Cthulhu Mythos is Star Trek

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
User1662
Redshirt

Cthulhu Mythos is Star Trek

Post by User1662 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:44 pm

The idea is to rip apart Trek and make it more.........interesting :)

Basically insert the Cthulhu Mythos in Trek in any way you like, substitute races out for things more in keeping with the setting, e.g.

Nazzadi (and the various types) are Romulans
Klingons are like Worf from Transformations
Conspiracy parasites are more like 4D worms from Malleus Monstrorum
Q is Nyarlathotep

Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Cthulhu Mythos is Star Trek

Post by Khas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:56 pm

The Ancient Humanoids are the Elder Things.
The Founders are Shoggoths.
The Cardassians work with the Mi-Go.
The Bajoran Prophets are the minds of the Great Race of Yith.
The Caitians serve Bastet (Egyptian Cat-Goddess who was included in the Cthulhu Mythos due to Lovecraft's fondness of cats).
Nightgaunts are Species 8472.

Boy, this could really make for an interesting fanfic. I once had an idea for a five-way crossover between Star Trek: Enterprise, Firefly, Star Fox, Diablo, and the Cthulhu Mythos. Maybe we could make it a collaborative effort on this site.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Robert Bloch, who was a contemporary and friend of H.P. Lovecraft, wrote three Star Trek episodes; "What are Little Girls Made of?", "Catspaw", and "Wolf in the Fold", which all have very strong Cthulhu mythos homage references, or very Lovecraftian themes in them.

Other species in Trek would certainly qualify as very Lovecraftian, such as the vampire cloud of "Obsession" (think Star Vampires), and Apollo from "Who Mourns for Adonis?" (he fits right in with the Eldar Gods).
-Mike

User1662
Redshirt

Post by User1662 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Khas wrote: The Ancient Humanoids are the Elder Things.
The Founders are Shoggoths.
The Cardassians work with the Mi-Go.
The Bajoran Prophets are the minds of the Great Race of Yith.
The Caitians serve Bastet (Egyptian Cat-Goddess who was included in the Cthulhu Mythos due to Lovecraft's fondness of cats).
Nightgaunts are Species 8472.
Awesome ideas, hadn't occured to me about Founders being Shoggoths, but it makes perfect senses. Maybe keep Species 8472 seperate to Gaunts? The former have a pernicious nature all of their own.
Khas wrote:Boy, this could really make for an interesting fanfic. I once had an idea for a five-way crossover between Star Trek: Enterprise, Firefly, Star Fox, Diablo, and the Cthulhu Mythos. Maybe we could make it a collaborative effort on this site.
Awesome :)

I did start a universe timeline, just for kicks at one point which also brought in B5 - Shadows and Vorlons are great Mythos material. I think Doctor Who would fit right in too, they already have measely Earth gods that subsist on worship.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal

Which could easily bring in the likes of Flint? Plus the guy that wrote the Methuseleh episode also wrote the Man from Earth about a 14,000 yr old Neanderthal who was Jesus at one point.
Mike DiCenso wrote:Robert Bloch, who was a contemporary and friend of H.P. Lovecraft, wrote three Star Trek episodes; "What are Little Girls Made of?", "Catspaw", and "Wolf in the Fold", which all have very strong Cthulhu mythos homage references, or very Lovecraftian themes in them.

Other species in Trek would certainly qualify as very Lovecraftian, such as the vampire cloud of "Obsession" (think Star Vampires), and Apollo from "Who Mourns for Adonis?" (he fits right in with the Eldar Gods).
-Mike
If you think about the cloud that Q tortured that could easily be N'Gan (I'll have to check my Mythos Encyclopedia), or some such. As to Elder Gods I was thinking something like this:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Olympians

Thoughts, ideas?