Ork Waaargh! VS ST Earth

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote: I've answered the technical parts re:plausibility in the new thread; suffice it to say that I think that it's plausible that Starfleet could, at least most of the time, put a shield between the fleet and the ground action.

Mainly, though, I posit it because it feels like the right "next thing" to happen. There are a variety of technologically plausible actions that could be taken - some perhaps more effective - but that one seems appropriate.
I've transfered my points to the new thread, no need to clutter up this thread with them.
They may well do that.
I don't see how they'll have much choice. Orkz can be very sneaky when need be.

I think they'll find them fairly quickly after the first batch of ugly Ork respawn incidents - possibly earlier, but I don't think anybody would think to look for Ork spores until afterwards.
Probably not. To be fair even the Imperium has not solved the problem of Ork spores but they have infinetly more manpower to waste then the Federation and their approach to research is best described as "primitive".

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Some new info on Ork weapons and habits has come to light via an exchange I had with a friend. On Armageddon they nuked an Ad-Mech Titan facility rather than fight the Titans head on. So the Orkz will employ nukes on Earth against targets that are hard nuts to crack.

And apperently Ork Teleporta's can be used to get to Earth from outside the system, so if the Feds want to keep Orkz from randomnly appearing in the rear they will have to keep the shield up until the Orkz are driven completely from the system.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:30 pm

Cpl Kendall wrote:Some new info on Ork weapons and habits has come to light via an exchange I had with a friend. On Armageddon they nuked an Ad-Mech Titan facility rather than fight the Titans head on. So the Orkz will employ nukes on Earth against targets that are hard nuts to crack.
While not good, that won't be hard to respond in kind. Fusion technolagy is quite mainstream in the federation, as are photon torpedos, anti-matter in general isn't to hard it seems to obtain and handle. Weshly Crusher had some for a science project so low to medium nuclear yeilds should be no problem.
Cpl Kendall wrote:And apperently Ork Teleporta's can be used to get to Earth from outside the system, so if the Feds want to keep Orkz from randomnly appearing in the rear they will have to keep the shield up until the Orkz are driven completely from the system.
That is troubling. to transport out system is a remarkable and amazing capability. It also could be one of the biggest problems against the feds. Nothing hurts worse then your rear being attacked. Through I wonder just how accurate they could be that far out.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:41 pm

sonofccn wrote: While not good, that won't be hard to respond in kind. Fusion technolagy is quite mainstream in the federation, as are photon torpedos, anti-matter in general isn't to hard it seems to obtain and handle. Weshly Crusher had some for a science project so low to medium nuclear yeilds should be no problem.
Considering that these are Orkz and they never do anything small I doubt that the weapons will be of small yield. The yield required to take out a Titan facility would have to be large just by the very nature of the Titans themselves as some of them might have active void shields and they are made of some of the toughest materials known in WH40K science.
That is troubling. to transport out system is a remarkable and amazing capability. It also could be one of the biggest problems against the feds. Nothing hurts worse then your rear being attacked. Through I wonder just how accurate they could be that far out.
Accuracy is unknown but as I noted before it's all dependent on how many Boyz there are around the telyporta to influence it's function. Lots of Boyz=good, few Boyz=bad. Plus these things are probably mounted on the equivilant of a battleship or a cruiser so there's lots of Orkz around. And their aiming at a planet so even if they miss their target their bound to cause havouc somewhere.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:27 pm

Cpl Kendall wrote:Considering that these are Orkz and they never do anything small I doubt that the weapons will be of small yield. The yield required to take out a Titan facility would have to be large just by the very nature of the Titans themselves as some of them might have active void shields and they are made of some of the toughest materials known in WH40K science.
High yeilds still should't be a real problem. A little anti-matter goes a long way. If the Orkz want to go down that road the feds can respond in kind until Earth is a barren wasteland scorched off all life. I'm just saying logicaly the federation is used to fighting people who could quite easly employ powerful tatical "nukes" so the Orkz pulling the stunt won't be so suprising or anything. It will merely make the war that much more bloody.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:14 pm

sonofccn wrote: High yeilds still should't be a real problem. A little anti-matter goes a long way. If the Orkz want to go down that road the feds can respond in kind until Earth is a barren wasteland scorched off all life. I'm just saying logicaly the federation is used to fighting people who could quite easly employ powerful tatical "nukes" so the Orkz pulling the stunt won't be so suprising or anything. It will merely make the war that much more bloody.
Well I must admit to being a little unclear as to how SF will handle being in a high radiation enviroment from nuclear detonations. This is not something I would think they encounter as part of their regular warfare as most of their weapons are "clean" but of course by this point Earth's enviroment is so fraked by the hulks and various other factors that SF will probably have to fight in enviromental suits anyways. Whether these suits provide radiation protection is unknown to me. Having spent some amount of my career as a soldier in NBC suits I can vouch that having to spend their time in enviromental suits is going to drastically affect their combat performance.