D&D Mayhem

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Khas
Starship Captain

D&D Mayhem

Post by Khas » Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 pm

You find yourself the DM of a D&D session. The twist? Your players are Odo, R2-D2, Misato Katsuragi, and Mat Cauthon. How long until disaster strikes?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: D&D Mayhem

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Players, or characters?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Is this an RPGA-sanctioned tournament or is this group of players over at someone's house? If so, who's home? Also, what edition of D&D?
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu May 10, 2012 8:37 pm

It's in your home, and it's Edition 3.5.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu May 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Players, or characters?
Players.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 am

personally, i would first be amazed that i have been somehow transported to 1990.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Well, I think it would pretty much go like our usual D&D sessions go:
-We arrive, and everyone talks about what they did during the week.
-One is always misunderstood because using words or expressions no one else uses. Some feel he is useless, a feeling he isn't helping by playing the most useless character class ever, the Bard.

-One is always serious, and states "We're playing, can we talk about our boring real lives later?" and starts bugging the DM about certain rules. He plays thePaladin, of course.

-One is always making jokes, never follows the story because he's too dissipated, and gets the group in all sorts of problems. He, of course, plays the Thief.

-One is always distracted and plays with everything he can get his hands on (dice, pencils, erasers, figurines), and plays a socially akward character. Plays a Wizard for the spells.

-The game starts, and already the thief is up to no good, while being constantly watched by the Paladin, who also watches all other players to make sure they didn't cheat in their Character creation, or in the number of items they have.

-Combat arrives, and despite the mini-figs representing each of the group, the distracted Wizard/player casts a fireball in the middle of the group who was in melee with the enemies at the time.

-The Thief backstabs the evil leader, who turns out to be immune, and so the Paladin must make his way over to help the poor thief.

-Said battle wasn't supposed to happen because the original plan, the one the Thief didn't adhere to, was simply to parlay with enemy forces and save many lives, and possibly not have a confrontation with the powerful enemy forces.

Really, just like our normal games... :)

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri May 11, 2012 8:20 pm

i can't decide whether to ask why you even bother or ask for an invitation.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 am

All but one of the group hate my guts ultimately, but love my game so much they keep coming back for more.

I politely ask Odo to turn everyone into changelings. Things will be so much more fucking awesome.

I also try to elevate R2D2 to president of earth outside of the game, because awesome.

Beyond that, game is held every Saturday, with only minor collateral damage to the surrounding area.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun May 13, 2012 11:51 am

mojo wrote:i can't decide whether to ask why you even bother or ask for an invitation.
I bother because it's funny, as we all make fun of the distracted one's antics years after he made them, even the serious guys cracks up sometimes...

One (true distracted-guy antic) from a Shadowrun game:
The group is fighting terrorists in a bank, all hostages wearing explosive belts, the lead bad guy holding a "Dead man's switch"...
I mention the switch 4 times before they start the infiltration, and so all players are weary about this... Except for one...
Distracted guy uses his Phys Ad's camouflage and spider walking powers to get over the bad guy leader, and fires a stun arrow at him, which knocks him out...
And causes all other players to facepalm, mostly the other Phys Ad being held prisoner with 6 other hostages (28 total) who blow up right next to him...

This happened 3 years ago, and we still make fun of him... :)

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon May 14, 2012 2:32 am

can you be sure that wasn't just a 'fuck it' move?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon May 14, 2012 2:33 am

i used to do that sort of thing constantly when i played. chaotic neutral is the shit.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 am

I generally play chaotic good. Let's me satisfy the asshole side of me and the good guy bit. I'm happy with it.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon May 14, 2012 8:45 am

My bet is this:

* Mat Cauthon will likely make a human Fighter or Ranger class character.

* Misato Katsuragi's character will be a Rogue, possibly an elf.

* Odo will role up a Paladin, though he'll not play it as Lawful Stupid, either.

* Artoo will ,design a character to maximise all the skills he thought would come in most useful in a space game, at the cost of being a short, squat robot with no arms, but have to make it a dwarf instead.

-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon May 14, 2012 3:11 pm

mojo wrote:can you be sure that wasn't just a 'fuck it' move?
Oh hell no, we know the guy, and it was truly an absent-minded move, like he hadn't caught-on the "dead-man switch" part and thought the guy had to press to blow people up, even after I had made it clear, at least 4 times, one of which was a character briefing by their boss, that he was already pressing the button and things would blow up if he released it...

On another note, last night, our mage cast a sleep spell at bad guys, totally forgetting that his spell had a 9 meters radius, thus affecting everyone: the bad guys, his teamates, and the woman they were there to protect...
The results were one of the bad guys, already knocked out by a team member, died from the powerful sleep spell (think of the effects of giving a double dose of anasthetics to someone already under), half the team fell unconcious, the other half was groggy...
Lucky for them, they weren't in a firefight... :)