Where does Metroid: The Other M fit

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Where does Metroid: The Other M fit

Post by Lucky » Sat May 11, 2013 5:10 am

Where does Metroid: The Other M fit into the Metroid Time Line?
Metroid: Other M wrote: Samus*: Say that the Zebesians, under Ridley's influence, became super-aggressive... Would that really lead to the resurrection of the Space Pirates?

(The camera switches to different scenes of Cyborg Zebesians and empty, messy laboratories. Each camera feed is identified as "CAM" 003, 007, 012, 017, 019, 015 and 005)

Samus*: Without a malicious force to lead them down that path, wouldn't they continue to merely follow their instincts, ultimately becoming no more than a swarm of feral creatures?
Metroid: Zero Mission wrote: Planet Zebes... I called this place home once, in peaceful times, long before evil haunted the caverns below. Now, I shall finally tell the tale of my first battle here
Metroid Game Manual wrote: After a desperate search, the Federation Police have at last found the pirates' headquarters, the fortress planet Zebes, and luanched a general attack. But the pirates' resistance is strong, and the Police have been unable to take the planet
Metroid Game Manual wrote: Ridley
It's the original life form of planet Zebes and is controlled by Mother Brain.
Metroid: Zero Mission wrote: As a last resort, the Federation police decided on a risky strategy: to send a lone space hunter to penetrate the pirate base and destroy the mechanical life-form that controlled the fortress and its defenses-the Mother Brain.
Super Metroid Game Manual wrote: Space Pirate-Keyhunters
These creature are pirates from another galactic system who helped rebuild Zebes. When they lose their wings, they spit powerful acid.
Here we have a contradictions with the first Metroid game, Super Metroid, and Metroid: Zero Mission. The Pirates are not Zebesians, and they are not animals who need a computer to tell them what to do.

Metroid: Other M wrote: Samus*: It was the first joint mission I'd been a part of since becoming a freelance bounty hunter. And, of course, it was the first time since my Federation days that I was following the orders of a commanding officer.
This is a direct contradiction to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, but the Prime series is disregarded by Other M in general.
wrote: (The camera slowly moves toward a cluster of asteroids and space debris. Large blue energy particles streak through the debris, impacting several objects. A stylised human fetus is then shown within a nebulous environment. The camera zooms in on the child within, revealing it as a young Samus. As the young Samus opens her eyes, the cry of a Metroid is heard. The eyes morph into an adult Samus, wearing her Varia Suit)
Samus*: Why am I still alive?
(From Samus' point of view, she perceives an industrial environment. Her Energy Tanks are slowly recharging. The camera slowly pans away from Samus, showing her hanging in mid-air, held up by the massive infant Metroid)
Samus*: The baby...
(The colossal shape of Mother Brain - as her final boss form in Super Metroid - eventually comes into view. Mother Brain repeatedly fires at the infant Metroid. Samus' Energy Tanks continue to recharge. The infant Metroid completely restores Samus' Energy Tanks. It releases Samus and dives at Mother Brain, only to be struck by a fatal energy beam. Samus falls to the ground, reaching up to the dying Metroid. Samus hits the ground and slowly rises from the floor. The infant Metroid explodes, sending millions of particles raining down on Samus. Mother Brain advances on Samus, unaware of the danger Samus now poses)
Samus: Mother... Time to go!
(Samus prepares her Hyper Beam, intending to utterly destroy Mother Brain. The screen white-outs to the present. Samus is resting within a pristine laboratory, fitted with a respirator over her mouth. Her Varia Suit is deactivated, and her Zero Suit is visible. The respirator swings away from her mouth, and a video screen moves into position above her. A man wearing glasses appears on the video screen)
Head Quarantine Officer: OK, Samus. Everything's normal.
(Samus slowly opens her eyes)
Samus*: I awoke to the familiar voice of a quarantine officer.

Head Quarantine Officer: Let's try sitting up, huh? Slowly now.
(Samus begins to move her limbs, as though recovering from a deep sleep)
Samus*: A dream—I had been reliving the tragic moments of my recent past. Thanks to the Hyper Beam, which was given to me somehow by the baby, I laid Mother Brain to waste.
(A visual flashback is shown to the moment when Samus defeated Mother Brain. Samus' gunship rockets away from the exploding planet Zebes)
Samus*: And the explosion that followed destroyed planet Zebes, along with the remains of Mother Brain, the Space Pirates, and my long-standing nemesis, Ridley.
(Galactic Federation personnel are shown inspecting Samus' battle-damaged armour. The camera pans out from Samus' left eye, returning to the present)
Samus*: And the baby...
Super Metroid wrote: I next fought the metroids on their home world, SR388. I completely eradicated them except for a larva, which after hatching followed me like a confused child...

I personally delivered it to the Galactic research station at Ceres so the Scientists could study its energy producing qualities...

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

Satisfied that all was well, i left the station to seek a new bounty to hunt. But, I had hardly gone beyond the asteroid belt when I picked up a distress signal!

Ceres station was under attack!!
Spuer Metroid Game Manual wrote: Her final victory was against the enormous Metroid Queen. When the queen was defeated, Samus discovered a metroid egg which hatched before her eyes. Even this hardened bounty hunter could not destroy the metroid larva. When the larva sensed Samus' presence, it clung to her as though it had found its mother.

Samus packed up the metroid larva and took it with her to the Space Science Academy on the Galactic Federation Space Colony where scientists could study the creature and understand its special organic structure.
Metroid: Fusion wrote: They prposed using a Metroid cell to make an anti-X vaccine. It seems that the Federation had managed to preserve a cell culture from the last infant Metroid from SR388. The serum was prepared and injected without delay.

The X-parasites were immediately and completely destroyed.

As for me, one life ended... yet I survived, reborn as something different.

Pondering this fact, I realize... i owe the Metroid hatchling my life twice over.
Other M would have us believe that Samus had a strong emotional bond with the metroid hatchling, but Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion do not seem to show a strong emotional bond. Super Metroid seems to paint Samus as caring little for the metroid, and willing to leave the creature with people who may vivisect or do other horrible things it. Samus's actions don't seem to be those of a caring mother.

It should also be noted that Samus has also had friends and loved ones killed in front of her before as part of her basic back story, and yet never seemed to freak out.
Metroid: Other M wrote: Samus: Adam, was the Galactic Federation experimenting with bioweapons?

Adam: Looks like it.

Samus: Use of bioweapons is strictly prohibited.

Adam: Of course it is. What's happened here is illegal.

Samus: Who is Madeline Bergman?

Adam: Must be the person in charge here. Is that all you've got?

Samus*: I didn't need to press Adam about it any further. I knew his mind. Not only was he a strong opponent of bioweapons, he was against the use of living things for unnecessary reasons, period.
_-_-_-_-_-_

Survivor: You're lying! I know the Galactic Federation wants to silence everyone who knows about our work here!
Metroid: Fusion wrote:SC: It's gotten worse. The damage seems to have been caused by a creature kept here by the researchers, who named it... the Nightmare. Apparently, it was a bio-mechanical organism designed for military applications... It possesses uncommon power and can manipulate gravity. We must assume that it's become an X-host. We have no choice. You must find it and defeat it. I can't confirm the location.

Is your objective clear? Yes No.
Metroid: Fusion wrote: Samus: I'd been assigned to watch over Biologic's research team, so I once again found myself on the surface of SR388.

(Pan down a wide open landscape on SR388 to an underground chamber)
(Samus and two Federation officers enter the chamber and encounter a lone Hornoad. Samus opens fire and destroys the target with a missile. A free-floating X parasite emerges and attaches itself to Samus)
Samus: It was there that I was attacked by a life-form I had never encountered before.
SC: Samus, we're done here. Leave the rest to the Federation... We should be preparing to evacuate the station...
(Samus' portrait appears along with a speech box)
Samus: Are you joking?! Do they know how dangerous the X are? ...How quickly they reproduce?

SC: The Federation has taken an interest in the X and SA-X. They believe this life-form had endless potential applications.

Samus: This is ridiculous! The X are heartless abominations! What potential could they have?

SC: It is not necessary that you understand such matters. The Federation is coming now. You should just leave quietly...

Samus: This is madness! They won't stand a chance here! This station will devour them! What could be worth the risk!?

SC: Capturing the SA-X, of course.

Samus: ...Are you serious? Do they really think they can succeed?

SC: It will certainly be difficult. They don't expect your help. They knew you would try to destroy the SA-X... That's why they stopped sending you support data... The Plasma Beam modification was ready some time ago, but they withheld it to keep you from engaging the SA-X. Yet somehow you restored that function on your own... They also tried to withhold the Diffusion Missile upgrade because they didn't want you to grow too powerful. But they had already sent it, and you tracked it down... Bravo, Samus.

Samus: They must cancel this mission! Open a channel to HQ! I won't let this happen!

SC: They are already on their way.

Samus: Fools...
So in spite of what happened in Other M the Federation expects Samus to just walk away?

Why isn't Samus talking about the fact that biological weapons are illegal?

Why is Samus working for the Federation at all? They just tried to have her killed.

Metroid: Other M wrote: With Samus' help, Adam's team defeats a gigantic creature.
Adam uses the incident as an opportunity to ask Samus
for her aid if she'll be willing to follow his orders.
As the soldiers split up to search the area, Samus
begins on her assigned task: restoring power to the
Main Sector.
Metroid: Fusion wrote: Samus: That perfect military mind... The wisdom of Adam Malkovich continued to serve even after death. Until today, I had no idea that the minds of leaders and scientists were frequently uploaded to computers. My incredible reunion with Adam may have saved the universe...
So Adam is suppose to be a competent commander if not a military genius according to Metroid: Fusion, and Computer Adam is competent, but Other M Adam is a total idiot.

After needing all firepower his men and Samus had to defeat a single monster he plans to split his men up. In the end only one of Adam's men survived do to what amounts to dumb luck after being thrown into lava, and not being seen again until the very end.

Metroid: Zero Mission wrote: The timing of my escape couldn't have been worse. i was attacked by Space Pirates and left nearly defenseless, stripped of my Power Suit. All I had for protection was my rather useless emergency pistol. Infiltrating the Space Pirate Mother Ship so armed may have been foolish, but i had no choice... Could i survive long enough to escape?
Metroid: Fusion wrote: It then came to light that the organic components of my Power Suit had become so integrated with my system that it could not be removed while I was unconscious. Large portions of my suit had to be surgically removed, dramatically altering my physical appearance. However, the X in my central nervous system were too embedded to be removed safely. I was given a minimal chance of survival.
Other m would have us believe Samus' armor is not a physical construct, but this contradicts every other Metroid game.

Why is Samus back to her old self by the time of Metroid Fusion? PTSD and other problems like that don't go away. they aren't something you ever actually get over, and yet there is no sign of the behaviors witnessed in Other M, and to be honest, she never would have even gotten the mission in the first Metroid game had she not been mentally sound.

Metroid: Other M wrote:Samus: But in order to control Metroids, you need Mother Brain's telepathy. You don't... You didn't re-create a Mother Brain clone, did you?
(Madeline shakes her head, no)
Madeline: It's artificial intelligence.
(She looks up at Samus)
Madeline: We developed an AI program that would reproduce Mother Brain's thought processes.
(A computer representation of a brain is shown among flickering scenes of a human eye)
Madeline: We called it "MB."

Samus: But it was just a program. It wasn't the mother herself.

Madeline: MB evolved as it communicated with the Metroids. It appears as though it began to become self-aware... much like the original Mother Brain. It's really quite remarkable...
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus: That perfect military mind... The wisdom of Adam Malkovich continued to serve even after death. Until today, I had no idea that the minds of leaders and scientists were frequently uploaded to computers. My incredible reunion with Adam may have saved the universe...
Metroid Game Boy Advanced Game Manual wrote: As a last resort, the Federation Police decided on a risky strategy: to send a lone space hunter to penetrate the pirate base and destroy the mechanical life-forn that controlled the fortress and its defenses-the Mother Brain.
In spite of what Other M might say, A.I. are nothing unusual to Samus or the Federation, and Mother Brain style computers are not rare as well. They use them in security robots.
Metroid: Other M wrote: Madeline: MB was trying to get revenge on the Federation Army... and on us. It's possible all humans have become the target of her hatred.
Metroid Game Manual page 3 wrote: http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.p ... image_id=3
So Other M seems to claim that the Galactic Federation is only made up of humans in spite of the fact that Metroid always stated the Federation was a multi-species organization?

Metroid: Fusion wrote:Following the commands of this blunt, computerized CO is something I have to bear, as it was a condition of my taking the ship. For someone who dislikes taking orders, this is the second time I've found myself having to do so. It makes me recall my other CO...
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus, you shouldn't have done that. You ignored your orders. You may have to pay a price for that quite soon...
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus: Open the hatch!

SC: I have been ordered to confine you until the ships arrive.

Samus: Don't let them do this. Can't you see what will happen, Adam?

Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus: As soon as the Federation ships land, the X will overwhelm them and absorb the knowledge and power of their occupants. The X are just waiting for the hunt to begin, and then they'll spread across the universe. Galactic civilization will end.

The X hunger for form, knowledge, and power. They mimic these perfectly. But they cannot copy the soul. They're single-minded, instinctively seeking to increase in number. They're a plague, and the Federation underestimates their threat.

The X must not leave here. I must destroy them all before the Federation arrives. This station has a self-destruct mechanism. I must use it to destroy the X here and on the planet. I must send them to oblivion. Them, the station, and myself, if I have to.
Samus in Other m has no problem with following orders no matter how dangerous and stupid they are.

Samus in Fusion follows orders if she feels like it, and will do what she feels needs to be done orders be damned. She hates being told what to do.

Samus's statement about not liking to have a CO telling her what to do would imply she has not had anyone ordering her around since she left the military. This would seem to imply the Samus seen in Fusion never lived through the events of Other M. If she had, she would be comparing

Every Battle Samus has with a Ridley wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJW1KcaD80k
You'll note Samus's in Other M reaction is drastically different from every other battle. Her freezing up like that does not make sense because she never did that at any other time. The closest thing to the panic attack in Other M is the cartoon in Zero Mission, but that does not cause the same problems, does not appear in later battles.

Conclusion
Other M is suppose to take place between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, but I conclude that it takes place in an alternate timeline/universe from every other Metroid game, or is some sort of test of a Samus clone by an undefined party.

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Re: Where does Metroid: The Other M fit

Post by Enterprise E » Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 pm

You aren't the only one who thinks this. A lot of Metroid fans either disregard Metroid: Other M or state that it is in some alternate timeline, at least in their heads. I'm also with you on this one. There are too many inconsistencies in Other M compared to the rest of the Metroid series to not think that there is something up with it. In fact, I wrote a fanfic of it being a clone. It seemed like the most realistic scenario given what we know of Samus from other Metroid games.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 11, 2013 10:04 pm

Lucky wrote:Where does Metroid: The Other M fit into the Metroid Time Line?
Metroid: Other M wrote: Samus*: Say that the Zebesians, under Ridley's influence, became super-aggressive... Would that really lead to the resurrection of the Space Pirates?

(The camera switches to different scenes of Cyborg Zebesians and empty, messy laboratories. Each camera feed is identified as "CAM" 003, 007, 012, 017, 019, 015 and 005)

Samus*: Without a malicious force to lead them down that path, wouldn't they continue to merely follow their instincts, ultimately becoming no more than a swarm of feral creatures?
Metroid: Zero Mission wrote: Planet Zebes... I called this place home once, in peaceful times, long before evil haunted the caverns below. Now, I shall finally tell the tale of my first battle here
Metroid Game Manual wrote: After a desperate search, the Federation Police have at last found the pirates' headquarters, the fortress planet Zebes, and luanched a general attack. But the pirates' resistance is strong, and the Police have been unable to take the planet
Metroid Game Manual wrote: Ridley
It's the original life form of planet Zebes and is controlled by Mother Brain.
Metroid: Zero Mission wrote: As a last resort, the Federation police decided on a risky strategy: to send a lone space hunter to penetrate the pirate base and destroy the mechanical life-form that controlled the fortress and its defenses-the Mother Brain.
Super Metroid Game Manual wrote: Space Pirate-Keyhunters
These creature are pirates from another galactic system who helped rebuild Zebes. When they lose their wings, they spit powerful acid.
Here we have a contradictions with the first Metroid game, Super Metroid, and Metroid: Zero Mission. The Pirates are not Zebesians, and they are not animals who need a computer to tell them what to do.
According to MZM, Zebes was "captured" by the Space Pirates, and that during Samus' lifetime. It actually sounds like a recent affair, perhaps a dozen years tops.
The first game's manual makes it sound like Zebes, on the other hand, was totally unknown and some isolated fortress planet. It is indeed a total WTF that Zebes, a known worlds where Samus spent some time, would be worth "a desperate search".
Some would say it would be very cocky of Mother Brain, some off shot of the Aurora brains, to have decided to install itself on Zebes, but in terms of logistics, that would be a nightmare to both lead a rebel force on a known world and yet limit communication leaks so as to never let the Federation know where the SP's HQ is.
In the same game, Ridley is from Zebes. It's an "original life form" of that planet. How are the chances that Samus would have never met several Ridley-like creatures before? Not even heard in legends or cryptozoology?
Was it awaken?
The plot of MZM makes sense: launching a full frontal assault would have not only sent alarms everywhere, but it would have impractical to send a complete army inside, down to Tourian; even to Samus, some defenses around MB's lair were impenetrable and still deadly, and that was with Samus' enhanced suit.
As for SM, the Keyhunters are just one species. Pirates need not be limited to one species, really.
Also calling the cyborgs zebesian doesn't necessarily mean they cannot come from elsewhere. Like colonists (who helped rebuild Zebes precisely). Americans anyone?

Metroid: Other M wrote: Samus*: It was the first joint mission I'd been a part of since becoming a freelance bounty hunter. And, of course, it was the first time since my Federation days that I was following the orders of a commanding officer.
This is a direct contradiction to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, but the Prime series is disregarded by Other M in general.
wrote: (The camera slowly moves toward a cluster of asteroids and space debris. Large blue energy particles streak through the debris, impacting several objects. A stylised human fetus is then shown within a nebulous environment. The camera zooms in on the child within, revealing it as a young Samus. As the young Samus opens her eyes, the cry of a Metroid is heard. The eyes morph into an adult Samus, wearing her Varia Suit)
Samus*: Why am I still alive?
(From Samus' point of view, she perceives an industrial environment. Her Energy Tanks are slowly recharging. The camera slowly pans away from Samus, showing her hanging in mid-air, held up by the massive infant Metroid)
Samus*: The baby...
(The colossal shape of Mother Brain - as her final boss form in Super Metroid - eventually comes into view. Mother Brain repeatedly fires at the infant Metroid. Samus' Energy Tanks continue to recharge. The infant Metroid completely restores Samus' Energy Tanks. It releases Samus and dives at Mother Brain, only to be struck by a fatal energy beam. Samus falls to the ground, reaching up to the dying Metroid. Samus hits the ground and slowly rises from the floor. The infant Metroid explodes, sending millions of particles raining down on Samus. Mother Brain advances on Samus, unaware of the danger Samus now poses)
Samus: Mother... Time to go!
(Samus prepares her Hyper Beam, intending to utterly destroy Mother Brain. The screen white-outs to the present. Samus is resting within a pristine laboratory, fitted with a respirator over her mouth. Her Varia Suit is deactivated, and her Zero Suit is visible. The respirator swings away from her mouth, and a video screen moves into position above her. A man wearing glasses appears on the video screen)
Head Quarantine Officer: OK, Samus. Everything's normal.
(Samus slowly opens her eyes)
Samus*: I awoke to the familiar voice of a quarantine officer.??Head Quarantine Officer: Let's try sitting up, huh? Slowly now.
(Samus begins to move her limbs, as though recovering from a deep sleep)
Samus*: A dream—I had been reliving the tragic moments of my recent past. Thanks to the Hyper Beam, which was given to me somehow by the baby, I laid Mother Brain to waste.
(A visual flashback is shown to the moment when Samus defeated Mother Brain. Samus' gunship rockets away from the exploding planet Zebes)
Samus*: And the explosion that followed destroyed planet Zebes, along with the remains of Mother Brain, the Space Pirates, and my long-standing nemesis, Ridley.
(Galactic Federation personnel are shown inspecting Samus' battle-damaged armour. The camera pans out from Samus' left eye, returning to the present)
Samus*: And the baby...
Super Metroid wrote: I next fought the metroids on their home world, SR388. I completely eradicated them except for a larva, which after hatching followed me like a confused child...

I personally delivered it to the Galactic research station at Ceres so the Scientists could study its energy producing qualities...

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

Satisfied that all was well, i left the station to seek a new bounty to hunt. But, I had hardly gone beyond the asteroid belt when I picked up a distress signal!

Ceres station was under attack!!
Spuer Metroid Game Manual wrote: Her final victory was against the enormous Metroid Queen. When the queen was defeated, Samus discovered a metroid egg which hatched before her eyes. Even this hardened bounty hunter could not destroy the metroid larva. When the larva sensed Samus' presence, it clung to her as though it had found its mother.

Samus packed up the metroid larva and took it with her to the Space Science Academy on the Galactic Federation Space Colony where scientists could study the creature and understand its special organic structure.
Metroid: Fusion wrote: They prposed using a Metroid cell to make an anti-X vaccine. It seems that the Federation had managed to preserve a cell culture from the last infant Metroid from SR388. The serum was prepared and injected without delay.

The X-parasites were immediately and completely destroyed.

As for me, one life ended... yet I survived, reborn as something different.

Pondering this fact, I realize... i owe the Metroid hatchling my life twice over.
Other M would have us believe that Samus had a strong emotional bond with the metroid hatchling, but Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion do not seem to show a strong emotional bond. Super Metroid seems to paint Samus as caring little for the metroid, and willing to leave the creature with people who may vivisect or do other horrible things it. Samus's actions don't seem to be those of a caring mother.
That would hold if you picked conflicting elements, chronologically wise.
The infant's hatching came at a time when Samus nearly entirely eradicated the species, and the metroid, perhaps lacking the queen's chemicals, never grew into the reptilian form.
Even in SM, at the beginning, the plot was ambiguous. Samus, surprised by the infant's behaviour, didn't kill it and even let it come with her, despite the danger the species represented.
We can even assert that the infant would have never been dissected, since it was the last specimen. At best it would have been kept captive, and we wouldn't be told how Samus felt about that, really.
Your elements in your argument come before the infant grew to an immense non-reptilian form metroid. It was already clear in SM that some bond definitely grew between Samus and the metroid: it first through it was her mother, then later recognized her and flew away after nearly totally draining all life and energy out of Samus and her suit.
After that it comes to help her and destroy Mother Brain.

Aside from the less rounded shape and the concessions made to make the cinematic much more epic and dynamic in Other M (the infant carries Samus while in SM she was kneeling on the ground), the bond plot is certainly coming out of the blue at all.

Metroid Fusion remains rather neutral but doesn't really introduce elements that would contradict any bond. Since said bond was fairly obvious in SM, MF would have been at odds with SM if it had ignored that plot element.
In fact, the fact that she acknowledges that she owes the infant her survival twice without any side of bitter irony is perhaps a sign that she had some feelings for that creature after all.
It should also be noted that Samus has also had friends and loved ones killed in front of her before as part of her basic back story, and yet never seemed to freak out.
Which incidents in particular?
Metroid: Other M wrote: Samus: Adam, was the Galactic Federation experimenting with bioweapons???Adam: Looks like it.??Samus: Use of bioweapons is strictly prohibited.??Adam: Of course it is. What's happened here is illegal.??Samus: Who is Madeline Bergman???Adam: Must be the person in charge here. Is that all you've got???Samus*: I didn't need to press Adam about it any further. I knew his mind. Not only was he a strong opponent of bioweapons, he was against the use of living things for unnecessary reasons, period.
_-_-_-_-_-_

Survivor: You're lying! I know the Galactic Federation wants to silence everyone who knows about our work here!
Metroid: Fusion wrote:SC: It's gotten worse. The damage seems to have been caused by a creature kept here by the researchers, who named it... the Nightmare. Apparently, it was a bio-mechanical organism designed for military applications... It possesses uncommon power and can manipulate gravity. We must assume that it's become an X-host. We have no choice. You must find it and defeat it. I can't confirm the location.??Is your objective clear? Yes No.
Metroid: Fusion wrote: Samus: I'd been assigned to watch over Biologic's research team, so I once again found myself on the surface of SR388.

(Pan down a wide open landscape on SR388 to an underground chamber)
(Samus and two Federation officers enter the chamber and encounter a lone Hornoad. Samus opens fire and destroys the target with a missile. A free-floating X parasite emerges and attaches itself to Samus)
Samus: It was there that I was attacked by a life-form I had never encountered before.
SC: Samus, we're done here. Leave the rest to the Federation... We should be preparing to evacuate the station...
(Samus' portrait appears along with a speech box)
Samus: Are you joking?! Do they know how dangerous the X are? ...How quickly they reproduce???SC: The Federation has taken an interest in the X and SA-X. They believe this life-form had endless potential applications.??Samus: This is ridiculous! The X are heartless abominations! What potential could they have???SC: It is not necessary that you understand such matters. The Federation is coming now. You should just leave quietly...??Samus: This is madness! They won't stand a chance here! This station will devour them! What could be worth the risk!???SC: Capturing the SA-X, of course.??Samus: ...Are you serious? Do they really think they can succeed???SC: It will certainly be difficult. They don't expect your help. They knew you would try to destroy the SA-X... That's why they stopped sending you support data... The Plasma Beam modification was ready some time ago, but they withheld it to keep you from engaging the SA-X. Yet somehow you restored that function on your own... They also tried to withhold the Diffusion Missile upgrade because they didn't want you to grow too powerful. But they had already sent it, and you tracked it down... Bravo, Samus.??Samus: They must cancel this mission! Open a channel to HQ! I won't let this happen!??SC: They are already on their way.??Samus: Fools...
So in spite of what happened in Other M the Federation expects Samus to just walk away?

Why isn't Samus talking about the fact that biological weapons are illegal?
Perhaps because with Other M, she has already stated that point? That she doesn't seem surprised to find more secret bioweapon sections with the Federation's R&D?
Besides Fusion happens later... the Federation makes the law. It could have passed an amendment or something that changed what is legal.
Why is Samus working for the Federation at all? They just tried to have her killed.
ALL the Federation or a group inside it?
Metroid: Other M wrote: With Samus' help, Adam's team defeats a gigantic creature.?Adam uses the incident as an opportunity to ask Samus?for her aid if she'll be willing to follow his orders.?As the soldiers split up to search the area, Samus?begins on her assigned task: restoring power to the?Main Sector.
Metroid: Fusion wrote: Samus: That perfect military mind... The wisdom of Adam Malkovich continued to serve even after death. Until today, I had no idea that the minds of leaders and scientists were frequently uploaded to computers. My incredible reunion with Adam may have saved the universe...
So Adam is suppose to be a competent commander if not a military genius according to Metroid: Fusion, and Computer Adam is competent, but Other M Adam is a total idiot.

After needing all firepower his men and Samus had to defeat a single monster he plans to split his men up. In the end only one of Adam's men survived do to what amounts to dumb luck after being thrown into lava, and not being seen again until the very end.
Trouble is, they had to move on and yet we saw that some tasks were pinning down specific team members. Anchoring the whole team to each one of these men would have stopped the team from moving.
Yes, it was incredibly risky, but it didn't seem Adam had any other choice after all.
They came with a large ship but Adam himself wasn't given much help from the Federation.
It was in other words a totally shitty situation and he counted on Samus to bring the necessary firepower where it was needed.
Notice that his squad wasn't completely broken up either.
Metroid: Zero Mission wrote: The timing of my escape couldn't have been worse. i was attacked by Space Pirates and left nearly defenseless, stripped of my Power Suit. All I had for protection was my rather useless emergency pistol. Infiltrating the Space Pirate Mother Ship so armed may have been foolish, but i had no choice... Could i survive long enough to escape?
Metroid: Fusion wrote: It then came to light that the organic components of my Power Suit had become so integrated with my system that it could not be removed while I was unconscious. Large portions of my suit had to be surgically removed, dramatically altering my physical appearance. However, the X in my central nervous system were too embedded to be removed safely. I was given a minimal chance of survival.
Other m would have us believe Samus' armor is not a physical construct, but this contradicts every other Metroid game.
Why can't it be? Because Samus "summons" it from her own body? Yet all Metroid games clearly had her suit manage matter to a spacetime level that is quite beyond a mere hard physical construct.
Even Fusion points to the organic parts, and yet that doesn't even need to contradict the possibility of erecting a solid suit from functions present within Samus' body. It doesn't even say that once summoned, the suit couldn't be removed in parts.
What MF says is that Samus previously considered that her suit could be removed, even if it had organic parts.
In Other M, the suit is literally stored inside Samus and is assembled over her body.

Although being too much of a devil's advocate, it is correct that leaving the suit as a completely independant system which would be partially organically tied to Samus (like the Prometheans' suits in Ridley Scott's Prometheus) was more in line with what he generally thought of the Varia suit.
Why is Samus back to her old self by the time of Metroid Fusion? PTSD and other problems like that don't go away. they aren't something you ever actually get over, and yet there is no sign of the behaviors witnessed in Other M, and to be honest, she never would have even gotten the mission in the first Metroid game had she not been mentally sound.
Plot inconsistency. But then again look up, I pointed out one between the older games, and back then they had rachitic storylines.
Metroid: Other M wrote:Samus: But in order to control Metroids, you need Mother Brain's telepathy. You don't... You didn't re-create a Mother Brain clone, did you?
(Madeline shakes her head, no)
Madeline: It's artificial intelligence.
(She looks up at Samus)
Madeline: We developed an AI program that would reproduce Mother Brain's thought processes.
(A computer representation of a brain is shown among flickering scenes of a human eye)
Madeline: We called it "MB."??Samus: But it was just a program. It wasn't the mother herself.??Madeline: MB evolved as it communicated with the Metroids. It appears as though it began to become self-aware... much like the original Mother Brain. It's really quite remarkable...
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus: That perfect military mind... The wisdom of Adam Malkovich continued to serve even after death. Until today, I had no idea that the minds of leaders and scientists were frequently uploaded to computers. My incredible reunion with Adam may have saved the universe...
Metroid Game Boy Advanced Game Manual wrote: As a last resort, the Federation Police decided on a risky strategy: to send a lone space hunter to penetrate the pirate base and destroy the mechanical life-forn that controlled the fortress and its defenses-the Mother Brain.
In spite of what Other M might say, A.I. are nothing unusual to Samus or the Federation, and Mother Brain style computers are not rare as well. They use them in security robots.
Where does it say in OM that AIs are unusual. It just says that this specific program was limited, non sentient.
Metroid: Other M wrote: Madeline: MB was trying to get revenge on the Federation Army... and on us. It's possible all humans have become the target of her hatred.
Metroid Game Manual page 3 wrote: http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.p ... image_id=3
So Other M seems to claim that the Galactic Federation is only made up of humans in spite of the fact that Metroid always stated the Federation was a multi-species organization?
You make a non sequitur.
The sentence doesn't mean that the whole of the Federation = "us", aka humans. It could be Federation + all humans, or Federation and humans being two groups with one large portion in common.
Federation tech and scientists, in this case, were humans btw.
It can be MB's perception that is skewed that way.
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Following the commands of this blunt, computerized CO is something I have to bear, as it was a condition of my taking the ship. For someone who dislikes taking orders, this is the second time I've found myself having to do so. It makes me recall my other CO...
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus, you shouldn't have done that. You ignored your orders. You may have to pay a price for that quite soon...
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus: Open the hatch!??SC: I have been ordered to confine you until the ships arrive.??Samus: Don't let them do this. Can't you see what will happen, Adam??
Metroid: Fusion wrote:Samus: As soon as the Federation ships land, the X will overwhelm them and absorb the knowledge and power of their occupants. The X are just waiting for the hunt to begin, and then they'll spread across the universe. Galactic civilization will end.??The X hunger for form, knowledge, and power. They mimic these perfectly. But they cannot copy the soul. They're single-minded, instinctively seeking to increase in number. They're a plague, and the Federation underestimates their threat.??The X must not leave here. I must destroy them all before the Federation arrives. This station has a self-destruct mechanism. I must use it to destroy the X here and on the planet. I must send them to oblivion. Them, the station, and myself, if I have to.
Samus in Other m has no problem with following orders no matter how dangerous and stupid they are.

Samus in Fusion follows orders if she feels like it, and will do what she feels needs to be done orders be damned. She hates being told what to do.

Samus's statement about not liking to have a CO telling her what to do would imply she has not had anyone ordering her around since she left the military. This would seem to imply the Samus seen in Fusion never lived through the events of Other M. If she had, she would be comparing
She was getting orders from Adam in OM, even if they were nothing official. She was pragmatic. They had to work together, it would have been stupid in this case to go alone, especially when the lives of two persons she knew were directly concerned.
Every Battle Samus has with a Ridley wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJW1KcaD80k
You'll note Samus's in Other M reaction is drastically different from every other battle. Her freezing up like that does not make sense because she never did that at any other time. The closest thing to the panic attack in Other M is the cartoon in Zero Mission, but that does not cause the same problems, does not appear in later battles.
Let's say that she had actually been more affected by the bond with the infant metroid, and that left a scar in her related to all close family or biological relations.
Let's say that before that moment, she never had to be so afraid of losing someone, as anyone she cared about always were far away from the battlefield when Ridley manifested?
Then let's say that she indeed froze, but got over it in the end.
Then, let's finally consider that she's acquired experience and learned to know her fears even more and how to control them, so much that she can again face them better than ever.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon May 13, 2013 9:43 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: The first game's manual makes it sound like Zebes, on the other hand, was totally unknown and some isolated fortress planet. It is indeed a total WTF that Zebes, a known worlds where Samus spent some time, would be worth "a desperate search".
If the pirates are causing enough trouble you will "desperately" search for their base of operation. Zebes wasn't well known until the pirates used it as a base according to the Prime series which in this case fits with Other M as well.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Some would say it would be very cocky of Mother Brain, some off shot of the Aurora brains, to have decided to install itself on Zebes, but in terms of logistics, that would be a nightmare to both lead a rebel force on a known world and yet limit communication leaks so as to never let the Federation know where the SP's HQ is.
Which is why Mother Brain is more part of a security system, and planner then actual leader.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Also calling the cyborgs zebesian doesn't necessarily mean they cannot come from elsewhere. Like colonists (who helped rebuild Zebes precisely). Americans anyone?
It is a matter of the cyborgs being stated to be the native species while the Ridley is the alien influence.

-=-=-=-=-=-

On a more semantical note, the pirates had a tiny base, and seemingly one capital-ship with sperm shaped one man parasite craft in Zero Mission, and we see no sign of pirate civilians on Zebes. While the game manuals refer to the pirates as Zebesians it doesn't make sense as the base is seemingly a pure military base on the part of the pirates. It is like saying that because a U.S. soldier is stationed in Germany the U.S. soldier is now German.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: We can even assert that the infant would have never been dissected, since it was the last specimen. At best it would have been kept captive, and we wouldn't be told how Samus felt about that, really.
There are a lot of horrible things you can do to something that won't kill something, and you don't need a living donor to make a clone.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Your elements in your argument come before the infant grew to an immense non-reptilian form metroid. It was already clear in SM that some bond definitely grew between Samus and the metroid: it first through it was her mother, then later recognized her and flew away after nearly totally draining all life and energy out of Samus and her suit.

After that it comes to help her and destroy Mother Brain.
I'm not talking about the Metroid bonding with Samus, but Samus bonding with the Metroid in a meaningful way. There are animals who imprint on the first living thing they see as I recall. The metroid saw Samus as its kind. Imprinting can be a problem if you plan to release an animal into the wild like a condor.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Aside from the less rounded shape and the concessions made to make the cinematic much more epic and dynamic in Other M (the infant carries Samus while in SM she was kneeling on the ground), the bond plot is certainly coming out of the blue at all.
Perhaps I'm misreading what you typed, but are you agreeing that the bond came out of left field?

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Metroid Fusion remains rather neutral but doesn't really introduce elements that would contradict any bond. Since said bond was fairly obvious in SM, MF would have been at odds with SM if it had ignored that plot element.

In fact, the fact that she acknowledges that she owes the infant her survival twice without any side of bitter irony is perhaps a sign that she had some feelings for that creature after all.
The "neutrality" shown towards the baby metroid in Fusion is the contradiction.

-=-=-=-=-=-

While I don't see bitterness towards the baby metroid, I do see Samus as considering it ironic that the baby metroid help save her life twice after what she did to all the other metroids..
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Which incidents in particular?
Samu's family, and everyone else where she lived had to have been killed in order for her to be taken in by the Chozo and go grow up on Zebes. Every thing Samus knew, and everyone Samus loved was destroyed when she was a child, and we are suppose to believe the ones who did it are the pirates she fights on Zebes during the games.

If you go by Other M she saw serious combat while in the military though that is a serious contradiction as well.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Perhaps because with Other M, she has already stated that point? That she doesn't seem surprised to find more secret bioweapon sections with the Federation's R&D?
Other M was made after Fusion, and those weapons aren't suppose to exist.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Besides Fusion happens later... the Federation makes the law. It could have passed an amendment or something that changed what is legal.
1) Fusion was made before Other M even if it happens after Other M. This is one of the things that makes the anti-bioweapons bit so jarring

2) If the laws were changed then that needs to be stated, and even if the Federation can have such weapons, it should still be a shock to find them in a seemingly civilian lab if these sorts of things are rare.

Heck, the Super metroid's opening monolog implies the Federation might seek to use the metroid as weapons, but found they could be used for peaceful purposes. Samus took the metroid to the Galactic Research Station at Ceres so that scientists could study the energy producing powers of the metroids. Like weapons aren't going to come out of such research even if there are civilian applications.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYo6L78rij0
Mr. Oragahn wrote: ALL the Federation or a group inside it?
Metroid Fusion wrote: Samus: I'd been assigned to watch over Biologic's research team, so I once again found myself on the surface of SR388.
The rather large ship they had had B.S.L., and it likely stands for something like Bio Systems Laboratories. Samus should expect biological weapons/horrors being researched by such a company. SR388 isn't known for cute and cuddly creates. The only thing that seemed to live there was the metroids and other almost as nasty creatures.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Trouble is, they had to move on and yet we saw that some tasks were pinning down specific team members. Anchoring the whole team to each one of these men would have stopped the team from moving.
Yes, it was incredibly risky, but it didn't seem Adam had any other choice after all.

They came with a large ship but Adam himself wasn't given much help from the Federation.

It was in other words a totally shitty situation and he counted on Samus to bring the necessary firepower where it was needed.
Notice that his squad wasn't completely broken up either.

Adam's entire team+ Samus had a hard time with one monster. The small teams ensured his men would lack the needed firepower to survive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iGVCIL55e4

The fact he tried to carry out all his objectives when he lacked the man power, firepower, and didn't need to reflects poorly on him. The only reason things went as well as they did was Samus, an unexpected X factor that he went to extreme lengths to make as useless as possible for no reason..

There is also the fact that Adam panicked when he found out there were supposed ice resistant metroids in a lab. Samus faced such Metroids before on SR388. Adam's death was utterly pointless.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Given the Federation planned on killing everyone who was on the station one wonders why Adam was sent at all? They knew enough to place a deleter on his team, and that means they could have just ordered him not to go.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Why can't it be? Because Samus "summons" it from her own body? Yet all Metroid games clearly had her suit manage matter to a spacetime level that is quite beyond a mere hard physical construct.
Even Fusion points to the organic parts, and yet that doesn't even need to contradict the possibility of erecting a solid suit from functions present within Samus' body. It doesn't even say that once summoned, the suit couldn't be removed in parts.

What MF says is that Samus previously considered that her suit could be removed, even if it had organic parts.
Samus lost her power suit after being shot down by pirates in Zero mission. If the suit was inside Samus then she would have still had it. If Samus could summon the suit while naked then she would have had the Suit after being shot down in Zero mission.

Samus needed a new suit after the crash implying the suit had was destroyed in Samus's downed ship as Samus had not been wearing it during the crash.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: In Other M, the suit is literally stored inside Samus and is assembled over her body.
The Power Suit in Other M will at times turn into energy for no reason. No other Metroid game has the suit come off at all unless Samus wants it off, and every time it is taken off in her ship.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Although being too much of a devil's advocate, it is correct that leaving the suit as a completely independant system which would be partially organically tied to Samus (like the Prometheans' suits in Ridley Scott's Prometheus) was more in line with what he generally thought of the Varia suit.
The original Metroid game manual says Samus is a cyborg, but the GBA version manual doesn't say that, but cyborgs don' t seem all that rare in Metroid games

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Plot inconsistency. But then again look up, I pointed out one between the older games, and back then they had rachitic storylines.
Fusion is suppose to happen after Other M, and Zero Mission and Fusion aren't that old when compared to Other M

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Where does it say in OM that AIs are unusual. It just says that this specific program was limited, non sentient.
Other M wrote: Madeline: We developed an AI program that would reproduce Mother Brain's thought processes.

Madeline: We called it "MB."

Samus: But it was just a program. It wasn't the mother herself.

Madeline: MB evolved as it communicated with the Metroids. It appears as though it began to become self-aware... much like the original Mother Brain. It's really quite remarkable...
What they did was basically recreate Mother Brain by uploading a program into their big brain computer, and then are surprised when it starts to act like Mother Brain in key ways. They commonly up load people into computers this way, and those computers are just big brains in Fusion. They should not be surprised when something like this happens

Secondly, neither the Federation nor Samus have any idea when or how the first and second Mother Brains became self aware.

Thirdly, neither Samus nor the Federation have any idea as to how Mother Brain was programed even if they had some DNA and similar technology. Samus never interfaces with either Mother Brain, and the self destruct destroys everything.

Fourthly, No one knows how the Mother Brains controlled the metroids, or if they did at all. The self destructs leave nothing behind, and no one other then Samus was able to get into the base.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: You make a non sequitur.
I do not follow?

Mr. Oragahn wrote: The sentence doesn't mean that the whole of the Federation = "us", aka humans. It could be Federation + all humans, or Federation and humans being two groups with one large portion in common.
Federation tech and scientists, in this case, were humans btw.
It can be MB's perception that is skewed that way.
No one says MB is wrong in its perception of the Federation.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: She was getting orders from Adam in OM, even if they were nothing official. She was pragmatic. They had to work together, it would have been stupid in this case to go alone, especially when the lives of two persons she knew were directly concerned.
Being pragmatic is being careful when using heavy weapons. Blindly following orders to an illogical conclusions is not pragmatic. If Adam minded Samus activating some of her gear while he was taking a piss, and that in no way endangered the station because she needed it, then he has serious problem.. Adam needlessly hampered Samus and his own mission by pointlessly having Samus deactivate useful, but harmless features on her suit. Adam needed Samus's help do to being short on men and firepower, and not the other way around remember. Samus is a bounty hunter/mercinary, and not a Federatiopn Soldier.

The fact of the matter is Fusion Samus disregarded orders when ever she wanted to, and hates taking orders, but Other M Samus followed orders to such a degree that she will die before disobeying them.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Let's say that she had actually been more affected by the bond with the infant metroid, and that left a scar in her related to all close family or biological relations.
Let's say that before that moment, she never had to be so afraid of losing someone, as anyone she cared about always were far away from the battlefield when Ridley manifested?
Then let's say that she indeed froze, but got over it in the end.
Then, let's finally consider that she's acquired experience and learned to know her fears even more and how to control them, so much that she can again face them better than ever.
We can talk all we want about how the scene should have been done, but it doesn't change what was made. Samus was freaking out because of the attack that left her an orphan, and nothing else.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon May 13, 2013 10:15 am

Enterprise E wrote:You aren't the only one who thinks this. A lot of Metroid fans either disregard Metroid: Other M or state that it is in some alternate timeline, at least in their heads. I'm also with you on this one. There are too many inconsistencies in Other M compared to the rest of the Metroid series to not think that there is something up with it. In fact, I wrote a fanfic of it being a clone. It seemed like the most realistic scenario given what we know of Samus from other Metroid games.
If I missed any inconsistencies then please feel free to add. The biggest inconsistency I've noted is the difference in the monologs. Voice acting aside Other M's monologs just don't fit.

Do you have a link to the fanfic?

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Mon May 20, 2013 3:33 pm

You covered most of the ones that I remembered. It's mainly about Samus's personality and her reactions when she encountered Ridley, i.e. not freezing when facing him at all in any other game, particularly in Super Metroid at the beginning, which took place after Metroid Prime 3: Corruption when Ridley seemingly disintegrated after his final defeat.

As for the fanfic I wrote, the link is as follows:
Metroid: Other S

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue May 21, 2013 5:12 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: In Other M, the suit is literally stored inside Samus and is assembled over her body.
GUUUUUYVEEEEEEEEEEEER!

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat May 25, 2013 6:24 am

mojo wrote: GUUUUUYVEEEEEEEEEEEER!
Makes you wonder why she would run the last level of Other M in her underwear if that was true?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Lucky wrote: Makes you wonder why she would run the last level of Other M in her underwear if that was true?
Perhaps because Retardam deactivated it or he's a sadissssstic perv.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:55 pm

mojo wrote:
GUUUUUYVEEEEEEEEEEEER!
Geisha Ball Acquired

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Perhaps because Retardam deactivated it or he's a sadissssstic perv.
Adam is dead by then, and the station is about to be blown to bits with all the monsters still running around. I don't care that she went back, or that she wanted to take Adam's helmet with her, but there's no reason for her to not put her armor on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-ZquG13sI

-=-=-=-=-=-
The entire plot of the second part of Metroid: Zero mission was that her armor was destroyed with her ship.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Perhaps because Retardam deactivated it or he's a sadissssstic perv.
Adam is dead by then, and the station is about to be blown to bits with all the monsters still running around. I don't care that she went back, or that she wanted to take Adam's helmet with her, but there's no reason for her to not put her armor on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-ZquG13sI

-=-=-=-=-=-
The entire plot of the second part of Metroid: Zero mission was that her armor was destroyed with her ship.
You know even if it's stored inside her, if it's damaged once deployed, it may not be able to fold it back into its bio-slot.

Easy, Mojo. Easy.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:01 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: You know even if it's stored inside her, if it's damaged once deployed, it may not be able to fold it back into its bio-slot.
A ship being damaged in no way damages Samus.

The cut scene is about the first minute of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrXalYhEmFY, and later she gets an entirely new suit.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:47 pm

You know, I first have to finish Other M. I wanted to give it a chance because I'm a fan of the classic series (haven't touched much of Prime, I'll grab MP3C when I have time), and OM being a continuation of SM, I tented to see what could work.
But many things are broken in OM, especially the game rules. I can't see how so many players, mostly young, consider this game anywhere good.
Aiming with wiimote sucks, forced immobility in FPV sucks, zapping from 3rd view to 1st view is far from elegant, dash dodge that... throws you in the way of the enemy's course sucks, the fact that the only way to survive against so many tough bastards is just to dodge repeatedly with that boost function sucks. The way difficulty suddenly jumps an entire level against some enemies, and most of the time, but not always, this is being due to the horrible control scheme. The complete lack of exploration and the neutering of Samus through the most absurd plot trick, all that sucks as much.
Missing not so obvious duct holes to morph ball into sucks. So does the retentive pixel hunting. Level design is shit. The only thing remotely cool was the holodeck thing. How original.
If the gameplay had been stellar, I'd have excused much more from the plot, which is kinda secondary to me anyway.

The game literally sucks, I'm struggling to find courage to finish it, and that pains me, especially knowing how good it could have been. Thanks Suckamoto-san.

That said, when I'll have a bit more time, I'll continue this discussion because despite OM being a huge failure, I wouldn't be so quick to paint previous installments as being perfect or even all forming a coherent and plothole-free canvas. OK?

Oh and I discovered that the zebesian-american argument I used was exactly the one used by Suckamoto himself. At least that argument made sense.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:22 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: You know, I first have to finish Other M. I wanted to give it a chance because I'm a fan of the classic series (haven't touched much of Prime, I'll grab MP3C when I have time), and OM being a continuation of SM, I tented to see what could work.
But many things are broken in OM, especially the game rules. I can't see how so many players, mostly young, consider this game anywhere good.
Aiming with wiimote sucks, forced immobility in FPV sucks, zapping from 3rd view to 1st view is far from elegant, dash dodge that... throws you in the way of the enemy's course sucks, the fact that the only way to survive against so many tough bastards is just to dodge repeatedly with that boost function sucks. The way difficulty suddenly jumps an entire level against some enemies, and most of the time, but not always, this is being due to the horrible control scheme. The complete lack of exploration and the neutering of Samus through the most absurd plot trick, all that sucks as much.
Missing not so obvious duct holes to morph ball into sucks. So does the retentive pixel hunting. Level design is shit. The only thing remotely cool was the holodeck thing. How original.
If the gameplay had been stellar, I'd have excused much more from the plot, which is kinda secondary to me anyway.

The game literally sucks, I'm struggling to find courage to finish it, and that pains me, especially knowing how good it could have been. Thanks Suckamoto-san.

That said, when I'll have a bit more time, I'll continue this discussion because despite OM being a huge failure, I wouldn't be so quick to paint previous installments as being perfect or even all forming a coherent and plothole-free canvas. OK?
Your review matches up rather well with the other intelligently written reviews I've seen.

The funny thing is that the battle with Mother Brain in Super Metroid would have been a reasonable reason for Samus to not have all of her gear, and it would have made so much more sense then Adam not letting Samus use weapons and armor that he let his own men use from the start.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: That said, when I'll have a bit more time, I'll continue this discussion because despite OM being a huge failure, I wouldn't be so quick to paint previous installments as being perfect or even all forming a coherent and plothole-free canvas. OK?
As Metroid, Metroid: 2 The Return of Samus, and Super Metroid all basically tell the story through game play, and only have text that recaps what has happened it is rather hard for there to be plot holes, and Metroid: Fusion is suppose to have happened after Metroid: Other M.

One must wonder why Samus would be surprised about the Metroid vaccine of the Metroid experiments in Fusion?

=-=-=-=-=-

Other M ignores the entire Prime series as if it never happened, but the Prime series is set between the events of Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid 2.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Oh and I discovered that the zebesian-american argument I used was exactly the one used by Suckamoto himself. At least that argument made sense.
It is akin to saying that a U.S. soldier stationed in Japan is Japanese, but it was that way from the first game.