Set piece battle: Grand Army of the Republic vs Terminators

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
sonofccn
Starship Captain

Re: Set piece battle: Grand Army of the Republic vs Terminat

Post by sonofccn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't take it any more "seriously" than you do, really, judging by the length of your replies.
I wouldn't say that. You seem more caught up in the Terminator being "better", even now, and them "winning" while I more want a fun fight.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Now I can understand that the fun is lessened when the side you're longing for would obviously get quite a beating. ;)
Not really, and for the record I still say the Terminators are the easy favorites to win, what drains the fun is playing against a partner who doesn't seem to want to put the calories into actually "debating" but rather assumes his is the only possible conclusion.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Now, you probably know that logic, observation and evidence rank higher when it comes to such debates, right?
Meh. I presume you feel your opinion is based on "logic, observation and evidence" same as I feel mine is. So why don't we just agree to disagree and call it a day?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:I don't take it any more "seriously" than you do, really, judging by the length of your replies.
I wouldn't say that. You seem more caught up in the Terminator being "better", even now, and them "winning" while I more want a fun fight.
Yes, winning. That's the fun of it, I found a side that's better, like in football, and argued in favour of it. Because I estimated that the clones can't take it here, despite their better AT-TEs. It's a debate, you have to assume that at some point, chances are that a side could be found to be superior. That is all. So cut the hypocrisy, you asked who would win, basically, I gave you a documented answer. I had fun. I don't know what you expect aside from going in circles, somewhat, just to avoid any tough conclusion. The FEAR of the conclusion. Really, that's absurd.

Now, I wonder who honestly sucked the *fun* out of this with his "there were no legions of clone troopers at Geonosis", "battle droids have an aim as good as termies" and silly requests to prove beyond a shadow of doubt that firing a handgun is more lethal than switching on a 40W light bulb...

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Now I can understand that the fun is lessened when the side you're longing for would obviously get quite a beating. ;)
Not really, and for the record I still say the Terminators are the easy favorites to win, what drains the fun is playing against a partner who doesn't seem to want to put the calories into actually "debating" but rather assumes his is the only possible conclusion.
Oh the hell. Now it's I'm assuming and I pretend debating. Thanks, so much respect.
So yes, you're indeed sniping my entire post by painting it with one big brush that draws "hog wash" all over it. Again, thank you. Listen, stop being such a whiny sissy. My estimate is well balanced and substantiated.
If you want to debate, do it and drop the outraged riff, please.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Now, you probably know that logic, observation and evidence rank higher when it comes to such debates, right?
Meh. I presume you feel your opinion is based on "logic, observation and evidence" same as I feel mine is. So why don't we just agree to disagree and call it a day?
Hey wrinkles, I'm sorry if you're so thinly skinned and may have forgotten how debates used to be, but this one was very tame and well argued on both sides.
So let's just say that yes, I believe my post proves, in a rather detailed and lengthy fashion, that my conclusion is decidedly based on logic, observation and evidence.
If you don't want to argue with that, so be it. We disagree. ;)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:20 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:So let's just say that yes, I believe my post proves, in a rather detailed and lengthy fashion, that my conclusion is decidedly based on logic, observation and evidence.
If you don't want to argue with that, so be it. We disagree. ;)
Then let's wash our hands of it. Good day Mr. Oragahn, may you have a pleasent tommorrow.

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Seeing this from an outside observer, yet also having seen all of the movies involved, I believe that the winner will be decided by who gains air superiority. And that is up in the air right now. Given what we have seen from both sides, I think that the one who sees the other side first will be the victor. The HK-As seem to be more geared around a ground attack role while still having the ability to deal with air threats, much like the Republic gunships. If the Republic wins the air battle, then they will be able to mercilessly bombard the Terminator ground forces. Given what I saw, even the T-800s, at least those from the first films, would not be able to survive a direct missile strike and those beam blasters might be able to wreck them, too. I'm not certain about that prototype T-800 from Terminator Salvation, though, but that's a high end and I don't know if it continued into the rest of the line.

As for the ground battles, it may be much of the same, but I would give a slight edge to the HK-Ts since they seem to have treads and may be a little faster. Still, one thing that the AT-TEs have going for them is the fact that their primary cannon can shoot straight up, so they may be able to help the LAATs take down some of the HK-As, which could make all the difference even if the HK-Ts manage to destroy all of the AT-TEs in the process.

As for the fight between foot soldiers, unless the Clone Troopers have access to those rocket launchers, they'll be devastated by the T-800s. The T-800s will be able to take multiple shots from the clones while the clones will go down to single shots. They may inflict some losses if they concentrate fire or use traps, but without those, the T-800s will have the definitive edge. However, if the Clone Troopers have the rocket launchers, they could also help take down either the HK-Ts or the HK-As, which could eventually give the Republic the victory, even if all of the Clone Troopers die in the process, which they probably will, anyway.

In essence, it is all about who wins the air battle. If the Republic wins, they'll be able to eventually take down the Terminators with the aerial firepower and maneuverability since the T-800s haven't shown themselves to have any anti-aircraft weaponry and the HK-Ts haven't shown themselves to be able to deal with air threats, either. However, if the Terminators get air superiority, it becomes a rout in their favor with relatively few losses once air superiority has been established.