Culture GSV vs Federation from Star Trek Expanded Universe

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Picard
Starship Captain

Culture GSV vs Federation from Star Trek Expanded Universe

Post by Picard » Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Standard shootout. I know nuff against both, so I will just watch and learn.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Re: Culture GSV vs Federation from Star Trek Expanded Univer

Post by Trinoya » Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Does the federation get access to its 'techs of the week' and do they have prior notice of the culture ship coming (that being the most important question). Also, what timeline are we speaking of and is time travel allowed at all?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Mon May 23, 2011 1:42 pm

1) techs of week - only if home-made and if Federation is technologically and scientifically capable of producing them again (interphase cloak, for example)
2) timeframe anywhere from mid-24th to mid-29th century; time travel and no time travel scenarios

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon May 23, 2011 4:01 pm

In a scenario with time travel the federation is capable of winning without much effort on their part.

In a scenario without time travel they must have proper notice or the tech of the week advantage will be rendered moot and the culture ship could destroy the federation before enough communications reach the right people to save them, at least until you start to get into the more advanced aspects of the expanded universe (26th century an onward) or start dealing with starfleet battles (in the latter case a single police cruiser of the federation is able to destroy the culture ship).

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Mon May 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Without time travel, unless if there is a be-all end-all tech-of-the-week that I missed, the Culture GSV still stomps. Any superweapon the Enterprise has actually has to hit the Culture GSV in under a microsecond of entering the GSV's attack range, which is several light years, or it's done. Any technology that the Federation brings to the table not possessed by the Culture gets effectorized and reverse engineered in a few seconds. A GSV is also capable of recreating the entire Culture from scratch.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 23, 2011 11:11 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Without time travel, unless if there is a be-all end-all tech-of-the-week that I missed, the Culture GSV still stomps. Any superweapon the Enterprise has actually has to hit the Culture GSV in under a microsecond of entering the GSV's attack range, which is several light years, or it's done. Any technology that the Federation brings to the table not possessed by the Culture gets effectorized and reverse engineered in a few seconds. A GSV is also capable of recreating the entire Culture from scratch.
On the last point, that would take some serious time, and it would not be able to repopulate all worlds and orbitals just like that, even if I understood that no one dies, but any death corresponds to the loss of memory, since that is not saved and downloaded into a new body. That a GSV could handle all the knowledge of the GSV is good, but the Asgards for example can rebuild their civilization from scratch as well, and can do the cloning. Well of course, those same Asgards do have impressive time dilation capabilities, with their latest cores capable of giving you 1,577,880,000 seconds in a bottle for 1 second in real space, and even rewind the whole thing internal time back to the point it was started, while also being capable of isolating people or stuff from the time rewind.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Tue May 24, 2011 1:07 pm

I wasn't aware of the Culture having effective weapons ranges in the multiple LYs. Perhaps SWVSST can quote where it says this?

Not that it's necessarily wrong given how over the top those stories are, but it's also not something I remember from the books.

As for rebuilding all the Culture, that refers to the economy and infrastructure, not individual people. But then, human beings are just pets to the Culture's ruling computers so they're in no way essential to their war effort. In fact, they'd be more efficient without having to waste resources on life support for them.