to be a little bigger then the puddle jumpers, but no more. Of course, that was a very brief segment, so it could be that there were larger pieces which we didn't see.
Huh, clearing a path through an asteroid field, where some of them can even be building sized?
We'd need to know how vast is that field, the density of asteroids, their size, and above all how fast and how long Altlantis flies through it.

To me, this is not surprising that a ZPM supported ship could eat those asteroids by ramming through them.
Thirdly, puddle-jumpers are apparently able to destroy most of these asteroids with their on-board drone weapons. Given the size of the asteroids seen going pop in the second episode, it would indicate that jumper launched drones are around a gigajoule in yield, perhaps more. But like I said, we'll have to wait for the final episode to get anything more substantial out of this.

It’s also interesting to see that there are apparently at least 12 puddle-jumpers fully loaded with drones (at least 4 per jumper) on Atlantis.
A good defense. That said, it doesn't require much to simply shatter asteroids. But the squids have rather weird behaviours anyway, either acting like NDF weapons, simple pellets or biosignature seeking missiles which explode on contact.

Hyperspace travel:

This is quite a trivial bit of information, but I thought speculating on it would be quite nice. Atlantis runs a danger of being ripped apart if it enters hyperspace with insufficient power. I'm guessing this is a throwback to what is said in the first season of SG1, that extreme force is being projected at ships traveling through hyperspace.
Supported by the discussion between Zelenka and McKay in No Man's Land, and the idea of leaving a ship's hyperspace field bubble. Sheppard's F-302 was within that field, and couldn't know its shape, so it was risky for him to get off the hiveship.

That said, SG-1 also established that ships can't have shields up in hyperspace. Not even the replicators could. Only Atlantis has been able to do so. I don't think it has to do with power, but more with specialisation.
It seems that most ships - read 99.99% of them in Stargate - have two different forcefields. One for hyperspace, and one for battle defense in normal space.
Jumper Hyperdrive:

You may remember that McKay in "Tao of Rodney" was able to figure out how to create a hyperdrive for the puddle jumper. Well in this episode, it is revealed that he didn't finish the upgrade, but that it was doable. What results is a hyperdrive with a very limited range, it’s unable to make even a ‘short’ 2000 light-year jump. They were able to jump to Asuras though, but how far that is from where Atlantis was is unknown. It was also a one-way trip, as the hyperdrive burned up too much energy to make a second jump.
It's hard to tell. It's the first time they really try to make their own hyperdrive, and without ancient knowledge and brainz, it's likely that the final result is half assed, really. However, for a ship of that size, it's still remarkable. Either the hyperdrive is much more efficient than anything the Goa'uld can make, or the puddle jumper has a power source that is still small enough to fit inside that ship and not take any noticable room, and still enable a short-medium range hyperjump.
Jumper Cloaking

There are two interesting things to note about the cloaking device in these episodes.

First off, they seem quite effective even against civilizations with a high tech-level, as indicated when a Jumper is able to land on Asuras without even being in danger of being detected by at least passive sensor sweeps, though it’s possible that active sensor sweeps might locate it.
Yes, better say that. Otherwise, it adds even more to Asuran stupidity.
So I'd go with the idea that they can't find it, if they don't know that they have to look for it.
Secondly, the cloaks can now apparently be turned into anti-replicator fields. This shouldn’t be too surprising though, seeing as how they basically did the same thing with Atlantis’ shields in “The Return”. The shields in this mode could also be extended quite a bit, which is also a previously seen feat, though the distance they extended in this episode seemed quite a lot larger.

The cloak/shields/AR-field also seems to be a lot less power-intensive then hyperdrives, seeing as how the Jumper didn’t have enough power to actually jump into hyperspace, but did have enough power to cloak and extend the AR field quite a bit. It could be possible to calculate power needed to enter hyperspace simply getting the energy needed to lift the jumper to orbit. This is another thing that would require a scaling of a puddle-jumper, so I might just have to do that myself later on, if there isn’t a scaling available already.
I think I've only one, which is surprising.
Basically, I think people don't bother because it would be rather simple, since it's able to fly through a stargate. We have plenty of profile, front and rear shots, notably when going through stargates, to know how big it is.
Besides, at one point, a studio introduced a glitch with a slightly different PJ model, with notably bigger and slightly different engines nacelles.
Asuran Ships

There seems to be two different sorts of Asuran ships introduced in the second episode. The first type attacks the Jumper just as it’s taking off from the Asuran homeworld. They fire at the Jumper but cause low damage, indicating that they might be some form of fighter-type craft.
Which is absurd, because even Darts and man made explosive dirt bombs can seriously fuck up a PJ.
Seriously, I didn't expect anything less than asuran fighters simply vaporizing PJs in one shot. If at least they had the shields up... which was not the case.
The second kind is seen when the Jumper reaches space, and that’s the one I will focus on now. Sheppard’s expression upon seeing this new ship-type also suggests it was something different from what was firing at them at first.

The most noticeable thing about this new ship is that it apparently is able to cloak. This is something quite uncommon for standard capital-ships, though there have been a few incidents with such ships.

Offensively the ship seems to fire slow-moving energy-pulses at a slow rate of fire, though these could be drones as well, it’s hard to tell given the quality of the video I have. What’s most striking about them is that the Apollo can take a short bombardment from them with no apparent problem. This would mean that the ship is offensively much less impressive then Ori ships for instance, quite possibly even somewhere in range of Wraith Hiveships.
Which is totally ridiculous. The Tau'ri ship survives against what is nothing less than a next generation lantian warship.
The Asurans have once again been made twats and totally nerfed.
This kind of shit is really getting tiring.
Let's not talk about Weir's haking skills and the ability to put her hand into his head. FFS.
I can be paid to write such inconsistent script and lame ass plot solutions you know.

And, again, that crap about slow moving blobs fired at spitting range.

The script writing quality is really getting low. Their deus ex machinas and convenient impossible odds will only be saved by their apparently will to develop characters, at least, after three seasons.
Defensively the ship is able to take at least 7 missiles launched from the Apollo (whether these were nukes or not is unknown) as well as railgun fire.

Another striking thing is that the Asurans apparently had a ‘massive fleet’ at their disposal only a short time after they had their construction-yards destroyed by the Apollo.

Since this was a new ship-class, I thought a few pics might be in order:

Huh, they decided to put the engines on weaker structural protrusion: "fragile" arms. Like a puddle jumper. Same that in this case, we're talking about massive accelerations and huge stress.
Wraith

The Wraith are hardly mentioned in these episodes, but there is one interesting tidbit of information about them as well. Towards the end of the second episode, a large fleet of Asuran ships are headed towards a Wraith planet. So even though the Wraith are mostly spaceborne, they do seem to control actual planets as well.
Possible. Or there's one or two hiveships lying there, or they're in the know that the Wraith are about to regroup at this planet for some culling fiesta.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:22 pm

I completely loosing faith in doing any reliable calc. The writers seem hellbent on insisting that stupid things like reentry or take off can put a ZPM on its knees, and consider that an unshielded puddle jumper is able to resist direct fire from Asuran combat ships.

Which is shit, cause I remember the episode Condemned, where primitive man mande hurtled bombs did seriously fuck a puddle jumper.

The show is dramatically lacking in consistency.
This reminds me a certain argument. Ships designed to withstand one type of energy, while not so much with another type? ;-) To maintain the appearance of consistency, I'd hope the Asuran/Lantian/Wraith weapons use funky physics and that's what they're designed to protect against. Other than that, there was a defect in the Jumper hit by the rocket propelled grenade?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:25 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't agree with that one, as far as Atlantis is concerned, that is. McKay stated that the shield could last almost indefinitely when it wasn't under stress.
Hmm, didn't recall that one.
Wha..?

The descent in this episode pretty much tells us that something was funky with the lift-off previously seen. The city is in bad shape and drawing rediculous amounts of power. Yet it's able to outperform what we saw in "Rising" by a wide marigin.

As for the puddle-jumper shields, those were most likely fighter craft of some sort. And the jumper do have shields now, so they could probably take a few hits.
Dunno. It's friction. I suppose we'd have to consider the heat on the city's underneath. Did the new episodes even hint at the existence of an invisible hull hugging shield for the underneath part?
No, there was the full-blown bubble-shield there absorbing the heat instead. They managed to re-activate the full shielding.
I don't think the hull would withstand that directly.
It's pretty much stated that it can't.
It's almost a free fall.
Going on gut instinct and what little i was able to see of the scene, this seems to be a lot more the free-fall, almost powered re-entry.
One logical question: do those power conduits create an internal tube-like subspace field? Sorry for the technobabble, but I'd suspect that a leak in power conduits dramatically depleting a ZPM would actually lead to the whole city instantly turning into a big, blinding and fastly expanding ball of ionized gas.
Well they radiate their energy away somehow, but how i have no idea.
How are those conduits patched?
No idea, they just said that they patched it somewhat. They didn't repair it, just patch it.
Do we see how the inside of the conduits is?
Nope.
Near depletion? It really was near depletion? While I'm a bit surprised, since I thought they escaped the planet before the asuran beam actually completely swallowed every single potential joule out of the ZPM
The damaged conduits are said to be the main problem here and the short hyperspace jump was presumebly what made almost all the energy bleed out in a very short while.
It's also problematic, because in McKay & Mrs Miller, the ZPM was flash-depleted without a question, down to its last percent. Since I don't see any Tau'ri scientist recalibrating a ZPM, we're looking at a contradiction.
No, this is the part where "this seems to be a function of the city, rather then the actual ZPM" comes into play. The city forces the restrictions on the ZPM, not the ZPM itself.
I prefer my idea that the city's computer, and not the ZPM, refuses to pump out large amounts of energy for certain systems, like stardrive, hyperdrive, shield and weapons, when it's not counting at least 2, if not 3 ZPMs working together.
Well. Yeah. Like i said, the rest of this episode seems to indicate that there isn't a really significant power output limitation on the ZPM just as long as it has enough power. The short hyperspace jump that for instance nearly drained it dry.
Cutting off life support and artificial gravity, ok, but literally decompressing whole parts of the city will not preserve energy. It will only waste rare atmosphere. It takes no energy to contain air inside a box.
It will keep the city intact though. There are windows on Atlantis, remember? I don't think these are the kinds of windows that can withstand high internal pressure if there is no outside pressure. And overall it's said to be quite frail, i mean it is a city after all, not a combat vessel and not something designed to operate in space for a long time.

Having those part filled with atmosphere when the shield went down would've meant large parts of the city being ripped apart as the air inside them would've been hellbent on getting out.
Mh... well, this is problematic. I can't picture hyperdrives taking so much power, when Anubis and Apophis have been using ships as large as Atlantis, and didn't need a ZPM.
Oh no, hyperspace is far from being so demanding that it needs a ZPM for large ships, i never suggested that. It just seems to be the most power intensive system in relation to the other stuff.
Especially since I can't see a ZPM that leaks, but fails to set the city ablaze, being short of providing enough power for hyperspace trip.
Well that is what is said. Even a short jump with a full ZPM drew considerable enregy from it with the leaky conduits.
I'd argue that shields are much more important than weapons. How good weapons are if you're actually dead? :)

- It's for the honour.
Important yes, power-intensive, no. This was partially already said in "The Siege Part 3" where a new Naquadah generator is able to power weapons (although they're nerfed) but unable to raise the shields of the city.
The 3.6 km figure is largely within the 3.5 km ballpark I've seen thus far. Due to the low video quality, we'll have a better occasion to make better scalings later on.
You might've noticed i made a mistake in the scaling, the real figure is now actually 2.6km. However, the 5m long jumper still needs to be corrected, as it's bound to be longer. Closer to the 7-8m mark actually, if i'd have to venture a guess.

I didn't do anything more extensive because of the low quality of the vid though, the picture is saturated all to hell.
Well, 24 hours is not a few hours. It's not even nearly one day, which the character would have likely mentionned. It's a full, single day.
I think something between 3 and 9 hours is more in line with it. They don't even talk about (nearly) half a day.
Aye, but i like being conservative, though i admit i might've overdone it a bit. But what strikes me the most is how in-line this is with the other FTL calcs there are out there. If we're talking 12 hours, this thing would've been about as fast as the Deadalus, so it actually makes perfect sense.
We know that the stargates can't communicate with each other... though I think it was implied that they do open a wormhole. Not sure about that.
Well they can communicate via open wormholes at least, and a wormhole connection is established to do this in this episode.
Funny. The signals are sent through subspace, and they travel through subspace. Didn't the Daedalus, at one point, receive comms while it was in transit for a week or more?
That's actually true now that you mention it. It was in "McKay and Mrs. Miller", they were communicating live with Carter while in hyperspace. It was even said that they'd be out of range after a while.

So in other words, we've got two choises. One, the communication and sensors work differently, or two, this is something that's only true for long-range sensors. Carter says 'long-range sensors won't work in hyperspace'. Maybe short-range sensors do?
They still haven't figured out that the missiles should detonate before they get destroyed by hitting shiels.
No, if that was the case then it wouldn't make sense for them to continously send missiles towards the enemy and think they actually do good.

This is a simple case of VFX people not realizing there should be blinding flash. Out-of-verse at least.
But there the missiles also impacted the Wraith Hive, not shields. They seem to be drawing a distinction there.
A good defense. That said, it doesn't require much to simply shatter asteroids.
Well, i used Wong's calculator for shatter energy to get the rough figure. But having said that, these things explode rather violently and the Jumpers seem to be flying straight through the scattered mass without a care in the world.

The squids also work like missiles in this episode, they touch the asteroids and then go boom.
Which is absurd, because even Darts and man made explosive dirt bombs can seriously fuck up a PJ.
Unshielded PJs.
Let's not talk about Weir's haking skills and the ability to put her hand into his head. FFS.
Well Oberoth is made up of nanites, so it's quite possible. And Weir's hacking skills came from the nanites they injected into her.
The script writing quality is really getting low. Their deus ex machinas and convenient impossible odds will only be saved by their apparently will to develop characters, at least, after three seasons.
I have to disagree. Both the science talk and the plot in these two episodes were very well done in my opinion. And i haven't been too happy about the most recent episodes before this either.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:51 pm

Alright, i made a really half-assed, and yes, i mean it, this scaling is really lacking and not meant to be taken seriously. All it does is show that a puddlejumper is at least 8 meters in length.

As you can see, i gave a 1.5m figure for the guy, this is already rediculous, but i guess it's partially compensated for the fact that he is a little bent. And you can't even see the top of the puddlejumper, yet my scaling assumes it is only as high as shown in the pic. So the jumper is roughly 3m high.

Here, again, i didn't even include the nose of the ship when i did this scaling, so again, it's going to be very much a lower limit. Yet the figure comes out as more then 8 meters. So we'll call it an even 8 meters just to be on the rediculously fair side, right?

Now then, let's redo those earlier calcs.

Wow. 4.1km wide Atlantis. And this is a rediculously nerfed scaling. Realistically, once the real scalings are done, we're probably looking at a 5 to 6km wide Atlantis.

EDIT: Just for comparison, i made a scaling with a 10m jumper, which put Atlantis at some 5.1km wide

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:55 pm

l33telboi wrote: Wha..?

The descent in this episode pretty much tells us that something was funky with the lift-off previously seen. The city is in bad shape and drawing rediculous amounts of power. Yet it's able to outperform what we saw in "Rising" by a wide marigin.
I have not seen these two new eps, but still. What do you mean by outperform the feat in Rising? Back then, the city was fighting against gravity, and even managed to kick a boost with the stardrive, which literraly blew a huge amount of snow off the ground and created an expanding wave.
In First Strike, the city was lumbering getting up, and needed to deactivate the shields - nevermind if they were theoretically said to be hungryless as long as nothing assaulted it - at that moment, the beam was stopped by the asteroid.

Besides, the crucial point here, where the explanation in the episode fails, is that the damage was done after we could already see the city struggling to take off. At that moment, there were no leaks yet.

So a better explanation would be that most of the ZPM was going into the shield, and they couldn't reroute the power.

We could eventually plug the "city's near-depleted-ZPM manager program" tibdit, so we can also suggest that the city, for some reason, decided to limit the output of the ZPM. But that's really fetched, because it would be in contradiction with the accomplished hyperdrive jump. Or, if the city really put a cap on the ZPM's output, it would mean that since the ZPM was still capable of leaking energy and afford an hyperspace trip, the whole threshold where the city decides to cap the output would be quite high in fact, and that for some reason, then was a good moment to put such a cap.
Possible that the city considered the existence of the asuran beam a top priority, and refused to let other systems benefit of as much energyas the shields.

It's good to remember that Atlantis was not in danger back in McKay & Mrs Miller. At that time, the city might have given a lot of leeway on the ZPM management.
Funny thing, it would suggest that the city can get a bit more autonomous than previously thought.
But that would be in line with what we saw in Rising and Hotzone.
As for the puddle-jumper shields, those were most likely fighter craft of some sort. And the jumper do have shields now, so they could probably take a few hits.
I'm afraid the lack of shield glare would contradict this.
Of course, if all incidents of the PJ being hit were only experienced from the ship's cockpit, it will be hard to argue about the presence of the shields, or not.
Well they radiate their energy away somehow, but how i have no idea.
It can only be in subspace then, which would mean that the power conduits are like an extension of the ZPMs. This would be very practicle, actually, to store massive amounts of energy. And would even, for once, explain how ship reactors can leak and yet not liberate huge amounts of energy in realspace.
Near depletion? It really was near depletion? While I'm a bit surprised, since I thought they escaped the planet before the asuran beam actually completely swallowed every single potential joule out of the ZPM
The damaged conduits are said to be the main problem here and the short hyperspace jump was presumebly what made almost all the energy bleed out in a very short while.
So we could assume that the conduits which were damaged were those which were feeding the hyperdrive, since apparently the leak is reported when the hyperdrive is on.
No, this is the part where "this seems to be a function of the city, rather then the actual ZPM" comes into play. The city forces the restrictions on the ZPM, not the ZPM itself.
So it's confirmed that the city manages the flux, right? Because I had the impression that you were saying that the episode said it was the ZPM which managed this.
It will keep the city intact though. There are windows on Atlantis, remember? I don't think these are the kinds of windows that can withstand high internal pressure if there is no outside pressure. And overall it's said to be quite frail, i mean it is a city after all, not a combat vessel and not something designed to operate in space for a long time.
Well, of course, we're facing a point where we see that the Alterans had more faith in shields, and found it easier, than having sealing shutters automatically protecting the most fragile parts of the city.
Having those part filled with atmosphere when the shield went down would've meant large parts of the city being ripped apart as the air inside them would've been hellbent on getting out.
I suppose that's it. The windows are really weak.
Well that is what is said. Even a short jump with a full ZPM drew considerable enregy from it with the leaky conduits.
The amount of energy being leaked must be completely absurd. The city had to compensate for the leaks, by having the ZPM output much more energy, so enough arrived at the hyperdrive.

- It's for the honour.
Important yes, power-intensive, no. This was partially already said in "The Siege Part 3" where a new Naquadah generator is able to power weapons (although they're nerfed) but unable to raise the shields of the city.
But like you said, they're nerfed. They fired like a semi dozen of drones, and the naqgen Mark II was depleted. Hardly effective, when you consider the ratio power/use.
I think that the problem with the naqahdah generators was not that they couldn't be used to power the shield, but that they would not last long, while powering the rest of the city at the same time.
You might've noticed i made a mistake in the scaling, the real figure is now actually 2.6km. However, the 5m long jumper still needs to be corrected, as it's bound to be longer. Closer to the 7-8m mark actually, if i'd have to venture a guess.

I didn't do anything more extensive because of the low quality of the vid though, the picture is saturated all to hell.
:) nope, I didn't check. Too tired right now.
Aye, but i like being conservative, though i admit i might've overdone it a bit. But what strikes me the most is how in-line this is with the other FTL calcs there are out there. If we're talking 12 hours, this thing would've been about as fast as the Deadalus, so it actually makes perfect sense.
Indeed.
Well they can communicate via open wormholes at least, and a wormhole connection is established to do this in this episode.
I made a typo. I meant the stargates can communicate with each other. That's how they keep track of each other. However, stargates which have been sealed seem to be unable to update the "adress catalogue", which would clearly suggest that gates autodial other gates. Now, I can't say for sure, without reading the transcript, if the stargates can do that via long range subspace comms, or if they need to open a wormhole.
That's actually true now that you mention it. It was in "McKay and Mrs. Miller", they were communicating live with Carter while in hyperspace. It was even said that they'd be out of range after a while.

So in other words, we've got two choises. One, the communication and sensors work differently, or two, this is something that's only true for long-range sensors. Carter says 'long-range sensors won't work in hyperspace'. Maybe short-range sensors do?
Let's recap what happened in both cases.

In McKay & Thingy, it was a long range live communication established between the Daedalus and the SGC.

In Season 4, the Daedalus is searching for Atlantis, and has to use FTL sensors to pick up the city's trace.
The cases were ships in hyperspace were able to actually spot other ships in real space is pretty slim. I can think of one single instance: when SG-1 returned from Proclarush Teonas, and picked up Anubis' fleet around Earth quite some time before arriving, while using the boosted hyperdrive.
In Allies, the Daedalus didn't detect the presence of two hiveships, and got attacked by surprise.

However, it's a given that ships in real space can spot incoming ships in hyperspace. Goa'uld have been doing this several times.

The context is different for both cases. It's likely that as long as you have a beacon, or know where the target is, you can keep long range comms on with a ship in hyperspace.

I don't see why comms would be different than sensors. They're using the exact same stuff: radiations in subspace to reach FTL speeds.

But obviously, there seems to be a barrier at some point, when sending waves out for active scanning, having them bump on the target, and return to the receiving sensors.
Since a ship in hyperspace can be picked up by a ship in normal spacetime, I'd wager that the problem lies with the signal returning to the original ship. Either there's an interference, or because of the hyperdrive speed, the signal can't catch up the ship, so you actually manage to send it, but it can't return fast enough.

In Lost City, Earth was the target, so any FTL signal sent towards Earth would bump back, and the tel'tak used by SG-1 would actually go through the returning signal.

But when you don't know where the city is, and when it could be anywhere, above you, below you, or on your sides, you can't know if by the time you send your signal, you have not already moved past your target. Now, that's a nice explanation, but I think that problem would be easily overcome just by constantly sending a signal for active scanning.

So, it's likely that there's an interference of some kind when the signal has to return. Why it did so with the Daedalus and not the tel'tak is a mystery.

No, if that was the case then it wouldn't make sense for them to continously send missiles towards the enemy and think they actually do good.

This is a simple case of VFX people not realizing there should be blinding flash. Out-of-verse at least.
I think this would be quite well known now, don't you think so?
It's not like they have better weapons either.

Besides, we got the same problem when the Apollo fired three missiles at the asuran satgate. They exploded shamefully on the shield, with no flash.
Of course, this was a problem to me, because McKay still reported that it affected the shield as a drop by 0.002.

Yes, I'd rather believe that in that case, it was a problem of VFX, again.
But the explosion of megaton or gigaton missiles at that altitude would have been noticed on the surface, right?

Oh, well, Atlantis had its shield up...
Anyway, it's not that hard to know that a (very quick double) flash is expected. People have been repeating that on forums for quite some time.
But there the missiles also impacted the Wraith Hive, not shields. They seem to be drawing a distinction there.
A good defense. That said, it doesn't require much to simply shatter asteroids.
Well, i used Wong's calculator for shatter energy to get the rough figure. But having said that, these things explode rather violently and the Jumpers seem to be flying straight through the scattered mass without a care in the world.

The squids also work like missiles in this episode, they touch the asteroids and then go boom.
Unshielded PJs.
But do we have any proof that the PJ was shielded at that very moment. That's the question. They were low on energy, if I'm correct.
Well Oberoth is made up of nanites, so it's quite possible. And Weir's hacking skills came from the nanites they injected into her.
No. No. This one really stinks. Weir is a human who's recently acquired a short limited quantity of nanites, and she defeats Oberoth who's made of them.
Only on sheer numbers, this does not make sense.
Besides, there's also the sheer fact that Oberoth is the pure model, the root of the whole species, and has something like 10,000 years of experience using the nanites.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Weir can plant her hand in his head.

So it's the heroic noob human who's better at using a small quantity of nanites, who beats the entity that is the professional literally made of nanites from A to Z.

This is a lame cop out.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:26 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I have not seen these two new eps, but still. What do you mean by outperform the feat in Rising?
It decelerated from going several thousand, more likely tens of thousands of meters per second to a few hundred meters per second in nothing but a few seconds. At least, this is what the scene looks like. Hard to get specifics. And while doing this, it had to absorb the heat from the friction and it was driving around with very limited power-generation.

That's a far more impressive feat then seen in "Rising".
Of course, if all incidents of the PJ being hit were only experienced from the ship's cockpit, it will be hard to argue about the presence of the shields, or not.
Well, they are shot from the inside of the cockpit. They didn't have enough power to switch the AR-field back to a cloak though, no mention of shields there or not.

However, the possibility that Oberoth wanted them alive isn't impossible either. Previously in the episode, he captured them because he wanted info from them.
So we could assume that the conduits which were damaged were those which were feeding the hyperdrive, since apparently the leak is reported when the hyperdrive is on.
The leak affects everything. McKay explains that everything that needs power draws more then before. Because these were the main conduits that were damaged, in other words the conduits leading from the ZPM to the rest of the ship.

Shields, hyperdrive, life-support, gravity all the non-essential systems, everything is drawing more energy then before.
So it's confirmed that the city manages the flux, right? Because I had the impression that you were saying that the episode said it was the ZPM which managed this.
Well presumebly so, since the ZPM was depleted to almost nothing in a matter of seconds when they entered hyperspace and then were ejected. Later on, when they make the jump to the new homeplanet, a very short jump from what i can tell, Carter says that the ZPM has once again gobbled up a lot of energy.
Well, of course, we're facing a point where we see that the Alterans had more faith in shields, and found it easier, than having sealing shutters automatically protecting the most fragile parts of the city.
Personally, i don't really see the problem with this. Atlantis was never supposed to stay in space for prolonged periods and it certainly wasn't a warship. And hey, it survived for several thousands of years intact on the bottom of an ocean.

I think they considered the shields reliable enough.
The amount of energy being leaked must be completely absurd. The city had to compensate for the leaks, by having the ZPM output much more energy, so enough arrived at the hyperdrive.
This seems to be the case, yes.
:) nope, I didn't check. Too tired right now.
Which is probably for the best, the figures i now have tell of a 4.1km to 5.1km wide Atlantis.
Let's recap what happened in both cases.

In McKay & Thingy, it was a long range live communication established between the Daedalus and the SGC.

In Season 4, the Daedalus is searching for Atlantis, and has to use FTL sensors to pick up the city's trace.
The cases were ships in hyperspace were able to actually spot other ships in real space is pretty slim. I can think of one single instance: when SG-1 returned from Proclarush Teonas, and picked up Anubis' fleet around Earth quite some time before arriving, while using the boosted hyperdrive.
In Allies, the Daedalus didn't detect the presence of two hiveships, and got attacked by surprise.

However, it's a given that ships in real space can spot incoming ships in hyperspace. Goa'uld have been doing this several times.

The context is different for both cases. It's likely that as long as you have a beacon, or know where the target is, you can keep long range comms on with a ship in hyperspace.

I don't see why comms would be different than sensors. They're using the exact same stuff: radiations in subspace to reach FTL speeds.

But obviously, there seems to be a barrier at some point, when sending waves out for active scanning, having them bump on the target, and return to the receiving sensors.
Since a ship in hyperspace can be picked up by a ship in normal spacetime, I'd wager that the problem lies with the signal returning to the original ship. Either there's an interference, or because of the hyperdrive speed, the signal can't catch up the ship, so you actually manage to send it, but it can't return fast enough.

In Lost City, Earth was the target, so any FTL signal sent towards Earth would bump back, and the tel'tak used by SG-1 would actually go through the returning signal.

But when you don't know where the city is, and when it could be anywhere, above you, below you, or on your sides, you can't know if by the time you send your signal, you have not already moved past your target. Now, that's a nice explanation, but I think that problem would be easily overcome just by constantly sending a signal for active scanning.

So, it's likely that there's an interference of some kind when the signal has to return. Why it did so with the Daedalus and not the tel'tak is a mystery.
Merits further investigation i'd say. I've never really paid attention to that stuff before.

Oh, and it was the Apollo, not the Deadalus. ;)
I think this would be quite well known now, don't you think so?
It's not like they have better weapons either.

Besides, we got the same problem when the Apollo fired three missiles at the asuran satgate. They exploded shamefully on the shield, with no flash.
Of course, this was a problem to me, because McKay still reported that it affected the shield as a drop by 0.002.

Yes, I'd rather believe that in that case, it was a problem of VFX, again.
But the explosion of megaton or gigaton missiles at that altitude would have been noticed on the surface, right?
As in a bright light in the sky, sure. But apart from that it shouldn't have affected them all that much. The sattelite was really high up.
Oh, well, Atlantis had its shield up...
Anyway, it's not that hard to know that a (very quick double) flash is expected. People have been repeating that on forums for quite some time.
The problem is that the thermal flash should be visible for everything. Photon Torpedoes, turbo-lasers anything that has a yield in the nuke area should exhibit a hefty bright light when the energy is released.

So it irks me a bit that for some odd reason, nukes aren't given the same leeway as say, photon torpedoes.
But do we have any proof that the PJ was shielded at that very moment. That's the question. They were low on energy, if I'm correct.
Nope, not really. That was just an assumption on my part initially. We don't really know if they were shielded or not.
No. No. This one really stinks. Weir is a human who's recently acquired a short limited quantity of nanites, and she defeats Oberoth who's made of them.
Only on sheer numbers, this does not make sense.
Besides, there's also the sheer fact that Oberoth is the pure model, the root of the whole species, and has something like 10,000 years of experience using the nanites.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Weir can plant her hand in his head.

So it's the heroic noob human who's better at using a small quantity of nanites, who beats the entity that is the professional literally made of nanites from A to Z.

This is a lame cop out.
Well, it was a sort of 'Who has the greater mental power' thing. Much like Daniel and RepliCarter when they were struggling. Experience might not have been a factor.

Meh, i dunno. It isn't the best piece of writing, i admit. But it didn't really bother me that much either.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:27 pm

About how stargates update themselves, from Avenger 2.0:

CARTER
Automatic correlative updates.

CHLOE
I thought those were supposed to happen only once every couple of hundred years.

CARTER
That was the theory.
CARTER
This is the original target Gate.
(points to another spot)
This is Colonel O'Neill's position.
(hits return and a new screen appears)
These are the Gates first reported offline by the Tok'ra.
(hits return again)
A few minutes later, several more.

HAMMOND
They appear to be spreading out from the original Gate.

CARTER
Yes, sir.

HAMMOND
You still think this is a coincidence?

CARTER
Well, sir, we think we may have an explanation. We know that the Gate network has to undergo periodic correlative updates in order to compensate for stellar drift. Now, we've never witnessed it, but we believe that the Gates dial each other automatically to transmit the new coordinates that apply to each address.

HAMMOND
And you believe Dr. Felger's virus initiated one of these updates?

CARTER
It may have triggered an automatic internal protocol in the DHD. Before adapting the new scrambled coordinates, it dialed out and transmitted them to a few of the neighboring Gates who then transmitted to a few more and so on and so on…

FELGER
And so on…yeah.

HAMMOND
Is there any way we can stop it?

CHLOE
There's no time, sir. If each Gate only dials two others before adapting to the new system, the entire network will be infected in less than two hours.

CARTER
We need to focus on getting as many people back as possible, sir.
CARTER
Let's think this through logically. The entire Gate network has been paralyzed, but we can still dial out.

FELGER
And we're assuming that the virus was spread as a result of the correlative updates initiated by the DHDs.

CHLOE
We don't have a DHD, so our Gate was unaffected.

CARTER
Right. It also means another change would probably result in another system-wide update.

FELGER
So, if we can get just one DHD converted back to the old coordinate system, the Gate network would spread it for us.

CARTER
But how do you convert back to the old system, when the new one is based on a completely random principal?

FELGER
There still has to be a pattern. I mean, if we can get one DHD to establish a lock with a specific Gate, then all we have to do is compare that old address to the new address and extrapolate a translation program…yeah…

CARTER
That would mean random dialing.

CHLOE
Seven symbols chosen from a pool of thirty-eight nonrepeating candidates? That's about sixty-three billion possible combinations.

FELGER
She's good with numbers. I was going to get her to do my taxes.
FELGER
Well, General, we think we know why we were unable to upload a dialing program into the Gate system. It now looks as though the virus itself, somehow, transmitted along with the new coordinate system to the entire DHD network.

HAMMOND
The virus is blocking the upload.

FELGER
That's right. That's right, and we need to neutralize it first. But in order to do that, we have to find it.

HAMMOND
I don't understand.

FELGER
W—well, uh, the truth is, we don't know how the virus was transmitted. If it piggybacked with the automatic correlative update, that means it's buried somewhere within the dialing program itself. We're talking thousands of lines of code…you know, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

CARTER
But we do know that the virus exists within a very specific sub-routine of the original target DHD on P5S-117. The catch is, in order to make this work, we have to reboot the system which means removing the control crystal. Someone's going to have to physically go to the planet, sir.
The gates have to dial out. Which logically means establishing a wormhole. This happens "only once every couple of hundred years".
With so much leeway, this explains why one stargate will occupy the network zone of a whole star system, and likely slightly beyond that.

As for comms and sensors in and out of hyperspace, here's season 2 Intruder:
McKAY: Like I said, it's possible. Look, I recommend we drop out of hyperspace, run a full diagnostic on the power distribution systems ...

CALDWELL: No, if we drop out now, we risk being detected.

McKAY: That's true. I just think if we ...

CALDWELL (interrupting): We'll be back in Atlantis in less than two days. You can do your diagnostic then.
They were back to Atlantis, on the edge of the Pegasus galaxy, and the trip would take 18 days top.
Caldwell's comments are interesting. Would it mean that remaining in hyperspace would help bypass any active or passive scanning? Or was it that he knew that in hyperspace, they could be detected, but would always be much faster than Wraith ships.

Besides, didn't Yu actually contact his First Prime when he was in hyperspace, and asking him to reroute his shisp to the other side of the galaxy or so? What episode was that again? I remember Teal'c was onboard.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Well, in this episode, Atlantis is able to monitor the Asuran homeworld from their own planet. Which is interesting since the Asurans apparently were oblivious to the location of Atlantis. The difference between active and passive scanning at work i presume.

In any case, they detect a large fleet of Asuran ships taking off and they can tell where the ships are headed. This would indicate they can detect ships in hyperspace. Or then they figured out the destination from before the ships went into hyper.

I dunno. I fear that is another topic that might have to be analysed quite heftily before any kind of resolution can be found.

As it is though, it seems to be canon that at least long-range sensors are indeed unavailable to scan realspace from hyperspace.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:47 pm

l33telboi wrote: It decelerated from going several thousand, more likely tens of thousands of meters per second to a few hundred meters per second in nothing but a few seconds. At least, this is what the scene looks like. Hard to get specifics. And while doing this, it had to absorb the heat from the friction and it was driving around with very limited power-generation.

That's a far more impressive feat then seen in "Rising".
Ah, ok. That's quite impressive.
Not tempted doing any deceleration calcs? ;)

Well, they are shot from the inside of the cockpit. They didn't have enough power to switch the AR-field back to a cloak though, no mention of shields there or not.

However, the possibility that Oberoth wanted them alive isn't impossible either. Previously in the episode, he captured them because he wanted info from them.
Aw yeah, I knew that at one point, we'd have to mention the capture argument. :)

Didn't Zelenka said that a cloak eats more energy than the shield?
The leak affects everything. McKay explains that everything that needs power draws more then before. Because these were the main conduits that were damaged, in other words the conduits leading from the ZPM to the rest of the ship.

Shields, hyperdrive, life-support, gravity all the non-essential systems, everything is drawing more energy then before.
Ok. The extent of the damage was massive. I suppose that the ZPM room is inside the main tower, the one which was hit by the beam.
Would explain why it was like damaging the trunc of the power tree.
Well presumebly so, since the ZPM was depleted to almost nothing in a matter of seconds when they entered hyperspace and then were ejected. Later on, when they make the jump to the new homeplanet, a very short jump from what i can tell, Carter says that the ZPM has once again gobbled up a lot of energy.
Interesting. That would be a proof that the hyperdrive charges up to some point.
Personally, i don't really see the problem with this. Atlantis was never supposed to stay in space for prolonged periods and it certainly wasn't a warship. And hey, it survived for several thousands of years intact on the bottom of an ocean.

I think they considered the shields reliable enough.
Oh yes, they obviously did. That said, it's still odd for a city that is built from the get go, to be able to go into space, to have such fragile structures, when it's not that hard to have solid windows for example. Loo, even puddle jumpers and the geothermal station use strong transparent materials (noticed the spotlights on the harvester? light has to go through transparent material).
Which is probably for the best, the figures i now have tell of a 4.1km to 5.1km wide Atlantis.
Between 2.6 and 4.1, a figure as 3.x km would be right and in line with the rest. Anyway, they seem to get the scaling right now. In Sunday, they scaled McKay correctly.

Be careful with the picture above. The camera is looking down at the city, so the final figure here is nothing more than a very rough estimation.
A profile shot would be required, to get rid of the camera's inclination.
Well, it was a sort of 'Who has the greater mental power' thing. Much like Daniel and RepliCarter when they were struggling. Experience might not have been a factor.
But Daniel was put inside a reality with somehow, Carter helping him getting access to his ancient mind, which was still there, somehow.
Weir never got that chance. Unless Oberoth lowered his defense on purpose. Of course. How convenient.
Or is it that thing about how he wants to capture them, and thus shoots his own foot everytime? It's growing a comedy aspect to it.

Besides, I'm extremely disapointed with the asuran warship not literally shredding the Apollo to bits. Unless the Apollo had a ZPM onboard, right?

I know that thus far, the latest three ZPMs went that way:

One to Earth, for the defense platform.
One for the Odyssey, right?
One for Atlantis, at one point used in the Daedalus (Echoes).

The Asurans are able to have plenty of ZPMs. No, wait. Not supposed. They do have many of ZPMs.

Not only their basic ships can't come with more power than that, but apparently, they haven't figured out the advantage of using a ZPM onboard.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:49 pm

l33telboi wrote:As it is though, it seems to be canon that at least long-range sensors are indeed unavailable to scan realspace from hyperspace.
Well, some sensors, cause the hyperdrive boosted tel'tak was clearly able to detect Anubis' ships on long range sensors, while travelling in hyperspace.

It may be, again, Earth getting shitty asgard sensors.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:10 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Ah, ok. That's quite impressive.
Very tempted. Unfortunately the picture brighness is so high that during most of the scene the video is completly white. So it'll have to wait.

Heck, knowing my luck, it's just my eyes playing tricks on me and the ship was going just a few meters per second. :P
Didn't Zelenka said that a cloak eats more energy than the shield?
Can't say that i can recall.
Ok. The extent of the damage was massive. I suppose that the ZPM room is inside the main tower, the one which was hit by the beam.
Would explain why it was like damaging the trunc of the power tree.
Aye, the ZPM room is said to be at the base of the main tower.
Between 2.6 and 4.1, a figure as 3.x km would be right and in line with the rest. Anyway, they seem to get the scaling right now. In Sunday, they scaled McKay correctly.

Be careful with the picture above. The camera is looking down at the city, so the final figure here is nothing more than a very rough estimation.
A profile shot would be required, to get rid of the camera's inclination.
That's a really nice scaling. Did you do that? And the model looks nice too.
Besides, I'm extremely disapointed with the asuran warship not literally shredding the Apollo to bits. Unless the Apollo had a ZPM onboard, right?
Well, i don't think they had a ZPM aboard, at least it wasn't said anywhere. Though it wouldn't have been impossible form Carter to temporarily getting either the Earth ZPM or Ody ZPM to help.

But yes, the firepower was somewhat underwhelming.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:19 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Ah, ok. That's quite impressive.
Very tempted. Unfortunately the picture brighness is so high that during most of the scene the video is completly white. So it'll have to wait.

Heck, knowing my luck, it's just my eyes playing tricks on me and the ship was going just a few meters per second. :P
Lol. Hey, what are these episodes being release on? You're in Europe, right?
I can't find 'em on my traditionnal... sources. *whistles*
That's a really nice scaling. Did you do that? And the model looks nice too.
Scaling, yep. Model, no. :D I wish I would have, though.
But if I were them, I'd significantly shrink the upper platform, so it does not look like it's several stories high anymore.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Hey, i found the missing Asteroids scene on youtube. Here.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Asuran beam was technobabblish. Because these puddlejumpers destroyed way more Asteroid mass in just a few seconds with piddly puddle-jumper drones.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:35 pm

So, McKay has finally learned how to fly a jumper.