Q Continuum vs Time Lords

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
User15075
Welcome the new member!

Q Continuum vs Time Lords

Post by User15075 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:56 pm

This is my first thread

The whole Q continuum verses the Time Lords from doctor who

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Q Continuum vs Time Lords

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Well, aren't Time Lords quasi-humans who largely used technology to accomplish their best features? I've seen a couple of episodes featuring them, and they seem to have some "human limits" and equally human-level reaction times.
I don't know much about the Q safe that they're closer to what would look like magic.
Of course one would say that the TL erased magic or some such, but the existence of the Q continuum requires that a dimension in the universe where their powers can manifest. It's part of their nature.
This is a popular debate over internet.
For example, at Fact Pile, it appears that magic is about anti-physics, which I preemptively assume means cheats to the natural laws of each universe. It's more like untaped universal rules which have been left out in the making of a given universe but which one magician could use to alter a given universe, at various scales.
Somehow, removing magic meant preventing those untaped rules to be reachable, thus making the universe magic-proof and solidifying the laws of physics once and for all.
Repelling anit-physics might have "only" required repairing some kind of conceptual leak that allowed physics to be bypassed, therefore allowing all sorts of crazy stuff to happen and potentially harming the stability of the universe itself.
Do we know how many anti-physics there were? It's like hackproofing port holes on computers, somehow.
I suspect anti-physics to be a fraction of physics, otherwise if the whole set of rules of the universe was subject to hax and instability, the entire universe couldn't even "work" without crashing and burning. Imagine something worse than the blue screen of death applied to an entire realm.
For the physics to work sufficiently well, the "computer" still had to be reliable enough I think, so the anti-physics had to be a minor issue (all things relative) and therefore a decent virus-check and repair tool set would have worked.
But it's said to be stuff of legends otoh.

Yet when you see Galifrey being besieged by the Dalek fleet and on the verge of destruction, you're not exactly baffled by some amazing powers.
But then again, side effects of weapons that kill Q-like beings cause super novas, when what was necessary to pass through the Transduction Barrier of Gallifrey made the universe "convulse" according to some poster.
Huh.

Hey?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:40 am

leon_caboose wrote:
This is my first thread

The whole Q continuum verses the Time Lords from doctor who
What are the known weaknesses of the Nigh Omnipotent being of Dr.Who? How do the Time Lords deal with them?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:18 pm

They usually... don't. They worshiped the Eternals as Gods. Yes, the Eternals were so powerful, the Time Lords saw them as Gods.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:02 am

Khas wrote:They usually... don't. They worshiped the Eternals as Gods. Yes, the Eternals were so powerful, the Time Lords saw them as Gods.
Would you happen to know if this is accurate?
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Transcendental_being wrote:Transcendental beings were made out of the very matter of time, with a polymorphic lattice of photinos and chronons bound together by super-strings. They had incredible powers, though they had difficulties interacting with normal life. Though they could reach the spatial universe, they normally lived in the Calabi-Yau Space and the Time Vortex. (PROSE: The Quantum Archangel)
It looks like you could use anti-time particles to kill the Q like beings in Dr.Who, but I'm not sure the same will work on the Q?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Tue May 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Q snaps his fingers and suddenly the time lords never existed.