NERV and SHIELD vs. The Borg

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Khas
Starship Captain

NERV and SHIELD vs. The Borg

Post by Khas » Wed May 30, 2012 3:08 pm

The Borg have come to some weird version of Earth, set pretty much in the modern day. One cube, and two spheres. The Borg have stated their goal, and beamed ten thousand drones into New York City, and have assimilated half it's population (so, that's about seven million or so).

However, two organizations aren't going to stand for this. The first is SHIELD, who sends in the Avengers to fight the Borg. The second is NERV, who deploy the Evangelions.

So, the Avengers present are:
Thor
Hawkeye
The Hulk
Iron Man
Captain America
Black Widow

The Evas present are:
Eva-00
Eva-01
Eva-02

Can the Avengers and Evas stop the Borg in their path? Or does humanity become more fucked then ever?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: NERV and SHIELD vs. The Borg

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Black Widow and Hawkeye become assimilated eventually, as while their weapons will do damage at first, they cannot compete with the Borg in HtH...
Cap can do a lot of damage with his enhanced strength and impenetrable shield, and so would last far longer...
Iron Man's repulsors would qquickly be compensated for, but I doubt the nano tubes would be able to penetrate an armor that can stand up to many blows of Thor's hammer and fists, so he could fuck them up real good in physical combat...
Hulk will be unbeatable as even IF the nanotubes could penetrate his hide (which I seriously doubt), his regeneration would kick the pants off the Borg nanites...
Similar results with Thor which, even though he is a bit less resistant than Hulk (survives being thrown through tree trunks, rocks, asphalt, buildings, Heli-carrier without a scratch, only Loki's Asgardian dagger penetrates his skin), should be resistant to Borg nanotubes, and oon the off chance the Borg adapt to his Lightning (in a no limit fallacy, seeing at how powerful it was), he will wreck them good with fist and hammer...

As for the Evangelions, they leave the ground fighting to the Avengers, and simply take on the Cubes...

Conclusion:
The Borg assimilate many humans, but get their asses handed to them, and Stark eventually finds a way to cure all infected humans...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed May 30, 2012 5:03 pm

oph right movie avengers?

Borg likely try and nuke it from orbit after the ungodly stomping they get including Stark trolling their tech

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Wed May 30, 2012 8:52 pm

How is SHIELD and NERV supposed to stop the Borg? It's a Borg Cube. There's nothing on Earth, including the Hulk, perhaps even the NERV that would stop a Borg Cube. Can they even reach it? I doubt it. Even if SHIELD and NERV slaughter the Borg on the ground battle (which I doubt, at that size, the Borg could assimilate and fortify all of New York within a few days, maybe even a few hours), the Borg could simply eliminate the threat from orbit.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Can't Evangelions fly?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:29 am

Only with certain equipment. However, if one of the trailers for Evangelion 3.0 (the third Evangelion movie) is to be trusted, we see Unit-02 fighting in space.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Oh, ok, I thought they flew, never having seen the shows...
I figured: "Giant Mechs, hey, they certaintly fly..." :)

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:28 pm

I don't see what a mech is going to do to a Borg Cube...

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Mith wrote:I don't see what a mech is going to do to a Borg Cube...
But they're GIANT Mechs... :)

And Giant Mechs could do a lot of damage... :)

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:59 pm

^^^

Ugh, giant robots are sooooooo played out :)

I know zilch about comics in general. As far as the EVAs go, what stops the cube from just hanging out in orbit and pummeling the place? There was an episode of Voyager where an airborne assimilation virus was discussed. I think it first showed up in the Doc's daydreams, but was then discussed for real by the Queen herself, talking to Seven of Nine (I've been out of the debate loop for a while, so my memory of precisely which episode is which is foggy now). But seriously just hang out in orbit, unleash the virus and watch. There were only a few weapons in Evangelion which could conceivably shoot at targets in orbit. There's the Positron rifle, though it took all the electrical output of Japan to fire and was deflected by Ramiel's (?) shot. The Lance, I suppose, though the cube could simply move out of the way. It took off like a rocket in BOBW.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Well, Evas technically aren't robots. They're cyborgs, cloned from the being that first seeded Earth with life. Evangelion was the deconstruction of the whole "giant robot" genre.

Now, the hardest thing for the Borg to do is get past the Evas' AT Fields, which are basically deflector shields that are produced by what is more or less Kaballistic magic of some kind (there is a TON of Judeo-Christian symbolism in Evangelion, for those who don't know). Only certain things have been shown to penetrate an AT Field. These are pretty much limited to high-powered positron bursts, Lances of Longinus, and other AT Fields. And even then, high-enough powered AT Fields can block even those, such as the one the Angel Tabris produced, which was strong enough to block out light, magnetic fields, and even subatomic particles.

So, while the Evas may not be able to do much damage to the Borg cubes, they won't normally be affected either, as long as they can keep their AT Fields up.

However, to maintain power for more than five minutes requires that the Evangelion either have an S2 Engine/Organ, or be plugged into an external power source. In the original Evangelion, only Unit-01 had an S2 Organ, and even then, that organ originally belonged to the Angel Zeruel, Unit-01 ate and absorbed it.

If we're going by the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, then only Unit-06 has an S2 Organ so far. The others might be upgraded with them later.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Was Ramiel's weapon positronic? I seem to remember it boring a hole through Eva-01's chest on poor Shinji's first sortie, though granted, it's been a long time since I've seen Evangelion. And the one with the pink energy whips cut him up pretty good, as I recall.

I thought AT stood for "absolute terror" and was a literal physical manifestation of the psychological desire to remain an individual. Everyone has one, (though angsty teens seem more suited to forming strong ones) which requires the anti-AT field formed by unit 01 and the production Evas as part of Instrumentality's goal of turning every human being into a giant Great Link. Again, its been a while since I've seen it, and with all the new versions they're coming out with, what's happened to the old continuity as far as Eva canon goes?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 pm

They never say what that beam is.

And yes, A.T. still stands for "Absolute Terror", it's just that, well, to actually project it deflector-shield style requires some form of magic.

Also, Shinji drops A LOT of the angst he had in the original in Rebuild. By the end of the second Rebuild film, it almost seems like he got therapy sessions from frikkin' Kamina.