How did Alan surival jungal in Jumanji

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Jasonb
Jedi Knight

How did Alan surival jungal in Jumanji

Post by Jasonb » Wed May 23, 2012 2:38 am

Fact that Alan next to no real survival skills how could he surival in Jumanji Jungal do any guys think that Jumanji gave Alan super human powers.

mojo
Starship Captain

Re: How did Alan surival jungal in Jumanji

Post by mojo » Wed May 23, 2012 2:47 am

considering his total fear of the place, i'm guessing his survival was less 'game bestows superhuman abilities on little kid' and more 'movie is not horror movie made for grown-ups'. i suppose it is possible that he faced the real possibility of death there, but i would imagine, if it were actually explained, that food and shelter was provided, albeit sparingly. i would propose the idea that the game would not actually kill anyone who is a player. innocents on the outside might be killed, because once the game is over, those people would be brought back to life, but not actual players. otherwise, how do we explain the fact that the greatest hunter in the world couldn't kill jack, despite multiple chances while being feet away from him and jack standing still? that's worse than stormtroopers. it's important to remember that the game was in fact A GAME. FOR CHILDREN TO PLAY.
besides, the game didn't give anyone else superpowers when faced with seemingly deadly things.

Jasonb
Jedi Knight

Post by Jasonb » Thu May 24, 2012 3:02 am

mojo wrote:considering his total fear of the place, i'm guessing his survival was less 'game bestows superhuman abilities on little kid' and more 'movie is not horror movie made for grown-ups'. i suppose it is possible that he faced the real possibility of death there, but i would imagine, if it were actually explained, that food and shelter was provided, albeit sparingly. i would propose the idea that the game would not actually kill anyone who is a player. innocents on the outside might be killed, because once the game is over, those people would be brought back to life, but not actual players. otherwise, how do we explain the fact that the greatest hunter in the world couldn't kill jack, despite multiple chances while being feet away from him and jack standing still? that's worse than stormtroopers. it's important to remember that the game was in fact A GAME. FOR CHILDREN TO PLAY.
besides, the game didn't give anyone else superpowers when faced with seemingly deadly things.
Game did end kill one players Judy that breaks all normal rules of movies at the time. Normal female children were least likes to die in movies now and then if not fact when game end brought back life and reborn. Alan also seem know about all kind terrors the jungle and survival some we get see must we did not. Not include fact know about planet nearly ate up one players. I agree game only put timeout and it said had wait jungle so game interest keep alive fact he one by luck role the die end game. He might have well learn weakness hunter allow to escape him or might some protect game gave him to survival jungle places. Hunter out question effective tantics

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 am

jason, i am only going to try to say this once because, honest to god, i'm not trying to troll you or hurt your feelings. i can't understand what you're saying, man. i thought the jumanji idea was interesting enough to try to debate, but seriously i can't understand your response to what i said. sorry.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 24, 2012 10:39 am

mojo wrote:jason, i am only going to try to say this once because, honest to god, i'm not trying to troll you or hurt your feelings. i can't understand what you're saying, man. i thought the jumanji idea was interesting enough to try to debate, but seriously i can't understand your response to what i said. sorry.
What if in his reality, it were our posts that didn't make much sense?

Jasonb
Jedi Knight

Post by Jasonb » Fri May 25, 2012 4:43 am

mojo wrote:jason, i am only going to try to say this once because, honest to god, i'm not trying to troll you or hurt your feelings. i can't understand what you're saying, man. i thought the jumanji idea was interesting enough to try to debate, but seriously i can't understand your response to what i said. sorry.
The game kill one players Judy think was her name. So that theory I could rule out.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Sun May 27, 2012 4:28 am

Is there an adult who can proof read your posts for you before you hit submit?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun May 27, 2012 4:32 am

Jasonb wrote:
The game kill one players Judy think was her name. So that theory I could rule out.
apparently it's been too long since i watched the movie. i had forgotten that, and i don't remember how she died? what happened?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun May 27, 2012 4:34 am

Sideswipe wrote:Is there an adult who can proof read your posts for you before you hit submit?

i didn't have too much trouble with the second attempt. i'm so baffled by the jasonb hate. i hated swst as much as anyone, and ksw wasn't my favorite member, and i could understand it if people didn't like me much, but what is it with jason? is the idea that he's doing this purposely? because i don't see any evidence of that. i'm seriously asking.
i can sort of see the 'if english isn't your first language, then find a forum which uses that language instead' argument, but what if the st/sw debate doesn't exist on the internet in his native language? is he just supposed to do without debate he's clearly passionate about? he doesn't even respond to posts that are clearly hostile toward him, he just continues on to his next baffling post. honest to god, i don't get it.

Jasonb
Jedi Knight

Post by Jasonb » Tue May 29, 2012 2:15 am

mojo wrote:
Jasonb wrote:
apparently it's been too long since i watched the movie. i had forgotten that, and i don't remember how she died? what happened?
Judy is shot by a poisonous barb from that man eating plant.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue May 29, 2012 4:49 am

my daughter has never seen jumanji. tomorrow night, i'll watch it with her, and then i will respond. sorry for the wait.
hey, did you like the sequel, with the house in space? i liked the sci-fi twist better than the original straight fantasy angle, but jumanji was probably more entertaining. i did like the robot in the second one a lot.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Jasonb wrote: Judy is shot by a poisonous barb from that man eating plant.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIT!!!

I actually understood that sentence!

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed May 30, 2012 5:10 pm

mojo wrote:
those Hentai plants shot a barb in her throat..or a few of them but she wasn't dead on screen she was dying in her brothers arms though- which when you mix it with Alans 'you have no idea what I have seen, in the darkest corners of the jungle in the night" and the "when you hear the screaming and it starts to eat" line, the movie was kinda nightmare fuel filled for little kids. Mind you I was like eight or nine when it came out and laughed my ass off..but if your daughters like four or five..I might hold back on it

oh and the game killed a player before that as well IIRC in the opening of the movie the kids from the late 1800's/early 1900's lost a brother or good friend forever to the game -although, whether the game killed him or they did it by hurling the game into the river and thus trapping him there forever however is another matter entirely

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:53 am

we rented the movie on blu-ray, watched it tonight. all debate aside, thanks jasonb for that, it was as good as i remembered!

at the end of the movie, it was clear that judy was in bad shape, but i definitely did not see her die. it COULD be that she was literally dying, but when i was younger, i remember just thinking that she had been poisoned. she was clearly out of the fight, but the last time we see her, she's not dead, she's talking clearly and moving, though not with a lot of vigor. it is never stated that she is dying, and when alan describes the barbs, he does not state that they are deadly, just that they are poisonous.
i am not arguing that she is not dying, but i am arguing that we do not KNOW that she is dying. i don't think we can use that as canon evidence that the game can kill.

as far as the kid at the beginning of the movie, i think breetai is remembering incorrectly. those kids were definitely terrified and trying to get rid of the game, but i have always thought it was meant to foreshadow the way alan and judy get rid of it at the end, as if the two kids at the beginning had just finished the game. it is impossible for them to have left a brother or friend in the jungle, as if they had done that, the game would have been left unfinished and alan and judy would not have been able to start a new game. remember that that is exactly what happened with alan.
regardless, the movie never mentions anything like that:
jumanji wrote:Don't worry. It's just a pack of wolves. Come on. We're almost rid of it.

- Caleb, it's after me! - Grab on!

Run! Run!

No, Benjamin, we have to finish this. Come on. Help me bury it.

What if someone digs it up?

May God have mercy on his soul.
we see people who have been hurt in many ways throughout, but we never see a dead person or are explicitly told that someone has died. unless i have missed something, i think that covers the topic of whether we in fact know if the game can kill.

i actually think the fact that alan lived for so long in the jungle, after his life up until that point had been that of a rich kid living in the suburbs, is strong evidence that the game does NOT kill. his speech about things eating in the night only makes that point stronger. he clearly did not have a good time, but he didn't seem to have had anything bitten off, and was well-fed when he returned as an adult.

another thing - and i don't include it as direct evidence because i'm not clear here - but was van pelt hunting him while he was in the jungle? if that was the case, then there is NO WAY we can assume that alan survived his jungle experience without help of some kind. the last time i saw it, i thought that that was the case, that van pelt had hunted alan in the jungle and continued when released into the world by the game, because alan clearly knew who he was and they speak to each other as if they had previous experience. i wasn't so sure this time.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 am

Is it specifically told that a new group of players cannot start a new game even if another former group didn't finish their own game? Couldn't the game remember the players and reactivate each separate game?
We see that it would be impossible. For example, imagine player A, B and C played, then left C stuck somehow in the game ... I must point out from there that we don't know how, but apparently the sort of local environment created is swept back into the game by the board, and only a victory seems to immunize players from being taken into the board.
Say A and B close the board and leave. It's about the same scenario but with three players and not two.
Now A reopens the board years later. Methinks the board will wait for player B to return as well, unless I suppose the player is dead, which the board would have to be able to know if it was meant to be playable as many times as possible. So for the moment, B isn't there. Can the game start only with A and, say, a couple friends?
I don't think so. That would make a terrifying R rated new psycho-horror sequel, with player B refusing to play and therefore leaving player A with the only solution of killing player B. :D