Culture GSV vs Star Trek galaxy

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Culture GSV vs Star Trek galaxy

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Khas wrote: Once V'Ger starts scanning it - in V'Ger's own style, of course - the GSV is going to have a tough time.
V'Ger might actually get along rather fabulously with the GSV since they, like V'Ger, are machine lifeforms, though V'Ger would probably not understand why the GSV tolerates the carbon-based lifeforms infesting it.
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm

I think V'ger would only be interested in gathering data from the culture, little else.

That said: SWST it's quite laughable that you're not reading what people are saying. No one here is claiming that, say, the federation, per normal debate rules, is going to defeat it.

That's why I asked what technologies the federation gets access to for this debate. And all your original post did was prevent the use of Q basically... so we still have a dozen or so godlike races that just truck around the star trek galaxy for shits and giggles, and the occasional fling with a human woman, and they don't happen to omnipotent. We have races who remove entire civilizations just by having a single angry thought. We have races that use time as a weapon, and races who alter the physical laws of the universe from the safety of their own dimension. These are races that are not a trivial affair for the ship because they can attack it in ways it's never had to deal with before.

The short of it is: You can remove all the nigh-omnipotents, you're still going to have beings of immense power, or races of immense power. They simply exist in Star Trek and are nice enough to not wipe out every living thing they come across.

Moving on: If you did give the federation access to all of its technologies as well as enough warning to implement said tech then they could certainly defend against it and preserve their culture against.. well.. the culture, but you still need to answer if they get all of that.

Digressing: I think a far more interesting debate would be Starfleet Battles vs a single culture ship. ^_^

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Oh, I forgot... we can include races like the Thasians from "Charlie X", and the Kalandons from "That Which Survives" would be pretty tough customers for the GSV to deal with.
-Mike

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 am

My apologies. How about the Star Trek galaxy as of the Dominion War, as they would be heavily militarized. If you really want, demonstrated 31th century ships could be allowed, but since the GSV is inserted into the ST universe suddenly, there isn't a timetravel back and prevent it approach.

I ruled out omnipotents or nigh omnipotents for the OP.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:37 am

I guess after the defeats he's suffered graciously at that and for that he has my praise he feels compelled to post such a spectacular rape thread

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:03 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:My apologies. How about the Star Trek galaxy as of the Dominion War, as they would be heavily militarized. If you really want, demonstrated 31th century ships could be allowed, but since the GSV is inserted into the ST universe suddenly, there isn't a timetravel back and prevent it approach.

This is similar to when the Sphere builders tried to invade, and the future time lord like UFP kicked their asses only the Culture is at a major disadvantage.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sphere_Builder

That said, given what little I've heard second hand about the Culture, they sit down and peacefully talk things out with the UFP and most other races since most races tend to be reasonably polite, and there isn't much the Culture would care to fix about them.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:19 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Did you even read the articles linked to on the temporal disruptors? We're talking about knowning exactly when and where the GSV will come out of hyperspace (this also assumes that hyperspace cannot be accessed by a sufficently advanced Trek power: i.e. the Borg transwarp, or Voth transwarp). The temporal disruptors will be there before the GSV, not fired at it or anything, and they will be out of phase with the rest of the universe making their detection difficult.
I'm assuming they can't access it. I'm also assuming the GSV can't access transwarp, etc. I see no reason to think a ship from a totally alien setting should be familiar with technobabble it hasn't ever heard about.

And I did read the article. So all right, the Culture ship runs right into them without detection. It still hops back into hyperspace after a nanosecond or so. Unless they can destroy its entire mass virtually instantaneously they aren't really a threat to it.

Don't get the impression I like the Culture or anything, by the way. I think it's crap. But in vs debates they're king. They're just that wanked.
Source for this? The temporal disruptor mines allow you to do just that. Destroy the thing in one go with a massive disruption.
It's in the novel "Excession" I believe -- at any rate that's the one with most fleet-level combat AFAIK. Sorry I can't be more precise I only borrowed the book, never bought it.

Is there evidence that the reaction of the disruptors is near instantaneous? Any effect that takes any significant time to propagate will be avoided by a Culture ship due to its heinously fast reaction times.
Why do you presume that the GSV would be able to target anywhere in the ST Milky Way galaxy with impunity while it sits in hyperspace? I do know that the scanning range of Culture ships has limits, and it must move about, or change position in realspace from time-to-time.
No, its FTL mode of transit is in hyperspace. From which it can also target weapons at realspace targets. The range is limited (more so for physical weapons than affectors), but that doesn't mean it has to expose itself. It can just zoom around in hyperspace and do one-way interactions against whatever world or ship it doesn't like.
As for the Krenim timeship, the weapon was fast enough that it wiped out an entire planetary civilization in seconds. A GSV is much smaller than a planet. Furthermore, being outside time gives an advantage that the crews of those ships could work on the problem of developing sufficent defenses and weapons to affect the GSV, then going back in time and delivering that tech prior to it's appearance in the ST-verse in the first place.

This is basically a Xelee-type strategy.
IIRC it only wiped out the civilization, not the planet as such. Now I'm not sure I remember quite how urbanized it was, but unless it was a Coruscant style planet, the civilization quite probably massed less than a Death Star equivalent, and certainly not more by a billion orders of magnitude. Which is how much heavier it would need to be for the beam to work against uber Culture reaction speeds. (1 nanosecond=1/1,000,000,000th of a second.)

Developing new technology sounds unquantifiable to me, so I don't see how it can be rationally discussed in the context of the scenario.
No, the Xelee and Photino Birds, Downstreamers, Time Lords, ect are nearly as bad, or far worse.
-Mike
[/quote]

Time Lords maybe. Xeelee and Photinos have a massive scale that allows them to defeat just about anyone else by drowning them in mass and energy, but their tech as such isn't nearly as monstrous as the Culture. ICS Star Wars could plausibly take a heavy toll on them before getting swamped. With the Culture, no one might even notice it's attacked them before they're brainwashed or wiped out.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:27 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:They can range from a mere 25 km to 200 km in size. So Donner, which class of GSV are we dealing with?
Dunno? I guessed somewhere around Death Star size (~120 km) as a rough average between the two extremes. It might be smaller or larger, I don't think the OP specified anything.
Also, interestingly enough, it is possible for the three Minds controlling the GSV to disagree, and rather violently with one another, so if the situation in the ST MW galaxy gets too nasty, they might wind up fighting one another, and as such an exiled Mind would be a huge advantage to whomever it decided to throw it's lot in with.
-Mike
I don't they think they disagree that bad. It's more like Han/Leia or Doc/Spock bickering most of the time, from what I know at least.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 pm

You need time travel, prediction and, if your weapon isn't capable of affecting objects over large distances in a matter of a few nanoseconds, you also need some serious time dilation tech.
If you can't, then you could focus on creating a pocket timeloop so the GSV is essentially stuck.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:47 pm

I am curious as what you describe as 'nigh' omnipotents... Omnipotence by definition doesn't qualify for most of the extremely powerful races, like the guy who can blink out the entire civilization with an angry though, because they have no concept of what is coming, they can't predict the future or even their own actions.

So, do you really mean 'nigh omnipotence' or just, "anything more powerful than the federation." Because as far as 'nigh omnipotence' goes you would be hard pressed to prove the qualification just because a being demonstrates a lot of power. By the argument of 'nigh omnipotence' I could just as easily say the combat tracking capabilities of the culture give them 'nigh omnipotence' in a combat situation, making your entire thread invalid from the start.

Of course, if you mean just 'really powerful' than that also invalidates it because you're removing the players of the star trek galaxy whom you know could defeat the ship.

So... we are left with the idea of beings that are 'nigh omnipotent' based on their capability to know and understand the bulk of all outcomes while having the power to effectively hinder or assistance to whatever degree they want.

By that definition dozens of beings, including the one who blinked a civilization out of existence. To explain further, the being in question couldn't undo his action, he couldn't restore life, for all his power, for all his guilt, he was incapable of undoing the very mistake he couldn't precieve he was making.

Making him not omnipotent, or even nigh omnipotent...

Just powerful.

Powerful does not equal omnipotent.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 am

What are the capacities of effectors exactly?
I read that they can inject or suck energy out of something, some claim it can be done at the molecular scale, that is, being able to snuff energy out of a molecule without affecting the others in the vicinity.
What are the ranges in relation to the feats? Is there a protection against those things?
What's the best hacking feats effectors have been seen to achieve against humanoids and advanced machines?

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:What are the capacities of effectors exactly?
I read that they can inject or suck energy out of something, some claim it can be done at the molecular scale, that is, being able to snuff energy out of a molecule without affecting the others in the vicinity.
What are the ranges in relation to the feats? Is there a protection against those things?
What's the best hacking feats effectors have been seen to achieve against humanoids and advanced machines?
They have what's best described as comic book-level no limits control of all electromagnetic forces -- I honestly don't know what the upper limits are on fine control if any. Supposedly they rewrite brains and computers simply by switching around the electrons in them (or photons for Culture computers), though that makes little sense -- more like rewiring synapses perhaps?

Range for detection of even quite small energy sources (say, a blaster of phaser in use) is multiple light years at least. (Either the EM part is sent by wormhole like other Culture stuff, or it's not really EM but total technobabble.) For offensive use I can't recall what the high end would be offhand. A safe lower limit would be a ship in orbit over an earth like planet could use it to read and brainwash human ... or kind of humanoid alien. .. minds on the planet. Almost certainly the ranges in combat are much greater.

No protection is known to exist last I checked, but I haven't read the last couple of novels. Even the Culture's own supercomputers can resist them only by using multiple redundant systems and repairing the afflicted ones on the spot (with their nanowank).

IOW, there's a limit on how fast they can take over the whole computer architecture, and that's pretty much it for the limits AFAIK. But I'm not a real Culture expert, just a casual reader.

Edit -- Oh, and they also don't work on ascended energy beings, at least not the kind the Culture has (the Sublime)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue May 17, 2011 6:12 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:My apologies. How about the Star Trek galaxy as of the Dominion War, as they would be heavily militarized. If you really want, demonstrated 31th century ships could be allowed, but since the GSV is inserted into the ST universe suddenly, there isn't a timetravel back and prevent it approach.

The Thasians are not nigh-omnipotents, just very extremely powerful, and the Kalandeons were capable of building an artifcial planet the size of the Earth's Moon. That is, the Kalandans built something on a scale 60-100 times larger than the largest GSV or an ICS/Saxtonian Death Star 2. The Kalandans also had the power to hurl the nearly 1 million ton Enterprise 990 light years away without breaking a sweat and could project Losira copies onboard her while the ship was at high warp hundreds of light years away.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 17, 2011 6:22 pm

@ Mike
Can't find any info on those Kalandeons. Are you sure of the spelling here?

@ GD
I wonder why they don't use their effectors more often then. The piece of text on page one speaks of the Killing Time not seeing all the ships of the last fourth wave, and the rerouted missiles are said to detonated the moment they were detected, certainly implying that they were not immediately seen even being affected.

Damn, feels like I have to add another scheduled task to that long list of finding and verifying quotations and threads to complete.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue May 17, 2011 6:28 pm

The Kalandans entry, and the "That Which Survives" entry here.
-Mike