Magneto vs Palpatine Vader and Dooku

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: Magneto vs Palpatine Vader and Dooku

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 pm

mojo wrote:what's wrong with superboy prime? the last i saw of him he was trapped at the end of whatever crisis he killed 'reign of the superman' superboy. did he get out and wreak mighty vengeance or something?
he was a terribly inconsistent character that never impressed me overmuch and I spent about two and a half years explaining to Sshield fanboys why guys like gladiator and Thanos would wreck his shit. he got turned into an internet troll apparently

then they started putting him against Sentry in fail vs fail threads.
Praeothmin wrote:Yup, but I didn't stop early enough to get spared the shitty Spider-Clone saga... :(
go wiki "one more day" they actually created a saga worse than then Clone fiasco

you should try reading Invincible it's a young new series and it's not overly wanked at all. plus the lead villians are basically Saiyans with handlebar mustaches and very weak versions of Kryptonian powers

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:10 pm

goddamn, dude, you might want to qualify that 'young new' part of your description of invincible. you're talking about the image book that's like a decade old, right? i mean, it' s young in relation to something like superman, but i wouldn't generally describe a decade old book as young and new.

speaking of image, did you ever read backlash or the maxx?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:27 am

mojo wrote:goddamn, dude, you might want to qualify that 'young new' part of your description of invincible. you're talking about the image book that's like a decade old, right? i mean, it' s young in relation to something like superman, but i wouldn't generally describe a decade old book as young and new.

speaking of image, did you ever read backlash or the maxx?
it's new in that it's been around for ten years when it comes to comic franchises that's pretty new. As for Maxx no sadly I haven't I got into Spawn ans Supreme and then went more into Dark Horse. Maxx I've heard good things about didn't MTV do a series on it?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:35 am

yeah, mtv did a maxx series for that weird 'oddities' thing they did for two seasons. the other thing they did for 'oddities' was the thing where the alien lived in that kid's head. it was awful. the maxx thing was alright, but it went waaay off course as opposed to the comic book, which was only 32 issues long anyway. if you ever read comics from demonoid or something like that, look it up. it was good.

User1469
Padawan

Post by User1469 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:fight takes place on Curoscant outside the senate this pre-Mace Windu beating him crippled Sidious.

Magneto is in his prime.
Erik can do whatever he wants. Literally. It's sad that this is a vs. Movie Mags might still be able to win.

Comic Erik destroys all of Coruscant.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Well, comic book Magneto trashes any and all Force user, EU or Movies, since he can control all electromagnetic forces, meaning light, etc...
EU Force users are capable of shit even Magneto in the comics isn't. For one, they can attack him with ghosts and spirits (yes, really) that he can't fight, because he doesn't have any "mystic" powers. Luke and the Emperor in the EU are also heavily wanked -- their Force powers destroy starships that make the Executor look small. And then I don't mean wound, but completely wipe out. As in tearing them apart into small fragments. They might be able to tussle with even Magneto in the comics on a good day.

But neither Vader, Dooku nor any other Sith generally gets anywhere close to that level.
Movie Magneto can compete vs EU Force users, and completely trounces Movie Force Users (while Palpatine and Yoda had to concentrate to move senate pods, Magneto lifted the frakking Golden Gate bridge)...
I'd say when you're duelling people who're basically telekinetics, brute force doesn't really matter so much as speed and aim. Someone who can crush a guy's throat will still win over someone who can crush the other guy's planet, if the former's faster and the latter of human-like durability.

In Magneto's case (movie version) he needs to accelerate some metal object towards his enemies to do damage. That takes more time than a lot of Force users in the EU take disabling their opponents when they're serious. (Many employ stuff like causing strokes or massive brain hemorrhage -- basically Vader's throat crushing but optimized for quick kill rather than torture.) Yoda's Force push in ROTS might possibly also qualify; it certainly knocked Palpatine's guards out of the fight real quick.

Theoretically, if they use their powers intelligently, most movie Jedi can beat movie Magneto if they get the drop on him. But generally, they'll do stupid stuff like waving lightsabers at people instead of telekinesisizing (Is that really a word?) them. So, I'll bet in most cases they'd lose.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:08 pm

General Donner wrote:EU Force users are capable of shit even Magneto in the comics isn't. For one, they can attack him with ghosts and spirits (yes, really) that he can't fight, because he doesn't have any "mystic" powers. Luke and the Emperor in the EU are also heavily wanked -- their Force powers destroy starships that make the Executor look small. And then I don't mean wound, but completely wipe out. As in tearing them apart into small fragments. They might be able to tussle with even Magneto in the comics on a good day.
IIRC, Comic book Magneto can create small black holes...
Can any Force user do this, past or present?
And the man can resist Charles Xavier's mind powers, so what chances do the Force users have?
His shields resisted attacks by very powerful energy attacks, the kind that can shatter mountainsides...
Can any Force user do this?
If so, how fast could they?
That takes more time than a lot of Force users in the EU take disabling their opponents when they're serious.
I said he can compete, not that he beat them all...
In fact, I believe most EU Force users beat movie Mags...
Theoretically, if they use their powers intelligently, most movie Jedi can beat movie Magneto if they get the drop on him.
Then they are not movie Jedi, are they now?
Because movie Jedi are not the brightest lot, and they rarely use their powers intelligently...
And a guy who flips cars instantly with slight control will not be stopped by a slow Force Choke...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:26 am

Praeothmin wrote:
And the man can resist Charles Xavier's mind powers, so what chances do the Force users have?
to add to this since the 1990's Charles has been capable of mentally phone sexing his girlfriend across a few hundred million light years and mind raping a few billion people is totally doable. Really there are only like four of five characters that are strong enough to resist him mentally. among them are monsters like the Silver Surfer and Dr Doom (not that Magnus compares to either of the two but all the same)
Praeothmin wrote:His shields resisted attacks by very powerful energy attacks, the kind that can shatter mountainsides...
it usually requires enough force to level a country to start weakening his shields and he's taken the offensive might needed to wipe Africa off the map before collapsing
Praeothmin wrote: I said he can compete, not that he beat them all...
In fact, I believe most EU Force users beat movie Mags...
Exar Kun Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos and Raven would not even notice movie Magneto honestly they'd wonder what insect was buzzing around them.

hell EU Yoda tore some ones soul out film X-men aren't touching that hell there isn't any one in the movie marvelverse that can touch that really
General Donner wrote:[

EU Force users are capable of shit even Magneto in the comics isn't. For one, they can attack him with ghosts and spirits (yes, really) that he can't fight, because he doesn't have any "mystic" powers. Luke and the Emperor in the EU are also heavily wanked -- ]
Eric's messed with souls before
their Force powers destroy starships that make the Executor look small. And then I don't mean wound, but completely wipe out. As in tearing them apart into small fragments. They might be able to tussle with even Magneto in the comics on a good day.
considering his recent accomplishment while weakened and nearly depowered it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to claim Eric is capable of yanking every single free floating rock in the solar system loose and then suddenly hurl them at curoscant. His current range seems to be measured in light years if tracking an FTL planet killing bullet is doable while basically a pale shadow of his former self
But neither Vader, Dooku nor any other Sith generally gets anywhere close to that level.
Kun telepathically froze like three thousand or sentient beings

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:Eric's messed with souls before

Oh really? When did this shit happen?
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:there isn't any one in the movie marvelverse that can touch that really
Well, while not as powerful as EU Siths, movie Thor is pretty High end, and movie Silver Surfer as well...

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Praeothmin wrote:IIRC, Comic book Magneto can create small black holes...
Can any Force user do this, past or present?
I doubt it was really black holes. Wormholes, maybe. Since IIRC those were used to transport people.

The Emperor does that quite easily in the EU. Big enough for Star Destroyers.
I don't think he really can when Xavier's firing at full power. (The comics where he does, in my experience, are those where Magneto tends to get curbstomped.) It's just he's usually nicer about it, because they're best-friend enemies and all.
His shields resisted attacks by very powerful energy attacks, the kind that can shatter mountainsides...
Can any Force user do this?
If so, how fast could they?
Some Jedi in the EU can withstand quite impressive energies. We have examples of them tanking tons of explosives going off around them, immersing in boiling water, walking on lava without ill effect. Some of the insaner examples have them withstanding turbolasers. (Weapons that should be in at least the kiloton range even with low-end figures.)

EU Jedi can be really wankish at times.
Then they are not movie Jedi, are they now?
True. ;)

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:03 am

as far as i know, magneto has no chance against xavier without his wacky helmet. am i missing something? and again, does it matter? if the helmet can completely cut off interference from xavier, what chance does telepathy or mental control from force users have? magneto has effortlessly resisted all mental abilities from xavier, jean grey, jean grey as phoenix, emma frost, countless psychics. THAT HELMET IS THE SHIT. is anyone really going to argue that a force user could muster mental force above and beyond the goddamn phoenix?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:27 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:

-Mike
i can't find this anywhere, which is weird given the existence of spirits and ghosts and whatnot in the marvel universe. i would think that he must have been attacked by them at some point in his history. not that it matters, given the massive advantages comic book mags has over jedi/sith. seriously?! what is a force ghost going to do to magneto?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:01 am

mojo wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:

-Mike
i can't find this anywhere, which is weird given the existence of spirits and ghosts and whatnot in the marvel universe. i would think that he must have been attacked by them at some point in his history. not that it matters, given the massive advantages comic book mags has over jedi/sith. seriously?! what is a force ghost going to do to magneto?
Place itself into Magneto's body and sing some crap and make him glow.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 am

General Donner wrote:EU Force users are capable of shit even Magneto in the comics isn't. For one, they can attack him with ghosts and spirits (yes, really) that he can't fight, because he doesn't have any "mystic" powers.
1. are you talking about force ghosts? because if magneto can hold off telepathic force attacks, then please, how is a force ghost going to be any different? and again, please, what is a force ghost going to do to magneto anyway? it's just.. i mean.. it's silly. would he even notice they were there?
2. define 'mystic', please. you might have gotten away with that before lucas decided that even the force needed a scientific explanation. i'm no star wars genius, but every single time i've come across something that looks like magic in the eu, it's actually the force.
3. is there even evidence that the force itself is a form of energy that magneto cannot control? i can provide evidence that magneto can control other forms of energy besides magnetism. there is at least a small chance that placing magneto in the presence of the force would make him the most powerful force user of all time, allowing him to even cut off all access to the force to anyone else for thousands of miles around him.