set piece battle: Dominion vs Imperial Guard

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
sonofccn
Starship Captain

set piece battle: Dominion vs Imperial Guard

Post by sonofccn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Taking place in the barest habitable section of a sweltering, generic jungle planet this quick and dirty match up will pit brawn and skill of the respective sides in a fight to the death. Fighting for the honor of the Founders and the glory of the Dominion we have a ten man Jem'Hadar squad armed with their standard rifle and pistol as well as combat knives and Kar'takins

Stealthily concealed in the other corner we have a ten man Catachan jungle squad armed with standard laspistol and rifle as well as the Catachan Fang and Devil's Claw.

Both groups are prohibited additional support or equipment, specifically tricorder/auspex analogues, and dropped "in-country" ten klicks apart with a general direction of where the opposing team is.

Who wins?

Mith
Starship Captain

Re: set piece battle: Dominion vs Imperial Guard

Post by Mith » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:54 am

sonofccn wrote:Taking place in the barest habitable section of a sweltering, generic jungle planet this quick and dirty match up will pit brawn and skill of the respective sides in a fight to the death. Fighting for the honor of the Founders and the glory of the Dominion we have a ten man Jem'Hadar squad armed with their standard rifle and pistol as well as combat knives and Kar'takins

Stealthily concealed in the other corner we have a ten man Catachan jungle squad armed with standard laspistol and rifle as well as the Catachan Fang and Devil's Claw.

Both groups are prohibited additional support or equipment, specifically tricorder/auspex analogues, and dropped "in-country" ten klicks apart with a general direction of where the opposing team is.

Who wins?

Well, it can be hard to say. This all really comes down to a mixture of luck and individuals. However, I will say that the guys who can basically cloak themselves, don't need to eat or sleep, and have no qualms about murdering you in your sleep are probably going to have the advantage over the Imperial Guardsmen. Who need lots of those things (although, murdering the other guy in his sleep is probably fine by them).

Unfortunately, I don't think we're told much in the way of a Jem'Hadar's rifle or pistol weapons, so we can't determine what they're capable of, but they should in theory be capable of the same sort of effects that other phasers/disruptors are capable of. In addition, the Jem'Hadar can benefit from hit and run attacks; hit and shroud. Even the guardsmen not killed will die from infection due to the weird crap in Dominion weapons.

Also, I would suspect that Jem'Hadar weapons have a similar weapon's suite with auto-targeting and sight enhancements that normal Federation/Bajoran rifles are known for.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:28 am

Dominion phase poleron rifles are capable of disintegrating a humanoid ["To The Death"DS9 season 4] and can prevent coagulation of blood ["The Ship" DS9 season 5].

Exactly how powerful phase poleron rifles and pistols are is still unknown, but one can presume they are at least comparable to their Federation and other Alpha Quadrant counterparts in the 1.02 megajoule to 4.7 megajoule capacity range.
-Mike

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Dominion phase poleron rifles are capable of disintegrating a humanoid ["To The Death"DS9 season 4] and can prevent coagulation of blood ["The Ship" DS9 season 5].
Ah, thanks Mike.
Exactly how powerful phase poleron rifles and pistols are is still unknown, but one can presume they are at least comparable to their Federation and other Alpha Quadrant counterparts in the 1.02 megajoule to 4.7 megajoule capacity range.
-Mike
It hardly matters, since I doubt any of the Imperial Guardsmen are going to be sporting personal shield generators. :p

In which case, we can pretty much guess that the Dominion is most likely to win here. But as I said, in reality, it would come down to a lot of factors. Though I still think that the major factor here is the shrouding ability.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:33 am

This seems to be another unbalanced scenario.
No matter how Catachans may be in super dangerous forests, the problem remains that this one is unknown to them, and they're facing tough guys who can cloak.
Can the Jemmies spot the humans in a jungle though?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Mith wrote:Well, it can be hard to say. This all really comes down to a mixture of luck and individuals. However, I will say that the guys who can basically cloak themselves, don't need to eat or sleep, and have no qualms about murdering you in your sleep are probably going to have the advantage over the Imperial Guardsmen. Who need lots of those things (although, murdering the other guy in his sleep is probably fine by them).
Mith wrote:In which case, we can pretty much guess that the Dominion is most likely to win here. But as I said, in reality, it would come down to a lot of factors. Though I still think that the major factor here is the shrouding ability.
Won't disagree that the Jem'Hadar bring a lot of advantages to the table or that they are the easy favorite to win.

In regards to "shrouding" even cloaked a Jem'Hadar should, presumably, still physically interact with the environment, leaving footprints/broken branches/ect, which the Catachans should be adapt at "reading" so while still a tremendous advantage "hit and shroud" tactics may not be as effective as the Jem'Hadar might at first think.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:No matter how Catachans may be in super dangerous forests, the problem remains that this one is unknown to them, and they're facing tough guys who can cloak.
Well the jungle is no more known to the Jem'Hadar and being dropped on a godforsaken, unfamiliar planet is par for the course for the Imperial Guard.
Can the Jemmies spot the humans in a jungle though?
I would presume they would have similar success as RL militaries in such situations, with the added advantage they can cloak, through off the top of my head I can't recall any particular "stealth-based" battles in which to more firmly calibrate the Jem'Hadar's ability.