Who are the best troops in SciFi?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Who are the best troops in SciFi?

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:54 pm

Anything goes as long as it is from science fiction and you make a reasonable case. Canon/ official, no fanfics or like. TV shows, movies, books, and videogames all count.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:00 am

Anything that has uber personal armor/shielding and have decent weapons pretty much qualify. Sci-fi is simply overrun with incompetent ground forces.

Insane:
TA
Culture
Bolo series

All of them have ground troops that are literally walking nuclear arsenals.

Great:
WH40k
SST (books)

All have heavy power armor and near nuclear level weapons.

Good:
Super Go'auld trooper from SG1 (Kull Warriors I believe)
Starcraft

These are simply unstoppable against realworld soldiers, my personal benchmark to what constitutes "Good" troops.
Last edited by Nonamer on Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:04 am

Spartans from Halo are pretty tough also, and are the closest things to force users outside of Star Wars. And all the terminator models kick some serious ass, although the T-1000 didn't seem as determined as the rest.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:19 pm

Four Daleks were stated as being capable of defeating 5,000,000 Cybermen in Doctor Who. That's essentially 1,250,000 each.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:39 pm

Nonamer wrote:Anything that has uber personal armor/shielding and have decent weapons pretty much qualify. Sci-fi is simply overrun with incompetent ground forces.

Insane:
TA
Culture
Bolo series

Great:
WH40k
SST (books)

Good:
Starcraft

These are simply unstoppable against realworld soldiers, my personal benchmark to what constitutes "Good" troops.
What is "TA"?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:01 pm

The Xeelee and the Photio Birds from Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence novels could wipe the floor with anyone. Period.
-Mike

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:12 pm

GStone wrote:
Nonamer wrote:Anything that has uber personal armor/shielding and have decent weapons pretty much qualify. Sci-fi is simply overrun with incompetent ground forces.

Insane:
TA
Culture
Bolo series

Great:
WH40k
SST (books)

Good:
Starcraft

What is "TA"?
Total Annihilation. It's an old RTS game that has very realistic combat and ridiculously powerful units that can survive nuke hits.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:40 pm

Nonamer wrote:
GStone wrote:

Insane:
TA
Culture
Bolo series

Great:
WH40k
SST (books)

Good:
Starcraft

What is "TA"?
Total Annihilation. It's an old RTS game that has very realistic combat and ridiculously powerful units that can survive nuke hits.
I'am just reminded of the old Steve Jackson wargame "Ogre", which has infantry inspired by the powered armor wearing troops from the Starship Troopers books. Those troops were carrying around tactical nukes, and could jump or run across great distances at high speeds. Their armored suits could let them survive a nearby tactical nuke hit, and live for days in a hard-rad enviroment, if need be.

The Ogres of the game's title were massive, super-armored AI controlled tanks that could only be disabled, not necessarily destroyed, by direct tactical nuclear strikes. You could send entire battalions of modern-day tanks against these things with little effect, and modern infantry would be useless.
-Mike

iconoclast
Candidate

Post by iconoclast » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:16 pm

Narsil wrote:Four Daleks were stated as being capable of defeating 5,000,000 Cybermen in Doctor Who. That's essentially 1,250,000 each.
Daleks and Cybermen are both pretty powerful, but he said any series, so I'm going with the Green Lantern Corps.

Or maybe I should dig out my Rifts books and see what's really powerful... Like Cosmo Knights. I believe they were originally purposed for taking down capitol ships.