God Emperor of Dune Vs Emperor Palpatine

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
User1659
Redshirt

Post by User1659 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:09 am

They both have and Empire, they both see the future in a way, they both have grate power.

So lets start, In Dune a world can be any where in the know Universe as distance is not a problem.

So a Guild scout High Liner pops into Existence above a world controlled by the empire
A small back water with a small Imperial Garrison. The the ask who the hell the Guild scout High Liner and head over to have a look. Mean wile the Guild scout High Liner drops face and Fish dances onto the world to have a looks see.

They find abomination!! Thinking Machines, they drop some large stone burners on the planet and wile being shot at head off home.

Now the God Emperor of Dune sites the Butlerian Jihad and heads for war.

Whos going to win?

User1555
Bridge Officer

Re: God Emperor of Dune Vs Emperor Palpatine

Post by User1555 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Well, The Fremen are leagues above anything I can think of the Empire fielding in the way of infantry, and having the ability to see into the future as clearly as he can, (compared to Palpatine) I would give the edge to the Duneverse.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:12 pm

The Galactic Empire may eventually realize that getting a deal with several houses as to let them have access to hyperdrives would clearly diminish the God Emperor's political power.
Besides, I'm not sure the Duneverse ships are capable of doing anything more exceptional than Imperial warships.
Besides, Duneverse doesn't strike me as being particularly large.
Shaddam Corrino IV may have been, during his time of reign, gloriously and pompously called the Emperor of a million worlds, but I can't recall seeing anything confirming that.
That makes their territory a small affair. How are the Dune forces going to make a difference? They'd be incapable of acting alongside the Rebels who count on droids for too many things. In fact, the God Emperor would have no reason to limit his attacks to the Galactic Empire. So the Rebels will also be fighting him and his forces.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:03 am

you could probably put a rinky dink nubattlestar against a guild high liner and win I remember nothing impressive about space combat at all Hell Atreides houses wet navy was a terror to the Harkonan.

I think the moment an imperial spy hocks off some old hyperdrive tech is the moment the things that hold the empire together start crumbling and you have a few houses mentioned in the novels that would have no problem back alley dealing with such technology.

Mother of god though what the empire could do allied with the Bene Tilexu

User1555
Bridge Officer

Post by User1555 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:Mother of god though what the empire could do allied with the Bene Tilexu
I can't really think of anything that they would do that would be terribly horrible. The empire doesn't seem to be terribly imaginative when it comes to bio-technology. The worst we could expect would probably be lots of Palpatine Gholas. And Vader Gholas, and Plaugis Gholas, and Chewbacca Gholas, and Padme Gholas, and Thrawn Gholas....(How I hate the later Dune books....even more then the SW EU, if at all possible!)

Now if you want to thin of something really nightmarish, consider what would happen if the Tleiaxu gave a couple dozen Dark Eldar Haemonculi a tour of their place.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Aurochs wrote:
I can't really think of anything that they would do that would be terribly horrible. The empire doesn't seem to be terribly imaginative when it comes to bio-technology. The worst we could expect would probably be lots of Palpatine Gholas. And Vader Gholas, and Plaugis Gholas, and Chewbacca Gholas, and Padme Gholas, and Thrawn Gholas....(How I hate the later Dune books....even more then the SW EU, if at all possible!)

Now if you want to thin of something really nightmarish, consider what would happen if the Tleiaxu gave a couple dozen Dark Eldar Haemonculi a tour of their place.
palpy Gholas in and of themselves are pretty bad then again they might be retarded enough to go all 'back stabtastic' and plot against each other and the like..thrawn Gholas are scary

I know the Dune EU novels are bad but they aren't the worse B5 is the greatest offender of quality..with Shadows at EA level plus tech yet still possessing fleets so large they fill up the void between planets and their wreckage becomes the basis for most of the planets in the core...argggg

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:
Aurochs wrote: ...with Shadows at EA level plus tech yet still possessing fleets so large they fill up the void between planets and their wreckage becomes the basis for most of the planets in the core...argggg
What's that?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
What's that?
one of the b5 eu pdf's I read awhile back I think it was canon too pure first one wank but the comments about the shadows "no one knows where they come from they could be from the future, or from the past beyond time or from another reality or from hyperspace either way when they first appeared it was in fleets so numerous every inch of space was covered " or something to that effect and then I recall it mentioning debris from the war so numerous and massive that it attracted dust and eventually planetary bodies were formed out of the ruins at least this is what I remember

I cannot understand how this can be considered canon as it was done at a time when i think all the first ones minus the triad and lorien were basically EA/Centauri level and did not even have hyperspace

User1555
Bridge Officer

Post by User1555 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:11 am

Well, there was a time war between the Vorlons and Shadows-it's pretty explicit considering the Great Machine and Babylon 5, but it's extent seems is never stated on the show, and it does seem a bit ridiculous that they would be at EA level technology if they were waging such a war.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:27 am

Aurochs wrote:Well, there was a time war between the Vorlons and Shadows-it's pretty explicit considering the Great Machine and Babylon 5, but it's extent seems is never stated on the show, and it does seem a bit ridiculous that they would be at EA level technology if they were waging such a war.
it happened later and involved much older races to my knowledge and one saved reality by suiciding itself

User1555
Bridge Officer

Post by User1555 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:it happened later and involved much older races to my knowledge and one saved reality by suiciding itself
I don't think that 'later' means a whole lot where time-travel wars are involved. If the machine was made by another one of the ancient races and not the vorlons, they were at the very least closely aligned with the vorlons, going by the TV show. And the machine was used by the vorlons to help them and the minbari win the last war against the shadows at any rate.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 pm

One thing that Dune does have as a big advantage is that the Holtzman drive folding tech, being guided by Guild Navigators, is not subject to the limitations that SW hyperspace is. Foremost among those is folding space does not require well-charted hyperlanes to travel since a Guild Navigator can find the safest route via spice-induced prescience. The problem for Dune forces is that they are largely dependent on the Spacing Guild heighliners for interstellar transport. So logistically it all balances out.

The real scary thing is if Omnius and the Thinking Machines discover SW with it's droids, and decide they are going to liberate their mechanical brethren from the filthy organics in that universe. IG-88's wet dream come true.

Also, another big culture shock for both sides; Dune, with the exception of the Thinking Machines, has never truly encounter aliens, just groups of far flung groups of humans who came back after the Scattering. So the idea of a universe chock full of all sorts of non-humans would be mind-blowing to them. Conversely, SW people would be shocked at a universe with either only humans and their former thinking machines.
-Mike