Challenge: Find a universe

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:03 pm

I think that B5 is a definete loser to the Empire in space, at least strategically. B5 hyperspace travel is dependent on jumpgate beacons, generated by jumpgates themselves. Once the Empire starts destroying jumpgates (to help hinder movement of both military supplies and to force the B5 vessels to expend more fuel by generating jumppoints, as well as destroying a valid strategic resource) the beacon network will fail and hyperspace travel will become impossible to all but the most advanced B5 races (the First ones and perhaps the Shadows and Vorlons, we don't know if they need beacons).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:12 am

And what about the forces in either Hyperion or World of Null-A?

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:30 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:And what about the forces in either Hyperion or World of Null-A?
I don't know anything about either universe.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:22 am

Null-A has impressive interplanetary forces.

The vast bulk of fleets seem to rely on means of transport which are relatively slow.
They use a variety of nukes and rays, they have some kind of force fields IIRC, they don't hesitate to nuke surfaces if necessary, they have plenty of military troops on the surface, (they can dispatch many millions of soldiers), they seem to be able to establish advanced defense perimeters on the ground, and use armed drone patrols floating in the air.
It has great AIs as well.

Pistol-like Infantry "blasters" can burn an entire man in one shot.

The most advanced starships, still pretty big in fact, can use some kind of instantaneous teleportation to cover large distances.

In many ways, BSG75 reminds me of Null-A.
The stuff is from 1948, but is so ahead of its time, it could be faithfully transposed word for word in a modern day film, you wouldn't tell the difference.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:32 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Null-A has impressive interplanetary forces.

The vast bulk of fleets seem to rely on means of transport which are relatively slow.
They use a variety of nukes and rays, they have some kind of force fields IIRC, they don't hesitate to nuke surfaces if necessary, they have plenty of military troops on the surface, (they can dispatch many millions of soldiers), they seem to be able to establish advanced defense perimeters on the ground, and use armed drone patrols floating in the air.

The most advanced starships, still pretty big in fact, can use some kind of instantaneous teleportation to cover large distances.

The stuff is from 1948, but is so ahead of its time, it could be faithfully transposed word for word in a modern day film, you wouldn't tell the difference.
Without reading it for myself I'd rather not make a determination. I take it it's a novel?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:25 am

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Null-A has impressive interplanetary forces.

Without reading it for myself I'd rather not make a determination. I take it it's a novel?
Yes.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:23 am

Here's another anime possibility in a match up for the Galactic Empire: The Abh Empire from Crest of the Stars. For those unfamilar with the Crest of the Stars (later on Banner of the stars) here is the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_of_the_stars

YouTube also has several episodes available. Here is the first quarter of episode 1 (note the rather sizeable fleet invading Jinto's homworld):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OLpXDjwN8

The Abh have a rather unique advantage here: their society is based around living in space, rather than on planets. When they conquer a world, they simply establish total and complete space superiority, and force the planet in question into giving up all space travel. Thus they have almost no interest at all in the planets they invade, and will probably not care if the Empire goes around BDZing or blasting them with a Death Star.

Also of special note is the Abh's means of FTL travel, known simply as "Planar Space":

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Shrine/4 ... eikai.html

Combat can occur in Planar space, but only when the various space ships and or their missles merge their space-time bubbles together.

Weapons used by the Abh Empire consist of a variety of high-velocity nuclear fusion missiles; anti-proton and particle beam weapons. They also possess a form of shield technology as well; generating magnetic fields that can at least partially, if not fully repel energy weapon beams. Unfortunately little is known about the yeilds of their weapons.

Also a potential advantage for the Galactic Empire is that the Abh do have rather significant enemies in the form of the United Mankind (aka Four Nations Alliance of humankind), which possesses generally the same, though generally slightly inferor, technologies. The GE could come into the conflict posing as a savior, then once the Abh are disposed of, turn on and take over the United Mankind either militarily or through political subterfuge.
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:06 am

That's a big fleet. The theme music had a combo Star Trek-Star Wars feel to it.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:08 pm

GStone wrote:That's a big fleet. The theme music had a combo Star Trek-Star Wars feel to it.
More like a mix of a SF film fom the 80s and Space 1999, without the guitar riffs.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:32 pm

GStone wrote:That's a big fleet. The theme music had a combo Star Trek-Star Wars feel to it.
Heh. Later on in Banner of the Stars, there's even bigger fleets fielded by the Abh Empire and the United Mankind. One that we see actually was large enough to form a sizable "cloud" of ships around an Earth-like planet.
-Mike