Clonetroopers versus Movie Klendathu

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
sonofccn
Starship Captain

Clonetroopers versus Movie Klendathu

Post by sonofccn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Okay another of my simple premise matchups. Simply put the first million clonetroopers, or these guys, are dispatched to a different arid, barren wasteland of a planet instead of Geonosis namely Movie-verse klendathu fighting the "Bugs", or these guys in a strategicly unimportant and meaningless conflict meant to appease egos of the distant onlookers. Clones get their standard kit, AT-TE SPH-T LAATs etc, while the "Bugs" get Warrior strain, obviously, Plasma bug ,Hopper ect. No orbital support for either side, strictly a ground/planet side based fight of man against Bug.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Clonetroopers versus Movie Klendathu

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:43 pm

I think the Clones, with more powerful weapons, will kill the bugs more easily than the Starship Troopers did...
Their tactics are identical, so the better armed Clones should prevail, or at least have much more success...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:18 pm

The amount of clone troopers is largely superior to what the monsters faced in the SST movie.
The best thing that could happen would be to have some of those massive torching bugs come out of the ground within the artillery ranks.
SPHA-Ts, as far as I've seen in the movies, can't aim at the ground (they can barely aim at the horizon, and that would be by bending forward legs and stiffening aft ones).
Hoppers were quite rare.
Plasma bugs are sitting ducks. Hoppers won't provide enough cover and based on the movies, I don't recall those bugs being able to offer any artillery-like fire. All they could do was to launch "rockets" into space.
The second movie had a new strain of parasites getting inside people, but they're only useful on a long term war.
The third movie involving some kind of artillery with bouncing balls which had some significant blast power, plus some kind of scorpion creature which fired short ranged blast/incineration beams.
Strictly speaking, the Klendathu fauna didn't have any of the creatures of the two latest movies.
LAATs carry missiles and lasers and are virtually unhurtable. Best bet for the bugs is to stay completely underground, which we know they don't.
They'll get toasted, even against the relatively disorganized clonetroopers.
AT-TEs will finish eating them. The only thing that brought down those AT-TEs were missiles fired by the wheel droids. The bugs don't even have anything like that.
Plus the Jedi won't have to deflect any crap.
The clonetroopers have the range advantage from the beginning and can move forward unhampered.

The question is will they be able to withstand the unknown waves of bugs and reach the psychic brainbug in time? Will the Jedi be able to sense it and reach it?
The brainbug was operating not too far from the outpost, but the clonetroopers won't be marching from a formerly established outpost. They'll be disembarked *somewhere* on Klendathu.

However, the Jedi with the help of clonetroopers will easily handle the bugs in the tunnels. Things will get a bit more problematic if the troopers run out of ammo.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:59 am

Given how many random giant predatory animals seem to be blaster proof I question if the clone's standard blasters will be enough? ^_^

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:02 pm

The warrior bugs had an advantage against kinetic weapons in that the shape of their exoskeleton helped them repel a large amount of shots, and troopers had to aim very carefully at close range.
However, those energy bolts should technically care less about the angle, although firing at an angle would deposit energy over a greater area. Now, considering that they're blast weapons as well (bolt seem to be bottled energy or bottled matter waiting to blow up), the angle may have even less of an impact.
The thing is, with the sheer number of clonetroopers and the barrage of fire they can produce, there will be plenty of shots which will be intercepted by the packed wave of warriors bugs. Frankly, I wouldn't be too worried. Especially since with air support, heavy armour and artillery, the clonetroopers will actually have to deal with much less bugs than the humans did in the SST movie.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Lucky wrote:Given how many random giant predatory animals seem to be blaster proof I question if the clone's standard blasters will be enough? ^_^
Yes, but these animals live in a Galaxy full of blasters, while the ST bugs don't...

And we've seen many instances where one single shot did kill a big predator (Jango in AotC, Cody in a TCW episode while protecting Anakin, etc...)...

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 pm

While I agree with Preao that blasters are more powerful than the assault rifles of the movie as well as with Mr. Oragahn about the use of armor and air support and that ultimatly the clones will be victorious but I think the Arachnids will make a fight of it. The "Bugs" displayed quite a talent for tunneling both for pit traps as well as making surprise attacks including with the big "Tanker bugs". I could easily see the segments of the clone army being ambushed and wiped out piecemeal before the greater whole can react.

Such problems would of course only be magnified inside the tunnel network itself along with limiting the clones heavier weapons, LAATs and perhaps to an extent AT-TEs, and partially migating the advantage of their ranged weapons compared to the meele orientated "Bugs". Assuming the clones don't decide to just pull out some of those Umbaran hundred megaton missiles and say the hell to the whole mess. ;)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 am

Lucky wrote:Given how many random giant predatory animals seem to be blaster proof I question if the clone's standard blasters will be enough? ^_^
Praeothmin wrote: Yes, but these animals live in a Galaxy full of blasters, while the ST bugs don't...

And we've seen many instances where one single shot did kill a big predator (Jango in AotC, Cody in a TCW episode while protecting Anakin, etc...)...
I thought the problem was you needed to shoot a tiny area of the bug's head that had the brain or something in order to put it down, or you had to royally shoot the crap out of the bug. I don't recall bug carapaces being able to withstand human weapon fire.
_____
I don't see how blasters being common makes large animals blaster proof? I see it as a flaw in blasters? We see Clones bring down AAT with their rifles repeatedly after all. I doubt the problem is firepower.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Lucky wrote: I thought the problem was you needed to shoot a tiny area of the bug's head that had the brain or something in order to put it down, or you had to royally shoot the crap out of the bug. I don't recall bug carapaces being able to withstand human weapon fire.
_____
I don't see how blasters being common makes large animals blaster proof? I see it as a flaw in blasters? We see Clones bring down AAT with their rifles repeatedly after all. I doubt the problem is firepower.
Exactly, we know Blasters are powerful, at least greater than most modern weapons, so if so many beasts are Blaster resistant, while we know Blasters to be powerful, then that means beasts in SW are hellaciously powerful...
Or because they use the Force...

This still doesn't make the ST bugs Blaster resistant... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Lucky wrote:
Praeothmin wrote: Yes, but these animals live in a Galaxy full of blasters, while the ST bugs don't...

I thought the problem was you needed to shoot a tiny area of the bug's head that had the brain or something in order to put it down, or you had to royally shoot the crap out of the bug. I don't recall bug carapaces being able to withstand human weapon fire.
_____
Massed fire doesn't cut it if you don't aim right, that is sure. Proper aim is better, although even at short range, pump action weapons weren't really very effective. You really need a short burst, perhaps even just one shot. Problem being that the example done in the video was pure propaganda and against a jailed bug.
On the field, however, it's another story, although the dude with nuke at the end managed to hold off a couple of them (not sure if the bugs weren't stalling either, hard to tell).
The clonetroopers' weapons seem a tad more powerful (but not by much). A barrage of fire may be more effective in maiming the bugs than really killing them.