Worf versus the Doctor

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Narsil
Jedi Knight

Worf versus the Doctor

Post by Narsil » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:17 am

Right, Worf, son of Mogh, enters the ring. On the other side, the Doctor in his third incarnation enters the ring. They are clothed in their typical clothing, and this is a no-holds-barred fight to the knockout or the death.

As an alternate scenario;
The Doctor is in his tenth incarnation and wielding a broadsword. Worf is wielding his bat'leth in response.

Who wins in both scenarios?

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:04 am

The Doctor. This is not a contest.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:29 pm

From what I've seen of Doctor Who, the Doctor relies on brains to win the day. He should be easily able to outsmart Worf who seems to rely on brute force to solve most of his problems.

The Doctor takes both contests.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:48 am

Cpl Kendall wrote:
From what I've seen of Doctor Who, the Doctor relies on brains to win the day. He should be easily able to outsmart Worf who seems to rely on brute force to solve most of his problems.

The Doctor takes both contests.
Except that from what I saw of the Doctor, he's not much of a fighter, in universe or out, and I truly don't see how brains will win this one in a fighting ring/arena...

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:07 am

Unless he cheats and pulls out a sonic screwdriver to screw with Worf's brains, Worf wins the hand-to-hand bout.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:13 am

And unless he's really good with that sword, Worf also wins the armed bout.

I know a lot of people don't like the Bat'Leth, but I'm not sure that most people know it was designed by a guy who praticed Kung-Fu for many years, a guy who inspired himself from chinese weapons.

It may not look functional to many, but I would not want to face an experienced Klingon who wields it.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:58 am

As for the Doctor's physical prowess;

His first form has defeated, one-on-one, an extremely strong killer android that was actually designed for the express purpose of infiltration of the Doctor's group and elimination of him and his three companions.

His third form (the one in question) was a noted martial artist and could in fact match practically anyone in a one-on-one duel. He's managed to subdue several armed opponents at once.

His fourth form showed some impressive prowess with a sword on at least two occasions in which he defeated yet another killer android and also out-matched several Italian knights of the Renaissance era. All at once, and with style at that.

His eighth form beat down a metal door with just his bare fists, just after the moment of regeneration at that, where a Time Lord is in their weakest possible state. So strength isn't really a factor, since the Doctor can probably match Worf blow-for-blow with that.

His tenth form (the other one in question) defeated one of a warrior race's very best warriors using a simple broadsword. It was actually a close fight, though, and he lost his right hand in the process... only for it to grow back just a few seconds later.

I think the Doctor's shown that he's got at least some measure of skill, and also a better-designed sword.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:40 pm

And didn't the alien warrior against the 10th Doctor fall off the edge of the ship, which ended the fight?

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:12 pm

GStone wrote:And didn't the alien warrior against the 10th Doctor fall off the edge of the ship, which ended the fight?
Erm... no, he bested it in swordfighting, after he spared its life it tried to stab him in the back. And then the Doctor threw a satsuma at the switch which detached that part of the ship.

He did win conventionally, he just didn't choose to kill his defeated opponent until the opponent wasted its one and only chance to survive. The Doctor's not big on second chances anymore.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:05 pm

From what was shown, he doesn't have that much skill with using the sword itself. There appears to be some skill, but not a lot.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:37 pm

GStone wrote:From what was shown, he doesn't have that much skill with using the sword itself. There appears to be some skill, but not a lot.
Yes but it's quite obvious that it's been a long while since you've seen the fight, or you're deliberately skewing the facts because you just, not two posts ago, tried to make it out that the fight was won because the alien fell off the ship.

And I'd like you to cite any of Worf's achievements with a Bat'leth that are oh-so impressive.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:45 pm

It has been a while, but let's look at the differences between what I said and what happened.

'Alien warrior fell off the edge.'

What happens is that part of the ship was detached, which made him fall. The Doctor still didn't win because of the swordfight itself. He did something else to win.

With a remote interface, Worf supplied the actions for Quark when he was fighting that one klingon in the holodeck. Even if you threw out the limited fighting condition Quark was in, the way Quark moved is almost exactly how Worf moved and countered/attacked the other klingon. That's one.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:50 pm

He won the swordfight and could have killed the alien then and there but gave him a second chance to live. Then the alien wastes that chance and then the Doctor uses that other method; the Doctor had already won by this point in time. You are ignoring that and thus ignoring the events as shown.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:27 pm

OF course he didn't win with the sword fighting. If he did, he'd have thrust the sword through the guy. All he did was stop the fight, gave the option, which was rejected and then, hit the thing, so the alien fell.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:41 pm

The alien was on the floor with the Doctor's sword at his throat, the Doctor had won by this point; that he decided not to kill his opponent does not mean that he didn't win. Victory doesn't always that someone dies.