Homeworld meets Dune?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
User1652
Padawan

Homeworld meets Dune?

Post by User1652 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:12 pm

It has been a while since I have watched the movie Dune and I have not even read the book Dune and I have been interested in checking out the game Homeworld 2 but this just crossed my mind recently.

Scenario: What would happen if the Hiigarans from the Homeworld games somehow came into contact with the planet Dune? How will the people on dune and the other houses react to them being there?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Homeworld meets Dune?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:36 am

None of the Major and Minor Houses of the Laansrad will react well at all to anyone being at Arrakis, especially in the time before the rise of Emperor Paul "Muad'Dib" Atreides since at that time Arrakis is the only known source of the Spice melange. And without the Spice, the entire economy of the Old Empire would utterly collapse and the Spacer Guild's Navigators would be unable to guide the enourmous Heighliners safely through interstellar space, thus stranding the military ships and forces of the Padishah Emperor and the Laansrad.

The real question here is which Homeworld race "discovers" Arrakis? The Kushan? The Bentusi?
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Kushan are Hiigarans. Taiidan are nothing but occupators.

And he specified Homeworld 2, so that is irrelevant. Also is irrelevant who discovered them, since it does not mean getting into contact.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:31 am

No, it does matter. The faction that makes contact, such as the Bentusi are peaceful traders who's contact might scare the hell out of the Old Empire, especially since these are actual aliens, not some rogue Humanity, or worse yet, the return of Synchronized Empire of the Thinking Machines and Omnius.

The big problem for any first contact is that the factions of the Homeworld games use those thinking machine abominations! Bet that'll start some fighting assuming whoever makes contact with the Old Empire refuses to give them up.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm

The faction that makes contact,
You didn't understand what I'm saying, or you simply overlook end of my sentence. Making contact isn't same as discovering; someone (say, group A) may discover someone else (group B), without ones being discovered ever knowing about first grup; so, group A has discovered group B without making contact. And if group A gives group C information about group B, and group C makes contact with group B, then group A was first to discover group B, but group C was still first to make contact with group B.

Also, Hiigarans at least look like humans, and Vaygr may look human too.

And my guess is that, in Homeworld 2 scenario, goat-throwing Vaygr ship may be quite a danger... beware kiloton-level goats!