Worf versus the Doctor

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:37 am

Can you give a link to which one it's on? I can't find it.
How many regenerations does the Doctor have?

Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives.
Maybe shoving him in an active volcano.
As I said, any sort of conventional matter.
But, we don't know how much of that skill is present in the current incarnation.
You may want to reread the OP;

The two scenarios were his Third form in a hand-to-hand contest with Worf, and his Tenth form in a swordfight with Worf.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:40 am

Yes, three would have the skills, but 10 might not.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:38 am

Getting back to the braodsword vs a Bat'leth, not all weapons masters throughout history have favored a broadsword styled weapon.
Many have favored the Bo, the pike, the javelin, the spear, etc...

And if the guy wielding a broadsword swings at a guy wielding the Bat'leth, the latter can use a two handed block, swing the broadsword out in a wide arc and use his two-handed grip to skewer the broadsword wielding opponent.

I'm still not convinced a broadsword is better, especially not when your opponent can come inside your reach easily, with a weapon that can be used to fight in close quarters, as seen many times in ST.

But I have to admit that at least 1 doctor incarnation had strenght that did exceed Worf's.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:12 am

Getting back to the braodsword vs a Bat'leth, not all weapons masters throughout history have favored a broadsword styled weapon.
Many have favored the Bo, the pike, the javelin, the spear, etc...
But none of them have favoured a double-bladed sword with three poorly placed handholds and an immensely short reach on it. While it is quite a decent method of defence, its method of attack leaves a lot to be desired. Especially against someone with over a thousand years' worth of survival experience.
And if the guy wielding a broadsword swings at a guy wielding the Bat'leth, the latter can use a two handed block, swing the broadsword out in a wide arc and use his two-handed grip to skewer the broadsword wielding opponent.
I'd agree if it didn't have intensely short reach, which the Doctor can easily step backwards out of the way of. That in itself is the main flaw of the bat'leth versus real world melee weapons such as the broadsword. The broadsword also has the advantage of a proper grip.
I'm still not convinced a broadsword is better, especially not when your opponent can come inside your reach easily, with a weapon that can be used to fight in close quarters, as seen many times in ST.
I'm not convinced that Worf's wrists would survive the combination of poor weapon grip and strong sword swing from the Doctor. The broadsword is a much more effective weapon as seen countless times throughout history; mainly because of its reach advantage. You don't want to get too close to your opponent unless you absolutely have to, and the Doctor has a greater amount of speed, agility and general wiriness on his side so he probably won't.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:09 am

excerpt from an interview with Dan Curry:
        • You brought a unique point of view to Star Trek, especially the Klingon aspect, was this because of the time that you spent in Thailand and the Peace Corps. ?

My studies of martial arts lead to the development of the Klingon weapons such as the bat’leth and the mek’leth. We had an episode in which Worf was to inherit an ancestral bladed weapon. The art department came up with something thar resembled a pirate’s cutlass. I felt that the Klingons should have something unique and original and I wanted to create something ergonomically sound. I have never liked movie weapons that just look coll but can’t be used. I am proud of the fact that the Korean Martial Arts Association recognized it as the first new bladed weapon of the last century that is practical.
My opinion is that one has more controll with a bat’leth.
The grips are proper and their balanced positions are a great advantage one has not with a sword. With a sword one has always to deal with the momentum of the blade.

If one grasp the bat’leth on both outer grisp, it is far more stabilized and one is easier able to withstand an attack one can not push aside anymore. That's not possible or only very difficult with a sword. With that one (who is not very strong) can't stop a direct attack but has to push it aside. If one isn't able to do it anymore, the attack will drive the own sword in oneself - or will break it.

Insofar the bat’leth has its advantages.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:56 am

I'd like it more, if it was a single handed weapon with only a single grip, so it's much smaller.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:40 pm

Maybe you would like the Mek'leth?
But you don't have to grasp the bat’leth with both hands. You can do it if there is a need for it. But - as you may have seen - it's not alway necessary and Worf has grasped it not always with both hands.

See the video "Northern Style Bat'Leth Set" from the Redmond Shaolin Kung Fu & Tai Chi Club

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:26 pm

W.I.L.G.A beat me to it.
I wanted to track down the dimensions of the Bat'leth (116cm long, BTW, equal to 4 feet in length).

If you look at the Doctor's broadsword, the lenght of the blade is no more then 3, 3 1/2 feet long, meaning he barely has the edge in reach.

BTW, I'm not arguing whether Worf would beat the Doctor or not, since I've clearly been shonw how little I knew of the Doctor.

I'm just trying to make my case for the Bat'leth vs a sword.
But with what W.I.L.G.A posted, I think there's not much to add.

Narsil, I think we will have to agree to disagree on which weapon is more practical...

But from what I've seen of the Doctor, he isn't an exceptionnal swordfighter (although he is good), but since he possesses many other powers of which I'm not aware, and he has shown (in one incarnation at least) superhuman strength, he probably should be able to beat Worf...

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:24 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:Maybe you would like the Mek'leth?
Yeah, the Mek'leth does look better.
But you don't have to grasp the bat’leth with both hands. You can do it if there is a need for it. But - as you may have seen - it's not alway necessary and Worf has grasped it not always with both hands.

See the video "Northern Style Bat'Leth Set" from the Redmond Shaolin Kung Fu & Tai Chi Club
In the form, what he did from time index 18-20 seems really weird. What feels like a better direction is not 'forward', but doing a 'sword hand' move and swinging it down and around his left side, so that the point ends is angled down and to his left on the outerside of his left leg. He takes a step and swings it that way again.

Mith
Starship Captain

Re:

Post by Mith » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:11 am

*casts necro-thread*

Rise abomination!

On a more serious note, I came across this and I wanted to clear it up for those who participated.
Narsil wrote:You don't even address my points, you confuse the issue and meander around them, or in certain cases you clearly ignore them or lie about them.

Address the following;
-Doctor's incredible strength
The Doctor does not have incredible strength. He never has, never will. This instance is simply a hold over from his Regeneration phase. Just after a Time Lord regenerates, they can use excess energy to regrow limbs or alter their physical form (if they voluntarily regenerated), and so forth.

The Doctor is not going to kick a door off its hinges. If he could, there's several scenarios where he would have used that strength to save his and his friends from almost certain doom a great deal sooner.
A Time Lord's regeneration is not unlimited. For example, in Turn Left (or was it right...?), we see an alternate timeline where the Doctor does from being drowned. That's right, apparently he drowned too quickly before he could trigger his regeneration cycle. If you can drown and fail at Regeneration...well, that doesn't bode well for someone who doesn't have a problem cutting your limbs up.

Furthermore, even if the Doctor did regenerate, a Time Lord is typically very, very vulnerable after a regeneration cycle. We've seen this countless times with the Doctor himself. His tenth incarnation for example, was completely and utterly helpless for most of a day before he was able to get up and start fighting. Even the eleventh doctor suffered a fair bit of personality problems and mental instability.

They won't be in much of a state to continue fighting against a trained opponent.
Granted.

The Doctor's psychic powers has always been limited. I can't see there being any way that he could use his latent abilities to fix a fight in his favor. There are a few instances where the Doctor has the means of using some really powerful psychic abilities, but this is very atypical. The best instance was when he used the Archangel network--and that required the latent psychic energy of most of the world's population for him to achieve what he did.