Mike Dicenso (sfj mod) vs. Light Yagami (with death note)

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
mojo
Starship Captain

Re: Mike Dicenso (sfj mod) vs. Light Yagami (with death note

Post by mojo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
mojo wrote:before i saw your post saying you found this thread amusing, i thought you were mocking me here.
Aren't you mocking Mike here?
I'll demonstrate in short order the full extent of my dialectical powers. Be prepared.
i admit nothing and i would have to be an idiot to do so. this is a perfectly legitimate thread.
also, i advise you to either do a bit of research or pick another thread to unleash your abilities on me, as the lack of knowledge has made the attempt laughable so far. on the other hand, given that in almost any other subject you would destroy me so quickly that noone would even have TIME to laugh, i have to admit i'm enjoying myself.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:53 am

since your failure so far has been caused by ignorance of the note's workings and rules, this would probably be enough to swing it:

http://deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rules_of_Death_Note

seriously, if you're not going to make the slightest effort to understand the subject, there's no point to continuing.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Mike wins by virtue of being real person.

/end thread

(okay, are you sure we don't actually live in Matrix?)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I was going to spend some time pointing out that if there are contradictions, then the book is fallible and can crash by logic, but it happens that rule I just solved all.

I.2 This note will not take effect unless the writer has the person’s face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

The form of your updated OP:
Defeated mojo wrote: Circumstances:
Light Yagami joins SFJ and immediately disagrees with a post made by StarWarsStarTrek in a profanity and threat-filled rant. Mike Dicenso bans him for two weeks, then posts pictures of himself on his last vacation. Light Yagami lurks the forum and finds these pictures, then writes Mike Dicenso's name in the notebook in this entry:
'Mike Dicenso dies, 02/15/2012, of an infection after being scratched by MoJo's cat. In his last hours, he writes a 20 page manifesto describing his life, only he writes it as if he were a homosexual furry with a one centimeter long penis who has never had a sexual encounter of any kind.'
what happens?
You said that Mike posted pictures of himself on his last vacation, but you didn't say if he was clearly identifiable. You didn't say if he blurred his face while leaving everything else visible, which tends to happen more and more these days. You didn't even mention that there was only one and the same man on the pictures and that you could safely attach the name to that very man.
Besides, as far as I can tell, Light Yagami doesn't have an eye power, meaning he can't know Mike's name and his life span by looking at a picture of him.
Worst of all, Light doesn't even know if Mike Dicenso is the true name of the moderator.

You are defeated. The game is over.

I also noticed that you couldn't kill a Wraith unless he or she had been raised within a human society used to give names to people.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:04 pm

that argument is so full of holes and unwarranted assumptions that i had to go back and make sure swst hadn't jumped into the debate.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:You said that Mike posted pictures of himself on his last vacation, but you didn't say if he was clearly identifiable.
given that the pictures were clearly meant to allow light to gain mike's true name and face, it is unreasonable to base an argument around the idea that light wouldn't be able to do so.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:You didn't say if he blurred his face while leaving everything else visible, which tends to happen more and more these days.
you know this is a silly argument. regardless, the amount of clarity in the picture is extremely debatable. if his face were sufficiently blurred, it is possible the name couldn't be found. but there is definitely no more evidence pointing toward his pictures being blurry than there is for them being clear. and since i wrote pictureS in my original post, it seems unlikely that each one would have the same flaw. who goes on vacation and manages to fuck up every single picture they take? it's absurd.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:You didn't even mention that there was only one and the same man on the pictures and that you could safely attach the name to that very man.
in the circumstance that there were more than one person featured throughout, and none of them showed up as having the name 'mike dicenso', there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would simply eliminate everyone appearing in the photos. again we have a situation which, assuming that the people in his photos are people he loves, is far worse than the original death. in this case mike would be better off having used his real name and taking the bullet. again.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Besides, as far as I can tell, Light Yagami doesn't have an eye power, meaning he can't know Mike's name and his life span by looking at a picture of him.
true but pointless. the second kira, misa amane, has her own death note and has the eyes, and is ridiculously devoted to light, killing hundreds to help light's plan move forward with no hesitancy whatsoever. light would simply ask misa to read him the names in the pictures.
it would have been better for you to have left this alone, as it reminds me that misa misa's shinigami, rem, would have no qualms with offing mike herself using her death god abilities and her own death note. if light were unsuccessful in his attempt, he would certainly ask misa to send rem off to do it for him, and there would be literally zero chance that mike could evade that.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Worst of all, Light doesn't even know if Mike Dicenso is the true name of the moderator.
i addressed that already. if mike's true name is not mike dicenso, then mike dies along with every other person appearing in those pictures. as long as he achieves his objective, he will be perfectly happy to go as far as it takes.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:I also noticed that you couldn't kill a Wraith unless he or she had been raised within a human society used to give names to people.
i have no idea what you're talking about.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:I was going to spend some time pointing out that if there are contradictions, then the book is fallible and can crash by logic,
except there is no contradiction which could possibly be beyond the range of the note's ability to interpret the proper response. it is not a computer. it is infallible in it's operation within it's rules.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:You are defeated. The game is over.
the game was over before you decided to post. the death note cannot be defeated. this is what i've been saying. you should know that after reading the rules.

it's going to take a lot more than this, man.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Mojo, this is it. You want a ban? You've got it.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:29 pm

This thread is now locked.
-Mike