Pillar of Autumn vs. Enterprise-D

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: Pillar of Autumn vs. Enterprise-D

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:48 pm

I just uploaded this for ya, it is the defiant smashing through a jem hadar fighter admittedly while firing but it trashes it easily:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Hlfhgz ... 1-My5uaLCM

Remember the jem ships are tough as one impaled itself into the ground after a uncontrolled re-entry and was intact/repairable

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

My impression was Defiant blowing up bugship with phaser cannons and flying throught debris.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Picard wrote:My impression was Defiant blowing up bugship with phaser cannons and flying throught debris.
Oh it is certainly firing but it still rams the ship.

I fires as well but watch the clip frame by frame and it literally smashes one out of the way and into pieces, here is a screenie of the impact/shield flare:

Sorry for the quality.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:23 pm

That's still a tasty screen shot, yum. *Saves*

User2005
Redshirt

Post by User2005 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 am

The Enterprise-D's armor is unquestionably low for a warship, which it is not, however it's shields are quite significant to block both energy and mass up to around 10^20 joules. Unfortunately Pillar's MAC Cannon puts out 10^21 joules of kinetic energy, thereby breaking the Enterprise's shields. However, the MAC Cannon must be brought to bear which would be an extremely difficult task. it would be like the battleship Missouri attempting to fire one of its main guns at the latest air force jet fighters. the enterprise's slowest impulse is twice the speed of a MAC slug(.8c-vs-.4c).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Welcome to the forum, Schonovic

As you point out, the E-D is not a warship, or rather it is not a dedicated warship, like say the Defiant. But as pointed out in the rest of the article, the ramming of the Odyssey in "The Jem'Hadar" the attack ship clearly explodes just prior to or on impact with the Odyssey. This is in contrast to the attack ship from "The Ship", which if you read this thread, you will see it crashed into 90 meters of solid rock at high velocity and was later seen to be still intact. As another example, the E-D's saucer section crash in the movie "Generations", the saucer leading edge plows right through the rock of a mountain top hundreds of meters a second, then several hills and thousands of large trees, and never even so much as gets the paint scratched.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:57 pm

schonovic wrote: however it's shields are quite significant to block both energy and mass up to around 10^20 joules. Unfortunately Pillar's MAC Cannon puts out 10^21 joules of kinetic energy, thereby breaking the Enterprise's shields.
Where do you get those figures from?

User2005
Redshirt

Post by User2005 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:00 pm

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 am

Oh dear god that thread. The retardation of Halo fanboys makes me feel like I'm going to projectile vomit from the sheer, focused, stupid.

User1657
Padawan

Post by User1657 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:51 am

the atom wrote:Oh dear god that thread. The retardation of Halo fanboys makes me feel like I'm going to projectile vomit from the sheer, focused, stupid.
You should see the latest popular thread on that forum, where there is actually a three-page discussion on whether or not Stargate could defeat the Xeelee.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:17 am

Thankfully, my brother was on the side that said the Xeelee would win, and was even calling out the Stargate fanboys, saying that they were "wanking Stargate more than the ICS wanks Star Wars".

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Picard wrote:My impression was Defiant blowing up bugship with phaser cannons and flying throught debris.
Oh it is certainly firing but it still rams the ship.

I fires as well but watch the clip frame by frame and it literally smashes one out of the way and into pieces, here is a screenie of the impact/shield flare:

Sorry for the quality.
I don't see any shield flare. It looks like phaser round to me.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:08 pm

User1657
Padawan

Post by User1657 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Khas wrote:Thankfully, my brother was on the side that said the Xeelee would win, and was even calling out the Stargate fanboys, saying that they were "wanking Stargate more than the ICS wanks Star Wars".
The sad thing is, Stargate is winning. Reading through the thread makes my brain hurt.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 pm

I read that thread this morning. Last time I checked, it was decided that the Xeelee would win, and some members claimed that the match was a "clusterfuck", caused by fanboys going against something out of their league.