TRON L. : programs into the real world

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

TRON L. : programs into the real world

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:20 pm

If you've watched TRON LEGACY, chances are that while you knew how Users behaved on the Grid, namely a place which was supposed to support life for Users while giving them greater abilities to some extent, the movie ended with a big unknown, namely that we saw Quorra had been materialized to the real world, but we have no idea how her body would actually work in our realm.
By chance, her abilities to learn and the free reign she was given as an ISO would allow her to move around with more freedom than some mundane program. For one, their ability to roam the Outlands and even having been given birth from there, somehow.
Which also brings us to CLU's army.
It really seems he knew very little about the world he promised to his programs, and acted more on the premise of a myth. It's been clearly shown that programs couldn't move outside of certain domains (City, Arena, etc.). Only selected programs, including Rinzel and some henchmen following CLU were capable of moving around as freely as CLU.
It is never shown if CLU had ever reworked that bit at all, nor if he even could achieve that on his own. We don't know how the converted programs would behave either. The Carrier ship itself might have been an exploit of some kind to move legions of programs beyond the boundaries of the domains they were allowed to explore, but its properties, if not his mere volume, represent a whole bag of other problems.
Where would they reintegrate?
CLU didn't know much about where Users came from (from the movie, the game may reveal things and its plot is canon but I didn't play it yet). In fact, CLU was totally disappointed by what he sees when he captures Sam Flynn's Identity Disc ("I expected more"). He saw glimpses of Sam's memory before being digitized and saw how the system he came through. It appears that he wasn't particularly impressed, but it's hard to say if he expected more from Sam or from the real world, or even the portal itself.
In the end, there's no simple theory as to how the Carrier could have been reintegrated into the real world safely, or even if it would have been possible, either because of a mere volumetric issue, or because of an inadequate encryption and transfer protocol which didn't include anything for the Grid programs going to the real world.
On the other hand, Kevin really considered that there was a grave danger.
There's an obvious limitation in the real world. Outside of the technology that is clearly leaps and bounds beyond ours in some very specific department, energy requirements are still valid, and whatever would be used by the digitizer for one person or two may be all the device could be capable of.
Would have some kind of reality paradox or rift formed, progressively power by the device, where the soon to be reintegrated Carrier ship would have been slowly constructed with energy building up inside some kind of volume, until the whole thing would blow up nuclear style, only to leave the ship floating in some giant crater? Or would have everything been destroyed, with no ship, no army left whatsoever?

mojo
Starship Captain

Re: TRON L. : programs into the real world

Post by mojo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 am

wouldn't clu know everything about the real world that flynn did? he said that clu was an exact copy. i never had the feeling he was an exact copy but only insofar as knowledge about the grid was concerned.

then again, i admit freely that i was just watching the pretty lights and being disappointed that it didn't really look like tron.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:41 am

One of themes of the movies is about fathers and sons. CLU 2 is Flynn's son, and even acts like a son who's tried and tried to do everything his father wanted, but just can't make him happy, and even shows envy and jealousy towards Sam, Kevin's real son. So his motivations are based around showing his "father" that he can meet his original goals, and even make Kevin's world an ordered place as well, too.

It didn't matter to CLU what he did in the Users' World, if he could do anything at all. At the very least we know it is possible to transfer programs into the real world as we saw at the end of the movie with Quorra riding off with Sam on his bike into the breaking dawn.

Would all those programs in CLU's army have transistioned? Would the carrier or any of the aircraft and armored vehicles? We don't know, and probably never will. But we do know that Kevin Flynn took the possibility of it seriously enough to sacrifice himself by absorbing CLU.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 am

Excellent thread at SBC where people speculate about the things that would actually happen, by pushing the VR and digitizing tech to its limits, all still within the perfectly legit boundaries of the movie's plot!

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... le.233803/

The plot literally grows exponentially! :D
The more you read, the more awesomer it gets.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 am

i truly hope there is never another tron movie. legacy tainted the original, for me. it was not a very good movie. if there had to be a sequel, i would have rather it stayed the game 'tron 2.0', which FELT like tron.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm

mojo wrote:i truly hope there is never another tron movie. legacy tainted the original, for me. it was not a very good movie. if there had to be a sequel, i would have rather it stayed the game 'tron 2.0', which FELT like tron.
There is a sequel being made. And there's, alongside the video game, also a series (anime).

TL is a good sequel if you don't focus too much on the details of the original Tron. It takes liberties with some elements (some solely felt as such because of a lack of visible evolution, which the game and the series restore more adequately).

If you look closely, you'll see some "bridging" being done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4qtyvae0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqpoLZJkx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_DKrlOESV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdTce7rVTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZLONRreKAI

amashrill_