Pillar of Autumn vs. Enterprise-D

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Picard
Starship Captain

Re: Pillar of Autumn vs. Enterprise-D

Post by Picard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:16 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:That runs contrary to what I know about it. Do you have a source for that, Picard?
-Mike
Fall of Reach I think. And I don't know what you know about it, since it is stated in highest canon (HALO: Reach game) that "glassing" is just BS propaganda term and that Covenant don't literally glass the planet - which they would be quite capable of if their ships could put out teratons of firepower with one plasma torpedo. So yeah, no teratons.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 am

Currently reading some Halo antologies, volume 2, where an Elite is walking on a planet they "glassed"...
While the surface is now barren, some buildings that were bricks and mortar are still standing, and the ground, aside from the most powerful mark, isn't glassed...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Even the Nova bomb has to be some bullshit coverup for some rare artifact. The description of how it attains such a high yield with a mere fusion trick doesn't pass basic science but, since the project and its making are secret, I suppose that the technical datasheet that spoke of fusion is the only thing they let pass through. It's possible that the device was initiated through a fusion phase, perhaps to break something powerful.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Even the Nova bomb has to be some bullshit coverup for some rare artifact. The description of how it attains such a high yield with a mere fusion trick doesn't pass basic science but, since the project and its making are secret, I suppose that the technical datasheet that spoke of fusion is the only thing they let pass through. It's possible that the device was initiated through a fusion phase, perhaps to break something powerful.
Fusion that initiates a M/AM reaction?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Fusion that initiates technobabble. I don't remember exact description, but I think its way more powerful than normal M/AM bomb.