Worf versus the Doctor

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Isn't it funny how the Doctor has never shown these abilities before or really since, even in extreme crisis where they would be needed the most?
-Mike
I don't really give a damn, I'm just pointing out something you seemed to miss.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:17 pm

Chill. You pointed it out. My point still remains the same. So far some of what has been pointed out for the Doctor is Deus Ex Machina powers, and this falls into this catagory. We've seen and heard far more times that Klingons, in particular Worf, has far greater strength than normal humans. Speaking of door smashing, Worf in his primal form from "Genesis" smashing through a door in a similar manner:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/display ... 70&pos=347

Only here there's no hinges to pop off.
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:55 pm

Narsil wrote:You don't even address my points, you confuse the issue and meander around them, or in certain cases you clearly ignore them or lie about them.
What I've been doing is analyzing them. I haven't meandered around anything.
Address the following;
-Doctor's incredible strength
Fine. Superstrength. I admit it.
Yes, regeneration. Always on the flashy side, especially with the 9-10 conversion.
This one duplicates the video above.
If I remember my timelord lore, not all mental/physical/knowledge traits are carried over in their entirety between each regeneration. The best we have to go with so far is the Sycoraxx example. He seems to be doing better in his 10th incarnation than in that example. However, we just aired the first of the 2 parter that deals with the Doctor having changed into human and he forgets. There might be later examples in the season that have him weilding something that could indicate sword skill.
Same as above, but a lot of those moves seem to be easily replicated if he watched martial art movies, since timelords have a certain amount of superstrength. So, some basic military style basics in hand-to-hand wouldn't be out of the question for most incarnations.
Possibly a funky extension of his seemingly time manipulation via psychic powers that we saw back during the 9th Doctor?
Narsil wrote:
(does the Doctor still regenerate if Worf cuts his head off, or chops him up into chunky salsa?).
Yes, actually.
Don't timelords have only a limited number of regenerations? If so, Worf could keep killing him till he had no more.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:04 pm

Don't timelords have only a limited number of regenerations? If so, Worf could keep killing him till he had no more.
Not anymore they don't. It was hinted at in the EU that the regenerations were enforced by a bit of background data in the Eye of Harmony or some other such Time Lord gadget. However, said item doesn't exist anymore, and the BBC FAQ states that the Doctor has an indefinite number of regenerations since the Time War.

This does indicate that the Doctor probably cannot be killed in any sort of conventional manner.
If I remember my timelord lore, not all mental/physical/knowledge traits are carried over in their entirety between each regeneration. The best we have to go with so far is the Sycoraxx example. He seems to be doing better in his 10th incarnation than in that example. However, we just aired the first of the 2 parter that deals with the Doctor having changed into human and he forgets. There might be later examples in the season that have him weilding something that could indicate sword skill.
Well, the entire season has aired, and gone, in the UK. There's nothing more on his swordfighting skills.
Possibly a funky extension of his seemingly time manipulation via psychic powers that we saw back during the 9th Doctor?
He tapped into the archangel network, effectively chanelling existing psionic energy. But he has done similar things in the past, including the examples seen in the Shakespeare Code, the Girl in the Fireplace, Battlefield and Survival in all of which he established the capacity for touch-telepathy.
Same as above, but a lot of those moves seem to be easily replicated if he watched martial art movies, since timelords have a certain amount of superstrength. So, some basic military style basics in hand-to-hand wouldn't be out of the question for most incarnations.
He was stated to be a master of Venusian Aikido and Venusian Karate, not your ordinary run-of-the-mill 'watches karate movies' character.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:04 pm

Narsil wrote:
(does the Doctor still regenerate if Worf cuts his head off, or chops him up into chunky salsa?).
Yes, actually.

I always got a laugh out of how many missed opportunities the Doctor's various nemesis' of the week lost when they failed to just sit around and keep killing the Doctor over and over as he went through each regeneration. ;-)
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:05 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I always got a laugh out of how many missed opportunities the Doctor's various nemesis' of the week lost when they failed to just sit around and keep killing the Doctor over and over as he went through each incarnation. ;-)
Well, since he won't ever run out of them, and each regeneration displays a certain adaptation to the scenario at hand, they'd be fucked after the first, really.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Unless he pulls the same kind of trick that the Master did, or his future evil self wanted to do, he's only got 12 regenerations available to him.
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:15 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Unless he pulls the same kind of trick that the Master did, or his future evil self wanted to do, he's only got 12 regenerations available to him.
-Mike
Not necessarily
The BBC wrote:How many regenerations does the Doctor have?

Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives.
Emphasis mine.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm

Until it's offical canon, we have to assume that 12-13 are all that he has available to him. If nothing else, there is nothing stopping the Doctor's more advanced foes from placing him say, on the event horizon of a black hole for all eternity, or inside it where he can regenerate all he wants, but he's still screwed.
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:27 pm

He's usually outsmarted and beaten them by then.

If you watch The Family of Blood you'll know what I'm talking about.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:17 am

In some cases, yes. But in others, no. "The Keeper of Traken" Trilogy, for one where the Doctor is mortally wounded after his fall from the Pharos project radio telescope. What actually stopped the Master from just sitting there and killing the Doctor over and over again? Why run back to his own TARDIS? The Master is a Time Lord himself after all, should know what would happen, and how to prevent it.
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:28 am

The Master - it has been established - likes keeping the Doctor alive so he can torment him. And in case you've forgotten, that radio telescope was stormed by military personnel a second after he departed.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:31 am

That would be irrelevant, if as you say, Time Lords are so super-strong and powerful. He could have dispatched or delayed the soldiers using his TARDIS, and then killed the Doctor over and over, or stolen all of his lives.
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:33 am

They aren't bulletproof. And regeneration does open a window of opportunity for him to be captured.

EDIT:
And, technically speaking, the Master was not in a Gallifreyan body at that point in time, and being shot would have actually killed him outright due to his complete lack of regenerations
Last edited by Narsil on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:34 am

Narsil wrote:
Not anymore they don't. It was hinted at in the EU that the regenerations were enforced by a bit of background data in the Eye of Harmony or some other such Time Lord gadget. However, said item doesn't exist anymore, and the BBC FAQ states that the Doctor has an indefinite number of regenerations since the Time War.
Can you give a link to which one it's on? I can't find it.
This does indicate that the Doctor probably cannot be killed in any sort of conventional manner.
Maybe shoving him in an active volcano.
He was stated to be a master of Venusian Aikido and Venusian Karate, not your ordinary run-of-the-mill 'watches karate movies' character.
But, we don't know how much of that skill is present in the current incarnation.