Best SciFi Space Battle

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Best SciFi Space Battle

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:04 am

What is the best space battle in a science fiction show/ film/ game? It can be a duel like ST2, or a massive battle SW6, I don't care as long as it kicks ass.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:54 pm

Best of Both Worlds is up there, as well as nearly all the space battles of the original trilogy of SW.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:05 pm

From Star Wars, it's definitely The Battle of Endor. From Star Trek, probably First Contact (though I did like The Battle of Cardassia from DS9 as well, though it'd have been nice if they hadn't had to reuse so many scenes from previous episodes). Overall, probably still The Battle of Endor. There are also some battles from B5 and BSG that I liked, but these are the main ones. And yes, I'm definitely more of a fan of "massive battles" than I am of duels.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:38 pm

Being a long time fan of anime, I would say that as far as "massive" battles are concerned, the Japanese have plenty of those that make the Battle of Endor or any of the Dominion war fleet battles pale by comparison. Some examples include:

1.) Just about any of the major fleet battles from "Crest of the Stars" and "Banner of the Stars". Literally tens of thousands to millions of ships involved.

2.) The original Macross series, with the final battle over Earth involving millions of spacecraft, many of which were several kilometers long, and one that was hundreds of km in size (Earth also suffers heavy bombardment in the process, too).

-Mike

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:52 pm

Oh, cool. Always nice to see a fellow anime fan.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:03 am

For duels, I have to say Wrath of Khan takes the cake. After all, it is basically what every single small trek battle that followed was based on. It also helps that Khan is a terrific villain.

For small fleet battles, my favorite is from the new BSG were Galactica and Pegasus take out Resurrection. It's almost silent which apart from being realistic is just plain cool. A down side of that battle was that they showed the same footage of a basestar losing a wing twice and it wasn't some story backtrack thing.

For large battles I like the one near the end of Serenity. The start of RotS was pretty good, but it would have been better if it had been bigger with more powerful ships. I sort of wish the ICS's firepower claims were accurate becuse that battle would be fricken awesome.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:04 am

I'd have to say two battles from nBSG would be on the top of my list. The battle in "Ressurection Ship" and the one in the miniseries to be precise. There's just something about those massive railgun barrages coupled with missiles and nukes that make it cool beyond description. Too bad they can't have battles involving large fleets in that show.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:33 pm

From nBSG, the "Battle of New Caprica" was excellent and saw a perfect send off of the Battlestar Pegasus.