How would benefit from FengShui Engine technology?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Assuming the technology only works for humans

Star Trek

Babylon 5

Gundam Wing

Star Wars

Some other setting where humans can have psychic powers of your choice.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: How would benefit from FengShui Engine technology?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Lucky wrote:How would benefit from FengShui Engine technology?

Star Trek

Babylon 5

Gundam Wing

Star Wars

FengShui technology?

. . .

W H A T ?

Are these two words even compatible?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:07 am

Lucky wrote:How would benefit from FengShui Engine technology?

Star Trek

Babylon 5

Gundam Wing

Star Wars

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
FengShui technology?

. . .

W H A T ?

Are these two words even compatible?
I forgot that not everyone actually follows the story lines of games like Street Fighter.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Feng_Shui_Engine

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Juri_Han

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Lis ... V_H-Z#Juri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbZzyazMvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFKrdedN2Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s-1jGSoszM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzGnPgWpRNk

Super Street Fighter IV: "Damn! My eye's acting up! Doesn't matter against a loser like you, though."

Related

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Tanden_Engine

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Ki

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Well, it's like a power generator that has some vortex and severe spacetime distorsion abilities.
The ability of Seth's tandem engine, in that it can swallow a human, reminds me of Samus Aran's ability to compress into a morph ball with a capacity of jump and lay bombs.
What's more impressive is that S.I.N. isn't really some super advanced space civilization.
Frankly, that FSE tech propels Shadoloo into the upmost tiers on the civilization meter.
On the flip side, it's not mass produced. It's more like a super weapon.
However, if backed up by a larger industrial might, it would be very impressive.
Although I suspect it would be largely useless within a society that hasn't shown any inclination to master any kind of "magic".
In Star Wars, with something similar such as the Force, it gets interesting. However droids are not capable of using the Force. But imagine a cyborg; imagine Vader, RoboMaul or Maw with FS technology incorporated.
Trouble is, the FSE just seems piss poor in comparison to the TE.
At best it grants physical super abilities. Not bad for an eyeball sized thing but that's like having a talisman or special rune in some other magical universes.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Well, it's like a power generator that has some vortex and severe spacetime distorsion abilities.
The ability of Seth's tandem engine, in that it can swallow a human, reminds me of Samus Aran's ability to compress into a morph ball with a capacity of jump and lay bombs.
1) I don't see a reason to believe that is an ability of the Tanden Engine. It seems like a Ki technique the puppets have.

2) I'm not sure the characters that move is used on would survive outside of game play.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: What's more impressive is that S.I.N. isn't really some super advanced space civilization.
Frankly, that FSE tech propels Shadoloo into the upmost tiers on the civilization meter.
I think you are underestimating the kind of technology Street Fighter has laying around. While it may not be in use by the average person, it is there

Take a look at Karin's endings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBAOHQmmGvA
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Fil ... ending.jpg

Mr. Oragahn wrote: On the flip side, it's not mass produced. It's more like a super weapon.

However, if backed up by a larger industrial might, it would be very impressive.
The Fengshui Engine was given to Juri Han to test it out just like Crimson Viper's battle Suit
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Although I suspect it would be largely useless within a society that hasn't shown any inclination to master any kind of "magic".
It would be out of place if the setting lacked humans with psychokinetic powers. That is why I put forth the list I did.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: In Star Wars, with something similar such as the Force, it gets interesting. However droids are not capable of using the Force. But imagine a cyborg; imagine Vader, RoboMaul or Maw with FS technology incorporated.
I was thinking just the average Star Wars warrior like Han Solo getting a new eye and being able to kick the asses of powerful Sith Lords would be fun

Earth Force in Babylon 5. Just picture the Vorlons or Shadows having to deal with humans who they can't screw with, and can kick their asses in a fist fight.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Trouble is, the FSE just seems piss poor in comparison to the TE.

At best it grants physical super abilities. Not bad for an eyeball sized thing but that's like having a talisman or special rune in some other magical universes.
1) To have a Tanden Engine you basically need to be an engineered life form, but a Fengshui Engine can easily be implanted into a normal human with only minor modifications.

2) A Fengshui Engine simply gives you superhuman amounts of Ki to work with. The physical stats being boosted is just the beginning. You can learn virtually any superpower. A Fengshui Engine offers a very open ended power-up.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:57 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Well, it's like a power generator that has some vortex and severe spacetime distorsion abilities.
1) I don't see a reason to believe that is an ability of the Tanden Engine. It seems like a Ki technique the puppets have.
Occam's razor says it's the engine that allows those powers to manifest that way, even if it were to tap qi (which it most likely does considering the yin-yang aspect of it and the +/- energy harnessing). Outside of it, no ki technique has ever produced anything remotely close to that.
The added fact that all is sucked or emanates from the TE as far as Seth's power go slams the nail.
2) I'm not sure the characters that move is used on would survive outside of game play.
Hard to say. Let's jsut pretend that characters have a ki barrier of some sort.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: What's more impressive is that S.I.N. isn't really some super advanced space civilization.
I think you are underestimating the kind of technology Street Fighter has laying around. While it may not be in use by the average person, it is there

Take a look at Karin's endings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBAOHQmmGvA
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Fil ... ending.jpg
Well, I don't pay attention to obscure merchandising material. Not to say that SFIII has largely ditched the super tech edge to go for a more cartoonish yet occult-organic style.
SF never stroke me as being that flung away into space opera you know. Now that space ship and a planet that explodes is just plain retarded to me.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: In Star Wars, with something similar such as the Force, it gets interesting. However droids are not capable of using the Force. But imagine a cyborg; imagine Vader, RoboMaul or Maw with FS technology incorporated.
I was thinking just the average Star Wars warrior like Han Solo getting a new eye and being able to kick the asses of powerful Sith Lords would be fun
If the Tanden Engine taps qi, the question still remains if you need a modicum of ability to control qi to some degree to be able to activate the TE, and therefore the FSE as well.
Otherwise, if not, then they're devices which tap qi while normal individuals had to develop special abilities to do so.
Transposed to Star Wars, it would be like machines, such as droids, suddenly being able to use the Force as well. That or any human turned cyborg (even if the implant is quite minimal as far as the FSE is concerned).

Imagine Guri or Grievous with the FSE, they'd be even more dangerous, although the FSE isn't much of a game changer. After all, Juri isn't totally invincible either, and she clearly already is able to master qi since like all characters of SF, she can do super jumps and land powerful blows without engaging the FSE.
Earth Force in Babylon 5. Just picture the Vorlons or Shadows having to deal with humans who they can't screw with, and can kick their asses in a fist fight.
Huh, any army with a mass produced FSE. The point, though, is that the FSE is not mass produced and never seen again.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Occam's razor says it's the engine that allows those powers to manifest that way, even if it were to tap qi (which it most likely does considering the yin-yang aspect of it and the +/- energy harnessing). Outside of it, no ki technique has ever produced anything remotely close to that.
The added fact that all is sucked or emanates from the TE as far as Seth's power go slams the nail.
The Shinku Hadoken seems to suck suck things in before it is fully charged and fired, and the other versions of the Hadoken seem to do the same.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Shinku_Hadoken.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Hard to say. Let's jsut pretend that characters have a ki barrier of some sort.
That is the canon reason most characters are superhuman in general.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Well, I don't pay attention to obscure merchandising material. Not to say that SFIII has largely ditched the super tech edge to go for a more cartoonish yet occult-organic style.

SF never stroke me as being that flung away into space opera you know. Now that space ship and a planet that explodes is just plain retarded to me.
1) Street Fighter Alpha 3 is part of the canon Street Fighter time line. Karin is to Ken what Sakura is to Ryu in many ways.

2) How canon Capcom_Fighting_Evolution is debatable given it crosses Street Fighter and Darkstalkers.

3) Street Fighter 4 takes place before Street Fighter 3 as odd as that sounds. They are the same universe, and in both cases the villians make heavy use of biological augmentation.

4) Crimson Viper's battle Suit is an example of super-tech. Her electrical attacks and fire attacks are all tech based.

5) Karin was blowing up an asteroid headed for Earth.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: If the Tanden Engine taps qi, the question still remains if you need a modicum of ability to control qi to some degree to be able to activate the TE, and therefore the FSE as well.
Otherwise, if not, then they're devices which tap qi while normal individuals had to develop special abilities to do so.
Transposed to Star Wars, it would be like machines, such as droids, suddenly being able to use the Force as well. That or any human turned cyborg (even if the implant is quite minimal as far as the FSE is concerned).

Imagine Guri or Grievous with the FSE, they'd be even more dangerous, although the FSE isn't much of a game changer. After all, Juri isn't totally invincible either, and she clearly already is able to master qi since like all characters of SF, she can do super jumps and land powerful blows without engaging the FSE.
1) As I understand it all living things and possibly non-livung things in some belief systems have Qi, and living things naturally use Qi on an instinctual level. A bit of meditation training, and the clones should quickly pick things up.

2) Oddly Guri might have an easier time using a Fengshui Engine do to possibly being more biological.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Huh, any army with a mass produced FSE. The point, though, is that the FSE is not mass produced and never seen again.
When should we have seen a FSE? Juri's FSE is the last step before a finished product, but between the events of Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 3 the Shadowloo and S.I.N. falls leaving groups like various militaries, and spy agencies like the C.I.A. to sort through what is left.

Crimson Viper is a C.I.A. agent, and she is the one most likely to get the most information on Shadowloo technologies even though Cammy deleted a lot of data from the computers.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:17 am

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Occam's razor says it's the engine that allows those powers to manifest that way, even if it were to tap qi (which it most likely does considering the yin-yang aspect of it and the +/- energy harnessing). Outside of it, no ki technique has ever produced anything remotely close to that.
The Shinku Hadoken seems to suck suck things in before it is fully charged and fired, and the other versions of the Hadoken seem to do the same.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Shinku_Hadoken.
Since the beginning, all those most extreme ki techniques have been nothing more than concentrators of energy, with the most extreme form seemingly creating a large vacuum. Hence the name of the technique.
Other than that, nothing there remotely seem to approach the completely extreme spacetime distorsion effect of the Tanden Engine's use.
At best, teleporation (such as Dhalsim's) might be based on a very distant application of some common principle.
Fact remains that we haven't seen anything like that without the use of the TE engine. It's straight forward, unarguable.
It's an ability clearly allowed by the TE.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Well, I don't pay attention to obscure merchandising material. Not to say that SFIII has largely ditched the super tech edge to go for a more cartoonish yet occult-organic style.

1) Street Fighter Alpha 3 is part of the canon Street Fighter time line. Karin is to Ken what Sakura is to Ryu in many ways.

2) How canon Capcom_Fighting_Evolution is debatable given it crosses Street Fighter and Darkstalkers.

3) Street Fighter 4 takes place before Street Fighter 3 as odd as that sounds. They are the same universe, and in both cases the villians make heavy use of biological augmentation.

4) Crimson Viper's battle Suit is an example of super-tech. Her electrical attacks and fire attacks are all tech based.

5) Karin was blowing up an asteroid headed for Earth.
1. Yes but even the SFA series hardly pushed the SF side that far if you limited yourself to games. And frankly, I much prefer SF with the esoteric mix of magic and tech constrained to Earth, than plots involving lame rocket ships which can blow up huge space bodies in a way equally embarrassing as the awesome powers of the Ewoks and their four seasonal gods.

2. Indeed.

3. I know, and it makes total sense. It was first and foremost a commercial decision to make the next SF game closer to the SF2 legacy, which most people knew. It also was a way to reboot the difficulty curve out of the extremes that SF3.3 had reached. Game wise, 3.3 and 2X probably are the crown jewels of the series, but they're obscure and hard as hell for any beginner. Still... red pary. Damn. :D

4. Yes, but it's gone after that. Which was my point. Minor mentions of brain implants and like Q's odd look are about it. In a sense, it's perhaps just one notch above the level of science fiction seen in SF2. SF4 is the only arc that features characters who owe so much to technology.

5. Oi! It was a Ceres-like asteroid, at least. Remember?. And fuck, the meal at the moon base. It's not that it is technically infeasible, especially with the crazy stuff of Street Fighter 4, but it's such a big departure from something that would be more cyberpunk without aiming for space adventure.
Well, it does not matter anyway.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Huh, any army with a mass produced FSE. The point, though, is that the FSE is not mass produced and never seen again.
When should we have seen a FSE? Juri's FSE is the last step before a finished product, but between the events of Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 3 the Shadowloo and S.I.N. falls leaving groups like various militaries, and spy agencies like the C.I.A. to sort through what is left.
Precisely the point. It's missing. Best considered lost tech.
Crimson Viper is a C.I.A. agent, and she is the one most likely to get the most information on Shadowloo technologies even though Cammy deleted a lot of data from the computers.
Yesssssss. I liked the OAV wherein she e-tortured Cammy and pushed Ryu to turn evil. >:]

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Since the beginning, all those most extreme ki techniques have been nothing more than concentrators of energy, with the most extreme form seemingly creating a large vacuum. Hence the name of the technique.
Other than that, nothing there remotely seem to approach the completely extreme spacetime distorsion effect of the Tanden Engine's use.
At best, teleporation (such as Dhalsim's) might be based on a very distant application of some common principle.
Fact remains that we haven't seen anything like that without the use of the TE engine. It's straight forward, unarguable.
This sounds like you are moving the goal posts. First you asked for an example where Ki is used to suck stuff in, and the Hadoken and its variants fit the bill, but now you want someone else using the same technique as Seth it seems.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: 2. Indeed.
But it isn't hard to picture Street Fighter characters sharing a universe with Darkstalkers characters. Rose, Gill, Akuma, Gouki, and M.Bison would fit in perfectly as Darkstalkers characters.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Game wise, 3.3 and 2X probably are the crown jewels of the series, but they're obscure and hard as hell for any beginner. Still... red pary. Damn. :D
You lost me. I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: 4. Yes, but it's gone after that. Which was my point. Minor mentions of brain implants and like Q's odd look are about it. In a sense, it's perhaps just one notch above the level of science fiction seen in SF2. SF4 is the only arc that features characters who owe so much to technology.
A fighting game that revolves around a martial arts tournament really isn't going to highlight the setting's technological gems normally.

The Psycho Drive, Tanden Engine, and Fengshui Engine all seem to be the same Ki generator technology. The Psycho Drive would be the most primitive while the Fengshui Engine would be the latest design, but still in testing. They have psychic/Ki using superhumans as part of their standard military and police forces so odds are "Ki" is well studied.

Karin's particle beam satellite, Crimson Viper's battle suit, Necro, and 12 would imply there is a lot of high end technology we don't see do to it not being plot relevant normally. Energy storage, energy generation, and nanotechnology

The Fengshui Engine and Crimson Viper's battle suit would imply a high capability to shrink systems in size.

If you take Karin's ending in Campon Fighting Evolution then Street Fighter Earth may have artificial gravity.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: 1. Yes but even the SFA series hardly pushed the SF side that far if you limited yourself to games. And frankly, I much prefer SF with the esoteric mix of magic and tech constrained to Earth, than plots involving lame rocket ships which can blow up huge space bodies in a way equally embarrassing as the awesome powers of the Ewoks and their four seasonal gods.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: 5. Oi! It was a Ceres-like asteroid, at least. Remember?. And fuck, the meal at the moon base. It's not that it is technically infeasible, especially with the crazy stuff of Street Fighter 4, but it's such a big departure from something that would be more cyberpunk without aiming for space adventure.
I can't see how you can get a scaling of the asteroid from Karin's ending. We don't see the asteroid until it is blowup, and we don't see how Karin did it.

Karin's shuttle and Moon base seem to have artificial gravity if you look closely
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Precisely the point. It's missing. Best considered lost tech.
Nazi Germany had jet fighters, but it took years after capturing Nazi technology at the end of WWII for the U.S.A. to get jet fighters into production.

They need time to reverse engineer the "Ki" generators, and then test them. The testing will be the hard part as you need healthy human test subjects, and unlike S.I.N. most organizations don't want uncontrollable mass murders running around.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Yesssssss. I liked the OAV wherein she e-tortured Cammy and pushed Ryu to turn evil. >:]
Crimson Viper was a deep cover C.I.A. agent and single mother. She has good reason to want her mission to be successful.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:56 am

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Since the beginning, all those most extreme ki techniques have been nothing more than concentrators of energy, with the most extreme form seemingly creating a large vacuum. Hence the name of the technique.
This sounds like you are moving the goal posts. First you asked for an example where Ki is used to suck stuff in, and the Hadoken and its variants fit the bill, but now you want someone else using the same technique as Seth it seems.
Seems more like you need to read my first post again. ;)

First lines:

Well, it's like a power generator that has some vortex and severe spacetime distorsion abilities.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: 4. Yes, but it's gone after that. Which was my point. Minor mentions of brain implants and like Q's odd look are about it. In a sense, it's perhaps just one notch above the level of science fiction seen in SF2. SF4 is the only arc that features characters who owe so much to technology.
A fighting game that revolves around a martial arts tournament really isn't going to highlight the setting's technological gems normally.
Huh, it's more like it doesn't even have to feature any such technotoys.
The Psycho Drive, Tanden Engine, and Fengshui Engine all seem to be the same Ki generator technology. The Psycho Drive would be the most primitive while the Fengshui Engine would be the latest design, but still in testing. They have psychic/Ki using superhumans as part of their standard military and police forces so odds are "Ki" is well studied.
Funny thing that Bison's (US) attacks in SF2 were nothing more than supernatural. Unless you'd find some very obscure fluff element alluding to the contrary, from the entire SF2 series, nothing pointed to Shadoloo's master using any form of tech. It was really that crappy movie that attempted to spin his abilities into technological enhancements.
Karin's particle beam satellite, Crimson Viper's battle suit, Necro, and 12 would imply there is a lot of high end technology we don't see do to it not being plot relevant normally. Energy storage, energy generation, and nanotechnology
Outside of rather obscure Karin (compared to the usual roster), let's just point out that you're citing SF4 material here. Which is precisely my point.
The Fengshui Engine and Crimson Viper's battle suit would imply a high capability to shrink systems in size.
SF4 again, but I agree. Although the FSE has nowhere the capabilities of the TE. As I said, the eye-thing confers to the wearer/user powers similar to some similairly sized magic-enhancing trinkets found in many heroic fantasy games.
Gives more strength, speed, etc.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: 1. Yes but even the SFA series hardly pushed the SF side that far if you limited yourself to games. And frankly, I much prefer SF with the esoteric mix of magic and tech constrained to Earth, than plots involving lame rocket ships which can blow up huge space bodies in a way equally embarrassing as the awesome powers of the Ewoks and their four seasonal gods.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: 5. Oi! It was a Ceres-like asteroid, at least. Remember?. And fuck, the meal at the moon base. It's not that it is technically infeasible, especially with the crazy stuff of Street Fighter 4, but it's such a big departure from something that would be more cyberpunk without aiming for space adventure.
I can't see how you can get a scaling of the asteroid from Karin's ending. We don't see the asteroid until it is blowup, and we don't see how Karin did it.
Even when fragmented, the thing still is decidedly spherical in shape! This requires the asteroid to have reached hydrostatic equilibrium, and easily brings it to Ceres' size range.

At the very, very least, it could be some kind of Vesta-like big asteroid, only seen round because of a convenient angle.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Seems more like you need to read my first post again. ;)

First lines:

The Tanden Engine can only suck things in when it uses "dark" energy.

If we are try to put some real world energy source to a Tanden Engine I'm inclined to think it uses vacuum energy or Zero-Point energy, but we are talking about a device that generates what the characters in universe call Ki.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Huh, it's more like it doesn't even have to feature any such technotoys.
In all honesty, in a world where things like "Ki manipulation", "Psychic powers", and "magic" are commonplace in a modern Earth type setting, I would expect some super tech simply because scientists would study the "magic" like anything else.

Supertech is also a common plot element in fighting games. You see it in most major fighting game franchises(Mortal Kombat, King of the Fighters, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter).
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Funny thing that Bison's (US) attacks in SF2 were nothing more than supernatural. Unless you'd find some very obscure fluff element alluding to the contrary, from the entire SF2 series, nothing pointed to Shadoloo's master using any form of tech. It was really that crappy movie that attempted to spin his abilities into technological enhancements.
Check the Street Fighter Alpha 3 endings. The Psycho Drive doesn't give Bison/Vega his powers, but it gives him more power.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Outside of rather obscure Karin (compared to the usual roster), let's just point out that you're citing SF4 material here. Which is precisely my point.
Necro and 12 are from Street Fighter 3.

12 is basically a T-1000 that can't change color

Necro is an engineered superhuman.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: SF4 again, but I agree. Although the FSE has nowhere the capabilities of the TE. As I said, the eye-thing confers to the wearer/user powers similar to some similairly sized magic-enhancing trinkets found in many heroic fantasy games.
Not really, a Fengshui Engine does not actually in and of itself grant an increase of a person's physical stats. It grants superhuman levels of "Ki", and gives the ability to.

It is more like the plot device that boosts and refills the mage or psychic's "magical" energy reserve while granting abilities similar to a scouter from Dragon Ball Z. It's a lot like Sage Mode in Naruto without any of the down sides.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Even when fragmented, the thing still is decidedly spherical in shape! This requires the asteroid to have reached hydrostatic equilibrium, and easily brings it to Ceres' size range.

At the very, very least, it could be some kind of Vesta-like big asteroid, only seen round because of a convenient angle.
And if it was a potato shape, and Karin had placed a bomb on the opposite side we see then we might get a similar view.

I honestly think the asteroid in Akuma's ending is the same one Karin blows up in her ending even though the endings seem to be mutually exclusive as is often the case in fighting games.

I also think scaling a comic book is a bad idea do to the artists just trying to draw something that looks good. There is a reason why people who use scalings old comics to gage Slave-1's firepower are mocked.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 am

Lucky wrote: The Tanden Engine can only suck things in when it uses "dark" energy.
Where is it mentionned that only dark energy is used. And what's the definition of dark energy here, from a canonical standpoint?
In all honesty, in a world where things like "Ki manipulation", "Psychic powers", and "magic" are commonplace in a modern Earth type setting, I would expect some super tech simply because scientists would study the "magic" like anything else.
Just if you assume that ki can be manipulated through science. It is a typical modern, atheist and very secular approach of this concept.
Supertech is also a common plot element in fighting games. You see it in most major fighting game franchises(Mortal Kombat, King of the Fighters, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter).
They're still not necessary, nor relevant to Street Fighter either.
Check the Street Fighter Alpha 3 endings. The Psycho Drive doesn't give Bison/Vega his powers, but it gives him more power.
I vaguely remember the robot thing. What happened exactly?
Necro and 12 are from Street Fighter 3.
I occulted those two in my reply because chronologically, SF3 happens after SF4.
They're also some of the weirdest characters.
12 is basically a T-1000 that can't change color
Necro is an engineered superhuman.
Well, that's hardly obvious in the games. Fluff wasn't really what mattered to me.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: SF4 again, but I agree. Although the FSE has nowhere the capabilities of the TE. As I said, the eye-thing confers to the wearer/user powers similar to some similairly sized magic-enhancing trinkets found in many heroic fantasy games.
Not really, a Fengshui Engine does not actually in and of itself grant an increase of a person's physical stats. It grants superhuman levels of "Ki", and gives the ability to.
Huge straw splitting here. Call it magic or ki, the point is that in the end it does increase an individual's abilities. That effects might need to be summoned or are automatic is a minute detail.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Even when fragmented, the thing still is decidedly spherical in shape! This requires the asteroid to have reached hydrostatic equilibrium, and easily brings it to Ceres' size range.

And if it was a potato shape, and Karin had placed a bomb on the opposite side we see then we might get a similar view.
It requires a huge amount of ifs for this to work. Like, the camera conveniently sits at the only angle at which that distorted asteroid while look very spherical.
If we could see more of it...
I also think scaling a comic book is a bad idea do to the artists just trying to draw something that looks good. There is a reason why people who use scalings old comics to gage Slave-1's firepower are mocked.
On the flipside there are limits to denial of overall facts; we may not get reliable intricate detail, but when for example a planet is drawn in a given way, it gives a good idea of what it's about. If the artist had a potato in mind, I suspect he'd have drawn a potota blowing up.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:54 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Where is it mentionned that only dark energy is used. And what's the definition of dark energy here, from a canonical standpoint?
It isn't mentioned, but is shown. The black energy attracts and white energy repels.

Look at Seth's moves. He can only suck people in when using the black energy, and the white energy repels things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKTPU7_2qU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tczjgY2CHWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arBduthFe3s

Able also seems to use white and black energy, but lacks a Tanden Engine. Look at the eyes.
Black energy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWh_rjv0jo
White energy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIUgs0CsF7g
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Just if you assume that ki can be manipulated through science. It is a typical modern, atheist and very secular approach of this concept.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: They're still not necessary, nor relevant to Street Fighter either.
Science is a system for studying the world around us, and technology is simply applying what you learn by using science.

Look at the old mythes and legends, and you will see things that can easily be interrupted as technologies that humans of the time simply did not understand. Megingjörð was said to be a belt that doubled Thor's strength. Megingjörð would appear to be technological device that enhances Thor's powers, and you find this sort of thing all over the place.

I find it rather asinine and insulting to think that humans can't discover or rediscover how the "magic" of the "gods" worked, and then make use of that knowledge. The dwarf in Norse myth seem to be the scientists, engineers, and tradesmen of their time after all.

All these items of power in myth and legend aren't necessary to the stories, but are still there. So no, I see no difference between a dwarf building the object of power, and a human building the object of power.

+++++

Given "Ki" in Street Fighter like most mystical martial arts settings can turn into things like fire and electricity, it is not beyond reason to think the reverse can be done. Heck, it is a common martial arts technique in to turn light and heat into Ki.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/qi

http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/yin-yang
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I vaguely remember the robot thing. What happened exactly?
It varies depending on the character you play as, but most have the Psycho Drive being destroyed and or cities blowing up by it.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Well, that's hardly obvious in the games. Fluff wasn't really what mattered to me.
Do you watch the ends that appear when the game is won with a given character?

12 is very clearly an engineered life form. The way it bends and stretches kind of implies it doesn't have bones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8fe6251mc

Necro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUChjooUgfU

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Huge straw splitting here. Call it magic or ki, the point is that in the end it does increase an individual's abilities. That effects might need to be summoned or are automatic is a minute detail.
The path taken can be as relevant at the destination reached.

Suppose you have a character that can lift a bank vault and throw it. How the character achieves lifting and throwing the bank vault matters. Does the character use a forklift and catapult? Do they use some sort of energy manipulation powers? Do they control gravity? Do they control magnetism?
Mr. Oragahn wrote: It requires a huge amount of ifs for this to work. Like, the camera conveniently sits at the only angle at which that distorted asteroid while look very spherical.
If we could see more of it...
That is the problem with trying to analyze a comic panel when you don't have the panels showing the before or after.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: On the flipside there are limits to denial of overall facts; we may not get reliable intricate detail, but when for example a planet is drawn in a given way, it gives a good idea of what it's about. If the artist had a potato in mind, I suspect he'd have drawn a potota blowing up.
Except that in Karin's ending the artist seems to have had an already blown up asteroid in mind. You can't really get any data from a single frame.