Star Trek vs Babylon 5

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
User1652
Padawan

Star Trek vs Babylon 5

Post by User1652 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:44 pm

I found this video a while ago and I thought it was awesome so I would like to post it here. It is from the movie "Star Wrek" but I thought it was a amazing crossover and now I would like to post it so you can check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLk0hhWBhEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PucduOfL ... re=related

What do you guys think of it?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek vs Babylon 5

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Nice vids, the only thing is, from what I've read over here and at SBC, B5 isn't anywhere near ST in firepower, so the ST side should have curbstomped... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:24 am

It's from the parody fanfilm "Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning". Funny movie. Of course it's not lopsided.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:43 am

Most of the really big issues were hammered out in the "B5, ST & SG stuff (ships, firepower, bits and bangs)" thread from nearly two years ago. You might want to read it as it has some pretty detailed discussion and evidence, which I believe will answer your questions.
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:31 pm

As a rule of thumb: B5 is considered pretty low tier sci-fi unless you start getting into its own EU wank stuff. Still, on screen we see ships getting pwn'd by 2 megaton nukes, at distance.

To that end: Star Trek is an order of magnitude above B5, and some of the weakest star trek races would be first one level in B5. Most star trek ships couldn't even be caught or intercepted by B5 ships, much less defend against them in any meaningful fashion.

Or just the shortest answer possible:

Shields and Transporters = Win

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm

There is a Star Trek/B5 crossover fanfic where the UFP and Klingons aid the Earth Alliance in the Earth-Minbari War, and hand the Minbari's asses to them on a silver platter. Especially when they hack into the Minbari speaker systems and start blaring J-Pop, Klingon Opera, and Heavy Metal songs to disrupt the crystalline structures of the Minbari vessels.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:17 pm

That would either be a very awesome fanfic, or a very awful one. There's not much room in-between. Do you have a link to it?
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Khas wrote:There is a Star Trek/B5 crossover fanfic where the UFP and Klingons aid the Earth Alliance in the Earth-Minbari War, and hand the Minbari's asses to them on a silver platter. Especially when they hack into the Minbari speaker systems and start blaring J-Pop, Klingon Opera, and Heavy Metal songs to disrupt the crystalline structures of the Minbari vessels.
by skeet yeah it's an awesome fic two moments that were especially awesome was when sulu comes out of warp and a terrified EA fighter looks at the excelsior looming in front of him and fires off a nuke..and then craps his pants when he realizes he just team killed Earths allies and probably doomed his race..then the dust clears and the ships standing there just fine and Sulu hails

"are you finished mister"

I laugh every time

that and when Kirk gets in a minbari's face "We can keep trading these losses with you for another fifty years before it becomes a problem..can you say the same thing?" gives you an idea how boned they are

plus The Gorn..I think skeet did for the Gorn what I'm trying to do for the changelings..every time they show up in the story I'm reminded of either the raptors from Jurassic park or sharptooth from the land before time and how they freaked me out as a kid
Mike DiCenso wrote:That would either be a very awesome fanfic, or a very awful one. There's not much room in-between. Do you have a link to it?
-Mike
it's a very well written one he does another with more multiversal feel to it but I find it too convoluted still great though

User1652
Padawan

Post by User1652 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:54 pm

There is also the Star Trek vs Babylon 5 fanfic by one of the Spacebattles members called Task Force 43 here
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=189483
It is done by: Zcenicx

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:37 am

Not a bad story, though the Minbari are given too much power, even against a 23rd century Federation. Also I got amusement from this:

"Admiral James T. Kirk and the Enterprise which is being refitted even as we speak. There was always a weakness in the fact that the Constitutions didn't have rear torpedo launchers. That is changing along with a few other modifications we've decided to add."

Obviously while these guys have seen ST:ENT, they apparently either missed or started writing this before the fourth season episode "In a Mirror, Darkly Part 2" which clearly established that Connies do have at least one rear arc torpedo tube (mounted on the stardrive hull just above the hanger bay).
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:43 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:it's a very well written one he does another with more multiversal feel to it but I find it too convoluted still great though
There were a few chapters that were ruined by massively rushed writing, which resulted in some dialog and descriptions not making a hill of beans of sense, and looking very amatuer with some colossal spellng errors. Other chapters, where the author took the time and wrote carefully, there is sheer brillance that captures both franchises well.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:45 am

Trinoya wrote:As a rule of thumb: B5 is considered pretty low tier sci-fi unless you start getting into its own EU wank stuff. Still, on screen we see ships getting pwn'd by 2 megaton nukes, at distance.

To that end: Star Trek is an order of magnitude above B5, and some of the weakest star trek races would be first one level in B5. Most star trek ships couldn't even be caught or intercepted by B5 ships, much less defend against them in any meaningful fashion.
Starfury cannons can chew threw the armor of an Omega Destroyer in seconds provided the pilot doesn't get shot, and we know 200 megawatt cannons are very large threats to smugglers.
Trinoya wrote:Or just the shortest answer possible:

Shields and Transporters = Win
I tend to think about the fact the Enterprise-D tunneled a few thousand kilometers into a planet in 19 seconds, and the fact that a tiny Constitution class vessel has at least as much firepower as the Vorlon's and Shadow's super weapons.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Trinoya wrote:As a rule of thumb: B5 is considered pretty low tier sci-fi unless you start getting into its own EU wank stuff.
Several claims coming from EU readings are obvious errors or lies. From the Shadow Battlecrab that supposedly survived the nearby gigaton blast to Galen's super duper Shadow skin, it's a large pile of bullshit (and a demonstration of atrocious reading skills).
Still, on screen we see ships getting pwn'd by 2 megaton nukes, at distance.
There are some heftier nukes used later on, notably against Zabadabadum.

Anyway, in reality, B5 goes down without the superior forces. Of course, the moment you pull the Old Ones, there's no reason for Trek to limit itself to the UFP or Klingons.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:04 pm

B5 EU is complete garbage any way..I hardly see why any one would take it seriously