United Nations Star League vs. United Federation of Planets

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: United Nations Star League vs. United Federation of Plan

Post by Khas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Also, ever since the end of the Trolloc Wars, the galaxy has been relatively peaceful. The largest battles of the Trolloc Wars were on the scale of some of the bigger 40K ground battles.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:03 am

Khas wrote:Well, for the UNSL, that was ground forces. And this was just at one battle scene. There would often be fighting over an entire planet in the Trolloc Wars. And in fact, on Tartarus, the PDF forces are currently fighting in more places, and more reinforcements are coming. This is just the initial boost.
Khas wrote:Also, ever since the end of the Trolloc Wars, the galaxy has been relatively peaceful. The largest battles of the Trolloc Wars were on the scale of some of the bigger 40K ground battles.
Well obviously it is your story and I certaintly don't claim to know what happened during the Trolloc Wars but revewing the Tartarus passage, as one of the few scraps of data we have on the ground forces of the UNSL, it seemed rather straightforward:
Gabriel Angelos was impressed. It wasn't often an army like the one before him was assembled for duty. Most of the time, planetary assault forces tended to be small, designed for quickly capturing key parts on a planet. A few hundred MACOs, a couple dozen Asha'man, a handfull of Blood Raves or Space Wolves, and a few tanks and 'Mechs tended to get the job done most of the time, and generally were sufficient to fend off ground raids, or put down rebellions. However, this was not one of those times. Tartarus was facing a full invasion by Trollocs, and the Star League government obviously wasn't taking any chances. Before him stood a force comprised of two thousand MACOs, one thousand Asha'man, his own Blood Ravens Third Company - a hundred men strong - , several hundred tanks of various designs, and over a hundred BattleMechs, ranging from small and light ones like Firestarters to heavy and powerful Mad Cats and Atlases and even three of the superheavy Ares-class Mechs. The soldiers around him bore a wide and ferocious variety of weapons. Phaser, bolter, tetryon, and flame rifles for the most part, but there were also some who carried photon grenade launchers, isomagnetic disintegrators, and even chainswords - the famous (or infamous, depending on your views of combat) sword-chainsaw hybrids - for close combat. This was a force whose like hadn't been deployed since the Trolloc Wars. It was one meant to take a planet back quickly, one who's sheer might would crush almost all who stood in its way.
PDFs obviously wouldn't be included in such calculations, nor presumbly the deployed artillery cited elsewhere, through they are of a highly variable nature and invariably of inferior quality to the MACO's.
And when they would arrive, the payoff would be immense. While the Blood Ravens and Space Wolves were the Star League's super-soldiers, the MACOs outnumbered them ten thousand to one. And each MACO was worth ten normal PDF troops, both in their training, and in their equipment.
As a point of interest we should note the PDF were losing in the only observed battle on Tartarus and were in such disarray Lt. Riley appears oblivious to the possibility of other Trolloc engagments elsewhere on the planet, convinced the total destruction of the "paltry force" which was assaulting his position was the total threat:
"Ground forces, sir?" Riley asked. "But the Trollocs have been defeated!" Gabriel turned to face the Lieutenant.

"This was only a paltry force. The Trollocs will return, and in greater numbers." Angelos ran back to the other Blood Ravens standing near the pile of Trolloc corpses. "Brothers, let us purge this Trolloc filth!"
Khas wrote:As for TFC, meh, I'm not that big a "furry" fan either. I just happen to have a bit of a soft spot for it in particular since A: I didn't know what furries were when I first found it, and B: It had a much better story than many other sites at the time (back in '06).

I also included it because Praeothmin is a former member.
Well I certaintly have no issue with you using the TFC, I simply have nothing to contribute in that regard.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:25 am

It's true that most planetary assault forces are small. However, this is because most worlds surrender when starships enter orbit, out of fear of having their crusts blasted away. Assault forces are usually sent in on those missions where starships CAN'T do something, like if they need to capture a place, if planetary defenses are formidable, or if it hasn't already been handled by the PDF troops and law enforcement.

The Trolloc Wars changed all that. Here was an enemy that posed a massive threat, attacked many heavily populated worlds, and lives only for violence. Much like Orks. So, a thousand or more troops is large for a Pre- and Post- Trolloc War assault force. Troops would often beam down while the space battles were still raging on. Trollocs like to get up close and personal in combat, as well as attack major population centers, so orbital bombardment is largely out of the question.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I was on TFC only because the stories appealed to me, as it was a balanced view on SW vs ST, and while I was never a true Furry fan, I loved their storytelling...

I tended to stay away from threads that were too "furried"... :)

Also, I don't need costumes, as I am furry by nature... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Those are honestly the same reasons why I would often pop a look at TFC, myself. It was actually TFC that inspired me to take my own whacks at writing big fanfics, so, I guess you could say, TFC is partially responsible for FPE's existence. I'd written fanfics before that, but they were all small, covering a page or two of paper, at most. Like the fanfic I wrote when I was 6 (Back in '97), "Trek Wars", where, somehow, the Enterprise-A met up with the Enterprise-D, and they both got sent to the galaxy far far away to help the Rebels.

And besides, better the Furry Conflict than the Furby Conflict, I always say.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:08 pm

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:48 pm

forgive my total ignorance of your story, i'm not much for fanfic, but in your story, can the evas fight for more than five seconds without being plugged into a giant wall socket? as much as i love evangelion (SO MUCH) that has always seemed like a pretty damn humongous weakness for a fighting robot to have. why didn't the angels just cut the damn power cord? and wouldn't starfleet instantaneously be like, 'hey, is that a fucking POWER CORD? SERIOUSLY? tell somebody to cut that and see what happens.'
*ten minutes later*
'HOLY FUCKING SHIT. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!'
/derail

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:48 pm

The Evas have built-in power-sources in this fanfic. They aren't reliant on the power cords.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 am

Khas wrote:The Evas have built-in power-sources in this fanfic. They aren't reliant on the power cords.
well thank christ for that.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed May 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Hey Breetai, what are your takes on this idea?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu May 09, 2013 8:00 am

Khas wrote:Hey Breetai, what are your takes on this idea?

I'll write a reply to Sonofccns fanfics tomorrow if I have the time..and might Borrow Gendo if you don't mind it

I've alluded to the situation in the tides verse, the UFP, the Voth and the Devore are all more or less allies controlling most of the Delta quadrant, (the kremin leaders were enslaved by S31 using modified versions of the scorpion brain monsters from conspiracy and between its wars and formerly being a Klingon puppet they are essentially meat used by all sides) the UFP also started colonizing the Andromeda Galaxy and what's left of the Kelvin Empire has joined the UFP in exchange for the right to settle pieces of Borg space and escape the irradiated parts of their galaxy (UFP's been fixing this but it'll be awhile) The Klingon Empire controls a huge chunk of it too

the Dominions expanding into the SW galaxy and has been conquering large tracks of the Unknown regions and they have been colonizing the large Magellanic cloud (and are about to run into the Klingons and Gorn here so whoops) and the lesser Magellanic cloud is divided between a local power The Voth and the UFP

all three powers have a lot of industry and power but the UFP is the most technologically advanced second only to the Voth, they have the tougher ships and the ones that can last longer (Klingons have nastier weaponry )

the problem is all three nations and their allies/puppets states went from being regional powers to cosmic super powers over night without much time to adjust

can they bring a sickening amount of power to bear in battle? Industry all of that? Yes oh yes...

but it would mean leaving entire sections of their realms unprotected for months/years while they build up to compensate and when you are surrounded by dozens to hundreds of minor powers that are envious/weary of you..well shit goes down you could end up fighting the UNS and a hundred other people at the same time..plus the Klingons or the Dominion

or the Voth might get pissed off at their retarded younger brothers(they'll call humans that in the story when they feature lol) feuding and attack both the UNS and the UFP and try and force them to the table..to keep the peace because in my story they mostly function as grumpy old people pissed off at their twenty something neighbors and their wild parties

and due to the over extension of their terrain and the fact that their entire infrastructure/economy and culture still adapting...they're more likely to lose

or maybe stalemate I guess at best they can drive the UNS out and hold the line and make attacks on UNS turf that exhaust both sides until the Feds can force the League to come to the table- but i doubt that everyone is stretched to the limit of what they can hold without collapsing completely for the foreseeable future

that's about it...could the league actually invade Fed space Khas you know your shit better than anyone?

edit- Vi'retess considered the loss of all of their forces at Ord and Malastare to be acceptable losses in light of the fact that his goal wasn't to conquer the entire rim but obliterate the Empires forces there and make them look like cowards abandoning their planets- While the Imperial forces were done for, Dominion ships made a push into the expansion region- despite the horrendous losses they took

anyone reread the last battles of the MR lately? How many ships did both sides have fighting in orbit of those worlds?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:anyone reread the last battles of the MR lately? How many ships did both sides have fighting in orbit of those worlds?
Doing a quick search this is what I found in terms of fleet numbers.
He looked back at the large clock that was counting down 72 hours left until the zero mark. His eyes darted back to space as he began to see dozens of vessels exiting hyperspace then hundreds soon close to six thousand imperial vessels of various models and eras entered into the seen
The above the gathering of assets for Tharangar's "horny krayt dragon" assault plan.
No sooner had he said that, then a series of large vessels exited hyperspace hundreds and then a thousand, there was a brief half second pause just long enough for Iyun to blind and then space turned green as thousands and thousands of turbo laser bolts saturated the sky!
An estimate for one of the battles of the above plan.
The silhouette of an Imperial star destroyer lumbered into view backed up by older star destroyers and a hundred frigates of various classes it proudly patrolled the outer section of Bright Jewell
Four class II star destroyers six class I’s and over four hundred other vessels began moving forward from orbit around Ord Mantell towards Gamma near them one Lucre hulk and a dozen Venators moved forward backed up by thirty Munificent class vessels began to lumber towards the Listari
Examples on the distrubtion and demography of the Imperial Navy.
What! How many!’ he didn’t need to ask he looked up at out the viewing windows and paled thousands and thousands of those bugs swarming out towards his group near him stood a younger man on the comm.
The Haydon floating along as alarms went off all around the command Center Rennek his uniform half button his hair soaking wet tore off into the command center ‘what’s going on!”

“Dominion ships in system sir!! They’re moving fast”

“How many!”

‘Over fifteen thousand sir”
Dominion forces for Bright Jewel and Ord Mantell respectfully.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:mostly function as grumpy old people pissed off at their twenty something neighbors and their wild parties
Klingons: "Are you fucking crazy? Go back in the house."

Voth: "Yeah? I blow a hole in your face and then I go in the house... and I sleep like a baby. You can count on that. We used to stack fucks like you five feet high in the Delta Quadrant... use ya for sandbags."

:)

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu May 09, 2013 6:27 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:anyone reread the last battles of the MR lately? How many ships did both sides have fighting in orbit of those worlds?
Doing a quick search this is what I found in terms of fleet numbers.
He looked back at the large clock that was counting down 72 hours left until the zero mark. His eyes darted back to space as he began to see dozens of vessels exiting hyperspace then hundreds soon close to six thousand imperial vessels of various models and eras entered into the seen
The above the gathering of assets for Tharangar's "horny krayt dragon" assault plan.
No sooner had he said that, then a series of large vessels exited hyperspace hundreds and then a thousand, there was a brief half second pause just long enough for Iyun to blind and then space turned green as thousands and thousands of turbo laser bolts saturated the sky!
An estimate for one of the battles of the above plan.
The silhouette of an Imperial star destroyer lumbered into view backed up by older star destroyers and a hundred frigates of various classes it proudly patrolled the outer section of Bright Jewell
Four class II star destroyers six class I’s and over four hundred other vessels began moving forward from orbit around Ord Mantell towards Gamma near them one Lucre hulk and a dozen Venators moved forward backed up by thirty Munificent class vessels began to lumber towards the Listari
Examples on the distrubtion and demography of the Imperial Navy.
What! How many!’ he didn’t need to ask he looked up at out the viewing windows and paled thousands and thousands of those bugs swarming out towards his group near him stood a younger man on the comm.
The Haydon floating along as alarms went off all around the command Center Rennek his uniform half button his hair soaking wet tore off into the command center ‘what’s going on!”

“Dominion ships in system sir!! They’re moving fast”

“How many!”

‘Over fifteen thousand sir”
Dominion forces for Bright Jewel and Ord Mantell respectfully.
thank you....also you guys have been carrying the section man I wanna thank you for months of sustained quality reading material

Khas fleet numbers don't have to be that big they just have to be easily replaceable to choke the big three

lol Horny Krayt Dragon plan
Praeothmin wrote:
Klingons: "Are you fucking crazy? Go back in the house."

Voth: "Yeah? I blow a hole in your face and then I go in the house... and I sleep like a baby. You can count on that. We used to stack fucks like you five feet high in the Delta Quadrant... use ya for sandbags."

:)
do you mind if I use that? That's just a hilarious mental picture

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Go ahead, I stole it from Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino"... :)