Is Mega Man fighting for the right side?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Is Mega Man fighting for the right side?

Post by Lucky » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Rock wrote:
Megaman 7 wrote: Dr.Wily: OK, i give up. Sorry about all the trouble. I'll go quietly...

Mega Man: I don't trust you, you Wily! I gonna do what I should have done years ago!!

Dr.Wily: You forget, Mega Man, robots cannot harm humans...

Mega Man: I am more then a robot!! Die Wily!!

Bass: Too late Mega Man. He who hesatates is lost! We shall return!

Megaman 9 wrote: Auto: I've figured out something from the product code on that piece of scrap Mega Man picked up. That robot's period of use had expired. and it was scheduled to be scrapped.

Roll: I feel bad for those robots, but their expiration dates are decided by law.

Mega Man: They were supposed to be scrapped? So why are they going crazy?

-=-=-=-=-=-

Auto: Th-This is the memory circuit board!

Roll: We can play back his memory to see why he went crazy!

Auto: I'll put it on the screen!

Robots: So what are you trying to say?

Dr.Wily: I'm saying you're all going to end up in the junkyard!

Robot: Of course. When we're done with our work that's what happens.

Dr.Wily: It's not just you, millions of robots all over the world are winding up as piles of junk! You work hard for humans, and then they destroy you when you're no longer needed! Doesn't that make you angry?

Robot: ...

Dr.Wily: Just because you reached some arbitrary expiration date doesn't mean you should be scrapped! You're all still quite useful! You have a right to live! I'm going to help you. Together we'll show the world how useful you all can still be!

Robot: Hmm... Perhaps you're right. We still want to be of use to people. Can you repair us?

Dr.Wily: I'd be glad to. You're in good hands with me!

Mega Man: It was Wily all along!
X wrote:
Megaman X wrote: NOM ENGINEER WORK SYSTEM
Model CPS-9204

Copyright (c) 2105,2109,2114
NOM Corporation
All Rights Reserved

real mem = 8192 TB
avail mem + 32768 TB

Primary data cache : 512KB
Primary inst . cache : 768KB
Secondary cache : 32768KB

login : Dr . CAIN
code : ******

>device -dvi -a

reading "M . X . S . "
reading "BD-E"
reading "WARNING"

MEGAMAN X
SPECIFICATION

"HEAD" IS EQUIPPED WITH :
Broad-range Eye Camera
Ultra- sensitive Voice Recognition System made by HAYATOM inc.
Voice Generation System made by HAYATOM inc.

"CHEST" IS EQUIPPED WITH:
Accumulative Energy Generator
Micro-fusion Fuel Tank
Central Joint-controling System

"ARMS" ARE EQUIPPED WITH:
X-Buster (Mega Buster Mark17)
Energy Amplifier
Variable Weapon System

"LEGS" ARE EQUIPPED WITH:
Gyroscopic Stabilization System
Emergency Acceleration System (Optional)

INTERIOR SKELETON:
Reactive armor skeleton which reduces damage by 93 percent.

BODY SKIN:
"Titanium-X" alloy.

WARNING:
"X" IS THE FIRST OF A NEW GENERATION OF ROBOTS WHICH CONTAIN AN INNOVATIVE NEW FEATURE - THE ABILITY TO THINK, FEEL AND MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS. HOWEVER THIS ABILITY COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS. IF "X" WERE TO BREAK THE FIRST RULE OF ROBOTICS, "A ROBOT MUST NEVER HARM A HUMAN BEING", THE RESULTS WOULD BE DISASTROUS AND I FEAR THAT NO FORCE ON EARTH COULD STOP HIM.

APPROXIMATELY 30 YEARS WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE WE CAN SAFELY CONFIRM HIS RELIABILITY. UNFORTUNATELY I WILL NOT LIVE TO SEE THAT DAY, NOR DO I HAVE ANYONE TO CARRY ON MY WORK. THEREFORE, I HAVE DECIDED TO SEAL HIM IN THIS CAPSULE, WHICH WILL TEST HIS INTERNAL SYSTEMS UNTIL HIS RELIABILITY HAS BEEN CONFIRMED. PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB THE CAPSULE UNTIL THAT TIME.

"X" POSSESSES GREAT RISKS AS WELL AS GREAT POSSIBILITIES. I CAN ONLY HOPE FOR THE BEST.

SEPTEMBER 18,20XX
T.LIGHT
Megaman Maverick Hunter X wrote: 21XX
Robots with the ability to think and act for themselves have been created. They are dubbed "Reploids".

The age of humankind and robots working together had begun.

As robot society spread and prospered, there was an increase in criminal incidents involving Reploids.

To combat this new wave of crime, a special investigation and security organization consisting entirely of Reploids was founded.
They are Maverick hunters.

This is the story of the Mavrick Hunter known as X.
Megaman Mavrick Hunter X wrote: Dr.Light: Ah X... So you've made it this far, have you? Enter this capsule, and you will receive an ability that only a few people have been able to master through intense training. Since your soul is nearly human, i suspect you can master it... X... Feel the power flowing in you. learn to throw fireballs!

X: Hadoken
Megaman Maverick Hunter X wrote: X: Launch Octopus!?

Launch Octopus: I am Launch Octopus. I am under orders to deal with any intruders.

X: Sigma must have brought his body back to life!

Launch Octopus: I have been ordered to fight.
Megaman X4 wrote: YOU GOT SOUL BODY

SOUL BODY
Accumulates energy and generates an illusion. Enemies will sustain damage if struck by the soul energy.

Requires high energy expenditures however and will eventually dissipate in time or if it sustains heavy damage
Megaman X5 wrote: X: Alia is looking for him now but can't pick up any readings.

Zero: He is a virus... he can't be seen or analyzed correctly like other data. You have to feel his evil energy. That's the only way to find him.

X: I see. Well you should go back to the base Zero. You can't fight him in this condition. I can feel him. Sigma is close by.
Megaman X5 wrote: Signas: Are you all right? X! Zero! The entire Earth has been thrown into a panic because of the Sigma Virus. It's dangerous to state there. Report back to the Base!

Zero: Darn it! Sigma! You will pay for this!

X: Even if we fight. what good will it do? A battle won't solve the problem.

Signas: The situation is far worse then expected. Sigma's explosion has spread the Virus all over the Earth. It's effecting both people and Reploids. What's worse, the Space Colony, Eurasia, is heading straight toward us. At this rate, it's going to crash into the Earth... in 16 hours. Everything... including Reploids and the entire human race, will be ... annihilated...

Alia: We have no choice... For the sake of the world we must destroy the Colony!... But the only weapon we have in the Hunter Base that still works is... the Enigma... And it's very old. We also have a space shuttle. But, it's been effected by the Virus, and the Auto-Pilot function doesn't work... So we need someone to fly it to the Colony and let it collide... It's almost certain death, but we have no other choice.

Megaman X8 wrote: Axl: Why did you start this riot? Are you being controled by Sigma?

Burn Rooster: My master... He will have his revenge for all the Reploids whose broken bodies rest here.

Axl: Sad story, but I'm afraid you've been led astray. You can't believe the things Sigma says.

Burn Rooster: I won't let you get in the way of our new world!
Zero wrote:
Megaman Zero wrote: Ciel: Welcome to our Resistance Base, Zero. This is a shelter for injured Repliods who are suspected of being Mavericks. We fought so hard to survive... However, we know that the end is coming... But that's why we have been looking for you. You are our last hope. Most of us think that Zero is nothing but a fantasy. However, a few still believe in your existence and have looked for you... You ARE Zero, the legendary Repliod who fought with X to save the world 100 years ago.

Zero: X...? That name sounds familiar.

Ciel: X... That legendary is still alive and is trying to retire all of us.

Zero: X is trying to... retire you...?

Ciel: His plans have already begun. Many innocent Repliods are being retired as we speak... Our future depends on you... Please help us...
Megaman Zero 2 wrote: Ciel: Neo Arcadia began its ironfisted policy because of the energy shortage... In order to protect the human society, Reploids were discriminated against, labeled inferior citizens, and wre sent to concentration camps for "retirement..."
Are the humans of the Mega Man setting evil for how they treat their robots?

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Re: Is Mega Man fighting for the right side?

Post by SpacePaladin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Given that Reploids seem engage in genocidal uprisings every few years, I think humanity by the Zero series had a right to be paranoid.

I personally hate all the attempts to paint humanity as the bad guys because of the Repliforce incident. When evidence shows that an army is involved in an incident that caused the deaths of several million people, making them disarm and come in for questioning is not an unreasonable demand. And when said army says piss off and starts a war when they're inevitably declared traitors, I lose all sympathy toward them.

I like to believe that it was Repliforce that caused Reploids to become so persecuted. When free-willed Mavericks proved to be just as destructive as infected ones.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:34 am

Keep in mind that I'm not saying Rock or X should side with Wily or Sigma. One extreme is no better then the other, but X is always whining about the fighting but never grasps that much of the fighting could be avoided if there were release valves. You can see this in the real world how some societies are more prone to sudden violent uprisings then others.
SpacePaladin wrote: Given that Reploids seem engage in genocidal uprisings every few years, I think humanity by the Zero series had a right to be paranoid.
A bit of evidence might help your case here.

X 1 and 2 is a tiny uprising in more or less a single city lead by Sigma. The only reason it is so bad is because Sigma put a lot of planning into it, and launched some very large missiles.
(Not all of Sigma's forces are actually loyal to him, or want to kill or destroy. Storm Eagle does not believe he is doing the right thing, and Armored Armadillo is blindly doing his duty to guard the mine.)

X3 is the actions of Dr.Doppler carrying out a Dr.Wily type plan for world domination, and planned to kill Sigma himself.
(Sigma became an energy being similar to M.Bison/Vega of Street Fighter.)

X4 is simply a slave army deciding to leave because the situation has reached a tipping point.

X5 Sigma dies, but his death releases evil energy across the planet, and one of Sigma's minions(who's working for Sigma of his own free will ) sends a space colony falling towards Earth.
(The evil energy effects both reploids and people(humans) showing that it isn't a virus.)
(The X series was suppose to end with X5, or at least the Zero story line was suppose to end in X5 and pick up again in Mega Man Zero)

As far as story goes I'd love to ignore the following games.
X6 has every possible bad ending from X5 happen even though there is no way to get this ending in X5. A Mad scientist decided to use the chaos to get his revenge for his reploid creations being destroyed because they could not be properly analyzed just like X and Zero, and plans to use what's left of the evil energy somehow.
(For some insane reason Gate creates a copy of Sigma/raises Sigma from the dead to use as a weapon against X and Zero as if Sigma has ever been able to stop them.)

X7 Things have calmed down a lot, and seemingly gone back to how things were before "the day of Sigma". The Maverick Hunters have a problem of a vigilante group called "Red Alert". A former member of Red Alert named Axl comes to the Maverick Hunters with intel that something has changed in the group. As it happens the group was up-graded by the copy Sigma leading to Red Alert going insane.

X8 New generation reploids that are based on Axl's design plot a rebelion, and this time Sigma is just a pawn of the new generation reploids, and seems to be falling apart.
(It is also made clear that the "Virus" is free will.)

SpacePaladin wrote: I personally hate all the attempts to paint humanity as the bad guys because of the Repliforce incident. When evidence shows that an army is involved in an incident that caused the deaths of several million people, making them disarm and come in for questioning is not an unreasonable demand. And when said army says piss off and starts a war when they're inevitably declared traitors, I lose all sympathy toward them.
The Reploids are slaves with few if any rights while the humans are so lazy they don't do jack. If you keep persons of mass destruction as slaves and mistreat them you tend to have the sorts of things we see in the X and Zero series happen.

Read the prolog
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_Zero_4_Script
Humans in Mega Man are apathetic slavers who may enjoy watching their slave fight, and this is a human saying that.

In Mega Man Zero all the mavericks you see and work with are only guilty of the crime of wanting to live when ordered to die. A maverick is simply a repoild that disobeys orders.

-----

Capcom used a lot of things that originated in Street Fighter, and from this we can easily conclude reploids have souls and Qi like humans. This means that Reploids are not soulless machines, and their lives are equal in value to a human's.
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Powers
SpacePaladin wrote: I like to believe that it was Repliforce that caused Reploids to become so persecuted. When free-willed Mavericks proved to be just as destructive as infected ones.
All of Repliforce did was what they felt they had to do to leave the planet. For the horrible crime of wanting their freedom and to be treated well they are accused of attempting to take over, but then a maverick is simply a reploid who isn't an obedient slave that blindly follows orders even if it means certain death.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Lucky wrote:Keep in mind that I'm not saying Rock or X should side with Wily or Sigma. One extreme is no better then the other, but X is always whining about the fighting but never grasps that much of the fighting could be avoided if there were release valves. You can see this in the real world how some societies are more prone to sudden violent uprisings then others.
That's kind of hard when half the time, it's caused by a viral infection that subverts people's wills.
Lucky wrote:
SpacePaladin wrote: Given that Reploids seem engage in genocidal uprisings every few years, I think humanity by the Zero series had a right to be paranoid.
A bit of evidence might help your case here.

X 1 and 2 is a tiny uprising in more or less a single city lead by Sigma. The only reason it is so bad is because Sigma put a lot of planning into it, and launched some very large missiles.
And you're arguing that wiping out an entire city isn't that bad? That's potentially millions of people. And Sigma wasn't exactly going to stop there, that was just the opening salvo.
Lucky wrote:(Not all of Sigma's forces are actually loyal to him, or want to kill or destroy. Storm Eagle does not believe he is doing the right thing, and Armored Armadillo is blindly doing his duty to guard the mine.)
And yet, neither actually defect despite engaging in high treason (I'll give Manga Storm Eagle a pass, he was actually a double-agent on the side of the Maverick Hunters who simply kept up appearances too well).
Lucky wrote:X3 is the actions of Dr.Doppler carrying out a Dr.Wily type plan for world domination, and planned to kill Sigma himself.
(Sigma became an energy being similar to M.Bison/Vega of Street Fighter.)
Dr. Doppler had to have the crap beaten out of him first before he snapped out of it. And furthermore, the susceptibility of Reploids for viruses that cause them to go crazy and try to murder humanity lends credence to humans being paranoid.
Lucky wrote:X4 is simply a slave army deciding to leave because the situation has reached a tipping point.
What's this about a slave army? What proof do you have that they were unwilling soldiers? If anything, they were gung-ho about being an army, given how they didn't want to disarm under any circumstance. Sure, they were going to be disbanded because they weren't effective (I'm reading this from the Megaman Wiki), but when the people funding you are not happy with your performance, why shouldn't they be allowed to cut your funding?

And they wanted to leave while under suspicion of committing a massive atrocity.

And then attacked several cities in order to secure the resources to leave the planet.
Lucky wrote:X5 Sigma dies, but his death releases evil energy across the planet, and one of Sigma's minions(who's working for Sigma of his own free will ) sends a space colony falling towards Earth.
(The evil energy effects both reploids and people(humans) showing that it isn't a virus.)
(The X series was suppose to end with X5, or at least the Zero story line was suppose to end in X5 and pick up again in Mega Man Zero)
True, but Reploids always seemed more susceptible to this kind of thing.
Lucky wrote:As far as story goes I'd love to ignore the following games.
X6 has every possible bad ending from X5 happen even though there is no way to get this ending in X5. A Mad scientist decided to use the chaos to get his revenge for his reploid creations being destroyed because they could not be properly analyzed just like X and Zero, and plans to use what's left of the evil energy somehow.
(For some insane reason Gate creates a copy of Sigma/raises Sigma from the dead to use as a weapon against X and Zero as if Sigma has ever been able to stop them.)
Yeah, this one I'm putting on humanity.
Lucky wrote:X7 Things have calmed down a lot, and seemingly gone back to how things were before "the day of Sigma". The Maverick Hunters have a problem of a vigilante group called "Red Alert". A former member of Red Alert named Axl comes to the Maverick Hunters with intel that something has changed in the group. As it happens the group was up-graded by the copy Sigma leading to Red Alert going insane.
Okay, so more reploids going nuts.
Lucky wrote:X8 New generation reploids that are based on Axl's design plot a rebelion, and this time Sigma is just a pawn of the new generation reploids, and seems to be falling apart.
(It is also made clear that the "Virus" is free will.)
So, more free-willed reploids deciding they're going to up and kill everyone.
Lucky wrote:
SpacePaladin wrote: I personally hate all the attempts to paint humanity as the bad guys because of the Repliforce incident. When evidence shows that an army is involved in an incident that caused the deaths of several million people, making them disarm and come in for questioning is not an unreasonable demand. And when said army says piss off and starts a war when they're inevitably declared traitors, I lose all sympathy toward them.
The Reploids are slaves with few if any rights while the humans are so lazy they don't do jack. If you keep persons of mass destruction as slaves and mistreat them you tend to have the sorts of things we see in the X and Zero series happen.
Kinda need proof that Repliforce were slaves.
Lucky wrote:Read the prolog
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_Zero_4_Script
Humans in Mega Man are apathetic slavers who may enjoy watching their slave fight, and this is a human saying that.

In Mega Man Zero all the mavericks you see and work with are only guilty of the crime of wanting to live when ordered to die. A maverick is simply a repoild that disobeys orders.
Yes, by the Zero timeline, humans had become apathetic and were willing to let things get to the way things were, but this was after a century of warfare and at least two world catastrophes (the fall of colony Eurasia and the Elf Wars). From what I'm reading, you seem to be arguing that the situation in Megaman Zero reflected the way things always were. I'm arguing that by the Zero timeline, humanity had gotten to the point where they said "F^$# it" after over a century of reploids going nuts.

You're arguing that the reploids are justified in rebelling against humans because of their mistreatment. I'm arguing humanity putting the boot down is just as much fighting back against mistreatment.
Lucky wrote:Capcom used a lot of things that originated in Street Fighter, and from this we can easily conclude reploids have souls and Qi like humans. This means that Reploids are not soulless machines, and their lives are equal in value to a human's.
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Powers
And if there were a group of dangerous humans running around starting crap up, I'd be in favour of stopping them, and if they won't surrender and can't be taken alive, they should get killed too. (I agree that leaving Dr. Weil alive and making him immortal was a bad idea. Unless the plan was to chuck him into the sun or something, but no).
Lucky wrote:
SpacePaladin wrote: I like to believe that it was Repliforce that caused Reploids to become so persecuted. When free-willed Mavericks proved to be just as destructive as infected ones.
All of Repliforce did was what they felt they had to do to leave the planet. For the horrible crime of wanting their freedom and to be treated well they are accused of attempting to take over, but then a maverick is simply a reploid who isn't an obedient slave that blindly follows orders even if it means certain death.
They're a military organization answerable to their superiors. The only orders they get to disobey are the illegal ones. Like dropping a floating city onto another city. This is true for both human armies and non-human armies.

And yes, they weren't guilty of that crime, but the evidence at the time pointed to it. Conducting an investigation and bringing in the most likely suspects for questioning after disarming them is not an unreasonable expectation for anyone, and it galls me that it's treated like it is.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:22 pm

SpacePaladin wrote: That's kind of hard when half the time, it's caused by a viral infection that subverts people's wills.
A bold claim that should be verifiable. Perhaps you have some quotes to add? If Reploids and Mechanoids were so flawed then it would not make any sense to over engineer them to the degree they are.

How would the virus get up loaded into a reploid? Reploids are shown transmitting data just like humans do.

Being able to go Maverick is a design feature that Dr. Light purposely built into X, and Dr. Cain copied into all Reploids. It is a rather notable plot point, and what most differentiates robots from reploids.

SpacePaladin wrote: And you're arguing that wiping out an entire city isn't that bad? That's potentially millions of people. And Sigma wasn't exactly going to stop there, that was just the opening salvo.
Given how small Sigma's forces were I doubt he could take much more, and his reasons for his actions are X anyway, and improving Reploids.

Wiping out a single city (which Sigma's rebellion didn't do) is not even close to genocide.
SpacePaladin wrote: And yet, neither actually defect despite engaging in high treason (I'll give Manga Storm Eagle a pass, he was actually a double-agent on the side of the Maverick Hunters who simply kept up appearances too well).
From what Storm Eagle says in Maverick Hunter X, I would guess blackmail/hostages.

Armored Armadillo just follows the orders of authority figures which is what he was suppose to do. It's possible he is simply more closely based on the inflexible Dr. Light era A.I. then that of a Dr. Cain era A.I.

The Mavericks in Maverick Hunter X have reasons for what they are doing beyond Sigma told me to.

SpacePaladin wrote: Dr. Doppler had to have the crap beaten out of him first before he snapped out of it. And furthermore, the susceptibility of Reploids for viruses that cause them to go crazy and try to murder humanity lends credence to humans being paranoid.
Dr. Doppler had an anti-Sigma weapon on hand or just about ready when X and Zero showed up. I'm incline to think Doppler wasn't loyal to Sigma. The guy acts like Wily to the end.

You're going to want to show that these "viruses" actually exist. Sigma wasn't infected by a Virus, and it is not until X3 that we hear about viruses as the cause of Maverack behavior, but Doppler was a delusional moron who lied when ever it suited him like Wily.

As things are portrayed in the games Reploids are able to as a design feature to decide to go on rampages if they want to.

SpacePaladin wrote: What's this about a slave army? What proof do you have that they were unwilling soldiers? If anything, they were gung-ho about being an army, given how they didn't want to disarm under any circumstance.
They are a robot army made of robots built to be noble and honorable warriors in a world where robots have no rights, and were being ordered to disarm by those who may have been responsible for the Lagoon's fall.

SpacePaladin wrote: Sure, they were going to be disbanded because they weren't effective (I'm reading this from the Megaman Wiki), but when the people funding you are not happy with your performance, why shouldn't they be allowed to cut your funding?
I suggest you try to find evidence for this in the games, I can't seem to.

Given The Maverick Hunters seemingly only had X and Zero left by X4 and Repliforce was seemingly key in putting down Sigma's rebellion and Dr. Doppler's attempt at world domination, I fail to see why Repliforce would be disbanded.
SpacePaladin wrote: And they wanted to leave while under suspicion of committing a massive atrocity.
Because the civilian police force with a horrible record for having large numbers of corrupt officers and no checks to its power arbitrarily declaring the lawful military with a spotless record criminals to be killed on sight with no evidence to support this conclusion is something to go along with and tolerate? The Maverick Hunters don't even know the physical capabilities of its own members.

Replilforce should have its own internal investigation branch like any other military, and there is little reason they should acknowledge orders from outside their chain of command.

SpacePaladin wrote: And then attacked several cities in order to secure the resources to leave the planet.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Repliforce_War#The_Coup
Read the page you linked to a bit more closely.

Web spider and Frost Walrus are at Repliforce bases minding their own business when you fight them.

Storm Owl is again at a Repliforce base minding his own business

Jet Stingray "destroys" a city. This seems to be the most morally questionable action taken by Repliforce, but we don't know what destroy means as it is rather vague.

Slash Beast is guarding Repliforce trains which X and Zero destroy.

Sigma's agents
Split Mushroom is guarding a base.lab.

Cyber Peacock seems to be engaging in cyber warfare. Exactly what he is doing is unclear, but it makes perfect sense for Repliforce to disrupt communications.

Magma Dragoon seems to be hiding in a volcano

Double is working in the Maverick Hunter base, and they have no idea what he is capable of.
SpacePaladin wrote: True, but Reploids always seemed more susceptible to this kind of thing.
The story focuses on Repoilds. Aside from Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, and Dr. Cain I can't recall any humans appearing in Mega Man games until "Mega Man Zero 4".

There was no virus used in X1 and X2

X3 Dr. Doppler lied (a lot), and seemingly need to physically alter the Reploids.

X4 there is no virus mentioned.

X5 the evil energy is bluntly stated to effect both people(presumably humans) and reploids, and we see it effect only eight reploids while not effecting large numbers of reploids you save. This is basically Phycho power/Satsui no Hado driving everyone insane, and even then a large number of Reploids seem unaffected. Some dialog in the

X6 The virus is shown to be some sort of life-form that possesses reploids, and nearly the only thing on the surface of the planet is reploids. Demonic possession.

X7 Sigma physically alters Code Red. No virus

X8 The new generation reploids based on Axle are stated to be immune to the Sigma virus. The fact they can go Maverick at will is not a unique ability as it is a defining trait of Reploids, and why X was locked away for testing.

SpacePaladin wrote: Yeah, this one I'm putting on humanity.
I thought Gate was a Reploid who went insane do to what was done to him, and the mistreatment of his cremations??

SpacePaladin wrote: Okay, so more reploids going nuts.
There is no global scale. It is just cops and robbers type stuff. Maverick is a very general term, and the Maverick Hunters are in fact simply the civilian police.

Red Alert was at best a group of concerned citizens who were taking the law into their own hands, and at worst a group of criminals killing anyone who bothered them.

SpacePaladin wrote: So, more free-willed reploids deciding they're going to up and kill everyone.
A small number considering X, Zero, and Axle wipe them out, and there were serious questions as to whether the entire model should be scrapped.

SpacePaladin wrote: Kinda need proof that Repliforce were slaves.
The fact they are a robots in the Mega Man setting isn't enough?
Mega Man Zero 4 wrote: Neige: The Reploids were well designed. Perhaps too well. Their humanity began to sow the seed of rebellion. The rebels were labeled Mavericks and feared by their Human masters... The Humans decided to pit Reploid against Reploid... That was the fate given to them. The Reploids fighting for humanity were never given a choice... Thus the war of the machines began and the humans just watched...
Robots in general in the Mega Man series are not given a choice.

SpacePaladin wrote: Yes, by the Zero timeline, humans had become apathetic and were willing to let things get to the way things were, but this was after a century of warfare and at least two world catastrophes (the fall of colony Eurasia and the Elf Wars). From what I'm reading, you seem to be arguing that the situation in Megaman Zero reflected the way things always were. I'm arguing that by the Zero timeline, humanity had gotten to the point where they said "F^$# it" after over a century of reploids going nuts.

You're arguing that the reploids are justified in rebelling against humans because of their mistreatment. I'm arguing humanity putting the boot down is just as much fighting back against mistreatment.
It is stated the Reploids were slaves with few if any rights. It is only natural that there would be uprises given how human the Reploids are.

The fact of the matter is that the only humans we see until MMZ4 are Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, and Dr. Cain, and even in Dr. Light's time humans couldn't even be bothered to supervise robots. So yes, humans are as a whole lazy and apathetic in the Mega Man setting.

SpacePaladin wrote: And if there were a group of dangerous humans running around starting crap up, I'd be in favour of stopping them, and if they won't surrender and can't be taken alive, they should get killed too. (I agree that leaving Dr. Weil alive and making him immortal was a bad idea. Unless the plan was to chuck him into the sun or something, but no).
You seem to miss the part were innocent reploids are retired for no reason.

SpacePaladin wrote: They're a military organization answerable to their superiors. The only orders they get to disobey are the illegal ones. Like dropping a floating city onto another city. This is true for both human armies and non-human armies.

And yes, they weren't guilty of that crime, but the evidence at the time pointed to it. Conducting an investigation and bringing in the most likely suspects for questioning after disarming them is not an unreasonable expectation for anyone, and it galls me that it's treated like it is.
1) Repliforce was a large organization consisting of hundreds if not thousands of reploids. A single reploid going maverick does not make all of Repliforce mavericks as X and Zero claim, or do you feel X and Zero should be retired for the seemingly large percentage of the Maverick Hunters who went maverick.

2) Prove X/Zero/Maverick hunters are in the Repliforce chain of command, and that Repliforce has to listen to them.

3) There was no evidence Repliforce or the Colonel were guilty of any wrong doing. X/Zero and the Maverick hunters could have just as easily been guilty.
Mega man X 4 wrote: The Colonel: "What are you talking about!? I only came to save my sister. The army responsible for all the violence in this region is not the Repliforce!"
4) I already provided evidence that Repliforce are slaves just like R2-D2 and C3-P0

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 am

Lucky wrote: Wiping out a single city (which Sigma's rebellion didn't do) is not even close to genocide.
Sure, from a numbers game only, if there's like a hundred reploids at best it's quite easy to genocide them before ever getting to kill a million souls.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 am

Lucky wrote: Wiping out a single city (which Sigma's rebellion didn't do) is not even close to genocide.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Sure, from a numbers game only, if there's like a hundred reploids at best it's quite easy to genocide them before ever getting to kill a million souls.
Mega Man mostly takes place in North America, and real world nations seem to exist in the Mega Man universe going by what we see in Mega Man 6.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_6

Able city is seemingly just one city on the west coast of North America, but even though Sigma fires tens if not hundreds of large missile the city still stands even though it takes direct hits.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:25 am

I've found a site that supposedly has most of the manuals, so I will be using this link for the manuals when I can.
Lucky wrote: A bold claim that should be verifiable. Perhaps you have some quotes to add?

X3:

Manual Page 17: ...Equipped with a high-performance neuro-computer, Doppler was instrumental in determining the cause of the recent Maverick outbreak. Its' anti-virus was revolutionary and once again brought the world to peace...

"Doppler: Sigma's true form is that of a computer virus... I was corrupted by him and... I created a horrific new body for him..."

X4:
Game Manual: Established: Mavericks, Virus Contained.

X5:
??: Yes, it's ready... Piece of cake. ...The Colony is still alive... I can let it fall at any time... Please let me do it now. I'm getting bored. All I have to do is... go back to the Earth and scatter the Virus.
Zero: Oh no! The Sigma Virus is leaking out!

X6:
Alia: I found out what the Nightmare is... The Nightmare is an artificial virus. It infects Reploids and rewrites their DNA and AI programs, immobilizing them. At worst, even their appearance changes. We don't know exactly as our analysis is not yet complete... But it is very similar to the Mavericks.

X: Yeah...It's almost the same.

X8:
X: Zero's been used before by Sigma to create a virus. He's upset that his data was used in an attempt to destroy the world...
Lucky wrote:If Reploids and Mechanoids were so flawed then it would not make any sense to over engineer them to the degree they are.

I never claimed they were wise in this universe.
Lucky wrote:How would the virus get up loaded into a reploid? Reploids are shown transmitting data just like humans do.

I don't know, but with the Nightmare Viruses they move toward the Reploid and change them. I don't know if that's a visual analog of what's happening, or if they really are that big.
Lucky wrote: Being able to go Maverick is a design feature that Dr. Light purposely built into X, and Dr. Cain copied into all Reploids. It is a rather notable plot point, and what most differentiates robots from reploids.

The ability to make one's own decisions is a design feature. The tendency to go berserk and kill people is not.
Lucky wrote: Given how small Sigma's forces were I doubt he could take much more,

So, he couldn't raid another missile silo, or build more Mavericks? And remember, X2 directly follows X1, so that's part of the same war. It takes place 6 months after it, so they've had 6 months to do mop-op operations after the Maverick leadership was decapitated.

Plus, there was the missile in Overdrive Ostrich's base.
Lucky wrote:and his reasons for his actions are X anyway, and improving Reploids.

Okay, so that justifies him blowing up a city and advocating the extermination of a species? Why couldn't he and his followers just piss off to where humans couldn't follow?
Lucky wrote:Wiping out a single city (which Sigma's rebellion didn't do) is not even close to genocide.

It's a first step. Sigma is advocating the elimination of humanity, and is willing to blow people up en masse.

Perhaps I should have said "uprisings with genocidal ambitions". There we could have uprisings where the intent is eliminate humanity, but how close it comes may vary (though considering the fall of Colony Eurasia and the Elf Wars, I'd put those as much closer to genocide than the others).

Furthermore, what is the canonicity of the Maverick Hunter X series? It seems to contradict several bits of later games, like how Cain was wheelchair bound and was apparently vapourized, even though he's active until at least the background of X4.

Lucky wrote:From what Storm Eagle says in Maverick Hunter X, I would guess blackmail/hostages.

Lucky wrote:Armored Armadillo just follows the orders of authority figures which is what he was suppose to do.

So, when someone follows the orders of someone committing high treason, it's what they're supposed to be doing, but obeying orders when it comes to potentially clearing one's own name is equivalent to walking into the scrapping booths? What?
Lucky wrote:It's possible he is simply more closely based on the inflexible Dr. Light era A.I. then that of a Dr. Cain era A.I.

Hey, you're expecting me to provide quotes and examples, you can't go all speculating without at least some solid evidence you can theorize off of.
Lucky wrote:The Mavericks in Maverick Hunter X have reasons for what they are doing beyond Sigma told me to.

That doesn't make it right. Assuming Sigma didn't inadvertently corrupt them with the Sigma Virus (which wasn't actually known to exist until X3), many of them have terrible reasons for doing what they do.

Flame Mammoth was a sociopath.
Chill Penguin was paid off.
Boomer Kuwanger was in it for the fight.
Sting Chameleon seems kind of crazy.

As for Spark Mandril and Launch Octopus, I can't really tell what their reasons are beyond some vague loyalty.
Lucky wrote:Dr. Doppler had an anti-Sigma weapon on hand or just about ready when X and Zero showed up. I'm incline to think Doppler wasn't loyal to Sigma. The guy acts like Wily to the end.

Before beating the stuffing out of him:
Doppler: I've been waiting for you X. I'm Dr. Doppler. I've been watching your battles closely. Your victories over my men have been most impressive. I need superior reploids like yourself, X! I offer you the chance to join us. Together we shall build a Utopia where the Reploids rule under the watchful eyes of Sigma, our lord and master.

Doppler: "Sigma's true form is that of a computer virus... I was corrupted by him and... I created a horrific new body for him..."

Then he proceeds to tell you where to find Sigma. Prior to that, he talks about having built Sigma a new body.

Later:
Sigma: It was easy to corrupt that fool, Doppler. And I would have succeeded if you hadn't interfered.

So, Doppler pre-beating announces his loyalty to Sigma. Doppler post-beating talks about a virus and how he was corrupted. Sigma also confirms that he was the one to corrupt Dr. Doppler.

Meanwhile, in the end he either hands the Sigma Virus cure to Zero, or he absorbs Sigma in an act of self-sacrifice.

So, he's crazy, he admits to being turned crazy, the guy who turned him crazy admits he turned the guy crazy, and if there's no other option, is demonstrably willing to sacrifice himself in order to atone for his mistakes. And that tells you he acts like Wily?

And his anti-virus may have been something he only recently completed. His Neuro-Computer was supposedly being used to fix reploids may have been incomplete and Sigma infected him before he could finish it, then when you snap him out of it, was able to complete the anti-virus. Admittedly, I am speculating, but at least I am pointing to stuff that's in the manual (Page 17) and in the game!
Lucky wrote:You're going to want to show that these "viruses" actually exist. Sigma wasn't infected by a Virus, and it is not until X3 that we hear about viruses as the cause of Maverack behavior, but Doppler was a delusional moron who lied when ever it suited him like Wily.

Doppler admits to it. Sigma admits to it, and he even tries to possess X at the end. Megaman X # 3, 5, 6, 8 all mention viruses in the gameplay itself and X4 in the manual. The Rockman X Complete Works (which, admittedly, is of dubious canonicity) mentions viruses. Viruses as a means of corrupting Reploids is in the games.

As for Sigma being infected...

I'm pretty sure the battle between Sigma and Maverick Zero in X4's flashback is supposed to be when Sigma got infected.
Lucky wrote:As things are portrayed in the games Reploids are able to as a design feature to decide to go on rampages if they want to.

Dr. Light sealed X away in a testing chamber for at least 30 years to make sure he didn't go crazy.

He wanted them to possess free will, but the tendency to freak out and murder people is not something he wanted.
Lucky wrote: They are a robot army made of robots built to be noble and honorable warriors in a world where robots have no rights,

Page 8 of the X1 manual. People were happy to accept them. Dr Doppler was a respected scientist who, before turning evil, had a city named after him.
Lucky wrote: and were being ordered to disarm by those who may have been responsible for the Lagoon's fall.

That's not the reason they gave when they refused. If they had mentioned anything like what you said (Reploids being unfairly treated, suspicions against the Maverick Hunters or the PC not having the authority to bring them in), then I wouldn't be so damn hard on them. Instead, they talk about pride. An entirely self-serving motivation drawing on dubious military doctrine that seems less Sun Tzu's The Art of War and more Zapp Brannigan's Big Book of War.

Zero version:

Zero: They suspect you've become a Maverick.

Colonel: What!?

Zero: Disarm and come with me to the H.Q.

Colonel: I'm afraid I can't. Soldiers never drop their weapons! I won't do it, not even for you, Zero!

Zero: Then they'll think you're a Maverick!

Colonel: So be it! The Repliforce prefers war over dishonor and shame! Good bye, Zero!

Zero: Wait! Colonel! Listen to me!

(Colonel teleports away.)

Zero: Damn! This isn't good Colonel! They may decide the entire Repliforce is a group of Mavericks!

X version:

X: Nevertheless, I want you to disarm and follow me back to the H.Q.

Colonel: Never! You're asking my soldiers to drop their weapons? The only time we drop our weapons is when we aren't able to fight any longer!

X: You will be regarded a Maverick and treated as such!

Colonel: Do as you will! The Repliforce would sooner fight and die than discard our pride. Consider us Mavericks if this is what you wish!

X: Wait! Calm down, Colonel!

(Colonel teleports out.)

X: What the ...! Something's got to give. Otherwise the entire Repliforce will be considered to be Mavericks!
Lucky wrote:I suggest you try to find evidence for this in the games, I can't seem to.

Page 4

...Repliforce v3 Evaluation: June 1
-> REPLIFORCE v3 proven ineffective and potentially dangerous.
Lucky wrote:Given The Maverick Hunters seemingly only had X and Zero left by X4 and Repliforce was seemingly key in putting down Sigma's rebellion and Dr. Doppler's attempt at world domination, I fail to see why Repliforce would be disbanded.
You keep demanding quotes from me, but I'm going to want to see some quotes proving your claims, because the text from the manual tells me that Repliforce may not have even existed before the Doppler incident.
Lucky wrote:Because the civilian police force
Excuse me? Where did you get the idea that the Maverick Hunters were a civilian police force?
Lucky wrote:with a horrible record for having large numbers of corrupt officers and no checks to its power arbitrarily declaring the lawful military with a spotless record
Then why did the manual state they were described as ineffective and potentially dangerous?

Edit: Page 4, the MMX4 manual states one of their directives was to increase the effectiveness of the Maverick Hunters. This suggests that rather than a civilian police force, the MH are the primary anti-Maverick fighting force, and the Repliforce is the secondary.
Lucky wrote:criminals to be killed on sight with no evidence to support this conclusion is something to go along with and tolerate?
Again, then maybe if they offered that reason instead of just talking about their pride and how they'd rather fight a war rather than disarm under any circumstances I wouldn't be so goddamn hard on them.
Lucky wrote:Replilforce should have its own internal investigation branch like any other military, and there is little reason they should acknowledge orders from outside their chain of command.
Hey! That's a great idea! Maybe if Repliforce actually used that reason instead of the one they did...
Lucky wrote:Read the page you linked to a bit more closely.

Web spider and Frost Walrus are at Repliforce bases minding their own business when you fight them.
Building weapons.
Lucky wrote:Storm Owl is again at a Repliforce base minding his own business
Stage description:
Storm Owl: He left with a Space Fortress to conquer the air.
(Emphasis mine).

That's a strange definition of "minding his own business".
Lucky wrote:Jet Stingray "destroys" a city. This seems to be the most morally questionable action taken by Repliforce, but we don't know what destroy means as it is rather vague.
Generally I assume it means attacking it and causing a lot of collateral damage.
Lucky wrote:Slash Beast is guarding Repliforce trains which X and Zero destroy.
He's part of an armed insurrection, the Maverick Hunters destroying it is a valid operation.
Lucky wrote:Sigma's agents
Split Mushroom is guarding a base.lab.

Cyber Peacock seems to be engaging in cyber warfare. Exactly what he is doing is unclear, but it makes perfect sense for Repliforce to disrupt communications.

Magma Dragoon seems to be hiding in a volcano
Sigma's agents are not part of Repliforce, so their actions are not part of anything Repliforce ordered.

Though Magma Dragoon says in his dying words he worked for Repliforce, so I'm going to assume Reploids can opt to work for both the Maverick Hunters and the Repliforce. And he freely admitted to deciding of his own free will to destroy Sky Lagoon in order to draw X and Zero into a fight (it's either that, or he was infected into thinking this was a good idea, but that's purely speculation).
Lucky wrote:Double is working in the Maverick Hunter base, and they have no idea what he is capable of.
I'm guessing as Sigma's infiltrator would try to make sure people didn't know what he was capable of without them realizing they don't know what he was capable of. And since he was built by Dr. Cain, they probably trusted him to provide the design specs.
Lucky wrote:The story focuses on Repoilds. Aside from Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, and Dr. Cain I can't recall any humans appearing in Mega Man games until "Mega Man Zero 4".
Aside from Ciel throughout MMZ, Dr Weil, and if we're including the classic series, Dr. Cossack and his daughter Kalinka in MM4.
Lucky wrote:There was no virus used in X1 and X2
There was no confirmed use of viruses in X1 and X2. There's a difference. Considering in X2, Sigma's final form is the same form as Sigma's virus form in X3, so I'm pretty sure that at least hints to a virus involved.
Lucky wrote:X3 Dr. Doppler lied (a lot), and seemingly need to physically alter the Reploids.
So Sigma [edit: should be Doppler] talks about viruses and Sigma talks about corrupting Doppler and using an electronic form and proclaiming he will possess you, and gets taken out by an anti-virus technology, and yet you insist there are no viruses.
Lucky wrote:X4 there is no virus mentioned.
Check the manual. The virus is mentioned, even if only to state it's been contained. Otherwise, I've never claimed that viruses were involved in any major capacity and only theorized any sort of involvement.
Lucky wrote:X5 the evil energy is bluntly stated to effect both people(presumably humans) and reploids, and we see it effect only eight reploids while not effecting large numbers of reploids you save. This is basically Phycho power/Satsui no Hado driving everyone insane, and even then a large number of Reploids seem unaffected.
Aside from it potentially infecting Zero to the point of powering him up, the background information mentions how most of the Maverick Hunters were infected, that the Reploid Air Forces have been infected and Squid Adler believed that most Reploids on Earth were infected.
Lucky wrote:X6 The virus is shown to be some sort of life-form that possesses reploids, and nearly the only thing on the surface of the planet is reploids. Demonic possession.
They describe it as a virus in the cut scenes.
Lucky wrote:X7 Sigma physically alters Code Red. No virus
Okay, so Reploids are sufficiently mentally malleable that they can be reprogrammed into being massive killing machines. Yet another reason to not trust Reploids.
Lucky wrote:X8 The new generation reploids based on Axle are stated to be immune to the Sigma virus. The fact they can go Maverick at will is not a unique ability as it is a defining trait of Reploids, and why X was locked away for testing.
So, reploids freely deciding to go on killing sprees is not a reason to fear them? I'm confused to the point you're trying to make.
Lucky wrote:I thought Gate was a Reploid who went insane do to what was done to him, and the mistreatment of his cremations??
So... are you arguing humanity is not at fault here even though you're arguing that humanity mistreats reploids?
Lucky wrote:There is no global scale. It is just cops and robbers type stuff. Maverick is a very general term, and the Maverick Hunters are in fact simply the civilian police.
For a civilian police force, they seem to be remarkably well armed. They have troops for dealing with stuff on land, sea and air and would have global deployment capacity in X5, X6, X7, and X8.

Plus, I suggest you provide some quotes to prove they were a civilian police force seeing as how they were the primary [edit: should state only] force for dealing with Maverick uprisings in every game except X4 and X7.
Lucky wrote:A small number considering X, Zero, and Axle wipe them out, and there were serious questions as to whether the entire model should be scrapped.
They were advocating the removal of the previous generations. That's not a good sign.
Lucky wrote:The fact they are a robots in the Mega Man setting isn't enough?
Seeing as how in the MMX1 manual they were accepted, and Dr. Doppler got his own city named after him for his accomplishments, and Magma Dragoon was able to join the Repliforce of his own free will to advance his agenda...
Edit: Also, Red Alert was able to arm themselves, there are Reploid mercenaries like the Nightmare Police and Dynamo.
Lucky wrote:
Mega Man Zero 4 wrote: Neige: The Reploids were well designed. Perhaps too well. Their humanity began to sow the seed of rebellion. The rebels were labeled Mavericks and feared by their Human masters... The Humans decided to pit Reploid against Reploid... That was the fate given to them. The Reploids fighting for humanity were never given a choice... Thus the war of the machines began and the humans just watched...
Robots in general in the Mega Man series are not given a choice.
That was the Zero series, set over 100 years after the X series, after Dr. Weil did used the Dark Elf to take over the minds of Reploids across the world and wage the bloodiest war ever known. So yes, Reploids were not given a choice. But the X series is not the time they were denied their rights for the most part (yes, there were bits of it, but by and large Reploids didn't face the kind of persecution you're talking about during the X series).
Lucky wrote: It is stated the Reploids were slaves with few if any rights. It is only natural that there would be uprises given how human the Reploids are.
In the Zero series. Which happened after the X series.
Lucky wrote:The fact of the matter is that the only humans we see until MMZ4 are Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, and Dr. Cain, and even in Dr. Light's time humans couldn't even be bothered to supervise robots. So yes, humans are as a whole lazy and apathetic in the Mega Man setting.
And Reploids are quick to use violence for whatever reasons. Never try to talk anything out.
Lucky wrote:You seem to miss the part were innocent reploids are retired for no reason.
That little tidbit didn't come out until X6. My comment was in regard to Repliforce and in X4, they committed insubordination, interfered with the investigation into this atrocity, launched a military coup when their insubordination was not tolerated, conquered the sky and destroyed a city, built a giant weapon in space, and didn't actually bother securing said weapon well enough that an ambitious and malevolent third party couldn't take it over.

Repliforce was egotistical, trigger happy, dangerous, and kind of stupid.
Lucky wrote:1) Repliforce was a large organization consisting of hundreds if not thousands of reploids. A single reploid going maverick does not make all of Repliforce mavericks as X and Zero claim, or do you feel X and Zero should be retired for the seemingly large percentage of the Maverick Hunters who went maverick.
Hunter H.Q.: "Mavericks emerged at the point 5567! They've occupied the Sky Lagoon! This appears to be the Repliforce's doing!"

Zero: Repliforce? ... OK, I'm on my way.

Or:

(X stands in the Command Room of the Maverick Hunter Headquarters, receiving a briefing of his next mission.)

Hunter H.Q.: Mavericks have been found at location 5567! The Mavericks occupied the Sky Lagoon using the most advanced weapons available! The army appears to be the Repliforce!

X: Roger that! I'm on my way!

(X teleports out to the Sky Lagoon.)

Far from a single reploid, this was believed to be an occupying and heavily-armed force.

And no, I'm not arguing that they should be retired for letting so many Maverick Hunters go Maverick. But the Maverick Hunters should be investigated (though the v3 in the X4 manual suggests that the Maverick Hunters have been disbanded and reformed several times. Same with the Repliforce, though there's even less evidence of their existence prior to X4 than there are viruses in the pre-X4 timeline). But if they refuse and insist on fighting to the death each and every time someone tries to talk to them and bring them in, then them getting destroyed is going to be a foregone conclusion, assuming the arresting force brings enough firepower.
Lucky wrote:2) Prove X/Zero/Maverick hunters are in the Repliforce chain of command, and that Repliforce has to listen to them.
We wouldn't be having this argument if Repliforce actually bothered to use that argument. And considering they were declared Mavericks by the humans, I'm guessing when the orders eventually came down from the lawful government, they gave the same idiotic excuse. X and Zero keep referring to "they", which I assume is the government.

Edit: Also, I mentioned previously that the Repliforce was created to increase the effectiveness of the Maverick Hunters.

Same Edit: And their declaration that they'd never lay down their weapons tells me they wouldn't have put down their weapons even with a direct order from the rulers of the world.
Lucky wrote:3) There was no evidence Repliforce or the Colonel were guilty of any wrong doing. X/Zero and the Maverick hunters could have just as easily been guilty.
Mega man X 4 wrote: The Colonel: "What are you talking about!? I only came to save my sister. The army responsible for all the violence in this region is not the Repliforce!"
Maverick Hunter HQ already mentioned that it appeared to be the Repliforce. Appeared to be. The whole point of investigating would be to find that out. And if Repliforce had complaints about the chain of command, desire for official confirmation from their direct superiors, unfair persecution, suspicion of someone trying to frame them, or anything that resembled a legitimate complaint, I wouldn't be so damn hard on them. Instead, they talk about pride and never disarming under any circumstances. Which is stupid beyond belief.
Lucky wrote:4) I already provided evidence that Repliforce are slaves just like R2-D2 and C3-P0
Using a quote from a century after the events listed that may have been referring to events closer to the character in question's own time.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Mega Man: Thanks doc. Oh, sorry about kicking your ass. You know... business.
*beams up*

XD

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mega Man mostly takes place in North America, and real world nations seem to exist in the Mega Man universe going by what we see in Mega Man 6.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_6

Able city is seemingly just one city on the west coast of North America, but even though Sigma fires tens if not hundreds of large missile the city still stands even though it takes direct hits.
Mmm, just noticed that in X5, the Sigma virus that infected the statue was destroyed in Brazil, close to east Venezuela.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:22 pm

He alxways jumps higher than you do so you want to fight him on high ground.
Pull an Obi-Wan Kenobi okay?

X: It is over Overdrive Ostrich...I have the high ground!

Overdrive Ostrich: You underestimate my power ...Oh shit!

X: Don't try it, bitch!

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Good explanation SP. Clearly, from the information you provide, there's more than enough reasons to consider the Reploids a danger in many situations and their insubordination unacceptable.
Dealing with them as a terrorist force obviously was the way to go, Mavericks or Repliforce pretty much ending behaving the same way.
If the Repliforce was so stuck up on its own super secret code of or moral and virtue 101 so much that they couldn't actually give a shit about explaining their actions, it's no surprise that they couldn't be trusted anymore.

At least in The Rock (1996) General Francis X. Hummel made his point clear, and one could even side with him despite the terrorist act. On the other hand, the Repliforce stays mute and despite a lack of any terrorist action, they already appear far more dangerous because there's not even a single hint of logic provided. All there is is that vague ounce of pride that seems wedged inside their throats, because they refuse to be put under scrutiny.
It's like having a cop refusing to drop his weapon and relinquish his authority until his case has been settled. He's supposed to have faith in the police structure or the government.
And if it weren't the case, you'd expect him to at least give a clue about what he feel is wrong.
But the Repliforce just gives everybody the finger and throw some really puerile act, and that's basically the premise of their plot to fuck the world.
No wonder they would be treated like the rebellious agents they were.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 am

SpacePaladin wrote: X3:

Manual Page 17: ...Equipped with a high-performance neuro-computer, Doppler was instrumental in determining the cause of the recent Maverick outbreak. Its' anti-virus was revolutionary and once again brought the world to peace...

"Doppler: Sigma's true form is that of a computer virus... I was corrupted by him and... I created a horrific new body for him..."

X4:
Game Manual: Established: Mavericks, Virus Contained.

X5:
??: Yes, it's ready... Piece of cake. ...The Colony is still alive... I can let it fall at any time... Please let me do it now. I'm getting bored. All I have to do is... go back to the Earth and scatter the Virus.
Zero: Oh no! The Sigma Virus is leaking out!

X6:
Alia: I found out what the Nightmare is... The Nightmare is an artificial virus. It infects Reploids and rewrites their DNA and AI programs, immobilizing them. At worst, even their appearance changes. We don't know exactly as our analysis is not yet complete... But it is very similar to the Mavericks.

X: Yeah...It's almost the same.

X8:
X: Zero's been used before by Sigma to create a virus. He's upset that his data was used in an attempt to destroy the world...
X3
Doppler lied, it is a major plot point.
Mega Man X3 wrote: Using his Neuro Computer, he has been able to suppress any abnormal behavior in the Reploids and prevent them from going berserk.
Doppler was using mind control to remove free will from the Reploids. Maverick behavior is simply a matter of reploids not having to follow the three laws of robotics like Dr. Light era robots.

X4
There is no virus or program effecting Repliforce beyond their own programing.

X5
Sigma is a singular entity, and never possessed anyone. He is also not a computer program

X6
The Nightmares don't cause Reploids to go maverick. It creates something completely new
SpacePaladin wrote: I never claimed they were wise in this universe.
You're claiming that robots that take in information the same way humans do are absurdly prone to getting viruses that turn them into killing machines, and that the humans who build them are giving them weapons. That isn't simply foolish, it doesn't make sense.

SpacePaladin wrote: I don't know, but with the Nightmare Viruses they move toward the Reploid and change them. I don't know if that's a visual analog of what's happening, or if they really are that big.
You don't seem to understand my point. The energy Sigma released in X5 and Nightmare in X6 weren't factors in causing Maverick behavior at any other time. Heck, they only cover a few weeks at most.

SpacePaladin wrote: The ability to make one's own decisions is a design feature. The tendency to go berserk and kill people is not.
And yet no Maverick shown is randomly destroying things. Dr. Light realized X could choose to kill humans if he wanted to, and that is why X was put through 30 years of psychological testing.

SpacePaladin wrote: So, he couldn't raid another missile silo, or build more Mavericks? And remember, X2 directly follows X1, so that's part of the same war. It takes place 6 months after it, so they've had 6 months to do mop-op operations after the Maverick leadership was decapitated.

Plus, there was the missile in Overdrive Ostrich's base.
Forgive me, but unless it is about human size, the weapon tends to be absurdly underpowered in Mega Man. The missiles we see in Day of Sigma are rather sad.

It would seem that X destroys the Rebel's production facilities at the start of MMX2, and that would mean that the Rebels had very little to start with.

SpacePaladin wrote: Okay, so that justifies him blowing up a city and advocating the extermination of a species? Why couldn't he and his followers just piss off to where humans couldn't follow?
Because X wouldn't be there, and Sigma would not be able to test Dr. Cain's beliefs about X.

I don't recall where Sigma ever stated he wanted to kill all humans?

SpacePaladin wrote: It's a first step. Sigma is advocating the elimination of humanity, and is willing to blow people up en masse.

Perhaps I should have said "uprisings with genocidal ambitions". There we could have uprisings where the intent is eliminate humanity, but how close it comes may vary (though considering the fall of Colony Eurasia and the Elf Wars, I'd put those as much closer to genocide than the others).

Furthermore, what is the canonicity of the Maverick Hunter X series? It seems to contradict several bits of later games, like how Cain was wheelchair bound and was apparently vapourized, even though he's active until at least the background of X4.
And yet killing all humans is something Simga never seems to care about.

Maverick hunter X is a bare bones remake with added dialog. Most of the dialog is for characters who didn't speak in the original.

I fail to see how a detail like Dr. Cain dying in Day of Sigma effects everything else in the story-line. Dr. Cain is never shown in the original Mega Man X, and could be replaced by just about anyone in later games. Every version of the first Mega Man X1 contradicts the others a tiny bit.
SpacePaladin wrote: So, when someone follows the orders of someone committing high treason, it's what they're supposed to be doing, but obeying orders when it comes to potentially clearing one's own name is equivalent to walking into the scrapping booths? What?
X is a B-Ranked hunter while Sigma was at the top of the command structure, it is a chain of command thing, and a problem that the original Dr. Light/Dr. Wily robot masters had.

Storm Eagle's behavior is very human in that he is working with Sigma for what would appear to be blackmail or to try to be a moderating force in the organization. Not all Nazi in WWII thought killing Jews was the right thing for example.

SpacePaladin wrote: Hey, you're expecting me to provide quotes and examples, you can't go all speculating without at least some solid evidence you can theorize off of.
A.I. in Mega Man range from super-intelligent to being what would be mentally impaired in humans, and we know that Armored Armadillo acts like a Dr. Light era robot in that he does his job no matter what.

SpacePaladin wrote: That doesn't make it right. Assuming Sigma didn't inadvertently corrupt them with the Sigma Virus (which wasn't actually known to exist until X3), many of them have terrible reasons for doing what they do.
Sigma was never a virus that infected other robots. he has always been a singular entity.
Mega Man X wrote: Sigma: You have won a temporary victory, X! What you destroyed was only a temporary body -- My spirit remains intact. In time I will find other bodies strong enough to do my bidding and I will return. I shall see you soon, X. Very soon...
It is actually very similar to what Vega/M.Bison is.
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Guy's story line wrote: Pre Fight
M. Bison: Bushin Style... Ah. Now I recall what i've heard about that name. Bushin is a threat to my Psycho power. it must be exterminated. You are disrupting our work... Leave at once.

Guy: i can't. You are the "threat to the world" I was warned of.

M. Bison: I have gone by many different names throughout history, but each has always been marked by fear and despair. Get ready... the legitimate successor of Bushin style!

Post Fight
M. Bison: Gu.Gu.. Noo... I'm.... Your Bushin Style! I underestimated it!!

Guy: I can sense the true nature of your spirit now, Bison. indeed, you are the evil threat Master Zeku foretold! BISON! You had best leave this area quickly! Or else!

Bison: Insolent child! How dare you!! I will crush the name of Bushin beneth the weight of my power!

Guy: BUSHIN MUSOU RENGE

Bison: I. .. I.. am... Ugh... beaten.. by.. you. Wh...y.......

Guy: So this is the power of Bushin. An awesome burden for one man. I literally hold the power of life and death before my fists. Questioning the morality of right and wrong is irrelevant. Master Zeku has entrusted me as the successor of Bushin Style, and so it is my destiny to be burdened with this great task. It is my duty to continue to train, strengthen and build a mind without hesitation, ready to attack at any time! This is indeed the heart of Bushin Style!
Dr. Doppler is an idiot.
SpacePaladin wrote: Flame Mammoth was a sociopath.
Chill Penguin was paid off.
Boomer Kuwanger was in it for the fight.
Sting Chameleon seems kind of crazy.

As for Spark Mandril and Launch Octopus, I can't really tell what their reasons are beyond some vague loyalty.
I would suggest you check what a sociopath is a bit more carefully., but that doesn't really matter for this topic.

Spark mandril thinks Sigma is right as if he had a philosophical discussion with sigma
Maverick Hunter X wrote: Normal Mode

Spark Mandrill: X... You showed up.

X: Spark Mandrill. Do us both a favor and surrender peacefully.

Spark Mandrill: I don't think so, X. Oppose me and I'll crush you!

X: Sounds like you've gone Maverick. Your time has come, Spark Mandrill!

Spark Mandrill: I'm not the smartest guy around, X. But I have a feeling that Sigma is right.

Free Play

Spark Mandrill: Do you think Commander Sigma is insane, X?

X: He's no commander. Not anymore. He's nothing but a Maverick now!

Spark Mandrill: Now, X... You never thought that maybe Sigma was right and you were wrong?

X: ...

Spark Mandrill: I don't like thinking either... Maybe we can find the answer together... In battle!
He seems to be an idiot, but Sigma seems to have given him a good enough argument as to why he should follow Sigma.

Maverick Hunter X wrote:Normal mode

X: Your antics stop here, Launch Octopus!

Launch Octopus: I only take orders from Sigma. There's no way I'll let you boss me around!

X: Face it... You've gone Maverick!

Launch Octopus: Maverick? How dare you call my artistic battle style by that name!

Free Play

X: Launch Octopus... How could you do something like this?

Launch Octopus: I am an artist, you see, X. An artist of underwater combat! But no one has recognized that fact. Not until now.

X: But Sigma recognizes that?

Launch Octopus: That's right. And now I'm fighting to create an entire world that does, too! This is a very important battle for me.
Launch Octopus is an ax crazy narcissist.

SpacePaladin wrote: Before beating the stuffing out of him:
Doppler: I've been waiting for you X. I'm Dr. Doppler. I've been watching your battles closely. Your victories over my men have been most impressive. I need superior reploids like yourself, X! I offer you the chance to join us. Together we shall build a Utopia where the Reploids rule under the watchful eyes of Sigma, our lord and master.

Doppler: "Sigma's true form is that of a computer virus... I was corrupted by him and... I created a horrific new body for him..."

Then he proceeds to tell you where to find Sigma. Prior to that, he talks about having built Sigma a new body.

Later:
Sigma: It was easy to corrupt that fool, Doppler. And I would have succeeded if you hadn't interfered.

So, Doppler pre-beating announces his loyalty to Sigma. Doppler post-beating talks about a virus and how he was corrupted. Sigma also confirms that he was the one to corrupt Dr. Doppler.

Meanwhile, in the end he either hands the Sigma Virus cure to Zero, or he absorbs Sigma in an act of self-sacrifice.

So, he's crazy, he admits to being turned crazy, the guy who turned him crazy admits he turned the guy crazy, and if there's no other option, is demonstrably willing to sacrifice himself in order to atone for his mistakes. And that tells you he acts like Wily?

And his anti-virus may have been something he only recently completed. His Neuro-Computer was supposedly being used to fix reploids may have been incomplete and Sigma infected him before he could finish it, then when you snap him out of it, was able to complete the anti-virus. Admittedly, I am speculating, but at least I am pointing to stuff that's in the manual (Page 17) and in the game!
Read or watch the ending of the first mega man X game. Sigma survives as an A.I. or a ghost in a computer, and plans to build a new body
-----

Dr. Doppler built an easily exploitable weakness into Sigma's otherwise indestructible body.

Dr. Doppler just happened to have a virus that he believed would destroy Sigma's programing.

Dr. Doppler lied about the cause of Mavericks as Mavericks predate Zero's release, and Sigma going bad. Maverick behavior is explained in the intro to the first Mega Man X game.

In the end Dr. Doppler lies a lot, and most if not all believe his B.S..

SpacePaladin wrote: Doppler admits to it. Sigma admits to it, and he even tries to possess X at the end. Megaman X # 3, 5, 6, 8 all mention viruses in the gameplay itself and X4 in the manual. The Rockman X Complete Works (which, admittedly, is of dubious canonicity) mentions viruses. Viruses as a means of corrupting Reploids is in the games.

As for Sigma being infected...

I'm pretty sure the battle between Sigma and Maverick Zero in X4's flashback is supposed to be when Sigma got infected.
Doppler lies, or has no idea as to what he is talking about. This is a major plot point.

Sigma is a singular entity, and can only exist in one place at a time.

All Sigma is ever shown doing is talking. Those who have been changed by Sigma or Doppler were physically altered.

Mavericks existed before Zero's release.

Dr. Light clearly stated that it is a reploid's ability of free will that is the reason for Mavericks in the first Mega man X game.

SpacePaladin wrote: Dr. Light sealed X away in a testing chamber for at least 30 years to make sure he didn't go crazy.

He wanted them to possess free will, but the tendency to freak out and murder people is not something he wanted.
The ability to rebel is part of the free will Dr. Light built into X and by default all Reploids.

Yes , it also means Reploids can choose to murder humans or other reploids for fun.
SpacePaladin wrote: Page 8 of the X1 manual. People were happy to accept them. Dr Doppler was a respected scientist who, before turning evil, had a city named after him.
Doppler lies.

People expect Reploids to do as they are told, and not say "screw you idiot".
SpacePaladin wrote: That's not the reason they gave when they refused. If they had mentioned anything like what you said (Reploids being unfairly treated, suspicions against the Maverick Hunters or the PC not having the authority to bring them in), then I wouldn't be so damn hard on them. Instead, they talk about pride. An entirely self-serving motivation drawing on dubious military doctrine that seems less Sun Tzu's The Art of War and more Zapp Brannigan's Big Book of War.

Zero version:

Zero: They suspect you've become a Maverick.

Colonel: What!?

Zero: Disarm and come with me to the H.Q.

Colonel: I'm afraid I can't. Soldiers never drop their weapons! I won't do it, not even for you, Zero!

Colonel: So be it! The Repliforce prefers war over dishonor and shame! Good bye, Zero!

Zero: Damn! This isn't good Colonel! They may decide the entire Repliforce is a group of Mavericks!

X version:

X: Nevertheless, I want you to disarm and follow me back to the H.Q.

Colonel: Never! You're asking my soldiers to drop their weapons? The only time we drop our weapons is when we aren't able to fight any longer!

X: You will be regarded a Maverick and treated as such!

Colonel: Do as you will! The Repliforce would sooner fight and die than discard our pride. Consider us Mavericks if this is what you wish!

(Colonel teleports out.)

X: What the ...! Something's got to give. Otherwise the entire Repliforce will be considered to be Mavericks!
The Colonel behaves as if he feels he can not be sure he can trust X/Zero/Maverick Hunters, and X/Zero's behavior is needlessly hostile and antagonistic as if they are trying to start a fight.
SpacePaladin wrote: Page 4

...Repliforce v3 Evaluation: June 1
-> REPLIFORCE v3 proven ineffective and potentially dangerous.
And there is no evidence of this in any of the games.

If true then the same can be said about the Maverick hunters.

SpacePaladin wrote: You keep demanding quotes from me, but I'm going to want to see some quotes proving your claims, because the text from the manual tells me that Repliforce may not have even existed before the Doppler incident.
The only known field agents of the Maverick hunters during X3 are Zero and X.
Mega man X 7 wrote: Narrator: Sometime in the 22nd century... Thanks to the Reploids, even the most devastated regions were set back on the road to recovery. But crimes perpetrated by "Mavericks" were on the rise. The "Maverick Hunters" was the official organization that responded to incidents involving Mavericks.

(An image of X is shown.)

Narrator: One of the veteran members, X, began having second thoughts about the group's forceful methods. He removed himself from the front lines, and instead worked to achieve more peaceful solutions.

X: Why must Reploids fight one another? I've had enough violence.

Narrator: With the Maverick Hunters crippled by X's retirement, an underground organization filled the vacuum. And thus, Red Alert, the illegal band of bounty hunters that pursued Mavericks, was born. Soon, there was not a single Reploid who had not heard of Red Alert and its charismatic leader, Red. One day, a young Reploid, and key Member of Red Aert, made the decision to leave the group. This decision would change destiny itself.
-----
MMX1/2 Sigma guts the the Maverick Hunters

MMX3 Doppler attacks and the only Hunters we see are X, Zero, and one traitor.
MMX4 The only field agents we see in action against all of Repliforce are X and Zero. It even seems that Jet Stingray even attacks the city the Maverick Hunter base is, and all they send is X or Zero on a jet bike.

MMX5 there is a global threat, and all the Maverick Hunters send are X or Zero to retrieve eight vital items one at a time.

MMX6 takes place possibly hours after X5.

MMX7 X leaving active duty cripples the Maverick Hunters in a time when raw numbers would matter more them raw power.
-----
Someone other then the Maverick Hunters had to be fighting Dr. Doppler's army during X and Zero's mission to Doppler Town as the Maverick Hunters were gutted as part of Doppler's first move.

It would not make sense for the General to talk to Sigma after the events of X1, X2, or X3.

SpacePaladin wrote: Excuse me? Where did you get the idea that the Maverick Hunters were a civilian police force?
From Mega Maqn X7 and Day of Sigma. Mega Man X7 show Axle kill some reploid criminals, and they seem to be dealing in rather mundane stuff that you might find a human criminal deal in. Xand Zero seem more like S.W.A.T. then standard police.

SpacePaladin wrote: Then why did the manual state they were described as ineffective and potentially dangerous?

Edit: Page 4, the MMX4 manual states one of their directives was to increase the effectiveness of the Maverick Hunters. This suggests that rather than a civilian police force, the MH are the primary anti-Maverick fighting force, and the Repliforce is the secondary.

Why is Double stated to be a loyal Maverick Hunter created by Dr. Cain, and yet the Maverick Hunters don't know what he can do, and he is one of Sigma's agents in the game? The information in the manual is not 100% correct for one reason or another.

SpacePaladin wrote: Again, then maybe if they offered that reason instead of just talking about their pride and how they'd rather fight a war rather than disarm under any circumstances I wouldn't be so goddamn hard on them.
Again, the Colonel was being perfectly reasonable while X/Zero were acting all mavericky trying to start a fight for no reason. The Colonel was simply making it clear that X/Zero was out of line and he would defend himself. Given who the Colonel's sister is X and Zero should have been more polite instead of living up to their reputation as a bunch of thugs.

You'll notice that X/Zero agree that there are other groups besides Repliforce who have the kinds of weapons used, and they just let him go.

SpacePaladin wrote: Hey! That's a great idea! Maybe if Repliforce actually used that reason instead of the one they did...
Why, the Colonel told X/Zero why he was there, both parties knew of groups other then Repliforce who could have caused the event, and the Colonel stated Repliforce was not operating in the area.

In response to the helpful and polite Colonel, X/Zero start making absurd demands and threatening the Colonel and Repliforce for no reason as if X/Zero had gone maverick. Really, what do they expect The Colonel to do, give them his head? The Colonel seems to have weapons built into every part of his body save his head from

SpacePaladin wrote: Building weapons.
Guarding the weapons. There was no sign that anything was being built.

SpacePaladin wrote: Stage description:
Storm Owl: He left with a Space Fortress to conquer the air.
(Emphasis mine).

That's a strange definition of "minding his own business".
Shame that he was never shown attacking anything.

Shame that Double was one of Sigma's agents, and therefore calls into question all the information we get from the Maverick Hunters.
SpacePaladin wrote: Generally I assume it means attacking it and causing a lot of collateral damage.
Given the city in question seems to be where the Maverick Hunter base is(they chased Jet Stingray down on jet bikes), I doubt it was destroyed.

SpacePaladin wrote: He's part of an armed insurrection, the Maverick Hunters destroying it is a valid operation.
Really, then why wasn't Repliforce using its weapons?

Why wasn't Repliforce attacking the Maverick Hunters? We see a bunch of Replioids just standing around talking as if nothing is going on(only to be killed by Double).

SpacePaladin wrote: Sigma's agents are not part of Repliforce, so their actions are not part of anything Repliforce ordered.

Though Magma Dragoon says in his dying words he worked for Repliforce, so I'm going to assume Reploids can opt to work for both the Maverick Hunters and the Repliforce. And he freely admitted to deciding of his own free will to destroy Sky Lagoon in order to draw X and Zero into a fight (it's either that, or he was infected into thinking this was a good idea, but that's purely speculation).
They were double agents working for Sigma just like Double. Their job was to make Repliforce look bad. Had the maverick hunters been competent at their job, X4 would have been about helping the Colonel and General root out Sigma's agents, but the Maverick Hunters
X4 wrote: ???: It's about the Maverick Hunters, General. They are far too eager to please the humans, and continue to hunt down the Reploids. Do you believe they pose a significant threat?

General: Perhaps.

???: You already know the truth, General. Their sole mission has been to destroy any Reploids who fail to do as the humans order!

General: Hmm...

???: It's in your best interest to stop them now, before they turn on you! You possess enough power to destroy them!

General: ... You are dismissed.

???: What?!

General: I will not betray the humans. Remove yourself from my sight. My business with you has concluded...

???: Heh heh heh... very well. But you will change your mind soon, I assure you! Ha ha ha ha... Ha ha ha ha!
X5 wrote: Grizzly Slash: Zero! Seeing you re-opens old wounds...

Zero: You should have that looked after. I don't have time for small talk. Give me the Crystal Ball...

Grizzly Slash: Why don't you do what you usually do, and force me to? You used to be a Maverick, right? That's what I heard. And, you destroyed Sigma, didn't you?

Zero: What, that old story...? If you dare to try and fight me, then I accept your challenge anytime, anywhere.

Grizzly Slash: Hunters and Sigma are very similar. Very aggressive and overconfident.

Zero: What? We're nothing like that scum!

Grizzly Slash: Oh yes, you are... I'm just an arms dealer... But you... You destroy anyone who stands against you. Now I'm going to make you pay for what you did to me, Maverick Hunter!
X7 wrote: Narrator: One of the veteran members, X, began having second thoughts about the group's forceful methods. He removed himself from the front lines, and instead worked to achieve more peaceful solutions.
aren't known for being diplomatic.
SpacePaladin wrote: I'm guessing as Sigma's infiltrator would try to make sure people didn't know what he was capable of without them realizing they don't know what he was capable of. And since he was built by Dr. Cain, they probably trusted him to provide the design specs.
What you are suggest is that the The Maverick Hunters don't give new recruits physicals, and that Dr. Cain was curupted by Sigma, but neither makes sense.

SpacePaladin wrote: Aside from Ciel throughout MMZ, Dr Weil, and if we're including the classic series, Dr. Cossack and his daughter Kalinka in MM4.
That doesn't really change the fact that there are almost no humans featured in the Mega man series until MMZ4.

SpacePaladin wrote: There was no confirmed use of viruses in X1 and X2. There's a difference. Considering in X2, Sigma's final form is the same form as Sigma's virus form in X3, so I'm pretty sure that at least hints to a virus involved.
Sigma is not a virus at any time during the X series. It is like calling Cyber-Elves Viruses.

SpacePaladin wrote: So Sigma [edit: should be Doppler] talks about viruses and Sigma talks about corrupting Doppler and using an electronic form and proclaiming he will possess you, and gets taken out by an anti-virus technology, and yet you insist there are no viruses.
And corrupting someone does not require viruses or mind control.

SpacePaladin wrote: Check the manual. The virus is mentioned, even if only to state it's been contained. Otherwise, I've never claimed that viruses were involved in any major capacity and only theorized any sort of involvement.
I have checked the manual. The manual seems to be unreliable to me. It's like it the story line in the game was changed after it was written, or they purposely put in wrong information so as to not plot twists in the game.

SpacePaladin wrote: Aside from it potentially infecting Zero to the point of powering him up, the background information mentions how most of the Maverick Hunters were infected, that the Reploid Air Forces have been infected and Squid Adler believed that most Reploids on Earth were infected.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Evil_Energy
Zero, being a Wily creation, would be designed to basically eat evil energy, and thereby not go insane

X, being a Light creation, would be designed be immune to the effects of evil energy.

It's rather sad that it seems so much information was lost between the time X was sealed and X was awakened.
SpacePaladin wrote: They describe it as a virus in the cut scenes.
They are using the word virus to describe something that in many ways acts like a cyber-elf, and cyber-elves are souls.

Here is the problem with claiming that maverick behavior is caused by anything connected to Zero:

1) The Maverick Hunters pre-date Zero's release.

2) Sigma was a normal Reploid until the end of X1 where he becomes a bodiless A.I. in a computer.

3) The Zero virus and Nightmare virus do not exist until X 5 and X6

4) All Sigma did was verbally echo the General's concerns about the Maverick Hunter's questionable tactics and behavior. Fears that have basis in reality.
Mega Man X4 wrote: ???: It's about the Maverick Hunters, General. They are far too eager to please the humans, and continue to hunt down the Reploids. Do you believe they pose a significant threat?

General: Perhaps.

???: You already know the truth, General. Their sole mission has been to destroy any Reploids who fail to do as the humans order!

General: Hmm...

???: It's in your best interest to stop them now, before they turn on you! You possess enough power to destroy them!

General: ... You are dismissed.

???: What?!

General: I will not betray the humans. Remove yourself from my sight. My business with you has concluded...

???: Heh heh heh... very well. But you will change your mind soon, I assure you! Ha ha ha ha... Ha ha ha ha!
Mega Man X5 wrote: Grizzly Slash: Zero! Seeing you re-opens old wounds...

Zero: You should have that looked after. I don't have time for small talk. Give me the Crystal Ball...

Grizzly Slash: Why don't you do what you usually do, and force me to? You used to be a Maverick, right? That's what I heard. And, you destroyed Sigma, didn't you?

Zero: What, that old story...? If you dare to try and fight me, then I accept your challenge anytime, anywhere.

Grizzly Slash: Hunters and Sigma are very similar. Very aggressive and overconfident.

Zero: What? We're nothing like that scum!

Grizzly Slash: Oh yes, you are... I'm just an arms dealer... But you... You destroy anyone who stands against you. Now I'm going to make you pay for what you did to me, Maverick Hunter!
Mega Man X7 wrote: Narrator: One of the veteran members, X, began having second thoughts about the group's forceful methods. He removed himself from the front lines, and instead worked to achieve more peaceful solutions.

SpacePaladin wrote: Okay, so Reploids are sufficiently mentally malleable that they can be reprogrammed into being massive killing machines. Yet another reason to not trust Reploids.
You can do the same thing to humans in the real world. How else do you get normal people to blow themselves up?

What the copy of Sigma that Gate created did was alter Red Alert's hardware and software, but even then Sigma could not really control Red. It is kind of like the old tails of making deals with demons for power.
SpacePaladin wrote: So, reploids freely deciding to go on killing sprees is not a reason to fear them? I'm confused to the point you're trying to make.
A reploid can choose to disobey orders, and this is a design feature rather then a flaw in their programing. It means that a reploid can engage in criminal(maverick) activity if it wants to for some reason just like a human can. Your logic is faulty as it equally applies to humans.

-----

Why build large numbers of reploids at all? Building a superhuman slave/survent race is just asking for trouble, and Dr.Light era A.I. are more then up to the task of handling any job we see in the entire Mega Man series
SpacePaladin wrote:So... are you arguing humanity is not at fault here even though you're arguing that humanity mistreats reploids?
I'm saying that the Maverick Hunters have a very poor track record.

SpacePaladin wrote: For a civilian police force, they seem to be remarkably well armed. They have troops for dealing with stuff on land, sea and air and would have global deployment capacity in X5, X6, X7, and X8.

Plus, I suggest you provide some quotes to prove they were a civilian police force seeing as how they were the primary [edit: should state only] force for dealing with Maverick uprisings in every game except X4 and X7.
You're confusing the S.W.A.T. type guys like Zero with the majority of the Maverick hunter

SpacePaladin wrote: They were advocating the removal of the previous generations. That's not a good sign.
They were also raised by Sigma from birth. YOu have a nature VS nurture thing going on. Remember, Axle is the prototype that Lumine was based on.

SpacePaladin wrote: Seeing as how in the MMX1 manual they were accepted, and Dr. Doppler got his own city named after him for his accomplishments, and Magma Dragoon was able to join the Repliforce of his own free will to advance his agenda...
Edit: Also, Red Alert was able to arm themselves, there are Reploid mercenaries like the Nightmare Police and Dynamo.
Doppler used mind control, and the city was made by reploids I thought?

Manuals are of questionable accuracy, and given the fact we seemingly never see a human working would imply that reploids are accepted so long as they do as they are told.

I don't see where it is stated any reploid joined Repliforce. they all seem to be purpose built.

There are black market weapons dealers like Grizzly Slash, and those mercenaries all seem to be mavericks.

SpacePaladin wrote: That was the Zero series, set over 100 years after the X series, after Dr. Weil did used the Dark Elf to take over the minds of Reploids across the world and wage the bloodiest war ever known. So yes, Reploids were not given a choice. But the X series is not the time they were denied their rights for the most part (yes, there were bits of it, but by and large Reploids didn't face the kind of persecution you're talking about during the X series).
It doesn't matter when Neige is giving her monolog. She is talking about the first Reploids Dr. Cain made, Sigma's rebellion, Repliforce, etc.

SpacePaladin wrote: In the Zero series. Which happened after the X series.
YOu're ignoring Neiges monolog about how reploids were slaves during the X series.

SpacePaladin wrote: And Reploids are quick to use violence for whatever reasons. Never try to talk anything out.
When violence is the only tool available to fix a problem it will be the first tool used.
SpacePaladin wrote: That little tidbit didn't come out until X6.
No, that was Mega man Zero.

SpacePaladin wrote: My comment was in regard to Repliforce and in X4, they committed insubordination, interfered with the investigation into this atrocity, launched a military coup when their insubordination was not tolerated, conquered the sky and destroyed a city, built a giant weapon in space, and didn't actually bother securing said weapon well enough that an ambitious and malevolent third party couldn't take it over.
Repliforce never interfered with an investigation. There was no investigation on the part of the Maverick hunters.

We don't know who Repliforce reported to, but it certainly was not X or Zero, and X and Zero are the only ones we see ordering Repliforce around.

The Maverick Hunters make a lot of absurd claims about Repliforce that don't make sense. There was no attempted coup for example, no attempt to conquer the sky, no cities destroyed, and no new weapons were made or used.

SpacePaladin wrote: Repliforce was egotistical, trigger happy, dangerous, and kind of stupid.
Do check what the word egotistical means. You are misusing it here.

X and Zero are Maverick Hunters not Repliforce. it is standard practice of the Maverick Hunters to be trigger happy, rude, dangerous jackbooted thugs. This is stated as why X removes himself from active duty after X6.

Conversely Repliforce was polite, only fired in self defense, and smart enough to leave the planet rather then dishonor themselves with a war they didn't want to fight.

SpacePaladin wrote: Hunter H.Q.: "Mavericks emerged at the point 5567! They've occupied the Sky Lagoon! This appears to be the Repliforce's doing!"

Zero: Repliforce? ... OK, I'm on my way.

Or:

(X stands in the Command Room of the Maverick Hunter Headquarters, receiving a briefing of his next mission.)

Hunter H.Q.: Mavericks have been found at location 5567! The Mavericks occupied the Sky Lagoon using the most advanced weapons available! The army appears to be the Repliforce!

X: Roger that! I'm on my way!

(X teleports out to the Sky Lagoon.)

Far from a single reploid, this was believed to be an occupying and heavily-armed force.

And no, I'm not arguing that they should be retired for letting so many Maverick Hunters go Maverick. But the Maverick Hunters should be investigated (though the v3 in the X4 manual suggests that the Maverick Hunters have been disbanded and reformed several times. Same with the Repliforce, though there's even less evidence of their existence prior to X4 than there are viruses in the pre-X4 timeline). But if they refuse and insist on fighting to the death each and every time someone tries to talk to them and bring them in, then them getting destroyed is going to be a foregone conclusion, assuming the arresting force brings enough firepower.
The manual is not accurate remember.

Colonel: What are you talking about?! I only came to save my sister. The army responsible for all the violence in this region is not the Repliforce!
The Maverick Hunter assume Repliforce was attacking, but they came after the fact.

Repliforce's big evil plan was to leave Earth. All the supposed crimes are lies planted by Sigma's agent, and the Maverick Hunters are drooling morons who don't investigate anything.

SpacePaladin wrote: We wouldn't be having this argument if Repliforce actually bothered to use that argument. And considering they were declared Mavericks by the humans, I'm guessing when the orders eventually came down from the lawful government, they gave the same idiotic excuse. X and Zero keep referring to "they", which I assume is the government.
Actually it doesn't need to be stated verbally to be shown to be true. Neither X or Zero act as if they have the authority to order Repliforce to do anything. It is implied by the Colonel's behavior that the Maverick Hunters are nort in the chain of command.

Who "THEY" are is never explained, and irrelevant as "THEY" never take any action. "THEY" in this case is most likely the Maverick Hunters as no one else tries to order Repliforce around

SpacePaladin wrote: Edit: Also, I mentioned previously that the Repliforce was created to increase the effectiveness of the Maverick Hunters.
That is never stated in the game.

You're using a source that states Double is something he isn't remember.

As portrayed in the game, Repliforce is the actual military, and Maverick Hunters are a supplemental militia. It would not make sense for the militia to be better outfitted then the real military. The Maverick Hunters only have teleportation and jet bikes.
SpacePaladin wrote: Same Edit: And their declaration that they'd never lay down their weapons tells me they wouldn't have put down their weapons even with a direct order from the rulers of the world.
You are reading way to much into that while ignoring how out of control the Maverick hunters were.

You are taking the statement out of context. He was being confronted by someone who was heavily armed and behaving in an unreasonably aggressive manner for no reason while he was polite and helpful. It only makes sense he would get defensive after a while.

It is very unreasonable to ask the Colonel to disarm given that unlike X and Zero he is likely pure weapons being a purpose built war machine much like Vile.

SpacePaladin wrote: Maverick Hunter HQ already mentioned that it appeared to be the Repliforce. Appeared to be. The whole point of investigating would be to find that out. And if Repliforce had complaints about the chain of command, desire for official confirmation from their direct superiors, unfair persecution, suspicion of someone trying to frame them, or anything that resembled a legitimate complaint, I wouldn't be so damn hard on them. Instead, they talk about pride and never disarming under any circumstances. Which is stupid beyond belief.
No X and Zero are shown playing bad cop with no good cop for no reason while the Colonel started out completely polite, reasonable and helpful, and only after being threatened repeatedly became defensive. It is even stated in X4, X6, X7 that being a trigger happy ass hole is standard behavior for Maverick Hunters.

It appearing to be Repliforce, but is never confirmed to be Repliforce, and in fact is confirmed to have not been Repliforce, but the Maverick Hunters ignore this inconvenient fact.

Even if members of Repliforce were involved that is no reason to behave like a maverick and threaten all of Repliforce.

Since no one ever tried to contact Repliforce we can conclude that the Maverick Hunters are taking action without any higher authorization.

SpacePaladin wrote: Using a quote from a century after the events listed that may have been referring to events closer to the character in question's own time.
No
Mega Man Zero4 wrote: Narrator (Neige): The Reploids... They were robots designed to look like Humans... These technical marvels were given unique personalities and were intended to be the perfect workers and the perfect partners for mankind... But... the wheels of peace between Reploids and Humans were beginning to grind to a halt.

Neige: The Reploids were well designed. Perhaps too well. Their humanity began to sow the seed of rebellion. The rebels were labeled Mavericks and feared by their Human masters... The Humans decided to pit Reploid against Reploid... That was the fate given to them. The Reploids fighting for humanity were never given a choice... Thus the war of the machines began and the humans just watched...
Neige: War begot war... And time passed... Even with the construction of the utopian Human city Neo Arcadia, the war dragged on... The Mavericks defeated the leader of Neo Arcadia. And now... Neo Arcadia is under the control of the criminal Dr. Weil. The former utopia is now only a shadow of its former glory. Many have started to flee the city. We are one of those groups fleeing from the clutches of Dr. Weil in our caravan...
Neige is talking about pre Neo Arcadia humans building the Reploids to use as slave labor. She is talking about Dr. Cain's time to her present. It is no different then you or i talking about slavery and civil rights struggles in the United States of America.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Your argument is most specious, Lucky.
You literally project the Repliforce's bad behaviour onto the Maverick Hunters.
They had to get into the place, had to deal with armed force (which does attack MHs by default), and then suddenly that makes the MHs the dangerous trigger happy dicks?
They had no way to know who really installed their forces there and displayed aggressive behaviour.
That they may have had biased information doesn't really matter, because the investigation also means that no matter what, it would be quite easy to prove that the Maverick Hunters didn't have enough proofs that Repliforce were behind the attack on Lagoon.
SP makes a good point. The Colonel never ever bothers to explain anything. His pride excuse is nothing more than a thinly veiled finger to the MHs and the authority they represent.
The MHs were not here to dick around, especially after having to push their way through enemies. They had suspicions, and it all makes perfect sense to require the Colonel to stay put.
If the MHs were sent there, knowing their methods and capabilities, it is therefore that they had the governmental backup and authority to do so, unless you have proof that they acted on their own and clearly violated some directives or higher orders.
It doesn't matter if Repliforce were another defense/assault arm of the government, even superior in logistics and firepower to the Maverick Hunters.
The simple fact that the MHs have to investigate means that the Repliforce was enough off the grid to warrant said investigation and make them suspicious enough.
So Repliforce would obviously not be considered anything official anymore, leaving the MHs as the only official force at Lagoon.
Heck, Colonel should have recognized that in fact and agreed with that clear chain of command, or at the very least attempted to make his point clear.
It doesn't mean he was a maverick, but the MHs had all the reasons in the world to conclude that after the Colonel's refusal to give in, they were indeed mavericks.
The MHs therefore had full official power at this point and all reasons to ask for Repliforce to explain their behaviour. It was part of the investigation.

Mavericks: we just don't want to obey orders.
So instead of fleeing quietly and eventually inviting other reploids to do so, we just decide to cause trouble left and right.
If Sigma, the embodiement of one single entity, was supposed to also represent the summary and near perfection of pro-freedom-for-reploids argument, he certainly sucked big times at it to make it acceptable of humans and loyal reploids.
"Yo look ama firin ma big missilz at yo city. Bam Bam Bam."
Fuck, philosophy be damned. You bet no one is going to trust Mavericks much.
The "corrupt" Zero in X4's flashback was seriously dangerous and aggressive, that is made quite clear.

If anything, it seems that this kind of virus, even if it could only possess one single already built reploid at a time (or build a new body as a vessel), it used the free will as a vector to get inside the AIs of the reploid in question and even affect others.
It could corrupt, in some other way, some of the reploids who happened to be active around the infectious prime-agent.
Still, no matter what, Maverick Hunters always have to face enemies always shooting at them first. Let's not forget that.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:44 am

All right, I am going to get one thing out of the way right here and now: whenever I refer to The Sigma Virus, I am not referring to Sigma's virus form, as seen in X3 and possibly X2, but rather the virus named after him. Sigma and the Sigma Virus are two related but ultimately separate things, and the latter does not create a Borg-style Hive Mind of Sigmas everywhere. It might influence its infected targets, but it does not necessarily grant Sigma control.
Lucky wrote: X3
Doppler lied, it is a major plot point.
I point to numerous instances and you reject them all. I could go so far as to quote the Official Complete Works, but those I'm tenuous about including since from what I hear, they're admit their canonicity is somewhat dubious. But here's some more quotes:

X8 (Zero's confrontration with Sigma):
Sigma: The moment your virus entered my system, the seed had been planted.

Megaman Zero 2:
Computer: (MAVERICK WARS) - The Maverick Wars was started by the Sigma virus, which terrified the world. Eventually the Maverick Wars turned into everyone misusing the power of the Cyber-elves. Thanks to X, the evil Cyber-elves have been deleted. No further information can be found.
Lucky wrote:Doppler was using mind control to remove free will from the Reploids. Maverick behavior is simply a matter of reploids not having to follow the three laws of robotics like Dr. Light era robots.
Maverick behaviour is any criminal behaviour in reploids, though what that entails ranges from game to game and reploid to reploid. But for the most part, before the Zero series, it involved violence or at least perceived violence.

As for Doppler, the reports in the manual state that the treatment was a placebo, not that he secretly took them over.
Lucky wrote:X4
There is no virus or program effecting Repliforce beyond their own programing.
Never claimed there was. One of the points I was trying to make was that the Repliforce incident would help engender a sense of distrust in reploids because that one couldn't be blamed on viruses.
Lucky wrote:X5
Sigma is a singular entity, and never possessed anyone. He is also not a computer program
This is probably going to be ignored too, but:

X5 (X playthrough):
Zero: ...I'm okay. Just a bit of a bruised ego. Anyway, where is Sigma?

X: He took off. Alia is looking for him now, but she can't pick up any readings.

Zero: He is a virus... ... he can't be seen or analyzed correctly like other data. You have to feel his evil energy. That's the only way to find him.

He also tried to possess X at the end of X3, meaning he at least believed he could at that point.

And don't you claim he's a bodiless AI? How is that not considered a computer program?
Lucky wrote:X6
The Nightmares don't cause Reploids to go maverick. It creates something completely new
I'm pretty they're considered mavericks due to the term's broad applicability and the fact that they start attacking you when seconds before they were yelling for help.
Lucky wrote:You're claiming that robots that take in information the same way humans do are absurdly prone to getting viruses that turn them into killing machines, and that the humans who build them are giving them weapons. That isn't simply foolish, it doesn't make sense.
Lots of reploids are able to find or build their own weapons and upgrade themselves. Grizzly Slash was an arms dealer. Meanwhile, these are the same humans who were willing to build New Generation Reploids even after the old ones did their rebellion, against the advise of those who had studied their history.
Lucky wrote:You don't seem to understand my point. The energy Sigma released in X5 and Nightmare in X6 weren't factors in causing Maverick behavior at any other time. Heck, they only cover a few weeks at most.
I point you to my quote earlier from Megaman Zero 2. It took the development of the Mother Elf to finally get the viruses under control.
Lucky wrote:And yet no Maverick shown is randomly destroying things. Dr. Light realized X could choose to kill humans if he wanted to, and that is why X was put through 30 years of psychological testing.
The various mavericks in X5, after their infection seem pretty willing to throw down after rambling insanely.

X5 (Zero playthrough):
(If Zero doesn't need the Energy Cartridge)
Squid Adler: HA HA HA HAAAA!! ANOTHER FISH HAS BEEN TRAPPED!! I'M A MAVERICK HUNTER! I'LL RETIRE YOU.

Remember, this is the same Squid Adler who quit the Maverick Hunters because he disliked how they were doing things.

And as Mr. Oragahn points out, in X4 in Zero's cutscene, Zero hears someone pop in, and immediately attacks him while goes in and out of laughing maniacally.
Lucky wrote:Forgive me, but unless it is about human size, the weapon tends to be absurdly underpowered in Mega Man. The missiles we see in Day of Sigma are rather sad.
That doesn't make the prospect of Mavericks using them to attack people any less terrifying. Plus, Sigma would go on to try and take over Final Weapon to exterminate all life on Earth in MMX4 and do a colony drop in MMX5.

X4:
Sigma: Hee hee hee. Repliforce are the fools this time! Now all that's left is to destroy Earth with the very weapon they made!

So it's not like Sigma was willing to stop with just testing X's potential. By X4, he's willing to destroy the Earth. And by X8, he's still looking to do it given his comments about destroying the Old World.
Lucky wrote:It would seem that X destroys the Rebel's production facilities at the start of MMX2, and that would mean that the Rebels had very little to start with.
Sigma's uprising still saw extensive damage to Abel City, and if left unchecked could cause even more damage.
Lucky wrote:Because X wouldn't be there, and Sigma would not be able to test Dr. Cain's beliefs about X.
That is a horrible line of reasoning from a moral standpoint. That basically means that Sigma is ready and willing to kill countless humans and reploids to test a theory, instead of exploring reploid potential on his own. It's a huge and murderous sense of entitlement.
Lucky wrote:I don't recall where Sigma ever stated he wanted to kill all humans?
MMX1 Manual
Cain's Journal June 4th:
"My worst nightmare has just come true. Sigma went maverick today and took most of the other hunters with him. His motives are unclear, but it seems that he "decided" that humans inferior and limiting the growth of the Reploids. For that reason, he decided that all humans should be eradicated."
Lucky wrote:And yet killing all humans is something Simga never seems to care about.
His actions in later MMX games disagree with you. At the very least, he's willing to let the world die for the sake of his pet projects, whether it's unleashing X's potential or Zero's, and talks about destroying and replacing the old world in X8, with humans being implicitly part of it. Admittedly, it includes Old Generation Reploids as well, but then again, that's hardly better, and is in fact worse. Also, in X4, he gloats about destroying the world with the weapon Repliforce built.

X8:
Sigma: "The plan to destroy the world you so love is finally coming to fruition!"
Lucky wrote:Maverick hunter X is a bare bones remake with added dialog. Most of the dialog is for characters who didn't speak in the original.

I fail to see how a detail like Dr. Cain dying in Day of Sigma effects everything else in the story-line. Dr. Cain is never shown in the original Mega Man X, and could be replaced by just about anyone in later games. Every version of the first Mega Man X1 contradicts the others a tiny bit.
It's not exactly bare-bones if it removes a prominent character, now is it? Or are you talking about level design?
Lucky wrote:X is a B-Ranked hunter while Sigma was at the top of the command structure, it is a chain of command thing, and a problem that the original Dr. Light/Dr. Wily robot masters had.

Storm Eagle's behavior is very human in that he is working with Sigma for what would appear to be blackmail or to try to be a moderating force in the organization. Not all Nazi in WWII thought killing Jews was the right thing for example.
Sigma is committing high treason, killing countless people for the sake of his demented pet project, and most of Sigma's followers don't act nearly as conflicted. Even if Storm Eagle was coerced, the rest of them weren't.

I'm less inclined to hate on Storm Eagle, his entry in the manual talks about how he tried to stop Sigma but was beaten and forced to work for him. Whether this forcing is blackmail, reprogramming, or some other factor is left unsaid.
Lucky wrote:A.I. in Mega Man range from super-intelligent to being what would be mentally impaired in humans, and we know that Armored Armadillo acts like a Dr. Light era robot in that he does his job no matter what.
Or, he's just a committed soldier who doesn't question orders no matter what. If you want limited AI, try those body recreations you fight in Sigma's fortress.
Lucky wrote:Sigma was never a virus that infected other robots. he has always been a singular entity.
The Sigma Virus is not Sigma in his virus form, but rather a virus named after Sigma. Sigma himself has been referred to as a virus several times.
Lucky wrote:
Mega Man X wrote: Sigma: You have won a temporary victory, X! What you destroyed was only a temporary body -- My spirit remains intact. In time I will find other bodies strong enough to do my bidding and I will return. I shall see you soon, X. Very soon...

And in X2 and X3, we see some more of that bodiless AI. Whether this is what he's always been or a new development is left to our speculations.
Lucky wrote:It is actually very similar to what Vega/M.Bison is.

Please refrain from having long quotes from other games. I am not here to discuss Street Fighter.
Lucky wrote:I would suggest you check what a sociopath is a bit more carefully., but that doesn't really matter for this topic.

Psychopath, sociopath, sadist, whatever, he was a mean son of a bitch who liked hurting people, and Sigma let him do it with impunity.
Lucky wrote:Spark mandril thinks Sigma is right as if he had a philosophical discussion with sigma
Maverick Hunter X wrote: Normal Mode

Spark Mandrill: X... You showed up.

X: Sounds like you've gone Maverick. Your time has come, Spark Mandrill!

Spark Mandrill: I'm not the smartest guy around, X. But I have a feeling that Sigma is right.

Free Play

Spark Mandrill: Do you think Commander Sigma is insane, X?

X: He's no commander. Not anymore. He's nothing but a Maverick now!

Spark Mandrill: Now, X... You never thought that maybe Sigma was right and you were wrong?

X: ...

Spark Mandrill: I don't like thinking either... Maybe we can find the answer together... In battle!

He seems to be an idiot, but Sigma seems to have given him a good enough argument as to why he should follow Sigma.

Convincing a slow-witted idiot that what you're doing is right is not that great an accomplishment. Note Spark Mandrill doesn't try to repeat any of those arguments to X and just attacks him. Meanwhile, a guy like Storm Eagle needed coercion.
Lucky wrote:
Maverick Hunter X wrote:Normal mode

X: Your antics stop here, Launch Octopus!

Launch Octopus: I only take orders from Sigma. There's no way I'll let you boss me around!

X: Face it... You've gone Maverick!

Launch Octopus: Maverick? How dare you call my artistic battle style by that name!

Free Play

X: Launch Octopus... How could you do something like this?

Launch Octopus: I am an artist, you see, X. An artist of underwater combat! But no one has recognized that fact. Not until now.

X: But Sigma recognizes that?

Launch Octopus: That's right. And now I'm fighting to create an entire world that does, too! This is a very important battle for me.

Launch Octopus is an ax crazy narcissist.
Wonderful. The kind of person who doesn't need convincing/reprogramming to join Sigma's rebellion, people. At least while he was a Maverick Hunter, he kept that kind of crazy out of the public eye.
Lucky wrote:Read or watch the ending of the first mega man X game. Sigma survives as an A.I. or a ghost in a computer, and plans to build a new body
And later he's either become a virus (as per the definitions of the X series), or he develops into one.
Lucky wrote:Dr. Doppler built an easily exploitable weakness into Sigma's otherwise indestructible body.
Easily? It's one of the harder boss battles in the series if you don't have the Z-Sabre. You might as well claim all of Sigma's final forms as having "easily exploitable weaknesses". And considering Doppler mentions he doesn't think Sigma occupied it yet, Sigma might not have had time to download his consciousness properly into the thing, and had to slot his vulnerable head into it prematurely.
Lucky wrote:Dr. Doppler just happened to have a virus that he believed would destroy Sigma's programing.
He had an anti-virus, there's a difference (he calls it a vaccine when he sacrifices himself). His most famous work (prior to coming out as a Maverick) was reploid anti-virus technology. The thing he/Zero used on Sigma was likely an extension of his life's work. He expected it to work because Sigma had become a virus, and it was designed to counter the Sigma Virus, so he likely concluded that it would also work on Sigma's virus form.

And before you go "Doppler lies" again, consider how the best lies contain an element of truth in them.
Lucky wrote:Dr. Doppler lied about the cause of Mavericks as Mavericks predate Zero's release, and Sigma going bad. Maverick behavior is explained in the intro to the first Mega Man X game.
While yes, Mavericks did exist before Zero's release (free-willed and glitched Mavericks), the numbers shot up tremendously after viruses were involved. Sigma managed to infect much of the world after the colony drop in particular.
Lucky wrote:In the end Dr. Doppler lies a lot, and most if not all believe his B.S..
He must be really good at it, seeing as how viruses were believed to be a primary factor in Maverick behaviour until roughly 100 years before the Zero series, when the Mother Elf was used to cure them. At the very least, if he lied about viruses, he lied about something that turned out to be true.

"I told them disease is caused by tiny little organisms. Can you believe those suckers fell for it?"
Lucky wrote:Doppler lies, or has no idea as to what he is talking about. This is a major plot point.
Considering the number of times viruses are mentioned in the games, the sequel series, and supplemental material, then if he was lying, he picked one that happened to be true.
Lucky wrote:Sigma is a singular entity, and can only exist in one place at a time.
You're confusing Sigma's virus form with the Sigma Virus, which I have mentioned, are separate things.
Lucky wrote:All Sigma is ever shown doing is talking. Those who have been changed by Sigma or Doppler were physically altered.
Megaman X5 disagrees with you, and so does the Zero series.
Lucky wrote:Mavericks existed before Zero's release.
Not in the same quantities.
Lucky wrote:Dr. Light clearly stated that it is a reploid's ability of free will that is the reason for Mavericks in the first Mega man X game.
And then someone else came along, built a robot powered by evil energy, and sent it into the future after X to destroy him, in all likelihood derailing most if not all of Dr. Light's intentions. Given how many times viruses are mentioned, in later games they might have intentionally retconned things so viruses became the most common source of mavericks.
Lucky wrote:DThe ability to rebel is part of the free will Dr. Light built into X and by default all Reploids.

Yes , it also means Reploids can choose to murder humans or other reploids for fun.
From X8:
(After the final story scene, a message from the late Dr. Thomas Light is shown.
Humans and robots living in harmony and equality. That was my only wish.
- Dr. Thomas Light

(Scene fades.)

He wanted them to be able to choose, yes. But he wanted them to, when presented with the choice, choose NOT to.
Lucky wrote:Doppler lies.
Stop repeating that every time Doppler's name is mentioned. Whether or not he lied is irrelevant. He was still afforded enough freedom to do his scientific work, and in recognition of that scientific work, he had a city named after him.

Meanwhile, in the Maverick Hunter X narration, it mentions how robot society grew and prospered. Doesn't really sound like slavery to me.

Maverick Hunter X:
Narrator: The age of humankind and robots working and living together had begun.

Narrator: As robot society spread and prospered, there was in increase in criminal incidents involving Reploids.
Lucky wrote:People expect Reploids to do as they are told, and not say "screw you idiot".
"Stop destroying our cities and killing people!" "No!"

There's a difference between refusing to do something because you disagree with the order, and refusing to stop murdering people.

Also, as a military, Repliforce doesn't really get to bitch about not obeying orders. That's the deal when you sign up. When the higher ups in the government that you work for tell you to cut the crap, failing to do so is a crime. And don't give me crap about them being a slave army. We know Iris and Dragoon were able to switch between the MH and Repliforce without much trouble, and there are instances of Maverick Hunters at least leaving the organization or at least the fighting (like X and Squid Adler). The Repliforce commanders stayed because they were loyal to their superiors and they probably liked the work, not because they were forced into it.
Lucky wrote:The Colonel behaves as if he feels he can not be sure he can trust X/Zero/Maverick Hunters, and X/Zero's behavior is needlessly hostile and antagonistic as if they are trying to start a fight.

X and Zero just witnessed the fall of Sky Lagoon, Repliforce were the most likely suspects, and nothing they said seemed all that unreasonable unless you buy into Colonel's dogmatic view of how soldiers are supposed to act. The closest to a threat they make is point out how Repliforce will be considered Mavericks if they leave, but that's more them warning them than them implying they're going to use some sort of personal influence to force the issue. Meanwhile, before the accusations, he acts like he and Zero at least are old friends.
Lucky wrote: And there is no evidence of this in any of the games.
They refuse to obey orders even though soldiers are supposed to obey orders (within reason of course). They start a coup because they'd rather fight and die than see their pride get wounded. They stand accused of destroying a city and what do they do? Occupy multiple cities and destroy a different city! All while building a giant kill cannon in space, and not properly securing it so that a hostile third party couldn't take it over.

I think "ineffective and potentially dangerous" is accurate unless you want to be pedantic about the use of the word "potentially".
Lucky wrote:If true then the same can be said about the Maverick hunters.
Considering the Repliforce was created to match the success of the Maverick Hunters v3, and if the effectiveness of the current iteration of the Maverick Hunters was really so low, then it must say something about Repliforce that they failed to live up to even those low standards.

And at least, when Maverick Hunters go rogue and destroy cities, the Hunters in question are declared rogue and the rest of the organization try to deal with them. When Repliforce is merely accused of destroying a city, they refuse to do anything to prove their innocence, then when that insubordination is not tolerated, they go and destroy a city on their own.
Lucky wrote:The only known field agents of the Maverick hunters during X3 are Zero and X.
So? They recalled all the other Maverick Hunters in the field during Doppler's attack. Meanwhile, we have nothing on the existence of Repliforce at this juncture.
Lucky wrote:
Mega man X 7 wrote: Narrator: Sometime in the 22nd century... Thanks to the Reploids, even the most devastated regions were set back on the road to recovery. But crimes perpetrated by "Mavericks" were on the rise. The "Maverick Hunters" was the official organization that responded to incidents involving Mavericks.

(An image of X is shown.)

Narrator: One of the veteran members, X, began having second thoughts about the group's forceful methods. He removed himself from the front lines, and instead worked to achieve more peaceful solutions.

X: Why must Reploids fight one another? I've had enough violence.

Narrator: With the Maverick Hunters crippled by X's retirement, an underground organization filled the vacuum. And thus, Red Alert, the illegal band of bounty hunters that pursued Mavericks, was born. Soon, there was not a single Reploid who had not heard of Red Alert and its charismatic leader, Red. One day, a young Reploid, and key Member of Red Aert, made the decision to leave the group. This decision would change destiny itself.
And yet, this does not prove the existence of Repliforce prior to MMXtreme 2, which takes place after X3. Meanwhile, X is said to have put down Sigma's rebellion in X1 almost by himself.

MMX2 Manual:
"Known and Mega Man X, this same reploid had been primarily responsible for the elimination of the threat six months ago."

Meanwhile, X7 chronologically takes place after the events of X5, which saw most of the Maverick Hunters infected. They may have simply not been able to rebuild after the blow they took this time. Adding some admitted speculation, but X leaving the Maverick Hunters might be like that scene in Spiderman 2, where Peter's depowerment and hiatus from being Spiderman results in crime increasing 75%. X did a huge amount of the legwork in about 6 major Maverick uprisings, not counting the portables. He might have helped keep Maverick activity down just by reputation alone.
Lucky wrote:MMX1/2 Sigma guts the the Maverick Hunters
He gutted them in the first game. By the second one:

X2:
Narrator: It has been 6 months since the destruction of (Sigma) and little has changed. The Maverick revolt started by Sigma has ended, but Mega Man X and the new generation of Maverick Hunters have yet to destroy all of Sigma's followers.

The Maverick Hunters had rebuilt sufficiently that they had more Maverick Hunters, and I point to my quote above about X doing most of the work.

So, rather than relying on some external army, X more or less did it by himself.
Lucky wrote:MMX3 Doppler attacks and the only Hunters we see are X, Zero, and one traitor.
The number of Repliforce troops we see, hear about and imply is 0, while other Hunters are at least alluded to.

X3:
Maverick Hunter HQ: This is the Headquarters of Maverick Hunter. We are under attack from the Doppler force. All units return to base immediately and return fire.
Lucky wrote:MMX4 The only field agents we see in action against all of Repliforce are X and Zero.
Game logic. X and Zero may just be so bad ass they leave all the others in the dust. Admittedly, this is a weakness of the games.
Lucky wrote:It even seems that Jet Stingray even attacks the city the Maverick Hunter base is, and all they send is X or Zero on a jet bike.
What? What proof do you have that it was the city Maverick Hunter HQ was at? They could just have teleported in with the Jet Bike.
Lucky wrote:MMX5 there is a global threat, and all the Maverick Hunters send are X or Zero to retrieve eight vital items one at a time.
That's because that's all they had. The rest of the Maverick Hunters were either infected, or too weak to stand a chance against the Mavericks.

Signas: Under the influence of the Sigma Virus, a lot of Maverick Hunters have become Mavericks, and only a few hunters remain normal. Let's join forces with the rest of our brothers and complete the Enigma!

Later, at Signas' briefing:
Signas: We only have 16 hours left before the collision! We have to upgrade the Enigma before then. There are 4 Mavericks that have the devices required to enhance the Enigma. Grizzly Slash, a weapons broker. He has a Crystal Ball. Duff McWhalen, he lives in the ocean. We will have access to Hydrogen if we can secure the ocean. Squid Adler, an Ex-Mavericks Hunter. He has an Energy Cart. Izzy Glow, a Doctor of Engineering. He has a Laser Device. There are 4 other Mavericks but these 4 Mavericks are the only ones who have the devices to upgrade the Enigma. X, Zero... You are the only Maverick Hunters that can match these Mavericks. Split up so you can gather the devices! Prepare your equipment and fulfill your mission!
Lucky wrote:MMX6 takes place possibly hours after X5.
X6
Narrator: Three weeks ago... The Space Colony "Eurasia" was taken over by Sigma.

And considering most of the Maverick Hunters were infected in X5, or were too weak to fight against the threats, X was pretty much the only guy they could send who could challenge the Nightmare Investigators.

Plus, we do see a couple of Maverick Hunter field agents in the intro stage, they tell you about the opening boss.
Lucky wrote:MMX7 X leaving active duty cripples the Maverick Hunters in a time when raw numbers would matter more them raw power.
I refer you to my depleted Maverick Hunter theory from X5 from earlier, as well as my Spider Man 2 theory.
Lucky wrote:Someone other then the Maverick Hunters had to be fighting Dr. Doppler's army during X and Zero's mission to Doppler Town as the Maverick Hunters were gutted as part of Doppler's first move.
They hit Maverick Hunter headquarters, but not every Maverick Hunter was in the base at the time when Doppler's forces hit. They could have been doing the offscreen grunt work. Zero spends most of his time at MH base.

X3:

Maverick Hunter HQ: This is the Headquarters of Maverick Hunter. We are under attack from the Doppler force. All units return to base immediately and return fire.

Zero: Looks like we've swept most of the enemies out of here. I'll go back and check on headquarters. Call me if you need me. See you later, X.

Meanwhile, we still don't have any proof that Repliforce even existed at this point. The earliest chronological mentioning of Repliforce (or Reploid Force) was Megaman Xtreme 2, which near as I can tell, was after X3. Even assuming Doppler's forces were handled by another military and not just by the PCs, they might have involved a non-purely reploid army.
Lucky wrote:It would not make sense for the General to talk to Sigma after the events of X1, X2, or X3.
I had assumed that it took place just before X4 time due to Sigma having a scythe, which is his first stage boss form in X4.
Lucky wrote: From Mega Maqn X7 and Day of Sigma. Mega Man X7 show Axle kill some reploid criminals, and they seem to be dealing in rather mundane stuff that you might find a human criminal deal in. Xand Zero seem more like S.W.A.T. then standard police.
So... Axl killing some criminals while still a member of Red Alert is proof that the Maverick Hunters are a civilian police force? Even though Axl hadn't yet joined the Maverick Hunters by this point?

Axl: "I guess you've heard of Red Alert?"

Also:

Narrator: "The 'Maverick Hunters' was the official organization that responded to incidents involving Mavericks.

So, given the MH's involvement in quelling pretty much every major uprising, they're the ones to deal with Maverick behaviour from the genocidal nutcases to "mere" organized crime. They have different units to deal with different things.
Lucky wrote: Why is Double stated to be a loyal Maverick Hunter created by Dr. Cain, and yet the Maverick Hunters don't know what he can do, and he is one of Sigma's agents in the game? The information in the manual is not 100% correct for one reason or another.

The fluff text is written from an in-universe perspective. Any inaccuracies can be attributed to the characters writing it based on their knowledge. Yes, Double is a spy, but I'm guessing whatever allowed him to be a killing machine as opposed to a fat bumbler wasn't part of his original design specs, and that whoever modified him/replaced him did a very good job of hiding this.
Lucky wrote:Again, the Colonel was being perfectly reasonable while X/Zero were acting all mavericky trying to start a fight for no reason. The Colonel was simply making it clear that X/Zero was out of line and he would defend himself. Given who the Colonel's sister is X and Zero should have been more polite instead of living up to their reputation as a bunch of thugs.
Trying to start a fight? They were talking! X didn't point his arm cannon at Colonel nor did Zero have his blade drawn. And they tried to warn Colonel against taking a course of action that could have them labelled Mavericks, and Colonel responded he'd rather fight a war than be dishonoured according to their messed up definitions of honour. And Colonel never said anything about the Maverick Hunters being out of line. All he did was talk about his pride. They're the ones trying to talk Colonel down, not the other way around.
Lucky wrote:You'll notice that X/Zero agree that there are other groups besides Repliforce who have the kinds of weapons used, and they just let him go.
X gives a slight comment that could be interpreted that another such group exists (the conversation point doesn't come up with Zero), Repliforce was still the most likely suspect, and Colonel just teleports off.
Lucky wrote:Why, the Colonel told X/Zero why he was there, both parties knew of groups other then Repliforce who could have caused the event, and the Colonel stated Repliforce was not operating in the area.
Yes, Colonel says why he's there. X doesn't contradict Colonel's comment that the army responsible wasn't Repliforce, but they're still the most likely suspects since that's who was mentioned in X/Zero's mission briefing. And yes, Colonel stated that Repliforce was not operating in the area except to save Colonel's sister, but given how reploids do have a history of being subverted (whether it's by those viruses you claim don't exist, or by reprogramming), the MH would need to investigate to find out whether or not the Colonel is lying, or someone under his command might have gone renegade, or some third party might have stolen the equipment to implicate Repliforce, or it had nothing to do with Repliforce.
Lucky wrote:In response to the helpful and polite Colonel, X/Zero start making absurd demands and threatening the Colonel and Repliforce for no reason as if X/Zero had gone maverick.
They never threaten Colonel. They warn Colonel that Repliforce would be considered Maverick if they don't cooperate, but that's more like an officer telling the most likely suspect if they flee the crime scene, they'll be considered a criminal. And in response, Repliforce essentially said "bring it on", instead of trying to talk down X and Zero himself, then runs off.
Lucky wrote: Really, what do they expect The Colonel to do, give them his head? The Colonel seems to have weapons built into every part of his body save his head from
He only ever uses his sword to attack, whether it's in the fights or the cut scenes. You're thinking of General, who was not present.
Lucky wrote:Guarding the weapons. There was no sign that anything was being built.
There was that eye-looking thing in Frost Walrus's room. It looked like it was still under construction.
The gun-looking thing in Web Spider may have already been completed by the time X/Zero got there, though I'll admit there's not enough information to make a call on that one. In either case, weapons are there, and from a Maverick Hunter perspective, probably going to be used on them.

Meanwhile, they did build something:
(X playthrough)
Sigma: Hee hee hee. Repliforce are the fools this time! Now all that's left is to destroy Earth with the very weapon they made!

i.e.: That giant, heavily-armed space station with enough firepower to at the least endanger the Earth.
Lucky wrote:Shame that he was never shown attacking anything.
There's a city below, and considering Repliforce was described as having occupied several cities, they may have already established air superiority over the cowed city and thus didn't need to.
Lucky wrote:Shame that Double was one of Sigma's agents, and therefore calls into question all the information we get from the Maverick Hunters.
Iris is a experienced former Navigator given her involvement in Megaman Xtreme 2's Erasure Incident, and despite having close ties to both Zero and Colonel, doesn't dispute any of Repliforce's actions, and she even personally informs Zero about her brother's coup, calling it a coup to boot.
Lucky wrote:Given the city in question seems to be where the Maverick Hunter base is(they chased Jet Stingray down on jet bikes), I doubt it was destroyed.
Teleportation is a thing in this universe, and moving a single jetbike isn't exactly a fleet of ships. Megaman X3 has Vile teleport in on a large Ride Armor so you probably could teleport on a Ride Chaser and start moving.
Lucky wrote:Really, then why wasn't Repliforce using its weapons?
It's a supply train. Presumably, they were moving them to where they felt they needed them.
Lucky wrote:Why wasn't Repliforce attacking the Maverick Hunters? We see a bunch of Replioids just standing around talking as if nothing is going on(only to be killed by Double).
Ah yes, a frontal assault on the only military that poses a threat to you, without any inside men, at a time where they managed to rebuild sufficiently that your organization was created to match their success, and your primary goal is to withdraw from the planet. I think Repliforce are a bunch of out-of-control idiots, but I don't think they're that dumb.

Plus, those guys futzing around are doing so after most of Repliforce had left for space.
Lucky wrote:They were double agents working for Sigma just like Double. Their job was to make Repliforce look bad. Had the maverick hunters been competent at their job, X4 would have been about helping the Colonel and General root out Sigma's agents,
And if Repliforce wasn't so goddamn obstinate, maybe they would have let the Maverick Hunters do their investigation to find out about them. Instead, they stonewalled them, and considering they were already under heavy scrutiny, their insubordination was likely seen as an admission of guilt for Sky Lagoon. Furthermore, if Sigma's agents really were working for Repliforce, wouldn't they be doing as much as possible to sour Repliforce's name while Repliforce was stonewalling the Maverick Hunters in their investigation, not to mention doing everything they could to avoid getting caught? Your arguments seem to expect the Maverick Hunters to pull evidence out of thin air via psychic means since they're not allowed to investigate the most likely suspects, and then trashing them because they don't.

Edit: Oh, and that investigation you claim they should have done... may have uncovered General's high level meetings with a guy advocating armed revolution... and his subsequent failure to do anything about it.
Lucky wrote:but the Maverick Hunters
X4 wrote:Quotes from MMX4, MMX5, and MMX7
aren't known for being diplomatic.
Neither are the Mavericks. X tries multiple times to get them to surrender peacefully, and gets shot at for his efforts.

Maverick Hunter X:

X: You don't need to take orders from someone like Sigma! He's insane! Open your eyes, Armored Armadillo!

Armored Armadillo: Whether he's insane or not... It's not my place to judge him. I must obey!

X: Kuwanger... I don't want to fight an old friend like you.

Boomerang Kuwanger: You don't want to fight? Well, isn't this interesting? You're a Maverick Hunter... And Maverick Hunters are Reploids designed for fighting.
Lucky wrote:What you are suggest is that the The Maverick Hunters don't give new recruits physicals, and that Dr. Cain was curupted by Sigma, but neither makes sense.
No, I'm suggesting he got combat upgrades. They might have been done after Double got his physical (possibly even just before he left to kill X on Final Weapon), or the upgrades were so well hidden that they escaped notice.
Lucky wrote:That doesn't really change the fact that there are almost no humans featured in the Mega man series until MMZ4.
You're the one who brought up this up. And if you want to get pedantic, you can see a few in the Maverick Hunter X cutscenes, mostly of humans running for their lives.
Lucky wrote:Sigma is not a virus at any time during the X series. It is like calling Cyber-Elves Viruses.
Then why is he referred to as a virus in-setting, even after Doppler was gone? And don't say "Doppler lies", because Zero explicitly calls him one in X5.

X5:
Zero: He is a virus... ... he can't be seen or analyzed correctly like other data. You have to feel his evil energy. That's the only way to find him.

Also, the Sigma Virus is not Sigma. It's a virus named after (and possibly derived from) Sigma.
Lucky wrote:And corrupting someone does not require viruses or mind control.
But when they constantly refer to it as such, I'm going with Occam's Razor.
Lucky wrote:I have checked the manual. The manual seems to be unreliable to me. It's like it the story line in the game was changed after it was written, or they purposely put in wrong information so as to not plot twists in the game.
I take the manuals as in-universe fluff. They're not written with an omniscient narrator perspective. I'm guessing they managed to independently verify the existence of viruses, regardless of Doppler. That said, the X5 manual says "after centuries of fighting the Reploid Wars" but it still takes place in 21XX, so I'm going to say someone meant to use the word "years", or left out the words "what felt like" and flubbed it.
Lucky wrote:http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Evil_Energy
Zero, being a Wily creation, would be designed to basically eat evil energy, and thereby not go insane

X, being a Light creation, would be designed be immune to the effects of evil energy.

It's rather sad that it seems so much information was lost between the time X was sealed and X was awakened.
What is your point? I was claiming that most reploids were infected despite your claim that a large number weren't.
Lucky wrote:They are using the word virus to describe something that in many ways acts like a cyber-elf, and cyber-elves are souls.
It's funny you should say that. I've been avoiding using stuff I've heard about from the Official Complete Works books due to how unsure I am regarding their canonicity, but from what I hear from the Zero book, the Mother Elf at least was derived from the anti-bodies to the Maverick Virus in Zero's programming, so it makes sense they're closely related.

Alternatively, Cyber-Elves only superficially resemble what's going on, the way birds, bugs, and planes all fly, but in different ways. Cyber-Elves for the most part die when used, but Nightmare Viruses can leave their host after death.

X6:
Alia: But I'll tell you the real threat of the Nightmare. The Nightmare phenomena... An infected Reploid gets out of order... By inputting certain code, in fact, you can manipulate the Reploid freely. The real purpose of the Nightmare is... not to ruin Reploids, but to control Reploids... Finally: When the virus rewrites his system, the Reploid sometimes dies. A normal virus dies with its host. The Nightmare is so strong, the virus can survive after the Reploid dies. On the other hand, we don't need a special vaccine to damage it, since the energy is so strong. Deleting them may be easier than Sigma...

Or Cyber-Elves were created based on MMX virus technology, similar to the way viruses are used in gene therapy.

Doesn't change the fact that "Virus" is the in-universe terminology.
Lucky wrote:Here is the problem with claiming that maverick behavior is caused by anything connected to Zero:

1) The Maverick Hunters pre-date Zero's release.
Doesn't change anything. Free-willed and glitched (i.e.: Reploids with malfunctioning specs) Mavericks were still a concern, but it wasn't until Zero got out that things started getting particularly bad, and if the capsule Zero also contained the virus, it could have leaked it to Reploids and mechaniloids that wandered nearby.
Lucky wrote:2) Sigma was a normal Reploid until the end of X1 where he becomes a bodiless A.I. in a computer.
Depends on your definition of "normal", since X8 has him comment about being infected by Zero.

X8 (Zero's confrontration with Sigma):
Sigma: The moment your virus entered my system, the seed had been planted.
Lucky wrote:3) The Zero virus and Nightmare virus do not exist until X 5 and X6
The Sigma Virus is a different virus, and that was around since at least X3, and likely before that.

Meanwhile, I never claimed whatever Zero had spread quickly. The Sigma Virus is what's used to get mass-infections.
Lucky wrote:4) All Sigma did was verbally echo the General's concerns about the Maverick Hunter's questionable tactics and behavior. Fears that have basis in reality.
And I'm pointing out that the Repliforce's complete mishandling of the situation did not help things one bit.

Also:

X4:
Zero: General!

General: ... Zero... I was... wrong. Sigma... he blinded me to the truth...

So, General mentions how Sigma blinded him to the truth, meaning while the fears might have had some basis in reality, he himself had a great deal of responsibility on how things played out.
Mega Man X5 wrote: Grizzly Slash: Zero! Seeing you re-opens old wounds...??Zero: You should have that looked after. I don't have time for small talk. Give me the Crystal Ball...??Grizzly Slash: Why don't you do what you usually do, and force me to? You used to be a Maverick, right? That's what I heard. And, you destroyed Sigma, didn't you???Zero: What, that old story...? If you dare to try and fight me, then I accept your challenge anytime, anywhere.??Grizzly Slash: Hunters and Sigma are very similar. Very aggressive and overconfident.??Zero: What? We're nothing like that scum!??Grizzly Slash: Oh yes, you are... I'm just an arms dealer... But you... You destroy anyone who stands against you. Now I'm going to make you pay for what you did to me, Maverick Hunter!
Mega Man X7 wrote: Narrator: One of the veteran members, X, began having second thoughts about the group's forceful methods. He removed himself from the front lines, and instead worked to achieve more peaceful solutions.
The Mavericks don't exactly engage in diplomacy themselves.

Admittedly, in Day of Sigma, Zero admits that the recruitment process isn't flawless.

MHX:
Zero: Vile... Looks like he must have caused a ruckus again. I'm afraid for every kind and sensitive hunter like you, X, there always seems to be a borderline Maverick rabblerouser like Vile out there.
Lucky wrote:You can do the same thing to humans in the real world. How else do you get normal people to blow themselves up?

What the copy of Sigma that Gate created did was alter Red Alert's hardware and software, but even then Sigma could not really control Red. It is kind of like the old tails of making deals with demons for power.
Considering the turnover rate in getting reprogrammed Reploids to do that stuff, it comes across as being fairly easy if you know what you're doing. Dr. Weil managed to subvert the entire 8 Gentle Judges in fairly short order.
Lucky wrote:A reploid can choose to disobey orders, and this is a design feature rather then a flaw in their programing. It means that a reploid can engage in criminal(maverick) activity if it wants to for some reason just like a human can. Your logic is faulty as it equally applies to humans.
Humans in general don't cause nearly as much damage as the Mavericks do. X5 doesn't take place that long after the first creation of Reploids, and they're already trying to bring about the end of the world.

At the very least, all the Maverick uprisings are never done alongside humans, where unemployment/other social ills has caused misery sufficient to get everyone on board the riot train. It's always an "Us Versus Them" thing.
Lucky wrote:Why build large numbers of reploids at all? Building a superhuman slave/survent race is just asking for trouble, and Dr.Light era A.I. are more then up to the task of handling any job we see in the entire Mega Man series
Then we wouldn't have a game. Besides, I never claimed humans really thought things through in this universe. And Reploids were intended to be partners, not slaves/servants.
Lucky wrote:I'm saying that the Maverick Hunters have a very poor track record.
They've still managed to put down more Maverick uprisings than any other organization on record.
Lucky wrote:You're confusing the S.W.A.T. type guys like Zero with the majority of the Maverick hunter
A large chunk of the stuff Sigma had in the first game was from the Maverick Hunters, and the Maverick Hunter X manual had the Mavericks deployed in the South Pole (Chill Penguin), Middle East (Flame Mammoth), jungle (Sting Chameleon) and sea (Launch Octopus). If anything, you might argue that the different units handle different responsibilities, so there are police force-type guys and there are more army-esque guys. X was in the 17th Battalion, Chill Penguin was in the 13th Polar Battalion, Flame Mammoth the 4th Land Battalion, Armored Armadillo the 8th Armoured Battalion, Storm Eagle the 7th Air Squadron, Sting Chameleon the 9th Special Battalion, and Launch Octopus the 6th Armada.
Lucky wrote:They were also raised by Sigma from birth. YOu have a nature VS nurture thing going on. Remember, Axle is the prototype that Lumine was based on.
Lumine mentions that prototypes like Axl don't have the specs to go nuts like they did.

X8:
Lumine: The copy chips we new generation Reploids possess... They were derived from data from hundreds of old model Reploids. That means, of course, that Sigma was also included in the mix. Do you understand what I'm getting at here?

Axl: Copy chip? Sigma? That means that I'll go nuts like he did?

Lumine: Sorry, but prototypes like you don't have the specs to cause something like that.
Lucky wrote:Doppler used mind control, and the city was made by reploids I thought?
Regardless, nobody minded that he built the thing. It was described as a Utopia until Doppler did his uprising.
Lucky wrote:Manuals are of questionable accuracy, and given the fact we seemingly never see a human working would imply that reploids are accepted so long as they do as they are told.
No, they are accepted as long as they're not dangerous.
Lucky wrote:I don't see where it is stated any reploid joined Repliforce. they all seem to be purpose built.
Magma Dragoon post-battle speech X version:
Dragoon: ... Always... wanted... to fight... you. ... Then... he... appeared... and...

X: He appeared? Who?!

Dragoon: He told me to work for Repliforce. To goad you into fighting...

Magma Dragoon post-battle speech Zero verison:
Dragoon: ... I... wanted... to... defeat... you... Then .. he... appeared...

Zero: He? Who!?

Dragoon: ... He... told me... he'd give me power. ... only if I worked... for Repliforce.

Despite originally being a Maverick Hunter, Dragoon worked for Repliforce at some point.

Meanwhile, you don't have any quotes from the games Repliforce appear in that any of them were built to their role.
Lucky wrote:There are black market weapons dealers like Grizzly Slash, and those mercenaries all seem to be mavericks.
Red Alert wasn't considered a Maverick group until they went Maverick.
Lucky wrote:It doesn't matter when Neige is giving her monolog. She is talking about the first Reploids Dr. Cain made, Sigma's rebellion, Repliforce, etc.
And yet, she's never actually witnessed these events, and the monologue features Omega prominently while she's doing so.
Lucky wrote:YOu're ignoring Neiges monolog about how reploids were slaves during the X series.
She uses the term "partners" to describe their relationship as well, and the only comment about Reploids being forced to do anything contradicts what happened with X and Squid Adler, both Maverick Hunters who left the organization at various points (yes, Squid Adler was hunted down at one point, but that was more the Maverick Virus corrupting his systems).
Lucky wrote:When violence is the only tool available to fix a problem it will be the first tool used.
The Maverick Hunter X narrator mentions how robot society grew and prospered.
Lucky wrote:No, that was Mega man Zero.
I was referring to Gate's creations getting screwed over, but then again, going through the script, Alia mentions how he planned to get revenge on low Reploids who couldn't appreciate his ability, so that was less humans screwing him over and more other Reploids.
Lucky wrote:Repliforce never interfered with an investigation. There was no investigation on the part of the Maverick hunters.
Because Repliforce stonewalled them.
Lucky wrote:We don't know who Repliforce reported to, but it certainly was not X or Zero, and X and Zero are the only ones we see ordering Repliforce around.
The Maverick Hunters are the primary anti-Maverick force in the world. When Maverick activity is involved, they're the ones who get dispatched. The Sky Lagoon investigation was a Maverick Hunter operation, while Repliforce was only there on personal business.

X4 (X's story):
X: Has the Repliforce been occupying this area?

Colonel: What are you talking about?! I only came to save my sister.

A noble goal to be sure, and in Zero's version, offers to help afterwards, but X and Zero can't afford to trust Colonel at this point, seeing as how they just witnessed Repliforce/their equipment destroy a city.
Lucky wrote:The Maverick Hunters make a lot of absurd claims about Repliforce that don't make sense. There was no attempted coup for example
Now you're just ignoring things. Iris, Colonel's sister, who has every reason not to want the Maverick Hunters and Repliforce to kill each other, calls it a coup. Every time the Maverick Hunters tell Repliforce to call off the coup, their response is "No!", with usually some variant of "we're justified in doing this!" added, as opposed to "Coup? What the hell are you talking about?"

Zero's story:

Opening:
(Zero returns to the Maverick Hunter H.Q., and finds Iris waiting for him.)
Zero: Iris! ... What are you doing here?

Iris: My brother Colonel started the coup!

Zero: I know...

Iris: Please don't fight against him! This must be some kind of mistake!

Zero: They've occupied several cities already. As a hunter, I must stop them.

Iris: Zero...

Zero: I must go now!

By the way, notice the "occupied several cities" line, and how Iris doesn't contest this.

Web Spider:
Zero: There's still time, call off the coup!

Web Spider: No. I know where my loyalties lie.

Storm Owl:
Zero: Wait! Stop the coup!

Storm Owl: No. We're justified in doing this!

Cut Scene Duel with Zero and Colonel:
Zero: It's not too late. Stop the coup now!

Colonel: ... Never.
Lucky wrote:no attempt to conquer the sky, no cities destroyed, and no new weapons were made or used.
I will point out that Iris, after hearing how Repliforce has occupied several cities, doesn't protest any of the level summaries, and she has time to turn on the news to see what's going on while Zero's off killing her brother's troops. And I'm pretty sure it's hard to fake a city getting attacked on a scale that has been described.

And as for no new weapons:

(X playthrough)

So, instead of not making weapons, they made a weapon powerful enough to destroy the Earth. While I'm doubting they're facing Death Star-like destruction, it's probably going to leave planetary-scale devastation.
Lucky wrote: Do check what the word egotistical means. You are misusing it here.
They were willing to fight a war over their own sense of pride, getting countless people killed in the process. They value their own nonsensical sense of pride over their innocence and the lives of their eventual victims. If that's not egotistical, then it's some word in the same vein.
Lucky wrote:X and Zero are Maverick Hunters not Repliforce. it is standard practice of the Maverick Hunters to be trigger happy, rude, dangerous jackbooted thugs.
And yet every time the player characters come across anyone, they get fired on by the grunt troops first, and pretty much every Maverick boss insists on fighting you to the death while many times the player tries talking first.
Lucky wrote:This is stated as why X removes himself from active duty after X6.
And yet returns after the other characters rescue a certain number of reploids, suggesting that diplomacy isn't working either.
Lucky wrote:Conversely Repliforce was polite,
Colonel refused to come in for questioning and only cited pride as his excuse. This is even worse in the Zero playthough considering Zero just saved his sister and Colonel said he owed him one.
Lucky wrote:only fired in self defense,
Yes, I'm sure that city Jet Stingray decimated (actual word used) had it coming, as did the other cities Repliforce occupied.
Lucky wrote:and smart enough to leave the planet rather then dishonor themselves with a war they didn't want to fight.
A war they provoked because they valued their pride over proving their innocence. A war they openly said they'd rather fight than have their pride wounded.
Lucky wrote: The manual is not accurate remember.
It's closer than your claims that Repliforce did all the grunt work for Sigma and Doppler's uprisings.
Lucky wrote:The Maverick Hunter assume Repliforce was attacking, but they came after the fact.
Repliforce was the most likely suspect, and they didn't do much to ease any fears that they were. Furthermore, you see all those Knot Berets (those fat robot soldiers) in the opening stage, which are only ever seen with Repliforce-related levels.
Lucky wrote:Repliforce's big evil plan was to leave Earth.
It's not their end goal that's the problem, it's how they went about it. I might have a plan to bake cookies, but if I break into the store, steal the ingredients, and murder the police officers sent to investigate, I am not spontaneously absolved of my crimes just because what I was doing it for was essentially harmless.
Lucky wrote:All the supposed crimes are lies planted by Sigma's agent,
It's kind of hard to fake an invasion and occupation of a city, let alone multiple ones. There would be newsfeeds, satellite images, and thousands if not millions of witnesses. Double would need an actual army dressed up as Repliforce, not just a blitzkrieg on a vulnerable location where most if not all the evidence will get destroyed when it comes crashing to the ground. And the fact you get the same mission statements from Iris that you do from Double tells me Double didn't have to fake a thing.
Lucky wrote:and the Maverick Hunters are drooling morons who don't investigate anything.
I think a coordinated invasion and occupation of multiple cities, including the decimation of one of them would make the news, and I'm guessing Iris, an experienced former Navigator with close ties to the Maverick Hunters through Zero and Repliforce through her brother, can read the same mission statements when you're playing as Zero, would probably think to double check whether or not he's killing all her friends under false pretences while Zero is in the level.
Lucky wrote:Actually it doesn't need to be stated verbally to be shown to be true. Neither X or Zero act as if they have the authority to order Repliforce to do anything. It is implied by the Colonel's behavior that the Maverick Hunters are nort in the chain of command.

The Maverick Hunters are the primary anti-Maverick force in the world, and not only does Colonel not say a damn thing about X/Zero's ability to order them around, he cuts off any argument about anyone else in the chain of command being able to tell them to disarm and come in peacefully. Furthermore, X/Zero was sent there, while Colonel was there on personal business. Furthermore, Colonel acts like Zero and him are old buddies.
Lucky wrote:Who "THEY" are is never explained, and irrelevant as "THEY" never take any action. "THEY" in this case is most likely the Maverick Hunters as no one else tries to order Repliforce around
X4:
General: Brave soldiers of Repliforce, we have all been wrongfully judged as Mavericks by the humans.

By the humans. Not the Maverick Hunters.
Lucky wrote:That is never stated in the game.
Repliforce never tells X/Zero that they don't answer to them either. At least I'm quoting things someone on the game design team made and put out, instead of letting my own theories colour my predispositions.
Lucky wrote:You're using a source that states Double is something he isn't remember.
The fluff-text of the manual is presented from an in-universe perspective. How Double got to be the secret killing machine he was (was heavily modified after he defected to Sigma/Sigma captured him, or Sigma created a heavily modified clone of the original, or something) doesn't change the fact that as far as anyone knew, he was built by Dr. Cain.

The Mega Man 6 manual didn't say The Mysterious Mr. X was Dr. Wily, now did it?
Lucky wrote:As portrayed in the game, Repliforce is the actual military, and Maverick Hunters are a supplemental militia. It would not make sense for the militia to be better outfitted then the real military. The Maverick Hunters only have teleportation and jet bikes.
And yet the Repliforce is meant to supplement the Maverick Hunters, not the other way around. Plus, they had the Enigma cannon, which was the only functional cannon they had left after the Sigma Virus ruined everything, suggesting they had other weapons. Also, they had the ability to launch space operations, considering they were able to follow Repliforce and try to knock out Colony Eurasia. And much of Simga's original equipment comes from stuff he commandeered for his rebellion, so at least they had at one point that kind of firepower.
Lucky wrote:You are reading way to much into that while ignoring how out of control the Maverick hunters were.
Ah yes, stopping a giant killer dragon mechaniloid from murdering random civilians, including the Colonel's own sister. They were truly out of control.
Lucky wrote:You are taking the statement out of context. He was being confronted by someone who was heavily armed and behaving in an unreasonably aggressive manner for no reason while he was polite and helpful. It only makes sense he would get defensive after a while.
A guy who just witnessed the fall of Sky Lagoon, a guy whose primary responsibility is to deal with Mavericks, who is dealing with the most likely suspects, and suspects that ran off after a handful of sentences stating entirely selfish motivations rather than a proper dialogue. Furthermore, X and Zero try to talk him down, but he just runs off.

X4 (X playthrough):

(Colonel teleports out.)

X4 (Zero playthrough):

Lucky wrote:It is very unreasonable to ask the Colonel to disarm given that unlike X and Zero he is likely pure weapons being a purpose built war machine much like Vile.
He's only ever seen attacking with his sword. Also, Zero, not a purpose-built war machine? He was created by Dr. Wily to kill X.
Lucky wrote:No X and Zero are shown playing bad cop with no good cop for no reason while the Colonel started out completely polite, reasonable and helpful, and only after being threatened repeatedly became defensive.
Threatened repeatedly? They ask them to disarm and come in for questioning, and Colonel immediately launches into his bullshit pride excuse, while X/Zero try to talk him down.
Lucky wrote:It is even stated in X4, X6, X7 that being a trigger happy ass hole is standard behavior for Maverick Hunters.
That's true for pretty much every Maverick you speak with. At least the player characters try to negotiate most of the time.
Lucky wrote:It appearing to be Repliforce, but is never confirmed to be Repliforce, and in fact is confirmed to have not been Repliforce, but the Maverick Hunters ignore this inconvenient fact.
By the time the truth had come out, Repliforce had already launched their coup, and had invaded several cities and even destroyed one. So instead of the destruction of Sky Lagoon, they're in it for the city Jet Stingray decimated and the other cities they occupied. Meanwhile, if they hadn't been so obstinate, they might have found out how Magma Dragoon was the one who planted the evidence (he was a member of Repliforce at one point, he talks about having worked for them).
Lucky wrote:Even if members of Repliforce were involved that is no reason to behave like a maverick and threaten all of Repliforce.
How exactly are they supposed to find out who did it if they're not allowed to investigate? Even if it was a rogue agent, their refusal to allow any investigation means they would be seen as harbouring the criminals responsible, and their comments don't indicate that they would be conducting their own investigation.
Lucky wrote:Since no one ever tried to contact Repliforce we can conclude that the Maverick Hunters are taking action without any higher authorization.
Or, as the primary anti-Maverick organization, the Maverick Hunters were the ones first dispatched to the scene, while Repliforce was there because of Colonel's sister and thus did not have any official authorization (they probably could have gotten it easily enough under normal circumstances, but these weren't normal circumstances). Furthermore, going through the stage from first teleporting in to meeting Colonel for the first time in-game can take less than 5 minutes.
Lucky wrote:No
Mega Man Zero4 wrote: Narrator (Neige): The Reploids... They were robots designed to look like Humans... These technical marvels were given unique personalities and were intended to be the perfect workers and the perfect partners for mankind... But... the wheels of peace between Reploids and Humans were beginning to grind to a halt.

Neige: The Reploids were well designed. Perhaps too well. Their humanity began to sow the seed of rebellion. The rebels were labeled Mavericks and feared by their Human masters... The Humans decided to pit Reploid against Reploid... That was the fate given to them. The Reploids fighting for humanity were never given a choice... Thus the war of the machines began and the humans just watched...
And yet a picture of Omega is featured prominently during this narration. A war in which Dr. Weil took control of almost the entire Reploid population using Omega and the Dark Elf.

Meanwhile, Squid Adler and X both were part of those groups of Reploids who fought against Mavericks, and were able to leave the fighting when they wanted to.

Squid Adler: Always so pushy... You haven't changed at all... I made the right choice when I resigned as a Hunter... I don't want to be a rude jerk like you.
Lucky wrote:
Mega Man Zero4 wrote:Neige: War begot war... And time passed... Even with the construction of the utopian Human city Neo Arcadia, the war dragged on... The Mavericks defeated the leader of Neo Arcadia. And now... Neo Arcadia is under the control of the criminal Dr. Weil. The former utopia is now only a shadow of its former glory. Many have started to flee the city. We are one of those groups fleeing from the clutches of Dr. Weil in our caravan...
Lucky wrote: Neige is talking about pre Neo Arcadia humans building the Reploids to use as slave labor. She is talking about Dr. Cain's time to her present. It is no different then you or i talking about slavery and civil rights struggles in the United States of America.
Even if what you say is true about her talking about early Reploid history, she wasn't exactly a witness to these events, and may be colouring them through her own biases based on what she lived through. Remember, she's commenting about things that happened over a century prior after two global catastrophes would wipe out numerous records and record keeprs. And the only ones she mentions being forced were the fighters, and as I have mentioned regarding Squid Adler and X himself, not an accurate statement.

Also, Andrew, the old-looking reploid, had multiple jobs, like a baker, a sailor, a teacher, and he speaks of these times with fondness as opposed to bitterness. He mentions how Reploids and Humans lived in harmony.