Highest example of shield tanking in the sci-fi multiverse.

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Highest example of shield tanking in the sci-fi multiverse.

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Ok so what franchise has the most impressive display of taking a single hit on the shields by a weapon and surviving:

I will open with Treks "A taste of armageddon" where they take 12^18dB to the shields and do not lose a single % of shielding.

Calcs i found (been annoying ICS warsies with em on factpile :D...)
dB rating (if you want to calculate energy intensity in watts/cm^2) is:

-

dB = 10log(Io/Iref), where Iref equals 10^-16 W/cm^2

-

12^18 = 10log(Io/10^-16)

-

2.66e19/10 = log(Io/10^-16)

-

10^2.66e18 = Io/10^-16

-

10^2.66e18/10^-16 = Io

-

Io = 1e267 Watts/cm^2

-

This is a rather large number (If a DS superlaser, for example, had an output of 1e32 J in a period of 1/10th of a second with a beam cross section of 100m^2, it would have an intensity of 1e31 W/m^2 or 1e27 W/cm^2 and it would take roughly 10 shots to match the energy deflected by the E-nil’s shields in this example).

For this discussion the shields must be hit by a weapon (no avoiding it with transphasic cloaks etc), all weapons are to be considered DET or DET comparable, outliers are not only allowed but insisted upon.

Oh and try to stay within canon.

User1657
Padawan

Re: Highest example of shield tanking in the sci-fi multiver

Post by User1657 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm not sure if it counts as 'shielding,' but Xeelee Construction material is almost indestructible. In fact, if it is hit by conventional energy it actually expands. In a story in Vacuum Diagrams, a Xeelee novel, a thin sheet of Xeelee Construction material manages to protect an astronaut in a crappy space suit (at a distance of I believe 1 AU) from a Nova. In the novel Exultant, as well, a Xeelee Nightfighter tanks the point blank blast from a Magnetar, coming from a Neutron star, with basically no damage except to its wins (and that was only because spacetime began to crystalize or something).

The only things that can reliably damage XCN are spacetime defects and the like.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:33 am

See the "Most Advanced Human Civilization" thread for other examples, such as the Downstreamers having tech that allowed them to survive Big Bang and Big Crunch-level events.
-Mike

User1657
Padawan

Post by User1657 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:55 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:See the "Most Advanced Human Civilization" thread for other examples, such as the Downstreamers having tech that allowed them to survive Big Bang and Big Crunch-level events.
-Mike
I've really got to get around to reading the Manifold series.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:31 am

Sorry i forgot to add no god beings and it should be a hit from wepons fire on shields.

I know novas are powerful overall but the inverse square law and the hull size must limit the hit right?.

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:38 am

I think somebody put up a truly hilarious quote from an old sci-fi novel from the 50's at one point, though I can't exactly remember who posted it or where.