4 Minbari Sharlins and 2 whitestars vs the SSD

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: 4 Minbari Sharlins and 2 whitestars vs the SSD

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon May 30, 2011 3:02 pm

how canon is the figure that puts Sharlins as barfing out 2 megs per second from each of their beams?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:how canon is the figure that puts Sharlins as barfing out 2 megs per second from each of their beams?
Haha lol level of canon I suppose.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:57 pm

But in canon sharlin was taken out by proximity detonation of 2 megaton nuclear mine. Meaning that energy absorbed is more like few dozen kilotons (mine wasn't really near, from what I remember).

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:49 am

Well here is a clip of the Battle of Endor I found. In the movie there would be cuts between the space battle and planet side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMvadAFqLQ
Enterprise E wrote: Those weren't blasters or lasers that were used against the Executor's shields. The sound effects were different from the normal rebel fighter laser cannons' sound effects, and the projectiles traveled too slowly for them to be blasters, from what I could tell.
They seem to be fired from the A-Wings blasters/lasers, and bolts have no set speed they travel at in the movies and we see them at an odd angle.

I do recall reading somewhere that A-Wings had missiles/torpedos of some type in the novel, but they don't appear in the movies.
Enterprise E wrote: And while the battle did last hours, there was the issue that at first, only the fighters were attacking.
First sending waves of fighters is standard SW tactics, and that was only the beginning that lasts for a very short time. They needed to use the Imperial fleet for cover as soon as the DS-II started firing..
Enterprise E wrote: And in all of the scenes that we do see, besides the two A-Wings using their missiles, I still can't see them merely being blasters, to destroy the shields we never once see any rebel ships firing on the Executor.
The
Executor was destroyed at the end of the battle. There was plenty of time for ships to fire on it, and we see ships seemingly firing on it before the order to focus on it is given.

Enterprise E wrote: The only real exchange that I remember seeing was a Rebel frigate up against an Imperial Star Destroyer.
Check 4:44

The Super Star Destroyer verses a Nebula-B. We don't see what happens to the Rebel ship, but we don't see the Nebula-B later.

Check the clip at about 6:16 and you will see the SSD being hit in various places., and a Star Destroyer blow up.
Enterprise E wrote: Not even when the bridge shields are down and a Mon Calamari Cruiser is at point blank range of it with an opportunity to inflict incredible damage did we see anything firing on it.
Forgive me, but I'm not sure what you are talking about?
Enterprise E wrote: To me, that is very telling about the fact that the shields were still up at the time, especially with the officer telling Admiral Piett that they lost their bridge deflector shield, as well as strength of the SSD's shields, at least around the shield generators.
Given we see fresh Star Destroyers get their shield domes destroyed at the star of the fight I'm more inclined to think there is something unseen going on.