Hadley Hope force sub

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Hadley Hope force sub

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:32 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:But if you remember the scene, the creature that actually tried to get inside the APC surprised them all.
Sure but it still essentially charged inside the APC and had absolutely no way of knowing what it would find. It simply was not an ambush like say with Drake.
Considering that it's a bag of nasty acid and is very strong, if the xenomorph had gotten in the APC, it could have only been worse for the humans. Nevermind if there was some super duper android with mega muscles.
They're still supposed to attack at some point, not just hiss.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Keyword is suggest. Hudson made that comment because of how fast the bullets were going down. Yet the creatures were actually strafing the guns, sort of. If they had really been "wall to wall", it would have been hugely obvious when we got to see the respective corridors around command center. There was that other darker and narrower corridor which may have not allowed the xenomorphs to draw fire and yet dodge most of it. But the point being that when they could do so, they did.
Now they're not tactical super geniuses either, but for the typical swarm monster from the 80s, that's impressive.
Well unless I'm massively misremembering they put the sentry guns in service shafts leading to the command center they hunkered down in. I don't think we see those passages again.

Further we do have Hudson's comment, we have the few scenes of the corridors where we see Xenomorphs being blown to bits, we have the fact that C and D gun held their position which they wouldn't have if the Xenomorphs were just teasing the guns. There is simply no clear evidence supporting your supposition. At best you have one piece of circumstansial evidence, the lack of damage, to my three equally valid bits.
We saw a very few xenomorphs killed onscreen. They were not pulverized but were cut in half. No matter what, it would leave a very noticeable mess on the floor, especially if there had been that many xenomorphs killed in the same way.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Oh boy, the complete disconnection to the Force. Even if we assume it's everywhere in the universe, those xenomorphs may be living forms without any connection to it (no midichlorians for example). They could be akin to complete "blanks".
Surely even the Sith Lord would be at unease facing these things. That would only add a layer of terror factor of them.

If the Yuuzhan Vong are anything to look at, then the xenomorphs may not be sensed by Vader at all, if they were outside the Force.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong

Here would go the imperial troopers' main advantage in the sensor department... and not only that:
Well not being able to sense them is one thing. But denying Vader his force powers would not be fair so by act of OP I'm waiving any issue with that.
OK so not being able to sense them is extremely problematic to the Imps. They don't have anything to tell them where the creatures are. Vader can't even predict anything about them.
They're fucked.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Not sure what you mean but the energy need to get inside the target still is delivered into the target no matter what. It pushes matter aside. Then the explosive detonates and leaves a hole.
What I mean is simple. If the explosive tip is use to "cut" a hole through armor ala some kind of shaped charge meant to maximize piercing the slug following might zip right through its target but it can't enter and then detonate again inside the target to maximize damage.
The ammunition's explosive is fused and explodes either during penetration if the surface is too hard, or after penetration as the bullet is deformed during travel through the target.
http://uscmc.wikispaces.com/munitions#C ... Ammunition

This is not a two-stage penetrating ammunition type.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Well, we have Vasquez's and Gorman's guns. At a short distance, they were doing nothing against the body or the head of the xenos, some ricocheting with such violence that there were
Vasquez pined the head of a xeno against the wall and shot at the jaw, as well as behind and a bit above, several times, and that got it down.
Vasquez handgun through, at close range, did kill the creature. Its really only Gorman's shots which suggested imperviousness, or that Gorman is a crummy shot, and it does run into slight issues with Requiem, as you noted, where Earth weapons are reasonbly effective in downing Xenomorphs.
I don't think Gorman is a crummy shot. The bullets ricochet on the shoulders and the head of the creature. It's that at a sufficient angle, the bullets were deflected. A around 90°, they penetrated at least the softer areas on the head, at literal point blank range.

I didn't know we could use the AVP material. I don't pay attention to that particular spin off series. I limit myself to the four Alien movies and now the prequels, started with Prometheus.
I don't remember Requiem well, aside from the fact that the facehuggers were quite pesky.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:His squad's mission is to get rid of the xenomorphs. Even Ripley couldn't be sure that they were all killed by the blast. She just hoped that they all were inside the atmospheric reactor's range.
Heck, any creature moving around the bowels of the colony's hab sector wouldn't even be remotely hurt.
I'm not sure I follow. No where in the movie did it suggest anything would be standing. I know the Colonial Marine game suggested most of the colony survived intact but as far as I know that isn't Canon.
The movie doesn't try to suggest anything beside that the blast largely leveled the whole complex. The problem being that 40 megatons won't magically destroy underground sections. The surface will be completely wrecked though.
There's still the "Derelict", the Engineer's ship crashed some long distance away, full of eggs and other nasty things.
The colonial compound blowing up in case of internal damage caused to the AP isn't even the question here. The question is if Vader has a mission to cleanse the colonial compound or find every possible xenomorph on the planet.
I suppose, for the sake of this debate, that it should be limited to the most simple mission.
However, I said earlier on in this post that I still consider them magnificently screwed.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Hadley Hope force sub

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:01 am