Pillar of Autumn vs. Enterprise-D

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
User1657
Padawan

Re: Pillar of Autumn vs. Enterprise-D

Post by User1657 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Khas wrote:I read that thread this morning. Last time I checked, it was decided that the Xeelee would win, and some members claimed that the match was a "clusterfuck", caused by fanboys going against something out of their league.
The debate was restarted, with Stargate fans now claiming that SG will leave the universe and blow it up behind them. And the Xeelee were nerfed so they no longer had their massive time loop.

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 am

AnticitizenOne wrote:
the atom wrote:Oh dear god that thread. The retardation of Halo fanboys makes me feel like I'm going to projectile vomit from the sheer, focused, stupid.
You should see the latest popular thread on that forum, where there is actually a three-page discussion on whether or not Stargate could defeat the Xeelee.
Guhh....if I read anymore factpile at this point I think I may very well throw up. Reading through those threads genuinely makes me feel dizzy.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 am

AnticitizenOne wrote:
Khas wrote:I read that thread this morning. Last time I checked, it was decided that the Xeelee would win, and some members claimed that the match was a "clusterfuck", caused by fanboys going against something out of their league.
The debate was restarted, with Stargate fans now claiming that SG will leave the universe and blow it up behind them. And the Xeelee were nerfed so they no longer had their massive time loop.
But, that's taking away everything the Xeelee are. Although, it seems to be mostly one guy doing the SG-wanking.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Khas wrote:
But, that's taking away everything the Xeelee are. Although, it seems to be mostly one guy doing the SG-wanking.
To be fair the initial argument removed the ascended from SG so it was a bit lopsided as even with them id give it to the xeelee on pure shown abilities.

User1657
Padawan

Post by User1657 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Khas wrote:But, that's taking away everything the Xeelee are.
This was pointed out. Their response was basically "deal with it."

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:47 pm

So, by significantly nerfing the Xeelee, the Stargate fanboys are pretty much admitting to defeat, except being too stupid and stubborn to realize it?

User1657
Padawan

Post by User1657 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Preeeetty much.

User2005
Redshirt

Post by User2005 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:52 pm

The enterprise-d's saucer section in generations wieghing roughly 1.5 million metric tons impacting a mountain at roughly 100 meters per second equates to 1.5x 10^11 newtons of force; however a 600 metric ton projectile at 30 million meters per second equates to 1.8x 10^13 newtons of force. 120x more powerful and directed at one point on the enterprise's hull seems like a no brainer; however maybe it can be claimed that duranium/tritanium alloy can take that kind of impact but you must be carefull because the biggest argument pillar fans have is that there is no upper limit on star trek technology, the writers simply write in what they need to to make enterprise win and in that way star trek is unreasonable. There is no way to compare any other universe to star trek. That's not a bad thing though since star trek is a show about humans succesful venture into outer space, why wouldn't the writers write in a victory for enterprise...I mean that's the point.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:55 pm

The problem with that is that the E-D saucer section likely masses out nearly four times higher than that; 4.283 million metric tons, if we use Voyager and Constitution-class Enterprise canon densities. The E-D also was clearly travelling at least three times faster. Thus we would get 1.92735E+14 newton-meters of force, most of that concetrated on the narrow knife-edge of the saucer's leading edge, rather than distributed over the whole hull on impact with the mountain top and later when plowing through the hill and trees.

For the Pillar of Autum's weapon, accelerating a 600 tonne slug at .4 c would be roughly 4.299116499648E+21 newton-meters.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 pm

PoA slug travels at 30 000 m/s, not 120 000 km/s.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:37 am

That runs contrary to what I know about it. Do you have a source for that, Picard?
-Mike

User1657
Padawan

Post by User1657 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:02 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:That runs contrary to what I know about it. Do you have a source for that, Picard?
Halo's canon is completely messed up. I believe the 30,000m/s figure was provided in The Fall of Reach, and was completely contradicted by the '40% speed of light' figure from the Halo Encyclopedia.

User2005
Redshirt

Post by User2005 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:25 am

in the halo encyclopedia the pillar masses 100,000 M.T.. if so then the recoil from the MAC cannon is 1,134,000 m/s. and the kinetic energy of the slugs are roughly 10^22 joules. if the pillar's power core put out 10^15 watts then the charge time to fire the MAC is 1year,2mos and 17days.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 am

The problem here, is that the Enterprise D greatly outguns the Pillar of Autumn. UNSC ships typically use high chemical warheads for missile spams and their MACs are around the output of nukes detonated from a fair distance.

Ie, a 30 megaton minefield was able to destroy multiple ships and cripple several more. The Enterprise D packs 50 megaton antimatter warheads. And the Covenant? They're the guys who supposedly can go what, 1 to 4 odds and still have a good chance of winning? I somehow doubt that someone who could toss out almost double the yield of those mines as a standard torpedo is going to have trouble with the Pillar of Autumn.

And really...the power levels are just obvious. The Federation has access to shielding technology, antimatter reactors, NDF weapons, long range sophisticated sensors, transporters, and so forth. A single ship is always depicted as being capable of depleting a planet's intelligent life.

The Covenant? They need a fleet.

SSFPhoenix
Candidate

Post by SSFPhoenix » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:43 pm

To be honest I really can not see the POA winning. IT might at best bring the battle to a draw. That is of course if the E-D is caught off guard.