Technical Sheet: Kull Warrior

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:36 pm

From Death Kneel.
HAMMOND
Is there anything else we can use against these drones?

JACOB
Their armour is impervious to energy weapons, and regular firearms are useless.

DANIEL
What about the drones that were killed in the blast?

JACOB
Kinetic energy. An explosion of that size — they can't ignore physics.

DANIEL
Ah, so with enough kinetic energy..

JACOB
There would have to be a lot.
And we need to know how much of that was the Kull Warrior exposed to...
Nothing says the overload reached that power, and we can't know where the Kull was. We know it was caught within the radius that sent materials from the base fly over.
So we need to find out the limits of the suits material as well as its limit to protect the Kull.
Pretty tough, but we could get a minimal idea. We know that direct claymores, C4 and missiles are not that much good.
So at a distance unless firing at a crowd or a large target, only the center bolt will hit the enemy.

This is good to know.
My point was about the off-axis variance. The bolts seem to be able to go 5° clockwise or anti-clockwise.
That said, yes, the core of the bolt is what goes through the target. The rest is more of flare than anything else.
I'm sure someone could estimate the weight of the door and ballpark it, maybe even estimate how much resistance the doors mechanisms would give.
Oh, yes. Maybe using a contemporary shuttle door. Those doors are supposed to sal the ship from space. Even more, that section of the ship is supposed to fold back into the ship, like certain aspects of nano controlled Goa'uld tech does. It's quite likely that the Kull forbid the mechanism from folding the door+corridor into the ship.
Something a little more quantified, this is going to be a technical sheet for debates after all.
Not much you can do, here. Zatnikatels are really funky pieces of tech. They fire stream of particles and energy arcs that will stun, or kill an individual, but if you charge your target enough, they will undergo a chain reaction and NDF the target away, and do nothing to the surrounding environment (generally the floor).

Calcing this is pointless. You can only think in terms of volume. 3 shots can disintegrate a Jaffa and his armour. If I'm correct, bits of naqahdah are used for the armour, so this could be related to how the armour, nevermind being in contact with the floor, will dissapear, and not the floor underneath.
I mean examples.

And what's the biggest thing we've seen it make disappear?
As far as I can remember, the example above.
My take on it is that if they wanted to make a bigger object dissapear, they'd need to fire much more powerful shots, or many more, at a higher rate, to be sure that the effect doesn't fan out.

That's why walls don't disappear, even after taking many shots, because they're part of a large structure and seem to disperse the zat energy/particles.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:43 pm

OmniBack wrote:Also maybe we can get a calc, for how much electricity is needed to KO someone and how much to kill them.
50 milliamps is enough to screw up the beating of the heart (ventricular fibrillation). If this isn't corrected, without proper blood flow throughout the body, the person will die. If your concern is just generating amperage, 50 milliamps is nothing compared to the total amount given off by a single zat blast. That amount courses all over the body. 50 milliamps is a tiny tiny fraction of that. When it's up to just 25, you'll feel a lot of discomfort. At 8, it's very annoying, but not uncomfortable, unless you are overly sensitive to electric shocks. Some people are. If it gets up to over 100, you're causing a heart attack. The amps of a single zat blast can't be too much higher than 25 milliamps or you'd suffer from hypoxia, severe oxygen deficiency. At most, people wake up with bad headches and overall body pain temporarily. They are more like tasers/stun guns, but with possibly longer 'knockout' time. But, where some people can 'work through' the shock from a stun gun/taser, zats always knock people out with one shot. They only start to build a 'tolerance' with repeated shocks. They've also got distance on any taser/stun gun available today, even though the bolts are zig zagging through the air. And, unlike regular electric shocks, even 2 shots from a zat don't cause burning effects. You just die with a shitload of pain. The volts isn't high enough to cause the muscle to 'freeze' and stay in the 'locked up tension' position because as the energy is still moving around their bodies, they start to fall. People just hurt and die.

Zats have been used to both ramp up the power of a computer/get it working and stop it from happening. When SG1 went back to the 60s, Teal'C shot at the engine of a missle when they showed up in the silo with a single zat blast and it shut down the engine. But, O'Neil, when he had the Ancient's knowledge in his head a second time, had reconfigured the hyperdrive of the cargo ship and shot it with a zat blast to get the ship to exceede its normal FTL speed, possibly as a catalyst to get the reconfigured machinary to 'jump start', I guess like when you jump a dead car battery.

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Was a shield ever mentioned in the show, I though it was all the armor?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:02 pm

A shield specifically? I don't remember, but in Avatar, Teal'C and Daniel needed to find a frequency modulator chip to keep the Kull from adapting to energy weapons. And the clip from 7x11 shows differences when bullets and energy weapons hit Kull. This ripple effect plus light emission only happens when energy weapons are used against them. Plus, the ripple + light effect is the same over both the hard and fabric parts of their armor. This isn't gonna happen in a nonenergy shielding producing armor. Something like a coating that absorbs energy isn't gonna ripple or glow. Plus, you wouldn't see it on the fabric part, either. Stealth coating for real life planes doesn't ripple or emit light when it absorbs radar emissions.

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:19 pm

"The Claymore fires shrapnel, in the form of steel balls, out to about 100 meters across a 60° arc in front of the device."

So what would you say the ° is on the Kull's wrist weapon?

Also what is it firing?

Is it a packet of plasma?

Or some kind of electrical charge?

We have a rough range (any idea how high the UAV was?), but how fast are those 'projectiles' moving?

And what is the energy on impact (what's the target getting hit with)?

How much of it is thermal/DET and KE?

Thanks everyone for helping, it won't be long until this thread is finished!

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:57 pm

OmniBack wrote:"The Claymore fires shrapnel, in the form of steel balls, out to about 100 meters across a 60° arc in front of the device."

So what would you say the ° is on the Kull's wrist weapon?
I looked at the clip again and it's sitting on the forearm muscles, near the elbow, with the emission end near the wrist. It looks like there is no degree arc. Any arcing is caused by movement at the elbow when the arm is straight out.
Also what is it firing? Is it a packet of plasma? Or some kind of electrical charge?
It's probably like a staff blast in nature, which is plasma packets. It's never been said what kind of plasma though.
We have a rough range (any idea how high the UAV was?), but how fast are those 'projectiles' moving?
Over a very short distance, you can't see the bullet when you're close. The best you can do is see the flash, if you're lucky. At night and with tracer rounds and when you're far away, you've got the best chance of seeing the bullet traveling. What the kull fire is easily seen during the day and over short distances. Bullets might accelerate some when they leave the barrel, but this is over such a short distance that it really isn't that much of an issue. The slowest speed figure of a bullet I've ever see is just under 200 m/s and we aren't seeing them, unless we go frame by frame and that isn't even a certainty. What the kull fire is far far slower, like a really fast moving car.

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:11 pm

GStone wrote: I looked at the clip again and it's sitting on the forearm muscles, near the elbow, with the emission end near the wrist. It looks like there is no degree arc. Any arcing is caused by movement at the elbow when the arm is straight out.
I still don't think I'm being clear, I don't mean the arc as the plasma packet gets closer to the ground as it travels...

I mean the angle of the shot going forward.... A bullet shoots straight ahead, but the Kull's weapon fires 3 seperate packets.

One going straight and one on the left/right going at an angle.

So if say you over lapped a protractor over an above head screen shot, what would the angle of the vertex be?

It's less than 90°, but I can't tell the exact angle.

Also, how do I type "°"?

I'm tiered of C&Ping.
GStone wrote:What the kull fire is far far slower, like a really fast moving car.
Well if we can estimate the distance between the Kull and the Jaffa/SG team, and look at the time from firing to the time of impact we'll know the speed.

Any idea on the distance?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:57 pm

OmniBack wrote:I mean the angle of the shot going forward.... A bullet shoots straight ahead, but the Kull's weapon fires 3 seperate packets.
It looks horizontal to me. Any apparent different angle is explained away by a difference caused by changes at the elbow and shoulder joint of the kull.
One going straight and one on the left/right going at an angle.
I looked at the segment where he shoots at the jaffa and then, the SG people 4 times to be sure. There is a little bit of a change, but they are all caused by changes at the kull's elbow and shoulder joints. When he fires on the jaffa, we see him get off 2 shots before it switches to the jaffa getting clobbered by the kull's gauntlet blasts. With the SG people, he moves his arm around a little bit, as he's firing a half a dozen to a dozen shots before it switches to the SG people getting clobbered by the blasts.
Also, how do I type "°"? I'm tiered of C&Ping.
I never knew it was possible to type it, but I assume it is possible somehow.
GStone wrote:What the kull fire is far far slower, like a really fast moving car.
Well if we can estimate the distance between the Kull and the Jaffa/SG team, and look at the time from firing to the time of impact we'll know the speed.
I don't have anything that lets you count frames. I don't have the DVD or the episode on tape. I can download the clip, but the player I have for it won't even let it go frame by frame with even hit of the pause button to inch it along 1 frame at a time. That being said, I'd peg the distance between the kull and the jaffa when the kull fired at a minimum of 30 meters and at no more than 50 for a rough guess with it probably being closer to 30-40 range. For between the kull and the SG people, even though the kull didn't move, I'd say the SG people were probably just a bit farther. They were in the same 'arc', if you drew one around the area. But, in relation to the kull, the jaffa were practically in its path. The SG people were standing with the jaffa practically (if not literally) in front of them. That'd put them at an angle to the kull, extending the distance some.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:22 pm

If you leave me time, I may get a measurement of the UAV, and compare that to Colorado trees. :)

Any idea about the energy needed to vapourize fist sized holes in 1/2 thumb thick doors?

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:12 am

GStone wrote:I looked at the segment where he shoots at the jaffa and then, the SG people 4 times to be sure. There is a little bit of a change, but they are all caused by changes at the kull's elbow and shoulder joints. When he fires on the jaffa, we see him get off 2 shots before it switches to the jaffa getting clobbered by the kull's gauntlet blasts. With the SG people, he moves his arm around a little bit, as he's firing a half a dozen to a dozen shots before it switches to the SG people getting clobbered by the blasts.
I still don't think I'm explaining this correctly, sorry I suck at math.

Anyway, lets say that the center bolt is the vertex... and the left and right bolts are lines... if you had a protractor overlapped say looking down from the sky... and you put the center bolt in the center of the protractor, what would be the angle?

I know its less than 90°, but I'm not sure by how much.

Care to give an estimate?

GStone wrote:I don't have anything that lets you count frames. I don't have the DVD or the episode on tape. I can download the clip, but the player I have for it won't even let it go frame by frame with even hit of the pause button to inch it along 1 frame at a time. That being said, I'd peg the distance between the kull and the jaffa when the kull fired at a minimum of 30 meters and at no more than 50 for a rough guess with it probably being closer to 30-40 range. For between the kull and the SG people, even though the kull didn't move, I'd say the SG people were probably just a bit farther. They were in the same 'arc', if you drew one around the area. But, in relation to the kull, the jaffa were practically in its path. The SG people were standing with the jaffa practically (if not literally) in front of them. That'd put them at an angle to the kull, extending the distance some.
Can anyone help out with this?

Mr. Oragahn wrote:If you leave me time, I may get a measurement of the UAV, and compare that to Colorado trees. :)

Any idea about the energy needed to vapourize fist sized holes in 1/2 thumb thick doors?
Awesome, looking forward to it!

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:13 pm

OmniBack wrote:I still don't think I'm explaining this correctly, sorry I suck at math.
No, you explained it fine.
Anyway, lets say that the center bolt is the vertex... and the left and right bolts are lines... if you had a protractor overlapped say looking down from the sky... and you put the center bolt in the center of the protractor, what would be the angle?
To me, there should be no angle because the blasts are following the exact same path. Any deviation from this singular path is caused by changing the position of the shoulder and/or elbow joint ever so slightly.
Can anyone help out with this?
I don't remember if there was one overall view of the whole area from above.

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:35 pm

GStone wrote:To me, there should be no angle because the blasts are following the exact same path. Any deviation from this singular path is caused by changing the position of the shoulder and/or elbow joint ever so slightly.
Well I mean, like a shotgun.

A pistol fires one bullet in a straight line, but when a shotgun fires its ammo spreads out the farther it goes.

And that has an angle.
GStone wrote:I don't remember if there was one overall view of the whole area from above.

You're right I just watched the clip again, and each bolt stays on a straight path.

Still would you say the bolts will hit their target in a triangular pattern?

With 2" between each bolt?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Even when factoring in the twitching that happens in the arm, the variance between each shot is only gonna make a difference after long distances. Much longer than what's in the clip.

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 am

GStone wrote:Even when factoring in the twitching that happens in the arm, the variance between each shot is only gonna make a difference after long distances. Much longer than what's in the clip.
What I mean is all 3 bolts won't impact the same spot, it would be more like a triangle with 1-2" between each shot.

Example: http://www.tagishtel.ca/Watson/hightowe ... evice.html

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:59 pm

3 shot may not land in am equilateral triangular pattern. I'd liken it to 3 shots fired by a gun.