Reapers(Mass Effect) VS Borg

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Reapers(Mass Effect) VS Borg

Post by Sideswipe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

This one came to me while I was half asleep this morning. Wierd, but anyway, a no holds barred battle royale between the Reapers and the Borg. The Reapers have Star Trek aliens to make husks out of only.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Reapers(Mass Effect) VS Borg

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:51 am

Well, tough to say. Do we have any idea how the Reaper's so-called "indoctrination" field will do against cybernetic beings like the Borg? One would presume that the Borg assimilation would prevent the indoctrination effect from working, especially since it seems to take a good deal of exposure time for some solely organic beings, like humans, to be properly affected by it.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Is space war also included? If it is, Reapers get raped.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:09 pm

I guess I should open it up a bit. it's an all out Reaper invasion. They return from their 50,000 year "sleep" cyle and start wiping out all sentient life. Instead of the ME races its the Star Trek races they have to deal with.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Without any evidence that the Reapers are super awesome in terms of capital ship firepower, aside from the huge extrapolation derived of that gigantic scar on the surface of a planet, I'd say that they get ripped a new one.
I don't know much more about the Reapers, aside from the idea that they rely on other species to do some dirty ground work?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Their main cannons fire liquid metal.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:00 pm

As a rule of thumb, most sci-fi above NBSG pretty much curbstomps mass effect, even reaper level mass effect. I don't think this will be a very long war

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:40 pm

HALO UNSC would get killed by Council races, I think.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Mass Effect firepower is in the megatons for the larger ships, I believe, which should include the Reaper dreadnoughts. They tend to use their "mass effect" technobabble for some kind of gravitic railguns, which make up the main armaments of most of their ships. (Incidentally, the same tech apparently allows them to ignore conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, and the lightspeed limit, at least if you listen to people at online forums.)

So they should be able to hurt individual Borg ships. I rather doubt they have the numbers to take on the entire Borg, though.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 am

Actually, no. Reaper main gun is in hundreds of kilotons, photon torpedo is in hundreds of megatons - and one Borg cube regularly takes on dozens of ships capable of such firepower, and wins.

Reaper gunships are said to "be capable of megaton-scale firepower", but we already know that a concentrated attack, totalling no more than dozen megatons, can take down a Sovereign class reaper.

Meanwhile, main Borg enemies - Federation in particular - use weapons capable of hundreds of megatons per warhead.

User1401
Padawan

Post by User1401 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 pm

The first encounter with the Reapers may not go too well for the Borg. We saw in "Q Who" that a couple phaser bursts is enough to take decent chunks out of a cube before it's adapted. The Reapers aren't just going to stop firing like the Ent-D did, so the Borg might lose some cubes.

Once the Borg adapt though, possibly by assimilating kinetic barrier tech (God knows their drones need it) they'll merrily dice up Reapers with cutting beams. Then they will go about the odd task of figuring out how to assimilate the spaceship-size, gestalt intelligence life forms that are the Reapers.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:09 am

Stargazer wrote:The first encounter with the Reapers may not go too well for the Borg. We saw in "Q Who" that a couple phaser bursts is enough to take decent chunks out of a cube before it's adapted. The Reapers aren't just going to stop firing like the Ent-D did, so the Borg might lose some cubes.

Once the Borg adapt though, possibly by assimilating kinetic barrier tech (God knows their drones need it) they'll merrily dice up Reapers with cutting beams. Then they will go about the odd task of figuring out how to assimilate the spaceship-size, gestalt intelligence life forms that are the Reapers.
That assumes the Borg don't use a navigational deflector of some type. The Borg needs some way to clear a path wile traveling at high speed just like the UFP.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Sideswipe wrote:This one came to me while I was half asleep this morning. Wierd, but anyway, a no holds barred battle royale between the Reapers and the Borg. The Reapers have Star Trek aliens to make husks out of only.
The Reapers are crushed, with only moderate exertion required on the Collective's part. Their heaviest main guns yield in the triple digit kilotons, although they do have gunships capable of "megaton-scale firepower", presumably bombs and heavy warheads that nevertheless would be effective against large and lumbering borg cubes.

However, the Reapers are heavily outnumbered by the Collective, who have hundreds of thousands of cubes, and outgunned one v one. So I don't see how they stand any shred of a chance here.

If you want to even the battle out, give the Reapers their relays while denying the Collective their transwarp hubs, limit the numbers of the borg collective, and introduce an element to make a ground war even slightly important, a dimension in which the collective is clearly incompetent in.